As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The I draw stuff because I can place NSFW lots of stuffz on OP

• Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    k, this is probably the best way for me to critique your landscape painting....

notes.jpg

are you learning composition theory in school? because if not you really need to study it especially if your doing landscape painting. I dunno if these paintings are for class or your own personal projects, but if your spending hours on these aren't getting any sort of feedback or initial direction with composition, then your just wasting your time. As much as you press on about layouts and measurements, I'm not seeing that much in play with your own work. Overall, composition is a make or break deal with paintings. If your teacher isn't teaching you the rule of thirds, the golden ratio, employment of geometry, while have you do these, then you need to start seeking instructions if not from her than from somewhere else. Anyways, I did a full paintover in corel painter, do demonstrate how you can use the Fibonacci spiral to help you decide the placement of forms/lighting/perspective/etc. I hope you don't take this as a display of oneupmanship, not at all my intent, I just want to demontrate how you can employ these basic rules into your work and definetely make something alot more memorable the next time.
    spiral.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks, I'm not learning composition but i'll show you what i'm going to be doing to this painting next week (because i'm still working on it) I'm really wanting to learn composition now because of the fact that I feel like i'm kind of ready to actually start making pieces rather then worry 100% about if I drew it correctly.

I like what you pointed out because those are actually the points I was intending to "enhance" the light is strong there because i'm going to add a Clearer shine going down unto the road, this is also why the road is extremely bright, but there is no sign of light hitting it. (it's still not painted in yet)

I was complaining about the horizon to glad you saw what was wrong with it. Here i'll show you whats unfinished in it

oooopainting.jpg

I'm going to add a straight horizon that is "Guding" the eyes in the background, but i'm going to give the upper part a slope with the tree inbetween. I was having trouble with that and merely left it for me to look it over at home when I took a picture of it.

Edit: I'm also going to expand and push the size of the road to give a sense of depth to the over all painting.

I have yet to touch the ground a second time (That is a first layer of paint) The sky still needs the rays coming through to give indication of why the road has a strong reflection of light bouncing off it in specific places and strong shadow in other, and I still need to figure out how to make the snow look like snow it currently looks like some funky river.
    (the paint was to wet for me to make the rays)

Also i'm going to fix up the rhodes perspective, oi,

What do you think? Oh also, my teacher is concerned with teaching brush stroke not composition. It's a cheap public college, what can I say, i'm squeezing out what I can while preparing to go some were else.

Edit: sooo much to doo so busy :<

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    What do you think? Oh also, my teacher is concerned with teacher brush stroke not composition.

Than your teacher is incompetent. Brushwork comes with practice and confidence but composition has to be studied and researched. That's one of the biggest reasons why we study the masters because they are the forrunners of the most important principles professional artist learn today. If your teacher is more considered about pretty brush strokes, and isn't going over the necessities of creating something of worth on a macro level, then you either need to ring that info out of her or hit up google.

As for your current painting, copy this over it onto photoshop and set the layer to multiply and then use it as a guide when ur working out the perspective.

IMG_0950.jpg

I have this as a brush and I aint got no shame! Shit helps.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks, I do agree that he is somewhat incompetent, but it's also my fault for not teaching myself and researching more on composition to, I was studying how to measure things, and make things look proper and I just fell into this whole thing of actually being able to make things so fast that all of a sudden stuff stopped being "this house is crooked, do you see how it should be applied" and now it just started turning into "<name> Start thinking about composition"

I will remember that and over this summer I will be using photoshop to not only study how to work the tablet, but also how to apply proper compositions while in the mean-time in school I will constantly be studying Perspective, Measurement, and value.

Is there anything I'm missing that I should also be studying Mykonos? I narrowed down what I was doing/studying in the past because I had to get the damn things to actually look right in the first place.

edit: oh yes and I constantly focus on the color theory when possible such as how I applied a violet/red tint to the trunks while using Thalo blue/green to the leafs and ect. and the yellow, rawr

edit: Do you like the figure 8 composition I applied to the heads btw? While I may not have been taught it, I am still trying to think of compositon as I work.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    right now i'm going through the 'structure of a man' dvd set, which teaches you how draw a male figure from any angle or pose without the use of reference by litterally changing the way your mind interprets things. It points out all the ratios of the human figure and how everything is related to one another - its great. It's probably the best 50 dollars I [never] spent. If you go digital get yourself an imagine fx subscription. Tons of good stuff to be had, not just how to work digitally, but also subtly directs you on what you need to study in order get better. yes, stay on top of color theory, personally I think the process is a bitch because there are an infinite amount of scenerios you can render when it comes to lighting and color, and you really have to be able to grasp it in order to not become a slave to reference. Perspective, with emphasis on two or three point. I wouldn't worry so much about four point, at least not now anyways.
    With figures try studying photographs and discover your own patterns and measurements. Find super dynamic poses and see how everything is positioned for the sake of balance. Keep doing gestures, ur pretty good with those, and you should build on it. Make sure your on top of values, contrast (all key partsof composition as well). Greyscale photographs are great reference tools for these. Also study the masters, and by study i mean pull it up into photoshop and start referencing on a blank canvas.

You'll get there eventually. You have the upper hand going to school because of the competiveness atmosphere and the vast amount of resources at hand, just remember its up to you to make the most of it because just going by itself won't garrentee you anything, you have to take the initiative on your own at times.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks, I'm fairly un-sure of what i'm doing but yah, if I want to keep improving at a steady rate then there's a slight chance i'll be going to have to make a few more sacrifices and travel a bit. oi oi, i sometimes wish there was a "freeze existing" button. Thanks though I'll be having a few more sessions in class with the model and i'll start updating again.

edit:also I can't take credit for the gestures, if godfather didn't step in and notify me what was wrong with the gestures, I would have never been self educated enough to understand what I had to ask for and what to learn. So honestly people a lot of my improvement has been from EVERYONEEEEEEEEE

This includes everything I have attempted to pull from watching the teachers at work and listening to all of your great advice.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hey look, I'm updating stuff.

IMG_0998.jpg

Sorry the top left edge is a little blurry because the camera shook a tad, I'll probably be done with 6 of the heads by the end of today if anyone wants another update then.

edit: there that should help ugh what the hell camera, what the hell. oh whatever.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    *2 hours and a half later*

IMG_1000.jpg

I've been working on the shading now for 4-5 hours ish, And my shoulders hurt, waaaaaah i'm a little bitch that can't handle a little constant shading, I'll be working again on this in a few hours.

I do not understand wtf is with my camera butchering the top left heads eye.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DURRRRRR

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh look.. I'm shamelessly double posting to remove page two.... It's as if the page never existed now
    IMG_1009.jpg

4 heads to go. I'll finish this tomorrow.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey man, i'm starting to see some improvement.

Keep up the good work.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yay

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I pooped out a drawing

IMG_1018.jpg

I will never understand why the camera hates the top left corner so much.

(my personal favorite is the bottom right one since its how i act like 70% of the time)

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The one on the very bottom looks sooo evil.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There are some eye placements that are a bit off, but this is nice loom, well done.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks, i'm not sure why the angry face looks odd on the camera on the bottom left after I shaded, it looked fine before it and it looks fine in person. so confusing

edit: maybe it looks like that on camera since the paper itself seems to be bending when i had to make it such a long shot (its a big paper)

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    my teacher is ridunkulous, 2 hours to do 2 models

IMG_1021.jpg

yay

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    DesireXHelmetDesireXHelmet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Those heads are awesome

DesireXHelmet on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    thanks! I finished up the painting, it was relatively fast and painless. The project was to show brush stroke or be "impressionistic"

IMG_1028.jpg

(its 20X24)

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hey I doodled myself using photoshop

Heyitsme.jpg

wow, I can draw figures, weird.

edit: oops I forgot the other hand.

I should color it

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    these 10 minute doodles are sooooo much fun

itsme2.jpg

But yah, i'm slowing down a lot lately in drawing, I'm going to be taking a month off from studying (Which means like 2 weeks probably) in a few days, then i'll start doodling over the summer with composition and throw in a bajillion things of these drawings in a post or something

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Woah woah
    all those heads
    those are you, aren`t they

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    maybe

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    k no more drawing for a while, this was the last thing I did it was a 40 minute thing, I drew the model from his back and then I re-drew him in a different made up poisition.

IMG_1039.jpg

Now i'm going to sleep. for a very long time

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    yogurtyogurt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ever try drawing caricatures? Some of the line quality and funky proportions (no offense at all, this can be a good thing when used the right way am i right?) kind of suggest you might be good at it. By funky i more mean stylized, like the elongated arms and legs and so on. Keep it up I'm likin the stuff, especially the nature oil painting!

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks, while I "guess" using what I do terribly wrong to make something "right" could be a alternative, I much rather just get the figure right rather then try to patch up whats wrong, I use to be much worst, long torsos and even tiny-er hands, I much rather just get the entire figure perfect first.

That was my first life drawing class, next semester i'm going to be in a nice place where I can obsessively study and gain great feedback in simplifying the form more.

edit: (Also I would say i'm getting much more accurate in my more recent stuff in proportions in limbs except that shitty charcoal drawing with the 2 models, even though the guy in that was actually 7 feet tall zzzz I made his arms so skinnnyyy)

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    yogurtyogurt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That is true, I didnt realize it was your first drawing class. Some great stuff to study for anatomy would be http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1 , entire Loomis books online for free, doesnt get any better then that. Try practicing from "Figure Drawing for All its Worth". Also, looking at your charcoal drawings I'm not really noticing any interior skeleton guides that are usually helpful for mapping out the figure before you add muscling and bulk.
    024.JPG
    Try starting out with a simple 'wire skeleton' before building upon it.

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's usually how I simplify a figure and think of what i'm doing with it before I began adding any form of detail to it, But my main issue is just keeping it proper size, thanks though I always love image reference, godfather was actually the person who helped me in the first place figure out the basics of a human composition but i'll probably be looking over what you just sent me in a few days.

edit: It's very easy to do something standing, in proper proportion, i'm going to be practicing with movement soon

also that gives me a great view on how to approach weight

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh god, I shouldn't be studying but I am, I'll be posting up the results in later today, Theres to much to ignore I've already looked over his style of drawing muscle and found a nicer way to simplify a leg, god damn it.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So much for my break, now that i understand how to draw the figure enough I can actually use it to learn how to give it dynamic movement by looking over the center point of gravity and this Loomis thing is going to help me put it all together in the next few weeks.

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

I'm not going to post everything and not going to post nearly as much as I posted in my other thread but i'll be definitely studying all angles of pivots.

Once I finish studying that i'll be taking it into composoition and applying thumbnail sketches and apply it to photoshop, I never would use photoshop to actually study though.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    sooo lazyyy

"oh hello loomdun, what did you do in the past 5 days? STUDYING I'M SURE" actually.. I just played games, and my brain hurts.

photoshop is the funnest, I'm so happy you guys told me about that student edition thing otherwise I would not have it. Also I would like to thank mully/chicoblue for that Isketch session thingy which pushed me to the point of getting one those tablets.

Oh right, heres a 5 minute doodle with photoshop I'm going to wait till my brain is done fizzling before I start on my next unholy surge of study which will involve composition and quite possibly things OUTSIDE of pure study unlike all my other work.

nyaou.jpg

sooo excited

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Guess who was playing with random brushes today now that some nice person in tutorial showed me how to find them.

Guess who has a new avatar

dawwww-1.jpg

funnest 30 minutes ever

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, that fits you.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    thought you ladies and gents might find this neat, I can draw the face now a bit more accurately and faster

IMG_1086.jpg

I didn't even need to erase!

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the tops of those ears are pretty high and the eyes are large.

FU8513lg.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oh your right, i'll just draw another one in the near future

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Still looking better though, Loom.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    thank you!

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So, about 2-3 weeks of studying cloth, and now heres something I did made out of imagination based upon now how I know cloth works

cloth.jpg

yessssssssssssss

it took me about 25 minutes to do something so simple, but i'm pretty sure the cloth is a lot more accurate now that I have been studying it. This is my first attempt being fresh from the studies, still have 2 summing it all up pages to go.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    apparently you've been studying how zombies hold guns too.

Metalbourne on