Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

How to gather petition signatures?

CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I know a lot of people around the forums spent a lot of time volunteering on the Obama campaign. I know I spent faaarrr too much time. Some friends and I got a ballot initiative approved for colorado that helps un-fuck some of our budgetary woes. Now all we need are a TON of signatures by the beginning of August.

So I was wondering if any of you have done this or have any ideas on how to get lots of signatures. I know we all ignore the guy on the street that just yells at you. I was hoping to come up with some more creative ideas.
Spoiler:

CommunistCow on
No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.

Posts

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    According to Family Guy, you should watch Sex and the City with gay dudes.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    College campus's are your friend.

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You did not just pluralize a perfectly ordinary word with an apostrophe.

  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The guys on the street corner are there because that is, unfortunately, one of the more effective ways to get signatures. That, and going door to door.

    gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    remember pluto? Once a planet but now a pseudo
    funny how information changes the facts that you know
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Enlist CO political blogs to publicize your proposal and gain volunteers. Write to papers. Gain the support of state legislators.

    Does any business or professional group stand to especially benefit? Talk to the people that run it and have them gather signatures internally.

    Basically you need to sit down and make a list of everyone who might benefit or be interested and enlist their aid.

    Being walkers with the dawn and morning,
    Walkers with the sun and morning, we are not afraid of night,
    Nor days of gloom, nor darkness -
    Being walkers with the sun and morning.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You did not just pluralize a perfectly ordinary word with an apostrophe.

    Yes I did.

  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    You did not just pluralize a perfectly ordinary word with an apostrophe.

    Yes I did.

    But wouldn't it be campi?

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    You did not just pluralize a perfectly ordinary word with an apostrophe.

    Yes I did.

    But wouldn't it be campi?

    But that isn't what I typed. I typed "campus's"

  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there an advocacy group that this fits well with? You need really need feet on the ground.

    Which groups depends on what you are going after in Colorado, since there are so many. TABOR, Amendent 23, Arveschoug-Bird, the school property tax freeze?

    You need to clear ~76000 valid signatures. Most ballots pull in 110-120k since you get a failure rate of up to 30%, and remember there are logistical challenges in collecting and keeping track of that many petitions. Most of the time people focus on around the number of outings and/or the number of signatures per volunteer. Build around that. 50 signatures per outing means 2400 outings, netting 120000 signatures. Some outings are fast (meetings that occur where you would predict a favorable response), versus outside a Rockies game.

    Remember that if Doug Bruce can get any stupid petition on the ballot, you can as well.

    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kipling wrote: »
    Is there an advocacy group that this fits well with? You need really need feet on the ground.

    Which groups depends on what you are going after in Colorado, since there are so many. TABOR, Amendent 23, Arveschoug-Bird, the school property tax freeze?

    You need to clear ~76000 valid signatures. Most ballots pull in 110-120k since you get a failure rate of up to 30%, and remember there are logistical challenges in collecting and keeping track of that many petitions. Most of the time people focus on around the number of outings and/or the number of signatures per volunteer. Build around that. 50 signatures per outing means 2400 outings, netting 120000 signatures. Some outings are fast (meetings that occur where you would predict a favorable response), versus outside a Rockies game.

    Remember that if Doug Bruce can get any stupid petition on the ballot, you can as well.

    This is basically going to override Arveschoug-Bird (which is being replaced by SB-228 right now but the compromise on this bill is not what we really want), and possibly parts of TABOR depending on legal interpretation. It is not affecting Amendment 23 because this is not affecting former constitutional obligations and it doesn't affect the property tax freeze because it only pertains to general funds. My friends running this are already covering the dem blogs and the like. They don't have anybody running the ground game in Boulder but that might end up being me since I have some vague connections to the Boulder Dems and some Obama vols in the area.

    As for college campuses I don't they'll be of much help in the middle of the summer :'(

    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kipling wrote: »
    Is there an advocacy group that this fits well with? You need really need feet on the ground.

    Which groups depends on what you are going after in Colorado, since there are so many. TABOR, Amendent 23, Arveschoug-Bird, the school property tax freeze?

    You need to clear ~76000 valid signatures. Most ballots pull in 110-120k since you get a failure rate of up to 30%, and remember there are logistical challenges in collecting and keeping track of that many petitions. Most of the time people focus on around the number of outings and/or the number of signatures per volunteer. Build around that. 50 signatures per outing means 2400 outings, netting 120000 signatures. Some outings are fast (meetings that occur where you would predict a favorable response), versus outside a Rockies game.

    Remember that if Doug Bruce can get any stupid petition on the ballot, you can as well.

    This is basically going to override Arveschoug-Bird (which is being replaced by SB-228 right now but the compromise on this bill is not what we really want), and possibly parts of TABOR depending on legal interpretation. It is not affecting Amendment 23 because this is not affecting former constitutional obligations and it doesn't affect the property tax freeze because it only pertains to general funds. My friends running this are already covering the dem blogs and the like. They don't have anybody running the ground game in Boulder but that might end up being me since I have some vague connections to the Boulder Dems and some Obama vols in the area.

    As for college campuses I don't they'll be of much help in the middle of the summer :'(

    Well then you'd better get your ass to them, like yesterday.

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    You did not just pluralize a perfectly ordinary word with an apostrophe.

    Yes I did.

    But wouldn't it be campi?

    But that isn't what I typed. I typed "campus's"

    And that's incorrect. It should be "campuses", since nobody says "campi" and in any case colleges aren't much like the Campus Martius.

  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ...but I typed campus's


    Something I'm saying isn't getting through to you.

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    See, I was using "You did not just" in the colloquial sense, meaning "You should not". Typing "campus's" is just plain wrong.

  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Well then you'd better get your ass to them, like yesterday.

    Well a conservative think tank might challenge the approval from yesterday which means we will be tied up in hearings for the next 3 weeks. We can't do anything until the hearings are over if this happens. If they don't challenge us then we can start collecting signatures this next weekend.

    Ok so I'm looking into advocacy groups like Progress Now, Progressive Future, New Era, Camp Wellstone,....hrm.

    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Well then you'd better get your ass to them, like yesterday.

    Well a conservative think tank might challenge the approval from yesterday which means we will be tied up in hearings for the next 3 weeks. We can't do anything until the hearings are over if this happens. If they don't challenge us then we can start collecting signatures this next weekend.

    Ok so I'm looking into advocacy groups like Progress Now, Progressive Future, New Era, Camp Wellstone,....hrm.

    There is still a fair number of people at the big colleges (Boulder, CSU) for summer, but slim pickings for the smaller colleges. From what I've heard, they are also prone to higher error rates. You do have county fairs and the like, but in comparison that probably takes a longer time per signature.

    Also: The amendment is admirable - even understanding the web of limitations set up by the various state amendments and laws takes time. You are going to want a simple concise explanation of the amendment for when people ask what they are signing.

    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kipling wrote: »
    There is still a fair number of people at the big colleges (Boulder, CSU) for summer, but slim pickings for the smaller colleges. From what I've heard, they are also prone to higher error rates. You do have county fairs and the like, but in comparison that probably takes a longer time per signature.

    Also: The amendment is admirable - even understanding the web of limitations set up by the various state amendments and laws takes time. You are going to want a simple concise explanation of the amendment for when people ask what they are signing.

    We are definitely working hard on messaging and trying to make some good short hooks.

    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
Sign In or Register to comment.