As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50341.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50245.html

just two days ago i wanted to complain that noone is making this mega man 2.5D game for me and now this. seems pretty fun and after i got this it seems like 50% of my wii library is 2D platformers.... not bad at all. and best of all it comes out this year.
i do wish this hidious piece of crapmusic wouldnt return however, it was driving me nuts int he DS game before...

edit: it seems this was like the only game or topic miyamoto was allowed to talk about at this e3 (next to the other mario game). he talked about how he always started every new mario game with multiplayer ideas, but then had to focus on single player later and that making a great 2d multiplayer mario was something he wanted to do for a while.

PSN | Steam
___
NNID: carmofin
3DS: 2852 6971 9745
Throw me a PM if you add me
carmofin on

• EnwolfEnwolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh my, now doesn't that look entertaining! I like the way you think Nintendo.

Enwolf on
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow that looks amazing.

But will it be retail shelf with DVD or WiiWare download?

Jasoco on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll say as I said in the E3 thread:

Man this really wants me want to play New Super Mario Bros.

Unfortunately I loaned it to a neighbor child a few days ago. :P

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks really fun. I never did pick up the DS version.

Nimble Cat on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man I really wished for this game but I never thought it would happen.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MarioG wrote: »
    Man I really wished for this game but I never thought it would happen.

yeah same here, its like what i would have wanted to play as kid 20 years ago... well, better late then never!
    heres another nice one:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50320.html

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope it's better than the DS version.

NSMB just didn't click with me for some reason, almost like it was trying too hard to be an old-school Mario game. I really don't know how to explain it, but I just found the whole thing really forgettable. Sucks, 'cause it was the reason I bought my DS...luckily I found plenty of other reasons to keep it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A sequel to the great DS game would have been enough, but 4 player co-op too? Hell yeah! Game looks awesome; glad Nintendo gave me a few actual games to look forward to this year.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If it is online co-op, I'm in.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This may be the thing that finally motivates me to get the DS version, because this looks freaking sweet.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

No online co-op. Confirmed at the Roundtable.

Dourin on
  • Jagged WafflesJagged Waffles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

According to Miyamoto's press conference, no online co-op.

Jagged Waffles on
    edited June 2009

According to Miyamoto's press conference, no online co-op.

jaw drops...
    i totally missed that...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    This looks really fun. I never did pick up the DS version.

I didn't, and I'm going to play right now.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, is this identical to the DS version, but with a co-op mode added on?

Krathoon on
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Early impressions from the E3 floor (not me):
    YAY wrote:
    I went to E3 with two friends, both of which where completely meh about the whole idea of this game. They both left the show saying not only they where completely sold on the idea, but furthermore stating it was the game they had the most fun with in the entire show. I share the sentiment. It is a perfect blend of familiar and freshness. It really is what you would imagine a mario platformer would be in co-op. How they havent done this before I dont know, and yet the concept is so flawlessly simple and addictive. THIS will be the biggest seller this year, once you play it you just have to have it. BTW, i am one of the New super mario bros. DS haters. I thought the game wqs unispired, been there done that. This baby is a whole other beast.
    It is worth noting, of the whole show, it was the only game i saw people straight out laughing out loud and smiling all the way while playing it. Incredibly surprised and pleased , and once people play it they will become believers, no doubt. It just screams for online play though. I just hope Nintendo delivers on that. Oh, and the koopa kids are in. YAY.

edit: other opinion
    NAY wrote:
    I played this at the show today and I'm a huge huge Mario fan but the multiplayer stuff left me really disappointed. I know the point is to compete against each other, but it was just so frustrating colliding into the person in front of you, bouncing off a guy or being bounced off of, having the screen scroll suddenly when you were making a jump but now mistimed it cuz it moved, being eaten constantly by someone else's Yoshi, and the worst thing yet, the game suddenly pausing for a half second when someone powered up or died which screws with your timing. It was just a super frustrating and annoying experience playing it multiplayer and I was playing with at least one person I knew. Zelda Four Swords at least had moments where you worked together but here it was pretty free for all and irritating. Hopefully the level design isn't too set on multiplayer cuz this is a game that I will likely never play with people.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
    edited June 2009
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Early impression from the E3 floor (not me):
    I went to E3 with two friends, both of which where completely meh about the whole idea of this game. They both left the show saying not only they where completely sold on the idea, but furthermore stating it was the game they had the most fun with in the entire show. I share the sentiment. It is a perfect blend of familiar and freshness. It really is what you would imagine a mario platformer would be in co-op. How they havent done this before I dont know, and yet the concept is so flawlessly simple and addictive. THIS will be the biggest seller this year, once you play it you just have to have it. BTW, i am one of the New super mario bros. DS haters. I thought the game wqs unispired, been there done that. This baby is a whole other beast.
    It is worth noting, of the whole show, it was the only game i saw people straight out laughing out loud and smiling all the way while playing it. Incredibly surprised and pleased , and once people play it they will become believers, no doubt. It just screams for online play though. I just hope Nintendo delivers on that. Oh, and the koopa kids are in. YAY.

