As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Give 'Em Head Harry (Reid) Strikes Again!

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Apparently he thinks that the suggestion is to have the prisoners voluntarily show up at their new digs.

Yeah, just put them on a boat from Cuba to Miami, and then drop them off with some directions to Pelican Bay printed from Mapquest and some bus fare.

God, what a fucking idiot. He's long since passed the point where I'd be happy to see him replaced with a Republican. I'd even give up a 60-seat majority to do it. I'd actually like to see him hit by a meteor, but that's not gonna happen.

EDIT: Also, Reid obviously needs to watch that Daily Show clip. The one where Jon meets the Republicans at camera three and shows them a clip of Lockdown.

mcdermott on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    their idiot constituents now convinced that we live in the world of 24

This.

Crimsondude on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hmmm. If people really think we live in the 24 world, then they're not nearly as terrified as they ought to be.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hmmm. If people really think we live in the 24 world, then they're not nearly as terrified as they ought to be.

More people would be moving to Connecticut like Glenn Beck, for one thing.

Hedgethorn on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Harry Reid needs to lose his re-election. I've tried to prod my grandfather to do something as his constituent, but he is reluctant to do anything more than vote against him.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm still not sure how much this can be blamed entirely on Harry Reid, especially when today we have the bill referenced in the OP (linky) which passed 90-6 in the Senate. Even if Harry Reid had wanted to follow the president he still has most of his party's Senators voting against.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm still not sure how much this can be blamed entirely on Harry Reid, especially when today we have the bill referenced in the OP (linky) which passed 90-6 in the Senate. Even if Harry Reid had wanted to follow the president he still has most of his party's Senators voting against.

He could have at least blocked the vote like he does habitually for Republicans.

Plus, you know, the incomprehensibly stupid quote as he totally adopts the Republican frame on this issue because he's a fucking spineless coward.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

The point is that Americans are fucking retarded.

Crimsondude on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    What the hell is up with them using O Fortuna? The song is about how what we do doesn't matter, and we have no choice but to face our fate. I mean, people that know such things aren't their target audience, but the song features odd subject material considering what they are trying to get across.

Some guy probably heard it in a sports add and thought it sounded cool.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited May 2009
    Senators with spines:

DURBIN (D-IL)
    HARKIN (D-IA)
    LEAHY (D-VT)
    LEVIN (D-MI)
    REED (D-RI)
    WHITEHOUSE (D-RI)

enlightenedbum on
    edited May 2009

The point is that Americans are fucking retarded.

Yeah. Then again, these same constituents that are bitching about Gitmo detainees being relocated are the ones that want tax breaks and an increase in government services while bringing down the the deficit.

At any rate, let's give credit where it's due; the Republicans played the Democrats quite well. Granted, it's not like it was hard or anything, because Democrats cave on security issues at the slightest pressure.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited May 2009
    Yet now we have two Senators on television -- including Chambliss -- insisting that we can't transfer Guantanamo detainees to the U.S. because we want to make sure they don't have habeas rights (Chambliss: "And we need to make sure that they don't have the rights given to those criminals that are on American soil, such as the right of habeas corpus"; Nelson: "even if you didn't run the risk of habeas corpus and some of the other rights that they might be able to assert on American soil, it's inappropriate").

I hate the Senate and most of the Senators. They have that right, assholes, it was a pretty prominent court case. (Third update in this Greenwald post)

enlightenedbum on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    At any rate, let's give credit where it's due; the Republicans played the Democrats quite well. Granted, it's not like it was hard or anything, because most Senate and some House Democrats cave on everything at the slightest pressure.

Fixed.

Captain Carrot on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I disagree with them removing the funding.

But on the upside, the Senate witholding funds for an Executive plan until the President actually presents a detailed plan? Good for them.

So, bittersweet.

Speaker on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Speaker wrote: »

But on the upside, the Senate witholding funds for an Executive plan until the President actually presents a detailed plan? Good for them.

So, bittersweet.

And only 7 or so years too late.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited May 2009
    Speaker wrote: »

So, bittersweet.

If that was how they were justifying it publicly I wouldn't have this thread. It's the buying into the right wing frame that drives me nuts.

enlightenedbum on
    edited May 2009
    Argus wrote: »
    I actually read an article on CNN saying:
    House Democrats told the president Monday he won't be getting money to close the military detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, until he has a "concrete program" for shutting it down and moving its prisoners.

Ok, fair enough, there needs to be a plan for where to put the prisoners since we're literally going to shut the prison down.
    ---

This shit with Harry Reid, though, where he's saying that we aren't going to release Gitmo prisoners into any US prisons ever?

Goddamn it.

Speaker on
    edited May 2009
    Seriously, the party needs new Congressional leadership though.

Speaker on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-Y3DdiKjQ

<3 my Senator sooo much. I can't wait until 2010 so I can respect 'em both again.

moniker on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He also apparently got the announcement about Ted Kennedy wrong. Turns out he's not in remission.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited May 2009
    You know, Durbin would make a good Majority Leader . . .

Speaker on
    edited May 2009
    He's also next in line. I increasingly hope Reid loses next year.

enlightenedbum on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I figure it'd probably be Schumer thanks to an Illinoisan being in the White House and Chuck's work for the DCSC or DCCC or whatever the senate election acronym is.

moniker on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm no fan of Lindsey Graham, but this may be the most sensible thing that was said on the Senate Floor last week.
    The idea that we cannot find a place to securely house 250-plus detainees within the United States is not rational. We have done this before.

Hedgethorn on
    edited May 2009
    The Chambliss vs. Durbin debate on the Senate floor regarding Chambliss' amendment to prevent any Gitmo detainees from being brought to the US was good fun. I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe I need to watch C-SPAN more often.

wwtMask on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Chambliss vs. Durbin debate on the Senate floor regarding Chambliss' amendment to prevent any Gitmo detainees from being brought to the US was good fun. I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe I need to watch C-SPAN more often.

I literally cannot see his name without pronouncing it "Shameless."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited May 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »

That more or less fits the bill.

wwtMask on
    edited May 2009
    Jon Stewart covered Feinstein so perfectly. What a hypocrite she is.

(Edit: I thought it was Stewart, but I can't find the video online.)

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is why anyone in the legislative branch has to have both balls and can hold firm in an argument. This is also sadly the department where roughly half of my favored party fails by being touchy, feely, whimpy, pussy democrats. That's probably why Obama did so well, because he has such democratic values with the charisma of a classic GOP runner. Frankly, it's statements like that that make me embarrassed to share social values with this party.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    I generally avoid argument from authority in regards to detainees, but as someone who has guarded and moved detainees, you can move the fuckers somewhere without releasing them and anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

Since, you know, they run really fast if you do release them and you get in trouble for letting them go.

If you move them, they will inevitably get loose. Reid knows, he's totally seen Con Air twice and he has The Fugitive on DVD.

BubbaT on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In other news. Reid folds on the issue yet again. That man is so fucking worthless. Though his new position is the one I happen to agree with, the fact that he switches so readily at the slightest hint in the change of political direction is disgusting to see in a "leader".

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
    edited May 2009
    He still sticks with the ridiculous "can't transfer them to the US" position. Someone should ask him what we should do with the four guys arrested in New York last night.

enlightenedbum on
    edited May 2009
    He still sticks with the ridiculous "can't transfer them to the US" position. Someone should ask him what we should do with the four guys arrested in New York last night.

Why does he try to play hardball with Obama, when he simply buckles to Republicans?

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited May 2009

Why does he try to play hardball with Obama, when he simply buckles to Republicans?

Because it's what the DLC told him to do?

enlightenedbum on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey, Tim Kaine, tell Reid to back Democrats and buck Republicans, instead of the other way around.

Captain Carrot on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ha ha ha, Tim Kaine's a blue dog.

Nartwak on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey, Tim Kaine, tell Reid to back Democrats and buck Republicans, instead of the other way around.
    This post brought to you by the Bizarroworld Chamber of Commerce.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    What the hell is up with them using O Fortuna? The song is about how what we do doesn't matter, and we have no choice but to face our fate. I mean, people that know such things aren't their target audience, but the song features odd subject material considering what they are trying to get across.

Maddow said it best - you can make ANYTHING pantswettingly terrifying by setting it to O Fortuna.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »

That more or less fits the bill.

It also more or less fits the man.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Isn't Kaine head of the DNC?

Fencingsax on