As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How is that even food?

• DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm so glad I have a local Pizza place with, good, fresh slices that you can get whatever you like on, I haven't ordered from a franchise national chain in months.

Jimmy and Joe's. Best Slice I've ever had. Not the best Pizza, but the damn best slice.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DHS wrote: »
    I'm so glad I have a local Pizza place with, good, fresh slices that you can get whatever you like on, I haven't ordered from a franchise national chain in months.

Jimmy and Joe's. Best Slice I've ever had. Not the best Pizza, but the damn best slice.

How does that work? Does it stop being good after 1 slice?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

Maybe its the best pizza he can get ordered by the slice. Really nice pizza places (ie sit down ones) won't let you come in and order just one slice, since they make all pizzas fresh to order.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've always wanted to try balut. That and durian fruit.

I had some durian ice cream at a Thai place nearby. The waitress tried to advise me against it, but I insisted. It wasn't that bad, I ate all of it. It had a unique flavor that I can't remember, but I would certainly try it again. My (now ex) girlfriend refused to kiss me after that untill I brushed and rinsed with Listerine.
    Andrew Zimmern refuses to eat durian for what its worth.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I only discovered relatively recently that the particular smell I associate with Chinese supermarkets is actually durian. I always though it was the dried fish or something.

japan on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »

Maybe its the best pizza he can get ordered by the slice. Really nice pizza places (ie sit down ones) won't let you come in and order just one slice, since they make all pizzas fresh to order.

Oh I get it. The only pizza place I really go to is Zachary's in Berkeley. I'm sure you know it because it's the best pizza ever and you live there. They serve slice and whole.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

I had some durian ice cream at a Thai place nearby. The waitress tried to advise me against it, but I insisted. It wasn't that bad, I ate all of it. It had a unique flavor that I can't remember, but I would certainly try it again. My (now ex) girlfriend refused to kiss me after that untill I brushed and rinsed with Listerine.
    Andrew Zimmern refuses to eat durian for what its worth.

I bought a durian at 99 Ranch when I was in college. It tastes a lot like custard and looks like an alien's fetus. It starts out smelling like a mountain of the nastiest gym socks you could imagine and gets stronger and stronger as it thaws (they generally sell them frozen).

My housemates wanted my blood for that one, but it was worth it.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    japan wrote: »
    I only discovered relatively recently that the particular smell I associate with Chinese supermarkets is actually durian. I always though it was the dried fish or something.

Really? Typically durian (in toronto at least) comes in its spiky, frozen, unpeeled form so the smell is really not there. I hate durian, my mom loves it and occasionally peels one and freezes the chunks for later consumption. Smell and taste is yucky.

Underdog on
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You either love durian or you hate it - there's no middle ground with Durian.

South East Asians love durians, but those that don't, hate it. Those who like it, love the smell, taste, sweetness, and fluffiness of the fruit. And those who don't, hate all those basically.

Once you've eaten an actual unprocessed raw durian (not ice cream, not juice) and like it, you're hooked for life. If you don't like it, you'll also dislike the thing your entire life. :P

Most people who like durians also prefer the whole ones with the spiky shell since it keeps the smell and fermentation of the juices inside just right - unlike the frozen ones. Once you've tasted the shelled ones you opened yourself, the frozen ones just don't come close at all.

For those interested in trying out durian, it's better if you are the types of people who appreciate niche food like the nasty smelling cheese (limburger for one). It will taste alien since it doesn't smell nor taste like any fruit you've ever had so your best bet is to prepare eating durian like you're especting to eat natto, goat cheese, limburger, stilton, or marmite.
    Don't set your expectation to something like rambutan, lychee, peach, or any of those refreshing fruit.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »

Oh I get it. The only pizza place I really go to is Zachary's in Berkeley. I'm sure you know it because it's the best pizza ever and you live there. They serve slice and whole.

Yeah, that's what I meant. They take a slice from a pre-baked 24' Pizza "blank" and add your toppings and rebake, with makes the crust perfect and the cheese bubbly. Their whole pizzas aren't ever as good, still great though. Not as good as a Rosati's or Oregano's or BJ's.

The best Pizza I've ever had was in Chicago at a place called My Pi, I'm a huge fan of deep dish, but I am a supporter of Pizza in all it's forms.

Also, the alleged Best Pizza in America is in downtown Phoenix, though I have yet to go, Pizzeria Bianco. It looks great, but it's always busy and open for like seven minutes.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    The balut's just a duck. The pasta bowl is something unnatural and evil.

It should be noted, however, that most people clean and carve their ducks instead of devouring them whole.

Does it count if the duck hasn't been born yet? I mean, it hasn't eaten anything so it's not like it's full of poo and pee. Just rich nutrients and proteins.

And feathers. Little half-developed fetus feathers.

Cervetus on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Actually, if fetal ducks are anything like fetal humans, I know that the amniotic fluid in human pregnancies is usually something like one-quarter urine by the time the baby is born.

Nerdgasmic on
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Probably the best description of durian taste from a "foreigner":
    To me the texture of durian is like avocado, while the taste and smell is somewhat like a strong Camembert cheese, sweetened with honey. The Thai version could be equated to a young Camembert, while the Malaysian version is more comparable with a Camembert that has been stored for a long time, in a warm room and has consequently liquefied in it’s centre.
    Good durians are really sweet - sweeter than honey itself at times. Imagine eating a raw avocado-like fruit that tastes sweeter than honey itself.
    The problem is the smell - it's a really pungent smell that even nasty smelling cheese fans can be turned off from (or maybe perhaps turned on ?).
    I prefer the Malay version since it's so much sweeter than the Thai version but it also has a more pungent smell than the Thai's.
    However, since I've associated that pungent smell with the addictive sweetness of the durian, I don't really have any problem with it anymore.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, I nominate any jelly that isn't BAMA, and yellow corn.

Yellow corn was declared unsafe for human consumption and you fuckers still eat it.

Edith Upwards on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

Yellow corn was declared unsafe for human consumption and you fuckers still eat it.

Say what?

And Bama strawberry preserves are like little dollops of heaven on my biscuits.

Drake on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Say what?

He's just racist against yellow vegetables. You should hear his crazy rantings regarding baked squash - both entertaining and horrifying.

emnmnme on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That pizza reminds me of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPxOxfOLUyk

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I can't tell which one looks worse, the balut or the dominoes pasta bowl.

The pasta bowl.

The balut disturbs me on a deep, subconscious level that I don't think I could ever overcome. The Domino's bowl disturbs me on every level my mind has.
    Balut really creeps me out too, but I know a few people who enjoy eating it. Then again, as much as I like eggs, I've always been bothered by the fact that they should've grown up into chickens before I dumped them into a bowl and beat them.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mmm. Eggs. We are having Fried Egg Casserole tonight. I think it may have just come out of the oven. I'm drooling like one of Pavlov's dogs from hearing the oven door shut.

Drake on
    edited June 2009
    MadTv is usually unfunny, but it's at least also usually accurate.

Nerdgasmic on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

The pasta bowl.

The balut disturbs me on a deep, subconscious level that I don't think I could ever overcome. The Domino's bowl disturbs me on every level my mind has.
    Balut really creeps me out too, but I know a few people who enjoy eating it. Then again, as much as I like eggs, I've always been bothered by the fact that they should've grown up into chickens before I dumped them into a bowl and beat them.

Eggs aren't fertilized.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, they're basically chicken menses.

Robos A Go Go on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

Say what?

He's just racist against yellow vegetables. You should hear his crazy rantings regarding baked squash - both entertaining and horrifying.
    I think we know who the Green Lantern is...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I read most of this thread yesterday, and I just walked into the living room a second ago. What do I see my dad watching on TV? The travel channel, and they're doing a special on that fancy fancy burger joint with the triple bypass burgers and unfiltered cigarettes. Small world.