sounds like a nobrainer to make bring it online... bah...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks like a day one purchase for me. Time to pull the Wii out of storage.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XeroxKopyXeroxKopy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guess who's back?
    koopakids.jpg
    This game is already awesome.

XeroxKopy on
    GT: Xerox Kopy
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    XeroxKopy wrote: »
    Guess who's back?
    koopakids.jpg
    [noparse]:o :o[/noparse] :O :O :O :O :O

Sorry, they're just characters but damn did I enjoy whooping them way back when. That was some good nostalgia right there.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought NSMB was really mediocre, but I'm hopeful for this.

Speed Racer on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guess who's back?
    koopakids.jpg

Shit just got real.

-SPI- on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh my goodness Koopa Kids!

Speed Racer on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guess who's back?
    koopakids.jpg

O :

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NOOOOO! I'm still recovering from Superstar Saga!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Jagged WafflesJagged Waffles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Weren't the Koopa Kids in NSMB for the DS as well, or am I misremembering?

Jagged Waffles on
    edited June 2009
    Weren't the Koopa Kids in NSMB for the DS as well, or am I misremembering?

Nah, just Bowser Jr.

Speed Racer on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NAY wrote:
    I played this at the show today and I'm a huge huge Mario fan but the multiplayer stuff left me really disappointed. I know the point is to compete against each other, but it was just so frustrating colliding into the person in front of you, bouncing off a guy or being bounced off of, having the screen scroll suddenly when you were making a jump but now mistimed it cuz it moved, being eaten constantly by someone else's Yoshi, and the worst thing yet, the game suddenly pausing for a half second when someone powered up or died which screws with your timing. It was just a super frustrating and annoying experience playing it multiplayer and I was playing with at least one person I knew. Zelda Four Swords at least had moments where you worked together but here it was pretty free for all and irritating. Hopefully the level design isn't too set on multiplayer cuz this is a game that I will likely never play with people.

That NAY sounds like a YAY in my world except for pausing when you get power ups.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks like a game I've already played. I'm looking at this with caution.

Did anyone give Wario Land Shake it a try?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nobody's more excited about the koopa kids than I am

nobody

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Dritz wrote: »
    NAY wrote:
    That NAY sounds like a YAY in my world except for pausing when you get power ups.
    The limed part is what delighted me.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    NAY wrote:

I am somewhat apprehensive of taking the word of someone who repeatedly uses the word cuz.

Kelor on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Koopa Kids WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited June 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    NAY wrote:
    I am somewhat apprehensive of taking the word of someone who repeatedly uses the word cuz.
    Do you think he'd lie to us about Yoshi betrayal?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Welcome penguin Mario.

Welcome.

MiserableMirth on
    edited June 2009
    Kelor wrote:

The man is complaining that a Yoshi ate his character. And using other players as a replacement for goombas.

I don't think we need to go any deeper than that.

That's like complaining because one of the two gymnasts you just woke up in bed with can stretch too far.

Kelor on
    edited June 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Kelor wrote:
    The man is complaining that a Yoshi ate his character. And using other players as a replacement for goombas.

I don't think we need to go any deeper than that.
    As long as I can actually command my Yoshi to consume my allies, this man's "negative" review has confirmed a day one purchase.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It seems that like most of the great co-op games, how much of a douche you are is entirely up to you.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
    edited June 2009
    It seems that like most of the great co-op games, how much of a douche you are is entirely up to you.

Having no online solves this though, because you can slug the person being a dick.

Kelor on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm glad it's competitive, really, because the thing that really ruined NSMB for me was how depressingly easy it was. There was just no reason to keep the game after I'd breezed through it in a few days and had already unlocked everything. I couldn't see myself buying another Mario 2D platformer if it was going to be such a cakewalk, and even if this one is, at least I can count on friends to fuck me over any chance they get.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream