As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Name some Wii games that are as good as their 360/PS3 Counterparts

ScootaScoota Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
I was flipping through my Wii collection, and I noticed that if I could get a game on 360 or PS3, I'd defiantly get it there instead of on the Wii. So I was curious, does anyone know of a game that came out on all three platforms that is BETTER on the Wii? Or at least as good as the other systems.

steam_sig.png
Scoota on

• SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not sure how that would even be possible. Maybe some VC games or something. I suppose you could make a case for The Force Unleashed.

Personally I think Ultimate Alliance is as good as the other versions, it just doesn't have the better graphics or online component. If you don't care about either of those factors (which I don't) and like the controls (which I do), you're generally fine with the Wii version.

I'm pretty sure Medal of Honor Heroes 2 is superior to the PSP version.

Generally you don't see a lot of cross-platform games between Wii/360. Developers have caught onto the fact that the Wii's graphics and horsepower are a decade behind the times, and tend to try to compensate for it with a good art style.

Saddler on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This thread seems a thinly-veiled crack on the Wii, but I'll bite.

The Godfather
    PS3 and 360 have better graphics, but all three versions have really solid controls. The Wii's are different enough so that if you're not invested in Achievements, you could get the Wii version over the 360 version. I went through the game on PS2, and the Wii version is pretty much that with different controls.

Ghostbusters
    This comes out next month, and while the gameplay and story is (from what I've heard) pretty much unchanged, the graphics are done in a different style than the next-gen systems, so they don't have that "bad 3D" effect and instead just have a cool cartoony look.

I'm trying to think of more, but I personally can't. I can't agree with Ultimate Alliance, the Wii controls for some of those moves were really non-responsive. I went through it on both PS2 and 360, and while I didn't mind the PS2 version's graphics, I was pretty wowed by the 360's.

UnbreakableVow on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Scoota wrote: »
    I was flipping through my Wii collection, and I noticed that if I could get a game on 360 or PS3, I'd defiantly get it there instead of on the Wii. So I was curious, does anyone know of a game that came out on all three platforms that is BETTER on the Wii? Or at least as good as the other systems.

It's not really surprising that the best games for the Wii were developed for it specifically and not some sort of cross platform nonsense. It's not great at everything, but it doesn't really compete in the same market. I really like RE4 on the Wii, and I have a feeling Dead Space will be great on it as well. Quite honestly, RE4 Wii edition is one of the most fun games ever made in my opinion, and I can't imagine trying to play the game with any other aiming mechanic at this point.

dispatch.o on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    From what I've heard, the 360 port of Bully has (or at least had) a tendency to crash all the time, while the Wii version didn't.

gtrmp on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pro Evo 2008 supposedly.

Maybe some of the Tiger Woods games.

It's rare that as much effort is put into a Wii game that has a PS360 counterpart so it's not really a fair comparison or a reflection of the Wii at all, really. It gets pretty tedious hearing everyone hating on the Wii when it's really the publishers that are at fault. Most of the industry ran out of inspiration somewhere last gen so there's really only a general trend of making things bigger and not necessarily better. Some people are fine with that, apparently. This will probably be a pretty short thread. Maybe things will change when Motion+ comes out.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pro Evo and Tiger Woods are poor examples.

Both are much better than their HD counterparts.

Megaman 9 is as good if not better than the PS3/360 versions.

Godfather and Bully have things that are better on one and worse on the other.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

This will be a sad list because most multiplat games are designed for non-motion based consoles first then shoehorned onto the Wii. Thus the best Wii games are the ones designed exclusively for the Wii and thus not multiplatform at all...

That said, here is a few but it's only going to be a few:

Pro Evo Soccer 08 and 09
    Mega Man 9
    Tiger Woods 09 and probably 10 as well
    Shaun White
    Godfather
    Rayman RR
    Bully
    And Harry Potter the whatever

Anyway, the point is, don't look to the Wii for 360/PS3 ports. Look to it for its original games. Capcom may have screwed up on Dead Rising Wii, but they did great with Zack & Wiki, for example. Sega may have screwed up Sonic Unleashed on Wii compared to 360/PS3, but they also gave us MadWorld, Sonic Secret Rings, and HOTD Overkill as another.

You own a 360/PS3. You don't just then go and buy a Wii for the same games as those systems. You buy a Wii for the great Wii games... Why wouldn't you?

slash000 on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ghostbusters
    This comes out next month, and while the gameplay and story is (from what I've heard) pretty much unchanged, the graphics are done in a different style than the next-gen systems, so they don't have that "bad 3D" effect and instead just have a cool cartoony look

Is this still on track for a Wii release? I was pretty set on getting it for the Wii instead of the 360 just because I liked the style based on the old cartoon, but last I heard, Sony had picked up the game from Sierra or whoever had it last, and the 360/Wii/PC versions were pretty well doomed.

