As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forum culture

ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Why do some people choose to stay exclusive only to one subforum rather than wander around across all forums? I've observed that some people have problems and probably start to hyperventilate if they have to post in another forum, as if they are stepping into a bad neighborhood or Compton or some shit like that. It's just another subforum. Actually, some people don't even call them subforums they just refer to them as a bunch of seperate forums even!

And I've definitely even seen some signs of prejudice. For instance, I've been to many Game Ons at G&T, and when somebody starts doing a lot of crazy shit like killing a bunch of guys or fuckin shit up I generally hear comments like "probably faggots from SE++" or "assholes from SE++"

WHY DO

YOU HATE

p.s. is this breaking the fourth wall

Obs on

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tried to keep up with SE++ when I just joined here, and I really didn't understand the funny half the time and I was kind of engrossed by the overdose of "cocks dicks ololo". It's not so much that I don't like the culture in other subforums, as it is that I just don't appreciate the culture they've got going on there.

And it's fun to make fun of SE++.

Aldo on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ehhh... the fourth wall is really more in media or maybe role playing.

Folks here talk about real world events, like their personal lives, so there isn't really a fourth wall to begin with.

I used to post in se++, but then became a mod over here and promptly stopped. I don't know... I don't really like talking about myself too much and the lack of structure makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I could kinda go back and post there, but... ehh... I don't know I just don't really enjoy it too much particularly when I am sober. That's, like, se++ and to a lesser extent flying stove.

I post in H/A cause I can show off how big my e-wang is.

G+T and other similar forums tend to be a lot about crusading or just cockwaving. I don't really feel that strongly about those kind of issues anymore, aside from my hate of mac's Finder.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Different interest sets, mainly. The one thing everyone has in common is that they read PA. Past that, there's a subset that has games as their primary hobby (G&T), some people into tabletopping (Of Dice And Men), others that like to draw (Artist's Corner) or write (Writer's Block), some who prefer to talk current events (D&D), and some who just need a place to shoot the shit (SE++).

Different interests, different cultures.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't go to SE++ too much because it's so far down the page.

But when I do go there I don't see why everyone says it's all "cocks dicks OLOL", it seems like jsut a bunch of chat threads really.

Like here's an example of an SE++ thread
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15791

Nothing really crazy going on there...

Obs on
    edited March 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Different interest sets, mainly. The one thing everyone has in common is that they read PA.

This is another thing I've wondered about.

I don't actually read PA, I don't even have the front page of PA bookmarked. I see PA as a forum, not a website with a forum as a feature.

Obs on
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    I don't go to SE++ too much because it's so far down the page.

But when I do go there I don't see why everyone says it's all "cocks dicks OLOL", it seems like jsut a bunch of chat threads really.

Like here's an example of an SE++ thread
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15791

Nothing really crazy going on there...
    Maybe I just hit a vein of cocks and dicks when I dropped by, then.

Aldo on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is the only place I have any name recognition. Well, here, and with a few folks over in SE++. But SE isn't really my place; too chaotic. This place has the perfect balance of chaos and order for my tastes. Plus, most of the regulars here aren't shit-streaking retards. That's more of a bonus, though.

Hacksaw on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I am known both here and SE++
    Maybe GnT still speaks in hushed silence when they speak of mine and Moriarty's glorious permabanning.

Kusuguttai on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Because I prefer the threads in D&D. I find se++ too unstructured and most of the stuff they talk about just doesn't get my attention as I find it to be banal. I'm also not a fan of the injokes.

I sometimes post in G&T, but I rarely buy many games any more or keep up with the gaming news so their is little there to talk about for me.

Leitner on
    edited March 2007
    hacksaw wrote:
    Plus, most of the regulars here aren't shit-streaking retards. That's more of a bonus, though.
    There are very few regs here who I don't have a fair amount of respect for.

redx on
  • BernardBernoulliBernardBernoulli Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I generally keep an eye on SE and EE, and sometimes G&T just for reading. I don't post in SE as much as here because everyone hates me and I'm less likely to get flamed in here. So, it's the structure - less trolling here, so I'm less of a victim

EE's more interesting, but SE is by far more entertaining... I just thought everyone kept an eye on SE because it was the non-specific area for communal gatherings, then looked at one or two other areas based on interests (like I rarely look in AC because I don't have an interest in art, or WoW because I don't play it)

BernardBernoulli on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Why do people tend to hang around the same groups of people in real life? It's because it takes time and effort to make friends, because you find more common interests with some groups than others, and because the cultural trappings (group rules, inside jokes, etc) can be difficult to learn and navigate.

Personally, I like D&D because I find OCD much more interesting than ADD.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited March 2007
    the hell is EE?

Obs on
    edited March 2007
    the hell is EE?
    "Everything Else" the old name of D&D.

Aldo on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    the hell is EE?
    "Everything Else". It's the old name for D&D.

edit: curse your Norwegian speed.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • BernardBernoulliBernardBernoulli Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the hell is EE?

Uh... Everything Else. Same as D&D, except it isn't also the name of an RPG

edit: damn, it's like Irond and Aldo have the same brain

BernardBernoulli on
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

That is SOOO sigged :D

Nerissa on
  • MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Different interest sets, mainly. The one thing everyone has in common is that they read PA.

I don't actually read PA, I don't even have the front page of PA bookmarked. I see PA as a forum, not a website with a forum as a feature.

I have the main PA page as my start page. Mainly because I love these forums, and I hate getting lost in the archives when I miss a comic, because I ALWAYS forget to check blogs.

Mitsuhide on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mitsuhide wrote: »

I have the main PA page as my start page. Mainly because I love these forums, and I hate getting lost in the archives when I miss a comic, because I ALWAYS forget to check blogs.
    D&D is my home page. I <3 this place that much.

Hacksaw on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I´m totally with Hacks on this. D&D has the perfect balance on these revered forums of here.

Haphazard on
    edited March 2007
    the hell is EE?

Uh... Everything Else. Same as D&D, except it isn't also the name of an RPG

edit: damn, it's like Irond and Aldo have the same brain

Resistance is futile.

Aldo on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only forum I actively stay away from is SE, and thats because I generally don't find the kind of humor that runs rampant there humorous..its just not my thing :|
    I used to be primarily G&T but branched out when they killed the G&T chat thread :cry:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    *sigh*
    I wish I would have screencapped my ban message.

Kusuguttai on
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    *sigh*

what did you do?

Sami on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    *sigh*
    What'd it say?

I lurked for a long time before I joined up, and when I first started I literally couldn't understand most of what was going on in SE. Threads looked to me like a bunch of lunatics talking to themselves in nonsensical monologues and ignoring what everyone else was saying. But as I lurked, and I don't know whether it was me or the forum or both, it started to make sense, and I found myself enjoying it. Once I joined, my main lair was SE, as I found most of the other forums tedious or uninteresting.

At some point I took a break for reasons I don't really remember, and by the time I came back I'd started playing WoW and so I spent a decent chunk of time there. Soon I found myself expanding more towards H&A and D&D, until eventually this became my main forum. Now I don't really read SE much, though I still check threads out there every so often.

Smasher on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    This is the only place I have any name recognition. Well, here, and with a few folks over in SE++. But SE isn't really my place; too chaotic. This place has the perfect balance of chaos and order for my tastes. Plus, most of the regulars here aren't shit-streaking retards. That's more of a bonus, though.

yeah.

I go to G&T all the time for game news and to see if maybe there will be another gem I've never experienced unearthed... but this is way more the place for me.

I hate in SE that if I see an interesting topic title, and I click on page 3 to see where the discussion is at (as I would here or G&T... or the few tims that I go into H/A) it's already collapsed into a bunch of friends talking. But when I talk to my friends we actually have topics, instead of just blah blah blahing with each other. I like toipical sensible discussion.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    I like both D&D and SE. They're the same thing, really (chat forums), but one has structure. Getting "recognition" doesn't seem like a huge barrier, to me. You post, and you get it. SE's "cocks dicks lol" reputation seems to be overblown, as well. The last time I went there I had a fairly intelligent conversation about police brutality, and nobody got their panties in a bunch because of it.

Irond Will wrote: »
    Hehe.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited March 2007
    What I hate about DnD is people calling you a retard because you don't agree with them.

Obs on
    edited March 2007
    People in D&D are also very predictable for some reason.

Obs on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's really not that bad, Obs.

I think D&D strikes a good balance between tolerating different point of views while also being able to say "no, that shit is retarded" - examples: our friend from Labrador, and the odd racist.

On the other forums:

G&T I'll occasionally poke my head in. From time to time you'll discover something new - like a game or program that you hadn't heard about. They can be good for disseminating information like that.

H&A - I've given advice and received good advice there.

SE++ moves way too fast for me, and the regular forumers are pretty entrenched there. Still, can be entertaining to lurk.

Andrew_Jay on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What I hate about DnD is people calling you a retard because you don't agree with them.

I have not found this to be a problem at all.

Leitner on
    edited March 2007
    If you're talking about the treatment you're getting, I hope you don't delude yourself into thinking it the same thing isnt happen to you in SE.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    If you're talking about the treatment you're getting, I hope you don't delude yourself into thinking it the same thing isnt happen to you in SE.

It's never happened to me in SE. Plus, I think in general this place has more capability for piss and vitriol than SE. It's harder to defend yourself from someone who's personally attacking you in DD because often they will be pushing the popular opinion and gain many followers.

edit: corrected a fatal typo

Obs on
    edited March 2007
    SC wrote: »

I have not found this to be a problem at all.

No, I would not expect you to.

redx on
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

It's never happened to me in SE. Plus, I think in general this place has more capability for piss and vitriol than SE. It's harder to defend yourself from someone who's personally attacking you in DD because often they will be pushing the popular opinion and gain many followers.

edit: corrected a fatal typo

Maybe the reason it never happened to you in SE++ is that they don't EXPECT people to stay on topic in a thread.

See the section headings -- D&D is an "on-topic" forum and SE++ is a "chat" forum. There, you hang out and shoot the breeze. Here (outside of the chat thread) you are expected to seriously discuss the topic at hand and not just throw out one-liners.

Nerissa on
    edited March 2007
    SE is great, but idiocy is harder to notice there, because of lack of topicality. If your comments don't fit, it's usually assumed to be off-topic. When it is noticed, though, it is not usually left unpunished.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited March 2007
    SE is great, but idiocy is harder to notice there, because of lack of topicality. If your comments don't fit, it's usually assumed to be off-topic. When it is noticed, though, it is not usually left unpunished.

how many pages in are you talking about? I'm only looking at every other page, but so far the only thing I've seen is a potential christian nutbar, and that was kinda on topic, and the response was not too awful.

redx on
    edited March 2007
    D&D does not appreciate non sequiturs.

Obs on
    edited March 2007
    redx wrote: »

how many pages in are you talking about? I'm only looking at every other page, but so far the only thing I've seen is a potential christian nutbar, and that was kinda on topic, and the response was not too awful.

I'm not sure what he was talking about with that example either.

Obs on
    edited March 2007
    D&D does not appreciate non sequiturs.

we do if they are on topic.

Elkie are you talking about Thaox?

redx on