As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Manga Writer

Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
The reason I am asking this is because, while art takes pratice and I am trying my hardest, I am still finding it hard to do. I can write stories on my own and have no limit to my imagination.

The question is where would I go to write stories for Manga? I would at least like to work for a company or with an artist developing the story and learning how to draw on the side. I have no problem relocating anywhere. Could anyone of you guys help me on this?

I have also started to take some Japnese classes to learn the language and hopefully will be ready in a couple of years time to write on my own.

Katchem_ash on

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hate to break it to you, but no one in Japan is going to want anything to do with you. With what you've got now, I'd say your best bet is to find an artist, and start doing a web based comic. Make it good, make it popular, start selling dead tree compilations, and make a name for yourself that way.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No offense, but anyone who has the attitude "art is hard and takes practice, but oh, I can write!" isn't going to make it as a serious writer.

Thanatos on
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    No offense, but anyone who has the attitude "art is hard and takes practice, but oh, I can write!" isn't going to make it as a serious writer.

My writing is the main thing, my art is more like a hobby. I just added it there because many Manga writers are artists as well as I can't really drawn anything good but my writing is excellent.

I can accept rejection but I just want to get my foot in the door. Maybe sending out scripts is a good idea?

Katchem_ash on
  • MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=1016

That goes for writers too as well as artists.

Munacra on
    edited March 2007
    Munacra wrote: »
    http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=1016

That goes for writers too as well as artists.

Thanks for that. The main reason I want to do manga is because I have a whole plot line of series which tie in togeather, a semi-historical fantasy book, which while it can be novelized and I hope it will, but I feel it would be better in a comic form as describing every single move the character does is a little tedious and could be better expressed in a visual form. I could go to Marvel or DC but knowing thier tastes for changing everything or restarting it, I don't want to expose myself to that sort of treatment.

In the end, if I would hard maybe I can get a Chinese or Korean Manwha to help me with it if Japan doesn't work out. Canada has limited artists who actually work in this field and are actually good. And besides, I don't have the resources to pay someone a salary to draw every single day based on my direction.

Katchem_ash on
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Find an artist, do a webcomic. There ya go.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Theres no such thing as the position you want to have. People who write manga, also draw it. You could hire an artist to do all the art for you, but thats gonna cost a LOT of money that Im betting you dont have. Maybe you could afford a high school student who draws mainly stick figures, but you'll never get a pro. So, if you want this done right, then you'd have to get a job to fund your project just like any other bussinessman. Or take out a loan.

Just to be clear again, NO ONE will hire you to write out a comic.

As far as it being manga, well, I hope youre fluent in japanese, and look japanese, because part of it being a manga means it was made in japan by the japanese.

Seriously, what are you expecting. You said "In the end, if I would hard maybe I can get a Chinese or Korean Manwha to help me with it if Japan doesn't work out. Canada has limited artists who actually work in this field and are actually good. And besides, I don't have the resources to pay someone a salary to draw every single day based on my direction." What, is this manwha supposed to just "help you out" because hes bored?? You just said you cant pay him. This is a guy who probably has to support himself and a family on his art and you just expect him to help for free? Wtf are you smoking. Do you even have a writing portfolio or some published works to show youre not writing at a 3 year old level? Im also assuming that you speak japanese, korean, and chinese or else you wont really be able to even TALK to them. Regardless, these people are PROFESSIONALS. Some people actually have to get a job so that they can BUY food and what not.

YOU NEED TO PAY PEOPLE TO DO SKILLED LABOR!!!

aesir on
    edited March 2007
    I have written 2 books which are not published and am working on the third one. This story whicih I am working on consists on many series each with 3-6 books detailing the life, the anguish and other things.

I support this by actually working and I do have enough savings to stay without a job for 9 months. I don't plan to freeload on an artist, I just plan to collaberate with them and to do it togeather. I don't expect him to stay hungry and neither do I expect myself to do so either.

I just wanted to do a Manga cause I fell my story will be better told with an illistrated form rather than long text based on what actions the character takes. Its actually quite tideous to write every single step the character takes to swing his sword so the reader can actually imagine how the character swings.

Katchem_ash on
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have written 2 books which are not published and am working on the third one. This story whicih I am working on consists on many series each with 3-6 books detailing the life, the anguish and other things.

I support this by actually working and I do have enough savings to stay without a job for 9 months. I don't plan to freeload on an artist, I just plan to collaberate with them and to do it togeather. I don't expect him to stay hungry and neither do I expect myself to do so either.