Hevach on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Sony thing was only for Europe, re: Ghostbusters publishing.

And even then, it's only timed-exclusivity in europe. The other versions will come out later in the year.

So... Sony publishing in Europe won't affect non-europe countries and even then only for a short period.

slash000 on
    edited May 2009
    If you're in a PAL region, other versions are on hold.

If you're in the USA with the cool people, you can pick your copy up June 19.

UnbreakableVow on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well that's a relief. I preordered the Wii version back when it was still coming out in October, I've been pretty close to trying to get my $5 back a dozen times already.

Hevach on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    The Sony thing was only for Europe, re: Ghostbusters publishing.

And even then, it's only timed-exclusivity in europe. The other versions will come out later in the year.

So... Sony publishing in Europe won't affect non-europe countries and even then only for a short period.

Really?

I thought the only Sony thing was that originally they scraped the PSP version, and after the Sony purchase, the PSP version was back on.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was flipping through my Wii collection, and I noticed that if I could get a game on 360 or PS3, I'd defiantly get it there instead of on the Wii.

Why? (Serious question)
    So I was curious, does anyone know of a game that came out on all three platforms that is BETTER on the Wii? Or at least as good as the other systems.

What do you mean by "better"? (Serious question, again.)

Well, I'm still going to try to help out. Correct me if I'm wrong, people.

In addition to what's already been said, there's the entire Guitar Hero series from GH3 onward. They're as equal as they could have made them at the time of each game's release. Being able to buy a 3rd party guitar for $20 also helps in the overall cost of instruments since they need a Wiimote to work.

And Rock Band 2, I think. Certainly NOT Rock Band 1.

There's also Geometry Wars Galaxies. It includes Retro Evolved, has Classic Controller support, and Wiimote pointer/Nunchuk controls, and it's probably not much more than the cost of the XBLA version. (I got mine last year for $10 new.) "Galaxies" itself is around 60+ levels, and Retro Evolved feels like one level, so there's plenty of content to the game. (Please note that I haven't been able to see/play Retro Evolved 2.)

Perhaps slightly cheating here, but there's Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection (or Williams Pinball Classics if you're in PAL-land). It's better technically due to the fact that the 360/PS3 versions aren't released yet, while Wii/PS2/PSP versions have been out for over a year now (except in PAL-land). The game itself is amazing, and the Wii controls makes the experience nigh-perfect. However, there is a rumor from a NeoGAF thread that the 360/PS3 versions might have a couple of extra tables. More tables or more natural feeling controls? Either way, it's win/win.

Also, a note about Ghostbusters, Wii (and PS2?) will have something 360/PS3 won't: Local Co-Op.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    edited May 2009
    BTP wrote: »
    I was flipping through my Wii collection, and I noticed that if I could get a game on 360 or PS3, I'd defiantly get it there instead of on the Wii.

Why? (Serious question)
    So I was curious, does anyone know of a game that came out on all three platforms that is BETTER on the Wii? Or at least as good as the other systems.

What do you mean by "better"? (Serious question, again.)

Well, I'm still going to try to help out. Correct me if I'm wrong, people.

In addition to what's already been said, there's the entire Guitar Hero series from GH3 onward. They're as equal as they could have made them at the time of each game's release. Being able to buy a 3rd party guitar for $20 also helps in the overall cost of instruments since they need a Wiimote to work.

And Rock Band 2, I think. Certainly NOT Rock Band 1.

For both of these examples, the core game is the same, however:

A) The DLC solution still isn't adequate compared to 360/PS3
    B) With RB2 at least, Wii still only has a fraction of the DLC that 360/PS3 does
    C) Both PS3 and 360 versions look loads better

Even discounting the DLC problems, it wouldn't matter. They control the same and are basically the same game on every platform, so if they look better on 360/PS3, that is an advantage that the Wii does not have and therefore those versions are better.

UnbreakableVow on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    name a game that was started/optimized on the wii then ported to the 360/ps3.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited May 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

When it comes out, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

Wait, what's your point here?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited May 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

When it comes out, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

Wait, what's your point here?

name a port with a near release date to the original that's better than its original.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited May 2009
    If you're trying to make a point against the whole "X game releases on console at all times, plays the same on all, but looks better on PS3/360 so that version is better", it won't work.

EDIT: Not with the examples I named, anyway. I suppose you could say that the controls of games like, say, The Godfather, further your opinion on that version but I think you'd be seriously fooling yourself and just trying to justify that version over another. My example named games that control exactly the same across all three consoles.

And to answer your question, Mirror's Edge. Developed on PS3, but looks better on 360 and they perform the same.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited May 2009
    saying games are made and optimized for the 360/ps3, then ported over and compressed for the wii's capabilities, so they look like shit.

if they were made and designed for the wii first, the wii version would look better. of course the ps3/360 will probably still look better than the wii version.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited May 2009
    That's...pretty much echoing what everyone's been saying throughout the thread? No one's arguing with that.

If a game is a perfect 10 across all platforms in every category, but it has an 8 in the graphics department on the Wii as opposed to 360 and PS3, of course you'll pick up the PS3/360 version.

People might say "Well that's not fair because the Wii is only so powerful" and to that I say "Tough titties Turkelton." Nintendo made a choice, and the choice proved to be the smart one in terms of sales.

UnbreakableVow on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have Blazing Angels on the Wii and it's fun to fly a plane with the Wii controls. I played Blazing Angels on the 360 at my friends house, and it's not as fun as the Wii's. I think the Wii's version is better, but the 360 version obviously looks better.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited May 2009
    People might say "Well that's not fair because the Wii is only so powerful" and to that I say "Tough titties Turkelton." Nintendo made a choice, and the choice proved to be the smart one in terms of sales.
    Yeah but the wii has a different control scheme. so it's not as simple as x has better graphics. but as i'm trying to point out, most games are first made on the 360/ps3 then downgraded and ported to the wii as an afterthought. so it has shit graphics and horrible waggle controls

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For both of these examples, the core game is the same, however:

A) The DLC solution still isn't adequate compared to 360/PS3
    B) With RB2 at least, Wii still only has a fraction of the DLC that 360/PS3 does
    C) Both PS3 and 360 versions look loads better

Even discounting the DLC problems, it wouldn't matter. They control the same and are basically the same game on every platform, so if they look better on 360/PS3, that is an advantage that the Wii does not have and therefore those versions are better.
    Seriously, you're going to cite graphics for Rock Band/Guitar Hero? DLC arguments, fine; graphics arguments for, say, and FPS or driving game, I can buy that - but we're talking about coloured dots moving down the screen here. As long as they're clear, that's really all that matters there.

Seol on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah but he means the people, like, the in game characters behind the screen and the venues and how much more dynamic the lighting is and stuff.

I have Rock Band 2 on the Wii and I love it

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Star Wars: Force Unleashed.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bully: Scholarship Edition

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll echo what a few have said...if you have a PS3/360 then you don't buy the Wii for multi-plat games, you buy it for the games designed specifically for the Wii. That's what I do with my Wii60 combo powerhouse at my home. I have the Wii for the major stuff for that system, and guess what, my Wii game collection far exceeds my 360 collection...crazy I know.

If you are hard pressed to find a better multi plat game, then look no further than Tiger Woods. After you play it on the Wii, you'll never want to play it again on another system. I have read that Tiger Woods 10 will be even better with the WiiMotion+ which lets you have near perfect control over how and where you hit the ball.

Arguably Bully and Godfather were better, since the controls were pure awesome.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited May 2009

Why are they poor examples? They're perfect examples. I was answering the question posed by the OP. Is this some sort of internet joke that I don't get?

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Why are they poor examples? They're perfect examples. I was answering the question posed by the OP. Is this some sort of internet joke that I don't get?

I think he meant that Pro Evo and Tiger Woods are poor examples because they're much better on the Wii than on the other two systems. The question was "name Wii games that are as good as their 360/PS3 counterparts", not "name Wii games that are much, much better than their 360/PS3 counterparts".

Anyway, I'll echo the sentiments from previous posters - you don't buy a Wii for the multi-plat games, you buy them for Wii-specific games. Since most 360/PS3 games are designed for the traditional controller in mind and for "ooh, shiny", porting them down to the Wii generally doesn't work well.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
    edited May 2009
    Oh, yeah. I subsequently thought it might be that. Italicise, man. Italicise.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not to mention the fact that there are relatively few games that are released for all three systems AND isn't significantly different on the Wii. Which, given the extremely different control scheme, vastly lower power level and developers that don't want to take extra time and effort on a port (which the Wii more or less needs by definition), makes the above not surprising at all.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited May 2009
    Ghostbusters is one of the few games that I have read where they designed the game with the Wii in mind so that the Wii game is a different experience. The graphics are done in the designs of the old cartoon (Which Bill Murray said he loves) and the controls are all about using the Wii Remote as your photon laser and the nunchuck act as the ghost trap.

