As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy XIV - Square Enix's new MMO

nevilleneville The Worst Gay(Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Social Entropy++
sony-e309-keynote-1066-rm-eng.jpg

This thread is to talk about Square-Enix's new Massively Multiplayer Online game, known previously by its codename: Rapture.
It has now been revealed to be Final Fantasy XIV (14) Online, to come out next year for PS3.

Tech demo photousing the new graphics engine, called Crystal Tools:
Rapture.jpg

Actual game shot from E3:
sony-e309-keynote-1062-rm-eng.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Crunshii/shedding-light-to-rapture-se-mmo-sequel-to-ff11-94430.phtml

We will be making a guild at some point!
So let us chat about this exciting new game by the best RPG makers around!

nevillexmassig1.png
neville on

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hey remember when square made good games

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    it's uh

it's ivalice

those are fucking ff12 screens

Meissnerd on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh hey it looks

just

FFXI

Sars_Boy on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    day fucking one

The Sneak! on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited June 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    oh hey it looks

just

FFXI

If you actually read the articles, you'd see those are just shots made with the graphics engine.
    Way to fail.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited June 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited June 2009
    way to fail what

it still looks like fucking FFXI

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2009
    Also those look similar to the FMV from FFXI, yes.
    However those are screens which can be rendered in game in real time.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited June 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited June 2009
    I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this one, but I hope that they make this game very group focused, like Final Fantasy XI. There needs to be a way for all four hundred dark knights LFG to solo while waiting three days to finally land in a PT though.

The Sneak! on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If it comes out before I leave the US and has a free month trial or something I'll give it a shot. Not gonna be doing much else.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm sure this will be good, because FFXI was such a great game

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited June 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited June 2009
    And please, Square-Enix, please do not go the mindless quest route that is all too common with MMOs these days. Keep the awesome story missions, leave questing trivial and separate.

The Sneak! on
    edited June 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this one, but I hope that they make this game very group focused, like Final Fantasy XI. There needs to be a way for all four hundred dark knights LFG to solo while waiting three days to finally land in a PT though.

I liked the grouping as well, they just need to fix a few things imo:

1. XP penalties based on groups need to be relaxed. They did help it some recently, but the whole "Okay we were all 19, but now someone dinged 20 so the group isn't viable anymore" stuff really made things a pain, especially if you were the guy close to level.

2. Travel time was soooo painful. Even logging out in the same location and knowing where to go AND having the items farmed/quests done/etc could still take 1-2 hours if everyone wasn't on top of their game. And that's with people playing irl who knew each other; pick up groups could be nightmares.

3. Inventory management. Man, no more gobbie bags. Just give us more room.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If I can play a Moogle, then I will buy the shit out this game.

Unless it sucks.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    none of those are rapture screens, sorry

the first is a tech demo and the others are fakes.

Xhero on
    edited June 2009
    And please, Square-Enix, please do not go the mindless quest route that is all too common with MMOs these days. Keep the awesome story missions, leave questing trivial and separate.

Yeah. I liked how some quests were just "Ok thanks, here's this" but others had video and some quests referenced others, etc. Star Onion Brigade! :P

Xhero, I never said they were.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited June 2009
    Xhero wrote: »
    none of those are rapture screens, sorry

the first is a tech demo and the others are fakes.
    hahahaha
    in summary: we know they're making another MMO and it has a codename
    DISCUSS

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited June 2009
    neville wrote: »

I liked the grouping as well, they just need to fix a few things imo:

1. XP penalties based on groups need to be relaxed. They did help it some recently, but the whole "Okay we were all 19, but now someone dinged 20 so the group isn't viable anymore" stuff really made things a pain, especially if you were the guy close to level.

2. Travel time was soooo painful. Even logging out in the same location and knowing where to go AND having the items farmed/quests done/etc could still take 1-2 hours if everyone wasn't on top of their game. And that's with people playing irl who knew each other; pick up groups could be nightmares.

3. Inventory management. Man, no more gobbie bags. Just give us more room.

1. Completely agree. All they would have to do is make the XP of the mob scale within reason for the specific level of every person in the group, and not destroy it because a mob cons VT instead of IT now for the guy that just dinged 20.

2. I liked the travel time a lot. It made it feel like a world, very similar to EverQuest. Maybe something similar to a hearthstone would work, or more swift modes of transportation, like increased air ships.