I just wanted to do a Manga cause I fell my story will be better told with an illistrated form rather than long text based on what actions the character takes. Its actually quite tideous to write every single step the character takes to swing his sword so the reader can actually imagine how the character swings.

Part of writing is enjoying writing out everything. Seems to me you just want to take the easy way out. :|

Aurin on
  • trixtahtrixtah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    aesir wrote: »
    Theres no such thing as the position you want to have. People who write manga, also draw it. You could hire an artist to do all the art for you, but thats gonna cost a LOT of money that Im betting you dont have. Maybe you could afford a high school student who draws mainly stick figures, but you'll never get a pro. So, if you want this done right, then you'd have to get a job to fund your project just like any other bussinessman. Or take out a loan.

Just to be clear again, NO ONE will hire you to write out a comic.

As far as it being manga, well, I hope youre fluent in japanese, and look japanese, because part of it being a manga means it was made in japan by the japanese.

Seriously, what are you expecting. You said "In the end, if I would hard maybe I can get a Chinese or Korean Manwha to help me with it if Japan doesn't work out. Canada has limited artists who actually work in this field and are actually good. And besides, I don't have the resources to pay someone a salary to draw every single day based on my direction." What, is this manwha supposed to just "help you out" because hes bored?? You just said you cant pay him. This is a guy who probably has to support himself and a family on his art and you just expect him to help for free? Wtf are you smoking. Do you even have a writing portfolio or some published works to show youre not writing at a 3 year old level? Im also assuming that you speak japanese, korean, and chinese or else you wont really be able to even TALK to them. Regardless, these people are PROFESSIONALS. Some people actually have to get a job so that they can BUY food and what not.

no, a lot of the time, there is a different writer than the artist but then again since he's kind of not well known...

maybe someone might pick up his story if it's good

anyway I'm not of much help except to not dash this guy's hopes

trixtah on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007

well, you're going to have to write every single step anyway so the artist knows what to draw

Orikaeshigitae on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    trixtah wrote: »
    no, a lot of the time, there is a different writer than the artist but then again since he's kind of not well known...

maybe someone might pick up his story if it's good

anyway I'm not of much help except to not dash this guy's hopes

You are not helping please stop now

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

Well its cool that you've finished a few books, but think of it this way: the only way youre gonna find someone to collaborate with you is if they're a student, and probably not horribly skilled, and even then, why wouldn't this artist want to draw their own story rather then have someone else tell him what to do? Its not likes hes getting paid. He might as well not get paid to do what he wants.

aesir on
    edited March 2007
    Aurin wrote: »

Part of writing is enjoying writing out everything. Seems to me you just want to take the easy way out. :|

No its not that. Usually, when I imagine a character he holds the sword in a particular way. Now people know from movies how swords work, but his sword is held hilt first, the blade of the sword touching his back with the point of the just showing behind him.

I would actually have to do stances of how he looks with a particular pose, have someone photograph me, print the photograph and use it as a reference. Usually involves more work than the actually writing.

I am trying to eliminate that. I have no quams about writing long winded speaches or the status of the battlefield or how the grass is greener in the particular province.

Katchem_ash on
  • LanthisLanthis Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do you have a chapter/issue of your first manga written?

Lanthis on
    edited March 2007
    Lanthis wrote: »
    Do you have a chapter/issue of your first manga written?

No, I haven't converted it into Manga story yet, but I do have the first novel's first chapter though.

Katchem_ash on
  • AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    oh man someone get him to post his novels please please

Axim on
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Axim wrote: »
    oh man someone get him to post his novels please please

Actually it might be an idea to get them into the Writer's Den, to see if the writing could get him anywhere. O_o

Aurin on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can... can we see what you have so far? ....Please?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

Nor are they going to make it studying Japanese.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ketchum you seriously have a better chance at becoming president than at making it in the manga industry in japan.

Sars_Boy on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Ketchum you seriously have a better chance at becoming president than at making it in the manga industry in japan.
    kekeke.jpg

"I just got off the phone with my opponent..."

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Either say something constructive, or GTFO.

Thanatos on
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OK.

K_A, so far the only thing you've said is that you want to do Manga for a living. While yes, there are Writer-Artist teams in comics (both eastern and western), these are usually individuals with a track record. Manga is a visual medium. That means, if you want to do this for a living, you will need to focus on art.

Not writing.

Writer-Artist teams that break into the business were usually friends first before they made a career out of something they enjoyed doing together.

