Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Forum culture

ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Why do some people choose to stay exclusive only to one subforum rather than wander around across all forums? I've observed that some people have problems and probably start to hyperventilate if they have to post in another forum, as if they are stepping into a bad neighborhood or Compton or some shit like that. It's just another subforum. Actually, some people don't even call them subforums they just refer to them as a bunch of seperate forums even!

And I've definitely even seen some signs of prejudice. For instance, I've been to many Game Ons at G&T, and when somebody starts doing a lot of crazy shit like killing a bunch of guys or fuckin shit up I generally hear comments like "probably faggots from SE++" or "assholes from SE++"


WHY DO

YOU HATE



p.s. is this breaking the fourth wall

Obs on
spacer.png
spacer.png
Obs.gif
«13456710

Posts

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tried to keep up with SE++ when I just joined here, and I really didn't understand the funny half the time and I was kind of engrossed by the overdose of "cocks dicks ololo". It's not so much that I don't like the culture in other subforums, as it is that I just don't appreciate the culture they've got going on there.

    And it's fun to make fun of SE++.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • redxredx East Bumblefuck, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ehhh... the fourth wall is really more in media or maybe role playing.

    Folks here talk about real world events, like their personal lives, so there isn't really a fourth wall to begin with.


    I used to post in se++, but then became a mod over here and promptly stopped. I don't know... I don't really like talking about myself too much and the lack of structure makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I could kinda go back and post there, but... ehh... I don't know I just don't really enjoy it too much particularly when I am sober. That's, like, se++ and to a lesser extent flying stove.

    I post in H/A cause I can show off how big my e-wang is.

    G+T and other similar forums tend to be a lot about crusading or just cockwaving. I don't really feel that strongly about those kind of issues anymore, aside from my hate of mac's Finder.

    All I've got is a snuggle hammer.
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Different interest sets, mainly. The one thing everyone has in common is that they read PA. Past that, there's a subset that has games as their primary hobby (G&T), some people into tabletopping (Of Dice And Men), others that like to draw (Artist's Corner) or write (Writer's Block), some who prefer to talk current events (D&D), and some who just need a place to shoot the shit (SE++).

    Different interests, different cultures.

    I have a blog. Read it. Blog-reading makes you pretty and popular.
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't go to SE++ too much because it's so far down the page.

    But when I do go there I don't see why everyone says it's all "cocks dicks OLOL", it seems like jsut a bunch of chat threads really.

    Like here's an example of an SE++ thread
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15791

    Nothing really crazy going on there...

    spacer.png
    spacer.png
    Obs.gif
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Different interest sets, mainly. The one thing everyone has in common is that they read PA.

    This is another thing I've wondered about.

    I don't actually read PA, I don't even have the front page of PA bookmarked. I see PA as a forum, not a website with a forum as a feature.

    spacer.png
    spacer.png
    Obs.gif
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    I don't go to SE++ too much because it's so far down the page.

    But when I do go there I don't see why everyone says it's all "cocks dicks OLOL", it seems like jsut a bunch of chat threads really.

    Like here's an example of an SE++ thread
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15791

    Nothing really crazy going on there...
    Maybe I just hit a vein of cocks and dicks when I dropped by, then.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • HacksawHacksaw J Duggan Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is the only place I have any name recognition. Well, here, and with a few folks over in SE++. But SE isn't really my place; too chaotic. This place has the perfect balance of chaos and order for my tastes. Plus, most of the regulars here aren't shit-streaking retards. That's more of a bonus, though.

  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2007
    I am known both here and SE++
    Maybe GnT still speaks in hushed silence when they speak of mine and Moriarty's glorious permabanning.

  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Because I prefer the threads in D&D. I find se++ too unstructured and most of the stuff they talk about just doesn't get my attention as I find it to be banal. I'm also not a fan of the injokes.

    I sometimes post in G&T, but I rarely buy many games any more or keep up with the gaming news so their is little there to talk about for me.

  • redxredx East Bumblefuck, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Plus, most of the regulars here aren't shit-streaking retards. That's more of a bonus, though.
    There are very few regs here who I don't have a fair amount of respect for.

    All I've got is a snuggle hammer.
  • BernardBernoulliBernardBernoulli Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I generally keep an eye on SE and EE, and sometimes G&T just for reading. I don't post in SE as much as here because everyone hates me and I'm less likely to get flamed in here. So, it's the structure - less trolling here, so I'm less of a victim

    EE's more interesting, but SE is by far more entertaining... I just thought everyone kept an eye on SE because it was the non-specific area for communal gatherings, then looked at one or two other areas based on interests (like I rarely look in AC because I don't have an interest in art, or WoW because I don't play it)

  • Irond WillIrond Will Dragonmaster Cambridge. MASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Why do people tend to hang around the same groups of people in real life? It's because it takes time and effort to make friends, because you find more common interests with some groups than others, and because the cultural trappings (group rules, inside jokes, etc) can be difficult to learn and navigate.

    Personally, I like D&D because I find OCD much more interesting than ADD.

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    the hell is EE?
    "Everything Else" the old name of D&D.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Irond WillIrond Will Dragonmaster Cambridge. MASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    the hell is EE?
    "Everything Else". It's the old name for D&D.

    edit: curse your Norwegian speed.

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • BernardBernoulliBernardBernoulli Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    the hell is EE?

    Uh... Everything Else. Same as D&D, except it isn't also the name of an RPG

    edit: damn, it's like Irond and Aldo have the same brain

  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Personally, I like D&D because I find OCD much more interesting than ADD.

    That is SOOO sigged :D

    Personally, I like D&D because I find OCD much more interesting than ADD.
  • MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Different interest sets, mainly. The one thing everyone has in common is that they read PA.

    This is another thing I've wondered about.

    I don't actually read PA, I don't even have the front page of PA bookmarked. I see PA as a forum, not a website with a forum as a feature.

    I have the main PA page as my start page. Mainly because I love these forums, and I hate getting lost in the archives when I miss a comic, because I ALWAYS forget to check blogs.

  • HacksawHacksaw J Duggan Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mitsuhide wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Different interest sets, mainly. The one thing everyone has in common is that they read PA.

    This is another thing I've wondered about.

    I don't actually read PA, I don't even have the front page of PA bookmarked. I see PA as a forum, not a website with a forum as a feature.

    I have the main PA page as my start page. Mainly because I love these forums, and I hate getting lost in the archives when I miss a comic, because I ALWAYS forget to check blogs.
    D&D is my home page. I <3 this place that much.

  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I´m totally with Hacks on this. D&D has the perfect balance on these revered forums of here.

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    the hell is EE?

    Uh... Everything Else. Same as D&D, except it isn't also the name of an RPG

    edit: damn, it's like Irond and Aldo have the same brain

    Resistance is futile.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only forum I actively stay away from is SE, and thats because I generally don't find the kind of humor that runs rampant there humorous..its just not my thing :|
    I used to be primarily G&T but branched out when they killed the G&T chat thread <img class=" title=":cry:" class="bbcode_smiley" />

    WII U NNID- talios
    steam-taliosfalcon
    XBL-AdeptPenguin
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2007
  • SamiSami Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    *sigh*
    I wish I would have screencapped my ban message.

    what did you do?

    Preacher wrote:
    That's the kicker, not only is our healthcare not cutting mustard we are overpaying for shitty healthcare. We have the olive garden of healthcare.
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    *sigh*
    I wish I would have screencapped my ban message.
    What'd it say?


    I lurked for a long time before I joined up, and when I first started I literally couldn't understand most of what was going on in SE. Threads looked to me like a bunch of lunatics talking to themselves in nonsensical monologues and ignoring what everyone else was saying. But as I lurked, and I don't know whether it was me or the forum or both, it started to make sense, and I found myself enjoying it. Once I joined, my main lair was SE, as I found most of the other forums tedious or uninteresting.

    At some point I took a break for reasons I don't really remember, and by the time I came back I'd started playing WoW and so I spent a decent chunk of time there. Soon I found myself expanding more towards H&A and D&D, until eventually this became my main forum. Now I don't really read SE much, though I still check threads out there every so often.

  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    This is the only place I have any name recognition. Well, here, and with a few folks over in SE++. But SE isn't really my place; too chaotic. This place has the perfect balance of chaos and order for my tastes. Plus, most of the regulars here aren't shit-streaking retards. That's more of a bonus, though.

    yeah.

    I go to G&T all the time for game news and to see if maybe there will be another gem I've never experienced unearthed... but this is way more the place for me.

    I hate in SE that if I see an interesting topic title, and I click on page 3 to see where the discussion is at (as I would here or G&T... or the few tims that I go into H/A) it's already collapsed into a bunch of friends talking. But when I talk to my friends we actually have topics, instead of just blah blah blahing with each other. I like toipical sensible discussion.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    I like both D&D and SE. They're the same thing, really (chat forums), but one has structure. Getting "recognition" doesn't seem like a huge barrier, to me. You post, and you get it. SE's "cocks dicks lol" reputation seems to be overblown, as well. The last time I went there I had a fairly intelligent conversation about police brutality, and nobody got their panties in a bunch because of it.

    Irond Will wrote: »
    Personally, I like D&D because I find OCD much more interesting than ADD.
    Hehe.

  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    What I hate about DnD is people calling you a retard because you don't agree with them.

    spacer.png
    spacer.png
    Obs.gif
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    People in D&D are also very predictable for some reason.

    spacer.png
    spacer.png
    Obs.gif
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User
    edited March 2007
    It's really not that bad, Obs.

    I think D&D strikes a good balance between tolerating different point of views while also being able to say "no, that shit is retarded" - examples: our friend from Labrador, and the odd racist.

    On the other forums:

    G&T I'll occasionally poke my head in. From time to time you'll discover something new - like a game or program that you hadn't heard about. They can be good for disseminating information like that.

    H&A - I've given advice and received good advice there.

    SE++ moves way too fast for me, and the regular forumers are pretty entrenched there. Still, can be entertaining to lurk.

  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    What I hate about DnD is people calling you a retard because you don't agree with them.

    I have not found this to be a problem at all.

  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    What I hate about DnD is people calling you a retard because you don't agree with them.
    If you're talking about the treatment you're getting, I hope you don't delude yourself into thinking it the same thing isnt happen to you in SE.

  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    What I hate about DnD is people calling you a retard because you don't agree with them.
    If you're talking about the treatment you're getting, I hope you don't delude yourself into thinking it the same thing isnt happen to you in SE.

    It's never happened to me in SE. Plus, I think in general this place has more capability for piss and vitriol than SE. It's harder to defend yourself from someone who's personally attacking you in DD because often they will be pushing the popular opinion and gain many followers.

    edit: corrected a fatal typo

    spacer.png
    spacer.png
    Obs.gif
  • redxredx East Bumblefuck, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SC wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    What I hate about DnD is people calling you a retard because you don't agree with them.

    I have not found this to be a problem at all.

    No, I would not expect you to.

    All I've got is a snuggle hammer.
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    What I hate about DnD is people calling you a retard because you don't agree with them.
    If you're talking about the treatment you're getting, I hope you don't delude yourself into thinking it the same thing isnt happen to you in SE.

    It's never happened to me in SE. Plus, I think in general this place has more capability for piss and vitriol than SE. It's harder to defend yourself from someone who's personally attacking you in DD because often they will be pushing the popular opinion and gain many followers.

    edit: corrected a fatal typo

    Maybe the reason it never happened to you in SE++ is that they don't EXPECT people to stay on topic in a thread.

    See the section headings -- D&D is an "on-topic" forum and SE++ is a "chat" forum. There, you hang out and shoot the breeze. Here (outside of the chat thread) you are expected to seriously discuss the topic at hand and not just throw out one-liners.

    Personally, I like D&D because I find OCD much more interesting than ADD.
  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    SE is great, but idiocy is harder to notice there, because of lack of topicality. If your comments don't fit, it's usually assumed to be off-topic. When it is noticed, though, it is not usually left unpunished.

  • redxredx East Bumblefuck, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    SE is great, but idiocy is harder to notice there, because of lack of topicality. If your comments don't fit, it's usually assumed to be off-topic. When it is noticed, though, it is not usually left unpunished.


    how many pages in are you talking about? I'm only looking at every other page, but so far the only thing I've seen is a potential christian nutbar, and that was kinda on topic, and the response was not too awful.

    All I've got is a snuggle hammer.
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    D&D does not appreciate non sequiturs.

    spacer.png
    spacer.png
    Obs.gif
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    redx wrote: »
    Elkamil wrote: »
    SE is great, but idiocy is harder to notice there, because of lack of topicality. If your comments don't fit, it's usually assumed to be off-topic. When it is noticed, though, it is not usually left unpunished.


    how many pages in are you talking about? I'm only looking at every other page, but so far the only thing I've seen is a potential christian nutbar, and that was kinda on topic, and the response was not too awful.

    I'm not sure what he was talking about with that example either.

    spacer.png
    spacer.png
    Obs.gif
  • redxredx East Bumblefuck, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    D&D does not appreciate non sequiturs.

    we do if they are on topic.




    Elkie are you talking about Thaox?

    All I've got is a snuggle hammer.
«13456710
Sign In or Register to comment.