As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fable 2: Sex, Children and Dogs.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    on another note, they had originally thought about letting you 'possess' your offspring when you die, so your character lives on. However, they just found everyone went around breeding like rabits, so they had a huge stack of 'extra lives'. As a result, the idea was cut.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The fact that I entertained the idea of the dog actually being interchangable with a different species/human sidekick makes the idea of riding around on them all the more hilarious...

Yeah. Your squire didn't pull his weight in that last battle? Slap a saddle on him. Your eight miles from camp.

Actually that's very close to camp.

*badum-tush*

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    XanathusXanathus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I for one think this sounds interesting. Think about the usual GUI indicators, health and mana.
    A dog could indicate these things without having any numbers on the screen by doing things like growling loudly while fighting and your health is still high (>75%), whimpering when low (<50%) and running away when you should be running away as well. I'm assuming that the dog will always try to be in front of your view. For mana, it could be indicated by how healthy the dog is: shiny coat with high mana and mangy when low.

Xanathus on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wavecutter wrote: »
    This thread seems sort of redundant. Do we really need a thread that merely rehashes the front page of PA?

1) This allows us to voice our opinions, rather than merely hearing gabe's or tycho's.

2) The news is funny.

3) We can make this thread a look back on Fable as well, if so desired. Looking back, I just remembered how tired I got of that waitress wife's quaint quasi-Polish accent. Pretty sure she got sacrificed.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I'm gonna have like 50 evil kids.

This game is gonna be awesome.

Graviija on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    wavecutter wrote: »
    This thread seems sort of redundant. Do we really need a thread that merely rehashes the front page of PA?

1) This allows us to voice our opinions, rather than merely hearing gabe's or tycho's.

2) The news is funny.

3) We can make this thread a look back on Fable as well, if so desired. Looking back, I just remembered how tired I got of that waitress wife's quaint quasi-Polish accent. Pretty sure she got sacrificed.

Oh... you are norty.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So is the dog going to be like that annoying fucking paperlcip guy in Word?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    Xanathus wrote: »
    I for one think this sounds interesting. Think about the usual GUI indicators, health and mana.
    A dog could indicate these things without having any numbers on the screen by doing things like growling loudly while fighting and your health is still high (>75%), whimpering when low (<50%) and running away when you should be running away as well. I'm assuming that the dog will always try to be in front of your view. For mana, it could be indicated by how healthy the dog is: shiny coat with high mana and mangy when low.

The thing is though, it's much more efficient to just show those things in the GUI. It's not as though Fable is a particularly involving game anyway. I mean, for Oblivion getting rid of the GUI might be cool, but Fable is quite arcadey.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Let me look at my dog to see if I'm dying!

There's some real life immesion for ya!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have a feeling that the No-UI will be revised before the game goes gold, which doesn't bother me as long as they keep the trihats, cloaks and the goddamn guns.

I also hope that the gameworld is a lot bigger this time around and that Lionhead fills it up with more sidequests. Fable was a damn fun game, it's just such a shame that it was so short and the gameworld so small.

Oh, and fuck the aging mechanism. I level too much and suddenly I look like I'm two breaths away from a cardiac arrest?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Once again, Peter Molyneux is talking about the treats and features before getting the core gameplay down. I wonder how many people he'll sucker this time?

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Once again, Peter Molyneux is talking about the treats and features before getting the core gameplay down. I wonder how many people he'll sucker this time?
    Probably...over 9000, or so?

Really though, if this game turns out to be an enhanced Fable (with the ability to have kids, which sounds oddly cool), I'll be ok with it. I actually quite liked Fable.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

how do you know this?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, to be fair Lionhead haven't touched on anything yet. There was a pre-rendered movie that did the rounds- showing the interactivity of scenery in a combat situation- but other than that there's been little show. For all I know the game is inches from completion and he likes screwing around.

And I'm really not going to be "suckered" by the (possible) presence of a GUI dog. As my early complaints showed, I'm more likely to be turned off by it, especially if it turns out to be really invasive and annoying.

I mean... has anyone here gone "wow, interface dog and I can impregnate peasants/myself! Fuck any other features, have my soul Molyneux!"?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Have they mentioned anything about story, combat system anything?

No they're talking about fucking dogs

Sorry I know this guy made greatgames in the past but I think he's a hack anymore. He drones on and on about features that never make it into the real game or outright lies about how a game is going to be. Fable felt like a game that had some great ideas but no real purpose. It was too small to be much of a sandbox game but the sandbox stuff took over and prevented it from being a decent RPG. They need to get thier priorities straight. Sorry a combat system that isn't crap is more important that your charatcer getting cool looking scars.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would like a combination of the two features mentioned, so that I may have dog children running around.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The whole thing about having a child of your own that emulates your actions kind of sounds like the expansion disc to the first Black and White, Creature Isle.

ZOMG! Peter Molyneux is cribbing from his own games!

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Have they mentioned anything about story, combat system anything?

No they're talking about fucking dogs

Sorry I know this guy made greatgames in the past but I think he's a hack anymore. He drones on and on about features that never make it into the real game or outright lies about how a game is going to be. Fable felt like a game that had some great ideas but no real purpose. It was too small to be much of a sandbox game but the sandbox stuff took over and prevented it from being a decent RPG. They need to get thier priorities straight. Sorry a combat system that isn't crap is more important that your charatcer getting cool looking scars.

so, the whole thing about "experimenting with ideas before building the game, to find out what works" and then "we're not talking about ideas until we know we're putting them in, to avoid upsetting everyone" counts for nothing, because we're going to assume they've been sat scratching their balls for the last few years, then gone "HOLY CRAP GUYS, GDC! Uhmmm... babies and dogs.. somebody make a game!"
    Give them a little more credit, please.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do I get a special ending if I get all the women in the game preggers?

