As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Abandon Hope, Ye Who Enter [Previews Thread] Avoiding Spoilers

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    how the hell is magog terrible 90's comics personified?

How the Hell did you never realize this?

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I didn't read Kingdom Come until the 90s were over, so it didn't occur to me either.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Ultimatum #4 Preview

Shit Sandwich.

Uh.
    Spider-Man's dead?
    Honestly I didn't think they'd do it, but they just might have. I still have faith that USM vol. 2 will be good though.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Dying in a blast of magic has to be one of the least conclusive "deaths" you can have.

DMAC on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    agreed

ManonvonSuperock on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I'm just going to be done with the ultimate line when they re-debut. This whole Ultimatum BS is has just tainted everything for me, so so terrible.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I will as well.

If anything I will pick up USM in trades now I guess, but the delays and just the general sense of "who cares" keeps popping into my head with the Ultimate line now.

TexiKen on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I think I will as well.

If anything I will pick up USM in trades now I guess, but the delays and just the general sense of "who cares" keeps popping into my head with the Ultimate line now.

Yea, basically. I used to give a damn about the ultimate universe, but a convergence of events (Kirkman's dreadful run on UXM, everything Loeb's touched, the lackluster UFF) have kind of led me not to care about much of anything in the Ultimate universe, even USM sadly. Probably not fair of me, but yea, I just don't really care for anything in the ultimate universe anymore.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eh, I'll still get USM (whoops, I mean UCSM) at the least. It's not like Bendis is leaving the book or anything.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited May 2009
    Ultimate Avengers should be good as well. And whatever the hell the 4th ongoing is might be good, depending on the creative team of course.

wirehead26 on
    edited June 2009
    Justice League: Cry for Justice #1 preview is up.

So far so good. I thought the art would be better if it's taken a year, seems less like painted art and more colors over finished pencils.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009
    those colors look atrocious. way too saturated for that art style.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009
    Why is Hal's idea so revolutionary? I was under the impression that heroes were already in the business of tracking down villains who were at large.

As for the art, the blank stares aren't really suitable for a meeting that precipitates a division in the League.

Robos A Go Go on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why is Hal's idea so revolutionary? I was under the impression that heroes were already in the business of tracking down villains who were at large.

As for the art, the blank stares aren't really suitable for a meeting that precipitates a division in the League.

I believe his point is that the current status quo is that heroes only wait for a villain to attack, and then respond. He's suggesting that they be more proactive, going after known villains even if they're laying low at the moment.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2009
    a bit of....Extreme Justice, if you will?

Superheroes are never open to the military superheroes it seems, like Captain Atom and GL when they try to do this shizzle.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009

I believe his point is that the current status quo is that heroes only wait for a villain to attack, and then respond. He's suggesting that they be more proactive, going after known villains even if they're laying low at the moment.

I understood that much. What I can't understand is why we're supposed to think that the heroes weren't going after villains in hiding already. Are we seriously meant to believe that when Joker's out of Arkham, nobody looks for him until he does something naughty?

Robos A Go Go on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

I understood that much. What I can't understand is why we're supposed to think that the heroes weren't going after villains in hiding already. Are we seriously meant to believe that, when Joker's out of Arkham, nobody looks for him until he does something naughty?
    Also, this isn't a new idea at all. See Extreme Justice, as referenced above.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

From what I recall, and I have tried to block most of it out, but Extreme Justice never really went after villains in a proactive way. They mostly just fucked around getting attacked by robots, Nathaniel Adam-dressed-as-Monarch, some random villains, and a crazy, pregnant Star Sapphire. Though they did invade Bialya at one point.

But yeah, a team of proactive heroes is hardly a new idea; Justice League Taskforce, Justice League Elite, and the Outsiders have all done it before.

Munch on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Munch wrote: »

From what I recall, and I have tried to block most of it out, but Extreme Justice never really went after villains in a proactive way. They mostly just fucked around getting attacked by robots, Nathaniel Adam-dressed-as-Monarch, some random villains, and a crazy, pregnant Star Sapphire. Though they did invade Bialya at one point.

But yeah, a team of proactive heroes is hardly a new idea; Justice League Taskforce, Justice League Elite, and the Outsiders have all done it before.