If you want to write, then focus your effort in another field. Fiction is a possibility. It's also been my experience that anyone who says they're good at writing usually isn't. My suggestion there would be to read other works of fiction. Look for courses you can take on the craft -- not just for the mechanics of it, but to also put you in a community of writers. Both of these should give you a good idea of how your material stands up to that of your peers and will give you pointers on technique. Of course, you should write often. It's the only way you'll improve.

Doronron on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    If you were to take the conventional route as a comic writer, then you'd be looking for a publisher to commission/hire you to write a comic. They'd also commission an artist to draw the comic so that wouldn't be your problem.

However, getting to the point where a publisher will even consider hiring you to write their internal news letter takes some getting to. If you have story all planed out and everything then you could take the long shot of pitching it to publishers in the same way that an author would pitch his novel to publishers and hope it gets picked up.

Alternatively, you befriend an artist and decide to collaborate as an extra-curricular venture with a view to going the self-publishing route - either via a webcomic format or a print on demand service.

Thing is, you and this artist are going to have to be very good friends because you are going to be doing this for love not money, at least initially. If you get lucky then the webcomic might become popular enough to eek a living off advertising and merchandising or the print on demand comic books might be a run-away success, but without a big publishing house paying you a commission there's no way to guarantee it'll ever make you any money. For every Gabe and Tycho there are a hundred thousand Squidis.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, why manga?
    I mean, I love the things, but whenever a Westerner attempts to emulate Japanese culturalisms I cringe and die a little inside. The story should stand on its own and not because it's manga or whatever.
    That said, follow the advice given here and start a webcomic. Think of it this way: if a person doesn't want to read your story when you're giving it away for free, there's no chance that they'll pay for it.
    What's interesting is the particular stigma attached to OEL (Original English Language) manga. Those who read manga won't touch it because it's not from japan, and those who read comics won't touch it because it's manga styled. Marvel's failed attempt at a "mangaverse" is proof that it's normally a bad bad idea.
    However, don't lose hope. There are a few successful OEL authors such as Rivkah and Svetlana. And some books with a manga styled artwork sell very well, such as McKeever and Miyazawa's Spider-man Loves MaryJane.
    I think there's a section on Warren Ellis's The Engine discussion board on OEL manga so you may want to check there. However, DO NOT under any circumstances be an ass.

Bad Kitty on
  • whatloves4whatloves4 Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    lol most of these guys sound like a-holes...I guess I'm really fortunate to have a cousin who is an incredible artist and knows how to collaborate a manga...I'm a pretty good writer myself and I'm planning on turning my story into a manga, so i feel for you.

Don't let anyone get you down, you never know until you try....

Check out this site: http://www.tokyopop.com/Manga_Pilots/gopro/1543079.html

or

http://www.jumpland.com/about/index_en.html .......for some inspiration :]

whatloves4 on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What's up with "I want to be a writer without putting in the other recommended work" threads lately?

Why haven't your two novels been published? That is to say, have you submitted them to a publisher at any point? Do you think they're good enough to be published? With what you want to do, you're going to need examples of your work. Even the guy who writes the copy for magazine ads got his job because he had a portfolio of work he'd done before to get him into that job. It only becomes more complicated as you're actually trying to attract a publisher to such a monumental task as financing your effort to contract an artist.

I'd recommend doing some serious thinking over whether you've produced anything worth publishing. If you have, start pursuing publication. If you haven't, find an outlet (often unpaid) that will help you to start building a portfolio of writing. This would be where all those "start a webcomic!" ideas would go. If you can drive enough traffic to your work, it's still just as viable as having something printed on paper.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Post whatever it is you've done in Writer's block, get good at writing. See if that goes anywhere.

Take baby steps, a first goal should not be 'I'm going to be fluent in a new language with a different alphabet, prove myself as a professional writer, and then integrate myself into a business in which I am starting from scratch with no contacts and little idea of the inner workings.''

A better goal would be, ''I'm going to practice writing until a point where I can get something, ANYTHING, published, in any form, no matter how small'' That is a sensible and achievable goal if you have some talent.

I would also back off from saying things like,
    I could go to Marvel or DC but knowing thier tastes for changing everything or restarting it, I don't want to expose myself to that sort of treatment.

It makes you sound delusional, suggesting that you COULD choose if you wanted, to go and get something published by a huge major label, with nothing published previously. Frankly it makes you sound like you don't know how these things work.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    What's up with "I want to be a writer without putting in the other recommended work" threads lately?
    "lately"?

Baron Dirigible on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This thread is 2 years old and the OP has been banned.

That is one hell of a necropost.

Last Son on
This discussion has been closed.