3. Yes, and while we're on the subject of inventory management, the entire UI needs an overhaul.

The Sneak! on
    edited June 2009
    neville, prince of deception, lord of the layer of nessus of the plane baator

Xhero on
    edited June 2009
    The UI was the main reason i didn't play FFXI

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2009
    honestly the only reason I clicked this thread was because I thought it would be about an MMO set in an underwater city where everyone reads Ayn Rand

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    honestly the only reason I clicked this thread was because I thought it would be about an MMO set in an underwater city where everyone reads Ayn Rand

Hisssssssssss

No Ayn Rand! NO! BAD!

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They actually did a fantastic job of fixing all the major issues with FFXI, aside from different philosophies. It might be a case of 'too little, too late' however.

Level synching made groups so goddamn easy to find and made levelling much more harmless. They also added "field training" which is essentially "kill X number of Y monster" and gives you some extra xp and points you can spend on buffs and such. Regen/refresh scrolls and so forth.

It takes some work but by doing supplies quests you can gain the ability to warp to any outpost you've gone to for the purpose of easing travel times. You can now also raise your own chocobo that you can call anywhere you can normally ride a chocobo, instead of only in a town or teleport area.

Javen on
    edited June 2009

there would be no voluntary player organization, only the relationship between employee and employer, the commanded and the commander, vassal and lord...

atlas came.

Xhero on
    edited June 2009
    Has FFXI's population been plummeting, or something? 'Too little, too late' is a bold statement.

The Sneak! on
    edited June 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    They actually did a fantastic job of fixing all the major issues with FFXI, aside from different philosophies. It might be a case of 'too little, too late' however.

Level synching made groups so goddamn easy to find and made levelling much more harmless. They also added "field training" which is essentially "kill X number of Y monster" and gives you some extra xp and points you can spend on buffs and such. Regen/refresh scrolls and so forth.

It takes some work but by doing supplies quests you can gain the ability to warp to any outpost you've gone to for the purpose of easing travel times. You can now also raise your own chocobo that you can call anywhere you can normally ride a chocobo, instead of only in a town or teleport area.

Yeah, I liked some of that stuff, although it was happening shortly before I left.

The supply quest teleporting has been around for ages though (2.5 years?) and the chocobo raising at least a year and a half.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited June 2009
    Also I forget what they called it but they just recently did this thing where you can enchant weapons somehow? Like if you really want to keep that bronze subligar you can buff it up somehow so it's got jacked stats more appropriate with your level.

Javen on
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I'd also like to see them diversify the experience points you get from different enemies. Like, tougher monsters give more experience points so that maybe you might be willing to fight something other than crabs and caterpillars occasionally.

FFXI was still one of my favorite MMOs, though. I just don't have the time to sink into it anymore. Aren't you glad you didn't lend me your vermilion cloak now, Bri?

Defenestrator on
    edited June 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited June 2009
    And more mobs this time, please. I just fought goblins and worms in the last zone, I don't want to fight tougher versions of the same exact mobs in this one.

The Sneak! on
    edited June 2009
    A lot of the newer jobs are fucking retarded, though.

You see a scattered Corsair every now and again, but Scholars and Blue Mages and Puppeteers and whatever the fuck are all awful.

Javen on
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, Blue Mage was all kinds of fun. If I went back, I'd probably play that one some more.

Defenestrator on
    edited June 2009

You see a scattered Corsair every now and again, but Scholars and Blue Mages and Puppeteers and whatever the fuck are all awful.

Corsair was a really fun job.
    It was an odd combination to mix Rangers and Bards, but I had fun.

I'm curious to see how they address the economic problems all the Gil Farmers caused.
    They did an unbelievable amount of cracking down -- WAYYYYY more than Blizzard has done -- but after so long with huge economies, taking hundreds of billions of gil out of every server's economy made things pretty f'd up for a while.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited June 2009

if by awful you mean the best jobs in the game i agree

Xhero on
    edited June 2009

I'm curious to see how they address the economic problems all the Gil Farmers caused.
    They did an unbelievable amount of cracking down -- WAYYYYY more than Blizzard has done -- but after so long with huge economies, taking hundreds of billions of gil out of every server's economy made things pretty f'd up for a while.

It's evened out now. There are still some retarded expensive items that are probably traded around the same dozen people, but aside from short bouts of manageable inflation it's pretty easy to get what you need.

Javen on
    edited June 2009

It's evened out now. There are still some retarded expensive items that are probably traded around the same dozen people, but aside from short bouts of manageable inflation it's pretty easy to get what you need.

What about the population?

The Sneak! on
    edited June 2009

What about the population?

it's about the same as it's always been since the initial decline

Xhero on