As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left4Dead:- Hunter hugs and Smoker tugs and Boomer bile that's filled with love

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Beating all 4 campaigns on expert took me around 8-10 hours.

you're crazy aeg.

Crazy valve apologist.

And I ran through all of TF2's stock maps in 5 minutes.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    To say something positive: I like the new way tempoary health is shown on the life bars. It's prettier than the very simple way it's shown in the first.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    To say something positive: I like the new way tempoary health is shown on the life bars. It's prettier than the very simple way it's shown in the first.

well that settles it, im shelling out the $50

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

you're crazy aeg.

Crazy valve apologist.

And I ran through all of TF2's stock maps in 5 minutes.

How little of them there were to begin with.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

you're crazy aeg.

Crazy valve apologist.

I took about 12 hours for all four (including restarts, etc)...but then I've played them all over again at least twice. So cooperative mode alone was more generous, on an hour to dollar level than most games.

Then you factor in the many, many games of Versus...

I think if you liked L4D, then you got your money's worth. If you didn't like it obviously you didn't, but that'd have been true of any $50 game no matter how much content it did or did not have or was or was not replayable.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

Not with bots I bet, which is how I did it originally.
    you're crazy aeg.

Crazy valve apologist.

No, not really. I got more than enough play out of the first game and if they want to change gameplay significantly (which they are in fact doing), even theme (which again, they are doing) a sequel is by far the better way of accomplishing that.
    Welp I must not like wasting my money as much as you.

Also flippy, costanza, and littleboots would beg to differ that they are bots.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hahahah, I just realised that that boxart probably shouldn't be used in the UK. :lol:

For those that don't know, the reverse V sign is basically similar to flipping the bird in the UK.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    this could all be accomplished with a mod and reskins :(

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Come on guys stop over dramatising this, this is a good thing
    A good 50$ I won't be spending and a good 50$ I want back for the first one, yeah.

My beef is not with you or anyone who disliked the first game

My beef is with people in here ive played with who i know have sunk untold hours into the game and are now claimaing they are being screwed

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I honestly don't know what to think now. My post earlier was reactionary and not fair, but I'm still not happy with what I've seen. The atmosphere of the game just seems completely off. It's daylight and we're hitting zombies in the head with a frying pan that sounds the way it does?

When I bought L4D I was honestly satisfied with what I received and I think what we got later on was just gravy, so I can't say I'm disappointed with that or feel ripped off because they're not giving us more free content. It's a completely different approach to Team Fortress 2, yes, but they're not obligated to take the same approach with every game they release. I think when you believe that you begin to move into the territory of self-entitlement.

It just seems way too soon and it looks too similiar. We'll see how they price it.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    L4D is nothing without Francis.

Seriously, though. What's the point of a flashlight if it's fucking daylight. Maybe this is like the sniper update and this is all a trick. Valve is crazy enough to do it right?

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    compared to the 15-20$ that I paid for tf2 and the content/play time

I'd say tf2 is worth roughly 50 l4ds.

I love l4d. It just hasn't been worth 50$ yet. And now they're making a SEQUEL.

This isn't tough to understand how fucked up this is, and I'm glad there are other rational people here.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Which is what confuses me, because as I liked the first game and spent a lot of time on it I don't feel I didn't get what I paid for. If I didn't like the first game and played it a lot, I wouldn't still be posting in this thread months later or still be playing the fucking thing.

Not to mention they did add to the first game the other 2 versus campaigns (albeit the argument they should have been there from the start is valid) and the survival mode. So it's not as if it was only 4 campaigns and 2 versus maps over its entire lifetime.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Veitsev wrote: »
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Veitsev wrote: »
    There are so many missed opportunities with choosing not to keep the same cast. Imagine the cool promos Valve could do. It could be like Zoey, Bill, Louis, and Francis go on vacation down to New Orleans or something. Imagine Bill dressed in a Hawaiian t-shirt or Zoey and Mardi Gras beads jokes. So much of the charm of L4D were the characters and I really don't like them making new ones.

Exactly. The series was so much better when its characters were created by Valve. But now that, for the sequel, it's Valve creating characters they're going to ruin all the good things that Valve did in the first one.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying if Valve creates something is automatically good because hey its Valve?

Knowing the attention to design and effort they put into it? Yes. I'm saying there's no reason for you to think these characters will be any less entertaining except for stubborn alliegance to an original instalment.

Also everyone seems to be acting like they had to sacrifice buying a car in order to muster up the $50 for L4D. It's one of the more replayable games I've encountered recently, and is cohesive and fun. WHATEVER.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Welp I must not like wasting my money as much as you.

I dunno, I don't feel I did and got more than enough play out of it.
    Also flippy, costanza, and littleboots would beg to differ that they are bots.

Huh? I never played with them at all. I am sure that if you asked these people they would tell you that they have never played L4D with me.

I played it through initially with bots, which is much harder than people but I liked the idea of achieving the expert campaigns by myself first than doing it with humans. It would have been much easier to do it with people.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you think you're getting ripped off now why did you pay the fifty dollars to begin with? There was no expectation that they would be adding an enormous amount of content. Did you honestly buy the game only because you thought they were going to add a whole other game's worth of content for free?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes, because you didn't get your $50 value out of it or something?