Fiatil on
  • E-RexE-Rex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Had to look this up.
    At least 63 sweet corn varieties were being offered by seed companies by 1899, most of which had a white endosperm. Yellow types were largely considered unfit for human consumption. In 1902 ‘Golden Bantam’ was released by the Burpee company. Golden Bantam had both excellent quality and wide adaptability, and rapidly dispelled the old prejudice against yellow corn. Yellow corn instead became the standard, and many of the popular white varieties were converted to yellow by crossing.

So, if this is what your talking about, it used to be true but that changed about 106 years ago . Most feed varieties are still yellow, which I guess is why the info persisted, and the corn we eat has a different pedigree that is mostly white corn.

Alternately you may be talking about something from The Omnivore's Dilemma or something I don't know.

E-Rex on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    MadTv is usually unfunny, but it's at least also usually accurate.

MadTV hasn't been funny since Will Sasso left. Still a better track record than SNL, which hasn't been funny in 14 years, Lonely Island stuff aside.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They used to say the same thing about tomatoes. And look how wrong that was.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

The pasta bowl.

Eggs aren't fertilized.
    Which is why I don't worry about ever cracking an egg open and having half a chick fall out. That still doesn't keep me from being vaguely bothered by thoughts of what the egg was supposed to be for.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited June 2009
    It was made on a farm, so it was made for eating.

Cervetus on
    edited June 2009
    What if you're easting the next Albert (au) Vinstein, or the next Martin Luther ala King?

Nerdgasmic on
    edited June 2009
    Martin Luther ala King is my new favorite name.

And I see you're going for an abortion joke, but it would be more like letting a woman menstruate into a sanitary napkin than aborting an embryo.

Cervetus on
    edited June 2009
    Well, I was more mocking his feelings on eating eggs with that argument against abortion.

I'm sorry to be mean like that, though.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited June 2009
    Being mean is... is mean!

Cervetus on
    edited June 2009
    I would like to say that your post goes very well with that avatar.

The strangest food or drink I've ever had was something called a Moose Nugget Mocha. It is not strange for its content or preparation-- it's just a normal coffee drink-- but for the fact that someone thought it would be a good idea to name something to be eaten after a term for moose feces.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited June 2009
    I see Cow Chips at every fair I go to. They're just bigass chocolate chip cookies.

Cervetus on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm going to try some surströmming this summer. Still remember the smell from my childhood.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The herring is caught in spring, when it is in prime condition and just about to spawn. The herring are fermented in barrels for one to two months, then tinned where the fermentation continues. Half a year to a year later, gases have built up sufficiently for the once cylindrical tins to bulge into a more rounded shape. These unusual containers of surströmming can be found in supermarkets all over Sweden.

[...]

These bacteria produce carbon dioxide and a number of compounds that account for the unique odor: pungent (propionic acid), rotten-egg (hydrogen sulfide), rancid-butter (butyric acid), and vinegary (acetic acid).[3]

RichardTauber on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I would like to say that your post goes very well with that avatar.

The strangest food or drink I've ever had was something called a Moose Nugget Mocha. It is not strange for its content or preparation-- it's just a normal coffee drink-- but for the fact that someone thought it would be a good idea to name something to be eaten after a term for moose feces.

Living in Alaska is an adventure in culinary gimmicks. You should see what we sell the tourists here in Juneau.

Silas Brown on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's a reason why Balut is sold here at night - so people won't see what they're eating.

I admit that it's pretty tasty, though.

Wearingglasses on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I honestly wonder if most of these "foods" were just accidentally eaten at first, then as to not look like an idiot the person pretended they'd done it on purpose.

"Dude, that egg has half a bird in it!"

"It...uh...yeah, I know it does, it's the newest thing..." *throws up*

"Did you just puke?"

"No, I...uh... I said "BALUT"... that's what they're called!"

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But what does it taste like?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!