As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I don't want to discuss it, because lol spoilers, but I read Scott Pilgrim vol1 today and feel that it and Haruhi are pretty much the same. One told if a Canadian made something, and one told if a Japanese made something.

You have convinced me to give this a chance.

NeoToma on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    haha syke

series spoilers for both? well i only know vol 1 of scott and season 1 of haruhi anime
    both start out as normal romance whatevers, then turn out to have dimensional travel and uber battles and what have you. and deadpan reactions to all of it

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you're only watching season 1, then broadcast order makes the most sense. The reason for that is the arcs that were first animated didn't have a thematic or emotional climax at the end of the season when viewed chronologically, instead it happens less than halfway in and can feel like it lost steam and is now meandering.

However, with the new arcs being animated, chronological order makes for the most satisfying viewing. For those that are aware of the events in the later volumes that will now be animated, the whole series will now have a very satisfying climax at the end, and thus is best viewed chronologically.

I am really, really looking forward to the last two episodes myself.

Falx on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Letting me know there's a climax near the end has ruined the series for me, Falx. I hope you're happy. :x

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The more I think about it, the more I feel the end of this arc in Naruto actually makes a LOT of sense thematically, and was actually really appropriate to the story being told. I really don't feel it deserves as much hate as it's getting.
    Essentially, Naruto, Sasuke, and Pain are three sides of the same coin. They've all experienced and seen much suffering, the current way of the world has taken it's toll on all of them. Sasuke chose to continue the cycle, following death with more death...and it's leading him nowhere. He may get his revenge but he won't really CHANGE anything. Pain sought to break the cycle through domination...but all he really did is contribute to it. Naruto though, unlike Sasuke, experienced pain and chose not to give in. He didn't let his anger and his sadness rule him, and has chosen the one path that breaks the circle of death, the one path that may bring peace. I feel that Nagato's final act, and the return of the fallen in Konoha, symbolizes the breaking of the cycle. Sasuke's way, and Nagato's way, only leads to death. Naruto's way leads to life.

That's how I see it, anyway.

LockedOnTarget on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Damn it, Funi, hurry up and give me the next god damn One Piece boxset already so I can watch more.

LockedOnTarget on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Letting me know there's a climax near the end has ruined the series for me, Falx. I hope you're happy. :x

Oh, PikaPuff, you're worse tha-...

Wait a second...

Falx on
    edited May 2009
    Falx wrote: »

Oh, PikaPuff, you're worse tha-...

Wait a second...
    I don't know where you're getting the comparison from.

All my climaxes are near the start

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shin Mazinger #8: lol even Sayaka is more badass than Kouji. Pygman and the guy with the sombrero who just showed up this episode are already cooler than him. I mean I really like the series, but it's like everyone is an off-the-wall badass except for the actual main character.

bisondollars on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OK, now that I think about it, "Japanese Scott Pilgrim" is pretty much the perfect way to describe Haruhi.

Fencingsax on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So K-on 9 was freaking adorable. I rather like the new addition.

eden of the east
    I'm kinda annoyed they just wrote the Johnny Hunter thing off as a coincidence. I don't know, I guess it's ok for the folks that are in the room, but it is pretty improbable. I kinda hope it is one of the other Selecao are screwing with Takizawa, because otherwise it's not terribly great writing. Though I'm not sure to what ends they'd be doing it, but screwing up other folks plans and making them spend money and possibly kill each other would be pretty decent reasons.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    OK, now that I think about it, "Japanese Scott Pilgrim" is pretty much the perfect way to describe Haruhi.

What? How?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mostly a semi-real world setting, with weird stuff going on that people just accept

also video game references

I see where he's coming from

though personally I think Scott Pilgrim has a lot more depth to it

Centipede Damascus on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Good lord, is Haruhi a jerk.

Jerk with a heart of gold.

Kyon's the tsundere.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, I had no idea Cross Game was going to be 51 episodes long. At least that's what MAL is saying, anyone know if it's correct?

bisondollars on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, I had no idea Cross Game was going to be 51 episodes long. At least that's what MAL is saying, anyone know if it's correct?

The manga is at about 150 chapters and counting, so I think 50 episodes or so is a safe bet. I've heard the 51 episode thing elsewhere too, but damned if I can remember where.

Slicer on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyone else having problems viewing Episode 8 of FMA on Funimation's site?

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I can't get it to play.

The other episodes work fine for me though.

Slicer on
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am surprised I actually liked it, but Ouran Host Club is a rather fun show. Funimation has the entire series to watch for free on their website, and they posted it on YouTube, too. I busted a gut when Haruhi's father first shows up since so much suddenly fell into place.

Also, I haven't pimped 'Flag' for a while. Maybe I am getting older and jaded, but something more realistically set is a nice change of pace. It centers on war journalists in a fictional semi-Afghanistan-like country that is on the brink of signing peace treaties while at the same time it's peace is held together by thin threads. The entire story is delivered through camera lens, too. It's different, mature, has no angsty teenagers and has one of my favorite endings in anime.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What? How?
    In the whole "People treat the surreal as normal" kind of way. It just uses Japanese tropes instead of American ones. It's not perfect to fit the characters, obviously, but the setting kinda fits.

Fencingsax on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    I am surprised I actually liked it, but Ouran Host Club is a rather fun show. Funimation has the entire series to watch for free on their website, and they posted it on YouTube, too. I busted a gut when Haruhi's father first shows up since so much suddenly fell into place.

Also, I haven't pimped 'Flag' for a while. Maybe I am getting older and jaded, but something more realistically set is a nice change of pace. It centers on war journalists in a fictional semi-Afghanistan-like country that is on the brink of signing peace treaties while at the same time it's peace is held together by thin threads. The entire story is delivered through camera lens, too. It's different, mature, has no angsty teenagers and has one of my favorite endings in anime.

The manga reveals her father pretty early on. It really does explain alot though. Makes you wonder what her mother was like.

I like Ouran but I started reading My Heavenly Hockey Club first and since the casts are practically identical I figured I'd give priority to the funnier one(Hockey club in case you're wondering).

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DHS wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Moe fight!
    Mio.gif
    Bring it.
    moe-image1.jpg
    Counter Attack: Box Of Moe!
    2hzh69x.jpg

AniMOEted.

MOEcross Attack!
    kyun.jpg
    55efc26ad05633bdaa91b4340a822253.jpg

Chrono Helix on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Late to the party, but how regarding Bleach:
    Let us all take a moment of silence for Halibel.

The hot chick is gone you guys. It's now a total sausage fest.

Godfather on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Late to the party, but how regarding Bleach:
    Let us all take a moment of silence for Halibel.

The hot chick is gone you guys. It's now a total sausage fest.
    I liked her better with the Toothy mask.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I figured I'd give priority to the funnier one(Hockey club in case you're wondering).

This is impossible.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I figured I'd give priority to the funnier one(Hockey club in case you're wondering).

This is impossible.

Listen just read volume one. I assure you my claim is accurate.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hrm...One Piece isn't on Hulu or Funimation.com anymore...

Hexmage-PA on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Funmation probably caught hell for letting the simulcast get leaked.

Their statement about it.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Goddamit.

Thetheroo on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DHS wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Moe fight!
    Mio.gif
    Bring it.
    moe-image1.jpg
    Counter Attack: Box Of Moe!
    2hzh69x.jpg

AniMOEted.

MOEcross Attack!
    kyun.jpg
    55efc26ad05633bdaa91b4340a822253.jpg
    Man, forget you all. THIS is the ultimate MOEcross attack.
    3rkh.gifKIRA~☆

Wow, whoever was responsible for that's going to earn the hatred of the collective One Piece internet community.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    I think the fact that the Japanese also caught it early is why Funimation had to pull everything.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd almost be willing to bet money that the "hacker" only changed the URL that was somewhere in the stream page and it served him the stream. Strict security standards my ass...

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited May 2009
    You know, it's god damned hilarious that it was episode 403 that they were going to air.

redx on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you're only watching season 1, then broadcast order makes the most sense. The reason for that is the arcs that were first animated didn't have a thematic or emotional climax at the end of the season when viewed chronologically, instead it happens less than halfway in and can feel like it lost steam and is now meandering.

However, with the new arcs being animated, chronological order makes for the most satisfying viewing. For those that are aware of the events in the later volumes that will now be animated, the whole series will now have a very satisfying climax at the end, and thus is best viewed chronologically.

I am really, really looking forward to the last two episodes myself.

Was the out of order broadcast thought up by the studio, or by the network?

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited May 2009
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Was the out of order broadcast thought up by the studio, or by the network?
    Studio since it was done for A) dramatic effect B) Light Novel order. B is why S2 is being run alongside S1.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The first episode (broadcast order) is great. Simply amazing.

Anyway, I think broadcast order makes more narrative sense.

The first episode according to broadcast order (the movie they made) I have a grudge against, because most people I recommended the series to saw it and didn't get it. That episode only works if you're familiar with the series already. I had a hell of a time convincing people it was something of a fluke.

That said, I myself found it hilarious, but mostly because I took film classes in highschool and it was not unlike the shit from those years.

Henroid on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    NeoToma wrote: »
    I don't want to discuss it, because lol spoilers, but I read Scott Pilgrim vol1 today and feel that it and Haruhi are pretty much the same. One told if a Canadian made something, and one told if a Japanese made something.

You have convinced me to give this a chance.

Haruhi and Scott Pilgrim are nothing alike, what the fuck.

Both are still great but for different reasons.

Henroid on
    edited May 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    That said, I myself found it hilarious, but mostly because I took film classes in highschool and it was not unlike the shit from those years.

Ditto. It honestly took me a few minutes to remember things like continuity errors don't really happen by accident so much when someone is drawing every frame.

I didn't actually take any film classes. I just hung out there a lot when I skipped other classes.

redx on
    edited May 2009
    redx wrote: »
    You know, it's god damned hilarious that it was episode 403 that they were going to air.

Does is involve pirates?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited May 2009
    redx wrote: »

Does is involve pirates?

The OP episode they were going to simulcast that some hacker got access to early was episode 403. I assume it had pirates in it.

redx on