I'm confused here.

Yes. Those of us who bought it for $50 at launch bought it after Valve continued to tell us "We're Valve, we're going to support the shit out of this game", "Maps for Left 4 Dead are going to be easy for mapmakers to create", "All content updates will be synced with the 360" and "Don't worry brah, we're Valve and we'll get the two VS maps and SDK out in a timely manner. You know we're cool for it."

Six months later we finally get the two gutted VS maps, a rather half assed Survival mode complete with "new" maps ripped straight from your favorite campaigns, and we still don't have the SDK (I'm not counting the beta).

Now they want me to shell out $50 again for four new character skins, a new witch and tank model, and some new weapons that have Mouse1 melee instead of Mouse2? Yeah, I'm definitely out of my mind for being slightly miffed.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I read your sentence wrong my bad

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Okay, I'll go to the TF2 thread and whine that the 10 minutes I got out of it before I got bored was a waste of my money. I would say L4D was worth 100 TF2s easily.

There, let's go around and around the mulberry bush at your leisure on this now.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    If you think you're getting ripped off now why did you pay the fifty dollars to begin with? There was no expectation that they would be adding an enormous amount of content. Did you honestly buy the game only because you thought they were going to add a whole other game's worth of content for free?
    Yes I expected valve to be valve.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Simple solution, people who are pissed dont buy l4d2

Me, im buying it and i know ill sink another 600+ hours into the bastard

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    CugelCugel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But... but... this is a joke, right? RIGHT??

It would be entirely uncharacteristic of Valve to do this. Maybe we'll have a real announcement later? If not I'll just go sit in the corner and rock back and forth muttering confusedly.

Cugel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Okay, I'll go to the TF2 thread and whine that the 10 minutes I got out of it before I got bored was a waste of my money. I would say L4D was worth 100 TF2s easily.

There, let's go around and around the mulberry bush at your leisure on this now.
    I can't take people with irrational tastes into consideration sorry bro

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

They pretty much said they would be putting out more campaigns. So then I bought the game, expecting there to be more campaigns.

I am now slightly upset, yes.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Simple solution, people who are pissed dont buy l4d2

If you think common sense will be victorious here you are wrong.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

yes well theyre not releasing TF3 with reskinned classes from TF2 and new maps with a new lighting system and saying its worth $50 either

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I can't take people with irrational tastes into consideration sorry bro

Then how on earth do you take yourself seriously then?

Again, if you want it buy it. If you don't don't buy it.

It really is that simple!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No this is a ripoff I'm sorry you can't see that and are a shadow of a human being and probably terribly ugly

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is really weird. I'm all for more Left4Dead. But these characters don't seem as cool (Zoey was the weak link, but even she seems better realized than these 4 new people). The HD trailer I saw made it look cool. Than I saw gameplay of it on IGN. It was underwhelming, the brightness gets rid of one of the absolute coolest effects in the game which is seeing absolute darkness off in the distance and slowing seeing silhouettes appear charging in at you.

One 1 minute gameplay video isn't enough to write it off, especially with Valve involved. But, it certainly didn't make me excited like the first L4D gameplay videos made me.

Consider me a skeptic for the first time of a Valve game. I'm sure the gun-play and the co-op will be pretty tight, but the atmosphere looks boring.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also melee weapons...:O

Also note they make reference to new "boss zombies" plural

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you own TF2 and have been enjoying its two years of continued, free additional content, you should probably feel like you owe Valve this money anyways.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

yes well theyre not releasing TF3 with reskinned classes from TF2 and new maps with a new lighting system and saying its worth $50 either

It would be worth it though. Especially if it included nude skins as an unlockable feature for 100% class achievements. Walk proud, naked heavy. Walk proud.

Robman on
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It better be cheap, that's all. You cannot seriously think new skins and new maps is worth 50$.

What on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One 1 minute gameplay video isn't enough to write it off, especially with Valve involved. But, it certainly didn't make me excited like the first L4D gameplay videos made me.

Consider me a skeptic for the first time of a Valve game. I'm sure the gun-play and the co-op will be pretty tight, but the atmosphere looks boring.

I'm not sold on the sunny maps. I am hoping the dynamic weather from the director can make it dark like the originals (heavy rainfall?) or that they go from day to night or similar.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The daylight levels are only one campaign.

It's not like the whole game will be sunny.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also melee weapons...:O

Also note they make reference to new "boss zombies" plural

They're going to be DARPA troopers.

subedii on
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes it was intensely fun for a few weeks. Didn't like versus that much. Still waiting for more co-op maps.

Not going to pay $50 again for more maps and a few weapons. YMMV.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    If you own TF2 and have been enjoying its two years of continued, free additional content, you should probably feel like you owe Valve this money anyways.
    :lol:

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's nothing wrong with daytime horror. The bright cheerful setting clashes wonderfully with the zombie hordes.

Robman on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hell Counter-Strike has gotten a god damn decade of support. Left 4 Dead got not even half a years worth of support before they jumped to a sequel.

DualEdge on