Most hands on reports say that it is by far the more fun version.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    If you are hard pressed to find a better multi plat game, then look no further than Tiger Woods. After you play it on the Wii, you'll never want to play it again on another system. I have read that Tiger Woods 10 will be even better with the WiiMotion+ which lets you have near perfect control over how and where you hit the ball.
    MotionPlus Tiger Woods is shaping up to be amazing. It even has disc golf, with you physically throwing the disc, putting english on it etc.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Why? (Serious question)

-Cheaper ($39.99 or $49.99 compared to $59.99)

-Possibly More Fun due to motion controls.

-Easier on the eyes. (Before you debate me on this, I find that the Wii's graphics are easier to make out due to their lower resolution. Alot of 360 games end up looking so complex it ends up looking like a muddled mess. For example, I downloaded the World at War demo and I couldn't play it because I couldn't tell the enemies from everything else on screen. I'd get shot and killed before I knew what hit me.)

-I play the Wii more often.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited May 2009
    MotionPlus Tiger Woods is shaping up to be amazing. It even has disc golf, with you physically throwing the disc, putting english on it etc.

Yes, every hands on report say it is the difinitive version of golf. Amazing accurate controls, pretty grafix, and disc golf...which sounds like great fun.

Like I said, try Tiger on Wii, you'll never want to play it with a regular controller again. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited May 2009

Why? (Serious question)

-Easier on the eyes. (Before you debate me on this, I find that the Wii's graphics are easier to make out due to their lower resolution. Alot of 360 games end up looking so complex it ends up looking like a muddled mess. For example, I downloaded the World at War demo and I couldn't play it because I couldn't tell the enemies from everything else on screen. I'd get shot and killed before I knew what hit me.)

I don't know if you intended to answer the opposite - the guy was saying he would buy on 360 before buying a Wii game, and BTP asked why.

Why buy it so defiantly?

Anyway, of your reasons, the only one most people will care about is the price. A lot of people think games are less fun due to motion controls, especially the multiplatform games which we are talking about, and a lot of people will also dispute whether it's easier on the eyes. Personally I don't argue with either of those, but in the end you'll hear more opposition than agreement. Your last comment just seems to follow from the above reasons.

Although, considering price being $10 cheaper, that's a good point; it could be said that a lot of Wii games are not equal to their 360/PS3 counterparts, but considering the $10 difference, does that make them actually equal in value? It doesn't look as pretty, but if it plays mostly the same I'd consider that a fair trade-off. With a set amount of money to spend, you can buy 6 Wii games for the price of 5 360 games.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Different things influence my decisions. I bought Mega Man 9 on Wii because of the far superior d-pad on the Classic Controller. I bought Lego Indiana Jones for 360 because of Achievements.

Most games make my choice for me, though, as they usually come out on one or the other. I recently stopped playing Street Fighter IV, because Punch Out came out.

The only one I've heard that was FAR superior on Wii was Shaun White Snowboarding. Tiger Woods on Wii is pretty cool, but I haven't played the 360 version to compare. I understand there is now a demo on XBL now, though, so I should get on that.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• ScootaScoota Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Why? (Serious question)

I don't know if you intended to answer the opposite - the guy was saying he would buy on 360 before buying a Wii game, and BTP asked why.

Why buy it so defiantly?

Anyway, of your reasons, the only one most people will care about is the price. A lot of people think games are less fun due to motion controls, especially the multiplatform games which we are talking about, and a lot of people will also dispute whether it's easier on the eyes. Personally I don't argue with either of those, but in the end you'll hear more opposition than agreement. Your last comment just seems to follow from the above reasons.

Although, considering price being $10 cheaper, that's a good point; it could be said that a lot of Wii games are not equal to their 360/PS3 counterparts, but considering the $10 difference, does that make them actually equal in value? It doesn't look as pretty, but if it plays mostly the same I'd consider that a fair trade-off. With a set amount of money to spend, you can buy 6 Wii games for the price of 5 360 games.

So you're saying you'd rather have Xmen Origins: Wolverine for the Wii than the 360 or PS3, simply based on price?

To answer a few questions earlier, I was simply looking for games on the Wii that are enhanced by the fact that they're on the Wii (probably through motion controls). Assume price is not a factor in this case.

Ghostbusters and Megaman 9 seem like the best answers so far.

Scoota on
    steam_sig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ghostbusters and Megaman 9 seem like the best answers so far.

I've heard the motion-control Madden is fun, and possibly the new Tiger game with Motion +.

But yeah, that's about it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited May 2009
    So you're saying you'd rather have Xmen Origins: Wolverine for the Wii than the 360 or PS3, simply based on price?

I'd rather not have XMen Origins: Wolverine, actually.

And to be honest, yes, I'd also rather not own a PS3, simply based on price.

UncleSporky on