Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Recommend On! : GBA edition

2»

Posts

  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The GBA catalog is ridiculous, and used games at GS that aren't Pokemon are dirt cheap. Anytime I travel I make a note to try out any GameStop I see and look in that case for such hits as Ninja 5-0, Doom/Doom II, Rebelstar, Drill Dozer, Warioware Twisted or whatever the hell else they released for that glorious handheld.
    Hm, I forgot about Ninja 5-0, I wanna pick that up. There's no Gamestops with it near me...

    ...oh, looking at the Amazon prices I might know why. Fuck! I had no idea.

    Mugenmidget on
    mtap.jpg
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    both metroids are incredible.

    Metroid Zero Mission is exactly how remakes should be done.

    Imagine if Zero mission were the fist metroid game to come out- We would still be talking about how amazing it was.

    Sparrow: just take however much you are willing to spend into your local game shop and go wild on the GBA section. Things there are so cheap that you will walk out with enough good games to last you the next few months on only £30.

    Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    both metroids are incredible.

    Metroid Zero Mission is exactly how remakes should be done.

    Imagine if Zero mission were the fist metroid game to come out- We would still be talking about how amazing it was.

    Sparrow: just take however much you are willing to spend into your local game shop and go wild on the GBA section. Things there are so cheap that you will walk out with enough good games to last you the next few months on only £30.


    Metriod was amazing... for its time.

    Jubal77 on
    steam_sig.png
  • MegaMekMegaMek Stars burn so bright; much better than neon lights.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brym wrote: »
    Metroid Fusion (better than Zero Mission)
    A million times NO. Fusion is the weakest in the entire series. It is a decent game, but it is not a Metroid game.

    MegaMek on
    Playing Fallout 4 on PC? Have I got the mods for you!
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just because there's a hand guiding you doesn't mean it isn't a Metroid game. It is, in fact, completely a Metroid game. A lot of the bullshit was cut out, I thought. It was streamlined, contained, difficult in the right spots, and a pretty fresh take on the series. There was still plenty of exploration involved when shit got messed up, which it did pretty frequently.

    Weakest in the series? No. Not even close. Total Metroid series would have to be Hunters, since it was mostly just online, and pretty crappy at that. Metroid 2 doesn't hold up particularly well, nor does the original. They were awesome for the time, but being forced to collect over 150 missiles is a pain in the balls, since the end boss of 2 takes exactly 150 missiles to kill.


    Some things to avoid:

    Tetris Worlds. Only get it if you absolutely must have Tetris on your Advance. It's a pretty mediocre version of Tetris.

    Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX. You'd think that Contra III on the GBA would be wonderful, but they cut out the two weapon switching, the bombs, and replaced the overhead levels with levels from Hard Corps, which was designed for faster movement, different weapons, and most of all, sliding. The second stage of EX is the Train level from Hard Corps, where sliding is pretty much necessary to beat the stage boss without dying.

    Mustachio Jones on
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have one explicit ANTI-recommendation too.

    do NOT, under ANY circumstances, buy Sigma Star Saga.

    it is Not Awesome. it looks Awesome, but it is Not.
    Damn, you keep being spot on. I was so thrilled by the concept of it and picked it up for like $9.99 new (not a surprise looking back) and was still VERY disappointed.

    yeah, the concept was interesting, but if you're going to replace the random encounters in rpgs with shmup levels, they need to be really awesome shmup levels.

    they were not.

    true. I don't mind that I own it tbh but it's definitely not a great game by any means.

    it's closely related to uhmm... Rebe;star: Tactical Command, they shared a strat guide for some reason iirc, but Rebelstar is a MUCh better game.

    edit - thread is reminding me how badly I want a micro. my ds is just slightly too much to carry around.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Wrestling.png
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've played Metroids Zero Mission and Fusion more than my other GBA games combined. Short, satisfying, lots of potential for replay.

    WarioWare Twisted is a lot of fun, too.

    Ballman on
    JC of DI wrote:
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So, there's a video of Kurt Cobain in [Guitar Hero 5] out. I feel dirty watching this, he just looks wrong.

    Well Cobain's mo-cap session was completely useless, so you can't blame them.
  • MegaMekMegaMek Stars burn so bright; much better than neon lights.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just because there's a hand guiding you doesn't mean it isn't a Metroid game.
    I disagree.
    Weakest in the series? No. Not even close... Hunters
    You got me there; I wasn't even thinking about that one.
    Metroid 2 doesn't hold up particularly well, nor does the original. They were awesome for the time, but being forced to collect over 150 missiles is a pain in the balls, since the end boss of 2 takes exactly 150 missiles to kill.
    I didn't like 2 as much as 1, but I still enjoy both more than Fusion, even now. 1 is still great, and by extension, Zero Mission.

    In the end, Fusion did add some cool things (I like the ice missiles myself) but it's exactly the hand-holding that makes if feel wrong. That and a piss-easy final boss.

    MegaMek on
    Playing Fallout 4 on PC? Have I got the mods for you!
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If I remember correctly, there were Chozo statues in Zero Mission that told you where to get your next item, or the next area to go to, or the next boss. Metroid Prime did relatively the same thing. Every Metroid game after Super Metroid has some form of directional guide to it. Fusion decided to tell a story with it.

    And I'm going to argue that the last boss was the one before the 'final' boss.

    Mustachio Jones on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Stars burn so bright; much better than neon lights.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If I remember correctly, there were Chozo statues in Zero Mission that told you where to get your next item, or the next area to go to, or the next boss. Metroid Prime did relatively the same thing. Every Metroid game after Super Metroid has some form of directional guide to it. Fusion decided to tell a story with it.
    True, but it's only for a few required items, and you don't always have to follow it.
    And I'm going to argue that the last boss was the one before the 'final' boss.
    Well, actually, that's the one I'm talking about, the SA-X. It's really easy compared to, say, the Mother Brain.

    In any case, I was just expressing my dissatisfaction of your opinion. I think Zero Mission is better, and I still don't think much of Fusion :)

    MegaMek on
    Playing Fallout 4 on PC? Have I got the mods for you!
  • ZoneZone Registered User
    edited May 2009
    which is the best of the portable f-zero's?

    Zone on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Both of them are pretty good. GP Legend's got a 'story' mode and has all the characters and stuff from X and GX. Maximum Velocity is an all new cast of characters and tracks and stuff. You won't find Big Blue or Mute City in them anywhere, but you will in GP Legend.


    I certainly understand where you're coming from with your dislike for Fusion. It's a bit of a departure from what everyone was expecting the next Metroid after Super, but I kind of like it for that. If I wanted to play Super Metroid, well, I'd just go ahead and do that. As far as I'm concerned, they can't really outdo Super Metroid.
    It makes no sense, but I like to think the 'Fusion' is of Metroid and say, Mario, where the game is split up more into 'levels' than an entire open world. It's true that this goes against Metroid's idea, as it's about exploration and all, but there isn't much wrong with trying something new.

    Mustachio Jones on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fusion wasn't perfect, but it was solid and rarely had moments where I was confused where to go or what to do, unlike in 1, 2 and Super.

    Zero Mission's definitely the best of the lot, though. I would kill a man for a game where you got that raw sense of POWER at the end for longer. Also, screw the very end. I have never beaten that game because of not being able to get past that after I killify the boss.

    yalborap on
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Brym wrote: »
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (best in series, you can skip the others)
    Only correct when looking at GBA castlevanias, do note.
    All the DS ones are better.

    Naturally, just of the GBA ones. Because nothing can live up to Symphony of the Night.

    Brym on
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    Minish Cap is the only Zelda game that I own that I have never been able to play through more than once.

    I had to force myself to finish it the first time around.

    Amen to that. I found it really tedious for some reason.

    If you need Zelda on your GBA, there's always LttP. Maybe you'll get lucky and find someone to play Four Swords with.

    Brym on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User
    edited May 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Fusion wasn't perfect, but it was solid and rarely had moments where I was confused where to go or what to do, unlike in 1, 2 and Super.

    Zero Mission's definitely the best of the lot, though. I would kill a man for a game where you got that raw sense of POWER at the end for longer. Also, screw the very end. I have never beaten that game because of not being able to get past that after I killify the boss.

    Agreed with this so hard. Having to run and sneak around enemies the whole time, then getting a superpowered suit that allows you to run around blowing the fuck out of everything with the classic music blaring? <3

    l337CrappyJack on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, the end of Zero Mission is awesome. You go from decently powerful to basically helpless to being an invincible avatar of DEATH ITSELF.

    The final boss is good too.
    Fun fact: The final boss gets a huge boost in power if you have 100% of the collectibles. IIRC on hard mode he goes from taking ~10 super missiles to kill to taking ~30 and doing about twice as much damage (and IIRC again, on hard mode you only have 25 max). This has the funny effect of making the boss on a low-percent run about the same level of difficulty as the boss on a 100% run.

    Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brym wrote: »
    Advance Wars 2 (best in series, you can skip the first)
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (best in series, you can skip the others)
    Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Warioware: Mega Micro Game$ (skip twisted)
    Metroid Fusion (better than Zero Mission)

    Each of the above games is required. There are also many other great games on the platform, but these are the ones you're really missing out by not having played.

