As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Complete Failures Of All That Is Logic

12346»

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    God, RTS AI is some the worst I have ever seen. Particularly anything in the C&C series, although AoE and EE are practically just as bad.

I think the single worst example is the hover tanks from C&C Tiberium-something-or-other. The entire point of the unit is that it is a tank that is also pretty fast and maneuverable. But does it ever use this fact? No. If I tell them to go attack something, they will stand there and shoot at it and then die because their armor is god-awful. You have to manually keep telling them to move places in order for them to actually evade fire. FUCK!

Hit and run tactics are something that still hasn't really been worked out in RTS (which is why most aircraft in RTS games consist of oddly-unmanueverable helicopters that rush back to their base when they are done).

Even in games like World in Conflict, heavy helicopters will just fly to a target, unload all their rockets, and wait till they reload to do so again. This is how tanks attack, provided they have lazy drivers. Not helicopters.

Curiously enough, FPS tend to handle this much better. Especially games like Halo. But you go and take Halo Wars...and it's the same damn thing again, I think.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think much of that is making it so that player micro means something. At some point, you're automating more than many people would argue should be automated.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think much of that is making it so that player micro means something. At some point, you're automating more than many people would argue should be automated.

Fuck that shit. My units should be smart enough to be able to survive for two minutes while I'm busy back at base handling production and shit.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, Halo wars pretty much does the same thing.

However, they're on the right track, because one vehicle, the ghost, has an upgrade which basically just lets it evade attack. If its fired upon, it can strafe left or right to avoid fire. This lets it dodge like 1 in 5 attacks or something.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you want to be able to macro and micro at the same time without any effort at all then you should be playing a turn based strategy game. There should be more reason for it being in real time than just getting to see fancy unit animations.

Now back on topic (this thread is not supposed to be about games being unrealistic ffs), movement in Quake games. It makes no sense, but it's so wonderful. If I could strafe jump to the store and back I would be living in a perfect world.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is one of the things I like about SupCom and Sins of a Solar Empire.

You can easily select bases, give them orders, deal with economy while keeping up enough micro on units if you're fast enough, because a: queues, and b: any individual unit is nothing, so losing 4-5 units while you go back to queue up another 40 and start building a Quantum Gateway or something doesn't matter.

Though in Sins it's less "Units don't matter" and more "Combat is leisurely enough that it doesn't matter"

Khavall on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is one of the things I like about SupCom and Sins of a Solar Empire.

You can easily select bases, give them orders, deal with economy while keeping up enough micro on units if you're fast enough, because a: queues, and b: any individual unit is nothing, so losing 4-5 units while you go back to queue up another 40 and start building a Quantum Gateway or something doesn't matter.

Though in Sins it's less "Units don't matter" and more "Combat is leisurely enough that it doesn't matter"

Khavall on