As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Going abroad for 2 weeks! Need DS/GBA suggestions.

TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm going to Hong Kong for two weeks in a couple weeks. It is going to be about 20 hours of flying, as well as many hours of layovers. I'm thinking, I may take my DS, at least to play in the airport. I know some airlines have relaxed the restrictions on wireless devices, but I don't know if the ones I'm on will. And I don't think you can disable the wireless on the DS like you can a PSP.

So. I need some games that:
1) are engaging and could keep a dude occupied for a long time.
2) can be found for cheap.

I have Etrian Oddyssey, which I like, but don't play much anymore. I haven't beaten it yet, but it just got a little too sloggy for me.
New Super Mario Bros. Which is great, but I've beaten, so now I'm just working on collecting all the Star Coins, which gets old after a while.
Cooking Mama! Actually for my wife but I played it a little and had some fun.

I enjoy:
RPGs: I would snatch the new Chrono Trigger up if I could find it for about 20 dollars.
Puzzle games: Puzzle Quest is strongly tempting me.
Platformers: They hearken back to my childhood, and I love honing my skill.
Things that are fun!

Edit: I've played a ton of GBA games, but don't own any. I've played the Mario and Luigi RPGs a fair amount, but not looking to pick them up at this juncture.

steam_sig.png
Tofystedeth on

• The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Trace Memory - Adventure/Mystery
    Hotel Dusk - 1st Person Adventure/Mystery, billed as an "interactive novel"
    Syberia - Adventure
    Super Mario 64
    Final Fantasy III or IV
    Pokemon?
    Professor Layton - Puzzles, amazing

I'm sure there are many more.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    puzzle quest is a wonderful time killer if you like bejeweled to start with.

I'd say Trauma Center (2), the first one is great fun, but hard to find. Second one came out not too long ago.

The World Ends With You is an excellent RPG.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is great for strategy as is Advance Wars.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hmm, interactive novels/adventure games often don't hold me for very long. I played the first FFT:A a few years ago, nearly beat it. Not sure I wanna have another go at it. I forgot about TWEWY. I might see if I can grab that. And maybe Advance Wars or FF3/4.

Also, I played the PC demo for Puzzle Quest when Tycho linked several years ago. Great fun.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    avoid puzzle quest Galatrix though or visit the Games and Tech section here, big thread on it. many people seem to hate it.

also there is a newer semi sequel to PQ called Puzzle Kindoms, just came out like a day or two ago so reviews are slowly coming in. again the thread in G&T has good info on this

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Puzzle Quest is highly recommended. I'm also in love with FFIV DS right now. No grinding, just RPG goodness. I own Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and i enjoy it, I just though it would be more SRPG than straight up turn based tactics.

Smurph on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The World Ends With You is an excellent RPG.

Ah! Forgot about TWEWY!

I don't own it (yet) but I've played a bunch. Really one of the best original RPGs for the DS, which can sometimes get clogged with ports and re-makes.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    avoid puzzle quest Galatrix though or visit the Games and Tech section here, big thread on it. many people seem to hate it.
    Damn.
    I was pretty excited by the teasers they showed many moons ago.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dragon quest V is a remake of the old school snes rpg that I highly recommend. There is a thread on G&T for it.

Disgaea DS is a fun strategy rpg that can devour hours of your life. Similar to FFT:A, I like Disgaea's setting/characters more though.

For platformers pretty much all of the Castlevania games on DS are great. The newest one, Order of Ecclesiaca is the hardest out of all of them.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • TrikoTriko Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is a must have experience on the DS, classic Zelda gameplay played entirely with the touchscreen. Playing a Zelda game without an FAQ can be challenging in some areas, but since you're gonna have tons of free time, you should give the game a try.

It can be had for $26 at - http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Phantom-Hourglass-Nintendo-DS/dp/B000FRV2UK

A great deal, imo.

Triko on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd pay $40 for Chrono Trigger for the DS. Trust me, I have it and it's worth the $40.

I'd also invest in FF6 for GBA, if you can find it.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?