    Kinda late, but I have to disagree on several points.

    I prefer Advance Wars to the sequel because they added Neo Tanks which pretty much ruined the rock/paper/scissors play of the original.

    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon was awesome, and should not be skipped. If anything, I would skip the Soma Cruz era of Castlevanias.

    Metroid Zero Mission was amazing, Fusion was ok, but very linear. Had some cool moments, but I would never play it again.

    Also, if it wasnt mentioned, Mario Kart Super Circuit was really good. I've just picked up Sword of Mana for $7 and aside from being very wordy, it's pretty sweet. Also grabbed Megaman Zero 2, which plays like Megaman X but is a lot fucking harder. Still good though!

    Dr. Mario/Puzzle Challenge
    is good, Puzzle Challenge is Pokemon Puzzle League without the pokemon.

    The Fire Emblem games are good, but Sacred Stones is really, really easy. I got mine in a 2-pack with the arcade version of Gauntlet for $20 a while ago. Gauntlet was kinda lame by myself.

    Super Ghouls and Ghosts runs with less slowdown on the micro than other gba's, and is a really good version of it despite being goddamn impossible to beat.

    Jishian on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would skip Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance before Aria of Sorrow. Really though you can't go wrong with any of them.

    My recommendations.

    Any of the Castlevania games. Aria of Sorrow if you only want one.
    Metroid Zero Mission over Fusion.
    Astro Boy.
    Ninja Five-O.
    Golden Sun 1 and 2.
    Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap.
    Final Fantasy 6.
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga .
    Super Mario Bros. 3.
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

    Macro9 on
    bO0v7.png
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cullen wrote: »
    Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis holds a special place in my heart.

    This needs to be further up. Like, not in the second post, or even the OP. OP: Write it on a post-it and attach it to the top of your monitor. Now. The rest of you may do the same.

    (It's a very good game, and better than the FF tactics/advanced games.)

    Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by LG.

    'Get your fucking finger on the wookie'
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's sad that Knight of Lodis is the only Tactics Ogre game on the GBA. It probably wouldn't have been too difficult to port Let us Cling Together, and I wish they had.

    korodullin on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Stars burn so bright; much better than neon lights.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Golden Sun. After going through the first one and getting all the little pokemon thingies, I didn't have the will to finish the second game.

    Still, fun times.

    MegaMek on
    Playing Fallout 4 on PC? Have I got the mods for you!
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brym wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Brym wrote: »
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (best in series, you can skip the others)
    Only correct when looking at GBA castlevanias, do note.
    All the DS ones are better.

    Naturally, just of the GBA ones. Because nothing can live up to Order of Ecclesia.
    Severely fixed.

    Xagarath on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Brym wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Brym wrote: »
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (best in series, you can skip the others)
    Only correct when looking at GBA castlevanias, do note.
    All the DS ones are better.

    Naturally, just of the GBA ones. Because nothing can live up to Order of Ecclesia.
    Severely fixed.

    I'll admit that Portrait of Ruin held a major guilty pleasure for me.

    yalborap on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Stars burn so bright; much better than neon lights.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wasn't there a remake of Kirby's Adventure for the GBA? Yeah, Nightmare in Dreamland or something? I would get that; it's pretty good, if relatively easy.

    Then again, that's a nostalgia thing for me.

    MegaMek on
    Playing Fallout 4 on PC? Have I got the mods for you!
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Wasn't there a remake of Kirby's Adventure for the GBA? Yeah, Nightmare in Dreamland or something? I would get that; it's pretty good, if relatively easy.

    Then again, that's a nostalgia thing for me.

    Yep, it's a solid game. Also includes a fun Meta Knight mode.

    yalborap on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Brym wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Brym wrote: »
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (best in series, you can skip the others)
    Only correct when looking at GBA castlevanias, do note.
    All the DS ones are better.

    Naturally, just of the GBA ones. Because nothing can live up to Order of Ecclesia.
    Severely fixed.

    I'll admit that Portrait of Ruin held a major guilty pleasure for me.

    Nothing guilty about it. It's easily the second best of the metroidvanias, especially on boss fights.

    Xagarath on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brym wrote: »
    (skip twisted)

    What do you mean "skip Twisted"? Twisted was way better than the original and Smooth Moves combined.

    I can understand you liking Fusion better than Zero Mission (even though I disagree) but WW:T was awesome.

    RockinX on
    NNID: RockinX. 3DS FC: 2148-9166-6811. In-game name: アルヘニス. SV: 2746
    game%20grammar%20sig_zpsws4nvxb2.jpg
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.