I bet she didn't like that D:

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was thinking of Justice League Elite. I mean, the names aren't really that far off.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2009
    John Layman, creator and writer of Chew, posted the full script for the first issue on CBR: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21441 It's a pretty interesting read, a good preview, and even better is a great resource for wannabe creators. Apparently he'll be posting all of his scripts.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2009
    Thank Gods I have absolutely no interest in Batman and Robin. That looks horrible.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2009
    I'm stoked about it. first Batman comic I've been excited about in a while, actually.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009
    My problem is that I don't like the character of Damien at all. So I just won't be reading the book, I guess.

Fencingsax on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Preview for the next Fantastic Four.

Well, at least Doom isn't being a subservient bitch to his master. I'm not sure where Miller's going with the alternate future thing, though.

Uncanny X-Men's Preview also clarifies one of the problems people had with last issue.
    You can see Asian-Betsy in the background, so Kwannon is in the British body.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BRB: Godhunter #1

I love Kieron's take on Agent Brand. And the whole story sounds awesome.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009
    I wonder what's up with KG's BRB mini though. It's coming out awfully slowly.

wwtMask on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not really. The SI aftermath issue was a one-shot. This is the mini. It could have been more timely, but I'm not complaining.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009
    Oh, okay. Didn't realize that.

wwtMask on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Preview for the next Fantastic Four.

Well, at least Doom isn't being a subservient bitch to his master. I'm not sure where Miller's going with the alternate future thing, though.

Uncanny X-Men's Preview also clarifies one of the problems people had with last issue.
    You can see Asian-Betsy in the background, so Kwannon is in the British body.

You'd think alternate future's would be really low on the list of shit to do with [any book here]. There are few good examples so why bother?

Last but not least: Any cover where cyclops is posed as if pooping his pants or pretending to be balancing on a surf board get my full approval.

Caveman Paws on
    edited June 2009
    It's probably not an alternate future. They've probably trapped Doom in some kind of fantasy world, where he'll get exactly what he wants only to have it taken away.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    so that FF preview reminded me how much I hate it when artists try to put in photos for shit they're too lazy to draw. It's enough to keep me from reading/buying a book most of the time.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009
    Hitch probably did that just to keep the issue from getting delayed further. Hell, he's not even drawing the last Millar issue, Stuart Immomen is.

wirehead26 on
    edited June 2009
    yeah, another reason why i hate the serialized format. artist changes and corner cutting for deadlines rampant.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009
    Hitch had about a year of lead-in time, nobody else's fault. Not the inker (when has a company been picky about an inker? If they are breathing they will ink something in a pinch), no one.

TexiKen on
  • Bob SlidelBob Slidel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I understood that much. What I can't understand is why we're supposed to think that the heroes weren't going after villains in hiding already. Are we seriously meant to believe that when Joker's out of Arkham, nobody looks for him until he does something naughty?

Yeah, kind of. What they're implying is that superheroes don't make it their business to stop crime and mayhem at the source, just contain and clean it up. Even Batman never hunted down his enemies.

Not even Joker.

Because they're criminals. How the hell are you supposed to pin them down until they pop up? Search every building in every city? It's not like they use credit cards.

Hal is saying that they should. Fucking manhunt.
    Batman is dead. It's about time to start.

Bob Slidel on
    mario.gif
  • Bob SlidelBob Slidel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My problem is that I don't like the character of Damien at all. So I just won't be reading the book, I guess.

Plus, he's kind of a raving lunatic, at least he was in Batman and Son, which is pretty much where I stopped reading Batman up until R.I.P.

I don't particularly like the new Batman and Robin team. Dick Grayson is not nearly the detective of Bruce Wayne, or even Tim.

BAM!! Shouldn't be Batman.

Bob Slidel on
    mario.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The scans I saw with Hal and Ollie made it look like they were maybe torturing some bad guy.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2009
    Prometheus.

Hopefully for his role in killing Anima and cutting off Gunfire's hands.

I hate that so many superheroes don't seem to care when a B-list hero gets killed or maimed, so I'd like to see some righteous indignation.

Munch on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It would be a fun thing for an Elseworlds, but the real reason for most of the nonsensical things (mass-murderers running wild, no one caring about c/b-listers dying, people forgetting the world almost ended a few months ago) is editorial. Trying to create some in-universe explanation for things caused by editorial mandate or poor writing or whatever strikes me as risky business.

DouglasDanger on