As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Inexplicable Baldur's Gate 2 lag?

CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
The mouse lags horribly, even in menus, does anyone know why on earth it would do that? I am running the 4 DVD BG Collection on Vista with latest patch, and while my laptop has the crappy 945G Intel Integrated card, it has 2 gigs of ram and a dual core processor, so it's not a min specs issue. I tried running it in compatibility mode and that didn't work either. It also did this with the demo of BG2, but I assumed it would be fixed once I could patch it and/or run it in compatibility mode, and the weird thing is that BG1 works fine, which I don't understand at all.

Thanks for your help.

Coinage on

• Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Try setting the affinity to only use one processor in the Task Manager. (Right click, select Affinity, deselect on of the processors.)

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In one particular version of lag, your entire game stutters where you move normally for 2 seconds, pause, move normally for 2 seconds, pause, and repeat (even when in the menus).

There's a file called Baldur.BCS that governs a hojillion different "heartbeat" calls (things that are checked every couple of seconds) in Baldur's Gate 2. It's overcrowded with a lot of "random" timed events (IF (blah blah blah) THEN (blah blah blah) END) that should happen at particular points. If you have any user-created mods at all, this file becomes even MORE crowded than usual and the lag gets worse, but on some systems it's pretty bad already.

If you put a "clean" Baldur.BCS file into your override directory, you'll cure the lag, but you'll miss out on a lot of triggered events. In particular, the random romance conversations are triggered by this file. Many cutscenes (gaining the power of the Slayer, the death of Gromnir, some of the Thief stronghold missions, etc.) are also triggered by this file.

Hopefully, this is not the situation with your installation, but if it is, then you'll just have to find someone who can manufacture a "cleaner" Baldur.BCS and Baldur25.BCS file to put in your override directory.

EDIT: I uploaded my Baldur.BCS/Baldur25.BCS files here:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZD3H7BCX

If it is Baldur.BCS causing the problems, then those files should fix it or improve the lag, at the cost of removing some parts of the romances (some of the areas have romance triggers, so it doesn't remove all of them) and some other events. It's not a completely clean file, and I only kept the events essential to progressing the game. Again, I really hope that it isn't the Baldur.BCS file. Backup your override directory before copying those files over, and make sure to run the zip file through a virus checker (I don't trust my computer or Megaupload).

Also, try turning off/on 3D acceleration. Sometimes that can help.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I appreciate the effort on making the BCS file, but turning off 3D acceleration fixed it. Thanks, I didn't even think of that because the menus were broken too. Since this is an isometric game does it even really matter? Why does it even want OpenGL, can't DirectX render 3D spell animations?

And so you know your work was not wasted, Windows somehow lost Baldur25.bcs while I was cut pasting it so now I have to sit through another reinstall. ;-)

Also that processor allocation thing is cool, I didn't know you could do that.

Coinage on
  • Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Coinage wrote: »
    Also that processor allocation thing is cool, I didn't know you could do that.

It can be pretty important on older stuff that was made before Dual Core's were pie in the sky dreams.

Cyd Cyclone on