Meiz on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    Do I get a special ending if I get all the women in the game preggers?

You can defeat the final boss with a kid rush.
    Kekeke ^__^

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wonder if there is a cap on how many children you can have. And from how many different women.

I smell an achievement.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    "Trailer Trash King"? "Your extended family is now such a weight on society's shoulders that the empire has bankrupted"?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    YOU IZ A PLAYA Achievement unlocked. 200 Gamerpoints!

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess searching for the village for the best welfare benefits beats carrying corn around to sell at a profit.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only thing good about the kids is that they emulate you but still...you play games to be a bad ass adventurer, why would you need kids? Kids are a liability for super villains to take out and get at you.

That's exactly what Molyneux is going to do. He wants to illicit a strong emotional response in the player by kidnapping YOUR CHILD. I think its a great idea, one of those "lets make games more emotional" fronts, but most people will write it off as stupid. Imagine coming home from a dungeon and your wife and kid are dead. Fucking dead. Like Gladiator.

baddman on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    baddman wrote: »
    The only thing good about the kids is that they emulate you but still...you play games to be a bad ass adventurer, why would you need kids? Kids are a liability for super villains to take out and get at you.

That's exactly what Molyneux is going to do. He wants to illicit a strong emotional response in the player by kidnapping YOUR CHILD. I think its a great idea, one of those "lets make games more emotional" fronts, but most people will write it off as stupid. Imagine coming home from a dungeon and your wife and kid are dead. Fucking dead. Like Gladiator.

murderous rampage ahoy!
    yes sir, i like it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Or it could end up like marriage in the first game and just be a neat little thing that you do once or twice before getting bored of it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Or it could end up like marriage in the first game and just be a neat little thing that you do once or twice before getting bored of it.

Just like in real life!

Jeez, I'm not even trying anymore.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Or after you have your child, you're wife nags you about your long hours, how you're never home anymore, and when you are, you're injured. So instead of living a life of constant nagging, you quit your job as a hero, and get a job as a tax collector.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »

Just like in real life!

No. If this was like real life, you would get married, have a few kids, and then start cheating on her.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Just like in real life!

No. If this was like real life, you would get married, have a few kids, and then start cheating on her.

Minus the having kids part, thats pretty spot on for the first Fable.

Anyways, Fable 2 will most likely be pretty good. But I am very wary on believing anything that comes out of his mouth. Molyneux himself has said he gets excited about a feature and will just blurt it out (or, I think I read that, somewhere).

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Just like in real life!

I for one plan to be cheating on her the whole time, kids or not.

Blakout on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I managed to steal some of Kotaku's article before it went down.

"But the big thing, one of the biggest parts of Fable 2, will be the introduction of a dog to the game. Not just any dog, but your dog. The dog will be faithful to you and will have a deeply nuanced artificial intelligence so you won't actually control your dog at all. Instead your dog will act as a sort of living HUD. The game has no map, no other user interface on screen. Instead you will have to rely on the dog and what he sees and does.

You also will control the dog by your own actions. A great example. You come upon two bad guys and pull our your gun (yes, the game has guns) and the dogs knows automatically attack the closer targets.

Molyneux showed us much more about this amazing dog character, but I'll have to dig into it later in another post. Keep in mind this feature is already 100 percent implemented, meaning it has to be in Fable 2, at least in some sense."

Brian later mentioned it worked rather well during what he was shown. But you have to remember that this was a closed door session. We have yet to see the formal reveal which will probably happen during the "innovations in fable 2" segment of GDC.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll be damned if I didn't have fun with Fable. I'm sure I will have a blast with Fable 2 as well. Alimony checks and all.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fable was great, the majority of the complaints about it were because of the features they cut. It's also the only game I know of that allows you to come home drunk every night and give your wife a new black eye. Fable 2 is expanding on this fascinating concept by including children to extend the abuse to. I'll be buying it.

Blakout on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blakout wrote: »
    Fable was great, the majority of the complaints about it were because of the features they cut. It's also the only game I know of that allows you to come home drunk every night and give your wife a new black eye. Fable 2 is expanding on this fascinating concept by including children to extend the abuse to. I'll be buying it.

I agree with this man completely. :D

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How much fun would it be to populate the game world with a legion of your bastard children? Y'know, sleep around in every town in the game. As you travel back to towns you are greeted by a horde of your very own. Then you take said horde and storm castles, pillage, etc. Sounds like a good concept for a movie...

baddman on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Sorry I know this guy made greatgames in the past but I think he's a hack anymore. He drones on and on about features that never make it into the real game or outright lies about how a game is going to be.

He lost some cred with me after, but Fable made up for it. I remember that asshole telling me that Black & White was gonna be amazingly good. Bull.

We need food! We need houses! We need civic buildings!

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This got me in the mood for playing some Lionhead games. I do have Black and White 2 unopened in my bookcase somewhere, is it worth playing if I'm looking for some strategy?

EDIT: I realized that the next game that Lionhead has to make after Fable 2 is B.C. That game had such a fun premisse it would be a damn shame to let it rot.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Woof woof!
    fable2chien01.jpg

Great, where the fuck is he going now?
    fable2chien05.jpg

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif