As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

1565758596062»

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Episode Zero is amazing and works in two ways.

1. Watch it, go what the fuck, continue with the series, watch it again and notice how amazing it is. It's ALL RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOU.

2. Have prior knowledge and know how awesome the episode is.

I had 1 happen to me. Amazing.

I'd definately say that watching Season one (and at this point, might as well watch two) and then reading the book(s) is a good way to go about it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    The first episode according to broadcast order (the movie they made) I have a grudge against, because most people I recommended the series to saw it and didn't get it.

Well, that's their problem for being such failures.
    That episode only works if you're familiar with the series already.

Completely untrue. I didn't know anything about the series when I first saw it, and I thought it was amazing and hilarious. The zany humor works just fine without any background. And the foreshadowing it does makes the rest of the series better. And if you watch it and don't get it, then again you just fail at life. I figured everything out the first time I saw it.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The first episode according to broadcast order (the movie they made) I have a grudge against, because most people I recommended the series to saw it and didn't get it.

Completely untrue. I didn't know anything about the series when I first saw it, and I thought it was amazing and hilarious. The zany humor works just fine without any background. And the foreshadowing it does makes the rest of the series better. And if you watch it and don't get it, then again you just fail at life. I figured everything out the first time I saw it.

You're free to have your opinion. No matter what, I will always classify that episode as misleading in contrast to the rest of the series.

Henroid on
    edited May 2009

You're free to have your opinion. No matter what, I will always classify that episode as misleading in contrast to the rest of the series.

It tells you the entire plot of the series. That is the opposite of misleading.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Am I the only person who didn't have a pants-shitting epiphany from watching the show in the 'correct' order?

I mean, I had that confusion (along with everyone else) at the crappy movie, and by the next episodes, I'd figured out "Oh, okay, they all become good buddies and make a movie together. No biggie."

Then they show the episode where they're screening the movie.

And....that's it.

I suddenly feel like I missed some sort of glorious experience. And I really enjoyed The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya! it just feels like it passed me over. Maybe I need to watch it more than once..

Synthesis on
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Am I the only person who didn't have a pants-shitting epiphany from watching the show in the 'correct' order?

I mean, I had that confusion (along with everyone else) at the crappy movie, and by the next episodes, I'd figured out "Oh, okay, they all become good buddies and make a movie together. No biggie."

And....that's it..

That point of the movie is that the made up stuff in it, is actually true.

EDIT: And thus the movie episode is only really interesting as the first episode, because otherwise it's just one more crazy thing they do like the baseball episode.

HamHamJ on
    edited May 2009

And....that's it..

That point of the movie is that the made up stuff in it, is actually true.

I suppose by a sort of stretch, yes, it is true: they're all a bunch of weirdos behind their otherwise 'normal' appearances. I mean, Asahina and Nagato do have some sort of rivalry, I suppose (?), but they're not locked in a magical duel with one another. Asahina can't shoot beams of energy out of her eyes (unless I missed an episode?), Yuki isn't actually a witch. Tsuruya doesn't actually betray Asahina.

I'm going to go ahead and admit that maybe I am just totally blind to the deeper meaning behind the show. Yes, the movie does hint "These people are more then they seem!", but that does feel like it could have been pretty easily met without any of the major plot points.

I mean, perhaps if the movie had alluded to Haruhi's unique circumstances...or maybe I'm just a dense, non-subtle idiot when it comes to this. I might have just watched the show to be entertained, which I was. I guess it was just a gigantic inside joke onto all the other unsuspecting characters in the show--i.e. Kyon's two friends and the Computer Club president?

TL;DR--I'm dense, so the show order really made no substantial difference (other than don't watch the first episode last and vice versa).

Synthesis on
    edited May 2009
    I suppose by a sort of stretch, yes, it is true: they're all a bunch of weirdos behind their otherwise 'normal' appearances. I mean, Asahina and Nagato do have some sort of rivalry, I suppose (?), but they're not locked in a magical duel with one another. Asahina can't shoot beams of energy out of her eyes (unless I missed an episode?), Yuki isn't actually a witch. Tsuruya doesn't actually betray Asahina.

But Asahina is from the future, and Yuki is an alien (and she does cast spells, kind of), and Itsuki really does have psychic powers. All of which are mentioned in the movie.

Also, Kyon's narration sells the whole thing.

HamHamJ on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Out of order story telling helps drive a punch or point more strongly. That or it makes the story more entertaining. It worked for Pulp Fiction and it worked for Haruhi.

Henroid on
    edited May 2009
    'm going to go ahead and admit that maybe I am just totally blind to the deeper meaning behind the show.

There isn't really a deeper meaning.
    Yes, the movie does hint "These people are more then they seem!", but that does feel like it could have been pretty easily met without any of the major plot points.

The point is it creates an expectation: "These are ordinary kids are making a magical girl home movie, and the show is another normal slice of life anime." and does something unique and interesting (having the whole episode be only what is "shot" as part of the movie, ie it cuts away whenever the camera is turned off and there are no scenes from any other point of views, so it's doing this whole thing with multiple layers of ficiton; it also does some interesting things with characterization, in that the two main characters in the show are never one screen in the first episode (except maybe Haruhi at the end, I don't quite remember) but are most certainly present in it) and does some pretty funny things along the way (the various horrible editing jokes, and Kyon's narration) and then it subverts the original point by showing you a brief glimpse of actual super-natural power being used at the very end, which causes you to suddenly reevaluate the whole episode and sets up the whole rest of the series.

HamHamJ on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The cat, holy shit the cat.

The cat is awesome.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HARUHI IS THE DIRECTOR, SCRIPT WRITER, AND PRODUCER

find the hidden meaning in that

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited May 2009

But Asahina is from the future, and Yuki is an alien (and she does cast spells, kind of), and Itsuki really does have psychic powers. All of which are mentioned in the movie.

Also, Kyon's narration sells the whole thing.

I must have forgotten that. I've seen the Episode Zero twice, but it's been a long time. In my defense, Kyon says a lot of things. A lot of things.

Really, the thing that stuck out to be the most about the whole thing, without a doubt, was the cat. It goes without saying why. I guess the fact that Kyon says a huge amount of things, and ultimately, half of them turn out to be relevant (and the other half...totally irrelevant) is what made me brush it off. I mean, I still liked the show.
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    HARUHI IS THE DIRECTOR, SCRIPT WRITER, AND PRODUCER

find the hidden meaning in that

Haruhi is a control freak who demands everything be her way. That was what I took from that. :mrgreen: I honestly thought she was going to be worse than she was. "Ah, she's the nervous breakdown in command. Got it."

Synthesis on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Who wants to do the honours this time round guys?

Kelor on
    edited May 2009
    Well, I do appreciate having the epiphany I rather catastrophically missed pointed out--next time I rewatch the whole series, I will have to keep that in mind.

Synthesis on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Who wants to do the honours this time round guys?
    I'm game.

So I would just Quote the OP or is there anything else I have to do?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Make sure to post a lengthy section about One Piece in it Riptor, so new people won't be surprised that we're all gay for the Piece.

Godfather on
    edited May 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Make sure to post a lengthy section about One Piece in it Riptor, so new people won't be surprised that we're all gay for the Piece.

Indeed. I intended to make the title Anime thread: Sogeking; urban legend or dangerous vigilante?

King Riptor on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can I add that to my Facebook?

Interested in:
    [ ] Men
    [ ] Women
    [ ] Stretchy Pirates

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited May 2009
    Can I add that to my Facebook?

Interested in:
    [ ] Men
    [ ] Women
    [ ] Stretchy Pirates

Personally I'm only interested in that fetching lass from this weeks cover story. She seemed so familair.

King Riptor on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

Indeed. I intended to make the title Anime thread: Sogeking; urban legend or dangerous vigilante?

Make it so!

Godfather on
    edited May 2009
    All set. Just waiting for the lock.

King Riptor on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    elks is online. You can just PM him and start the new thread.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • MidnightSGMidnightSG Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    long time lurker, a question for the locals. :oops:
    I read the op and saw a lot of suggestions but i just have a quick question. I am looking for a great romance anime to get in to, but sadly when you search under romance you get disgustingly sick sappy romance... I think the last anime i got in was chrono crusade and before that CCSakura and the clamp spin off. What do you suggest for a romance that will not make me roll my eyes more that 12 times an ep.

MidnightSG on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    toradora

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited May 2009
    MidnightSG wrote: »
    long time lurker, a question for the locals. :oops:
    I read the op and saw a lot of suggestions but i just have a quick question. I am looking for a great romance anime to get in to, but sadly when you search under romance you get disgustingly sick sappy romance... I think the last anime i got in was chrono crusade and before that CCSakura and the clamp spin off. What do you suggest for a romance that will not make me roll my eyes more that 12 times an ep.

REC
    Romeo x Juliet
    Busou Renkin
    Inukami

HamHamJ on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Futakoi Alternative. Don't be fooled by the first episode though!

setrajonas on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    toradora

Falx on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EDIT: Wooops did NOT see the new thread. Sorry sorry.

Greeper on