As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

• AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, that multiplayer gameplay vid really looked like great fun.

And someone asked about Wario Land: Shake it? It was a good, very pretty 2D platformer, but more Wario than Mario (which is only logical).

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Koopa Kids WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Koopa Kids? Hell yesss!!!

And yeah, that competitive co-op video looked like tons of fun. A few drinks and some friends should make for some good times. :mrgreen:

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks like a game I've already played. I'm looking at this with caution.

Did anyone give Wario Land Shake it a try?

Yes. And it was FUCKING AWESOME.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anybody who played the Vs. mode in NSMB knows this game will be awesome. Do we already know if the game is playable in single- and multiplayer in it's entirety, or do they split it up?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anybody who played the Vs. mode in NSMB knows this game will be awesome. Do we already know if the game is playable in single- and multiplayer in it's entirety, or do they split it up?

It's co-op with the same levels regardless of player count.

Peewi on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will be buying this, and probably day one.

Kind of surprised it didn't come out 20 years ago, though.

Xagarath on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Great news. I really hope they make it a full-fleshed game, like the first NSMB, the only difference beeing that you play and compete with other players.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Exactly how hard is it to create netcode for a 2D platformer?

I mean, are we talking about a thousand man hours of legendarily difficult programming? Ten thousand? A hundred thousand? Yeah, it's got to be at least six digits. Because that's the only good reason I can think of for fucking the Wii out of another online-capable title.

Mumblyfish on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Great news. I really hope they make it a full-fleshed game, like the first NSMB, the only difference beeing that you play and compete with other players.

They've already said that this is what it is, with the bonus of being able to play it solo.

Xagarath on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    It seems that like most of the great co-op games, how much of a douche you are is entirely up to you.

Having no online solves this though, because you can slug the person being a dick.

You don't know how bruised I sometimes get during extended Wii multiplayer - but it never stopped me :)

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I thought they had been banished from Nintendo Land forever.

I'm liking the look of this game. It seems like one of those titles that is a bit unimpressive and mediocre at first but once you play makes perfect sense.

Also the Vs mode on DS was very fun but too tiny. This looks like a whole game built on that mode.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MikeRyu wrote: »

I thought they had been banished from Nintendo Land forever.

Then you obviously never played the Mario & Luigi series.

Arceus on
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

It's co-op with the same levels regardless of player count.
    Does this mean you can play it on your own with the other 3 characters being bots, like Zelda: Four Swords Adventures?

Arceus on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Behold, the worlds WORST excuse EVER.\

EDIT: Specifically referring to the part about how New Super Mario Bros Wii can't have online because "it's already using every bit of power the wii has."

TheSonicRetard on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

EDIT: Specifically referring to the part about how New Super Mario Bros Wii can't have online because "it's already using every bit of power the wii has."

o_O

Man, at least complain about pings and lag or something. I refuse to believe this DS engine port is using more processing power than Mario Kart Wii.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited June 2009
    Arceus wrote: »
    Does this mean you can play it on your own with the other 3 characters being bots, like Zelda: Four Swords Adventures?

If you're playing alone, you're playing alone, so nope, no bots. You can see it in the first part of this trailer:

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

o_O

Man, at least complain about pings and lag or something. I refuse to believe this DS engine port is using more processing power than Mario Kart Wii.
    I could at least understand a straight-up, honest response about why the developers just couldn't give a fuck about online multiplayer. But, man, New Super Mario Bros. of all things chewing up so much processing power that there isn't a single cycle left for netcode? How stupid does Nintendo think we a

28m398g.jpg

Mumblyfish on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »

o_O

I could at least understand a straight-up, honest response about why the developers just couldn't give a fuck about online multiplayer. But, man, New Super Mario Bros. of all things chewing up so much processing power that there isn't a single cycle left for netcode? How stupid does Nintendo think we a

It was confirmed before the end of the conference that the comment was a mistranslation.
    # Posted 7:31 PST

What he really said was that hardware has limited all developers since the 8-bit days, and it's a constant struggle for everyone.
    # Posted 7:30 PST

Apparently Miyamoto's comments were not entirely translated.

They are clarifying the hardware limitation statement.

Now the translator is being talked to by a Treehouse guy.

That doesn't mean "the game uses up all the processing power lol." Clearly it doesn't, when Brawl can run well with four players and more complex-looking graphics.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ...Isn't that just a fancy way of saying "Nintendo kinda sucks at online"?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2009
    Didn't I just say Brawl ran well with four players?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh god, I will have to play with real people in the real world, nooooooooooooo

Or hire strippers to play the game with me and buy a house for all of us to play in, gahd.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Didn't I just say Brawl ran well with four players?

Just because you said it doesn't make it true. Brawl ran terribly.

Or hire strippers to play the game with me and buy a house for all of us to play in, gahd.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=5468625

TheSonicRetard on
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

20030825h.gif

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
    edited June 2009

If you're playing alone, you're playing alone, so nope, no bots. You can see it in the first part of this trailer:

Excellent! I don't care for multiplayer games at all, apart from the occasional Donkey Konga or Rock Band, so this is good news. Are the levels exactly the same whether you play them alone or with multiple people? Or is it more like the challenge mode in SSB Brawl, where (IIRC) certain co-op challenges were sadly only accessible if multiple controllers were plugged in?

Arceus on
    edited June 2009

Excellent! I don't care for multiplayer games at all, apart from the occasional Donkey Konga or Rock Band, so this is good news. Are the levels exactly the same whether you play them alone or with multiple people? Or is it more like the challenge mode in SSB Brawl, where (IIRC) certain co-op challenges were sadly only accessible if multiple controllers were plugged in?
    Hang on, nobody knows yet. :P All we have is a trailer and a little bit of show floor gameplay. I think it is a reasonable guess that some content will not be reachable with just one player. I hope there's at least one full world dedicated to multiplayer challenges that require several people - essentially playing like LittleBigPlanet. :)

UncleSporky on
    edited June 2009
    I hope there's at least one full world dedicated to multiplayer challenges that require several people - essentially playing like LittleBigPlanet. :)
    Then I hope they pull a FSA for that level and make it so you can use bots for the other three, so everybody can play it.

Arceus on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    With no online I hope it's a proper Mario game first with multiplayer features added on and not the other way around. Here's hoping it's longer and much harder than NSMB.

Zek on
    edited June 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    With no online I hope it's a proper Mario game first with multiplayer features added on and not the other way around. Here's hoping it's longer and much harder than NSMB.

NSMB was pretty long if you went for all the secret levels (and honestly, who wouldn't because they were awesome) and a decent challenge i you went for all the secret coiins, etc. to get three stars (IIRC) under your filename. People who call it too easy just rushed through the regular levels, beat the boss and never looked back. They are the same people who only got the minimum amount of stars in SMG to unlock the Bowser fight and then go whining that the game is too short and easy. Sure it is, if you only play the easy first half and then quit.

Arceus on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

NSMB was pretty long if you went for all the secret levels (and honestly, who wouldn't because they were awesome) and a decent challenge i you went for all the secret coiins, etc. to get three stars (IIRC) under your filename. People who call it too easy just rushed through the regular levels, beat the boss and never looked back. They are the same people who only got the minimum amount of stars in SMG to unlock the Bowser fight and then go whining that the game is too short and easy. Sure it is, if you only play the easy first half and then quit.

Make no mistake, playing straight through the game was pathetically simple, but even perfecting it was pretty easy by Mario standards.

Zek on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The DS multiplayer was decent, but t kind of got old pretty quick. The ability to play this single player makes it almost worth it, though. The problem I see is there will be all this stuff sitting out of reach while going through by yourself, and you'll just have to ignore it because it will be impossible to reach without some help.

Fortunately, the inclusion of the Koopa Kids makes this day one for me. And there's always Galaxy 1.5 and Mario and Luigi 3 to fully satisfy my single playing mario needs.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, I've played through Mario64 recently, and most of the challenge seemed to come from a slightly off feel for the jumps and the cursed camera.

But yes, Mario Galaxy could have been a bit more of a challenge - olthough the later levels deliver, I think.

edit: and some puzzles in Sunshine were just ridiculously hard (note: I'm not talking about the bonus levels with the classic mario theme music, those were awesome), also often due to camera quirks

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited June 2009

Make no mistake, playing straight through the game was pathetically simple, but even perfecting it was pretty easy by Mario standards.

By Mario standards? Hm. It's been a while but my best recollection is that it was similar in difficulty to Mario Galaxy, though sometimes in a different way - more puzzling, less based on brute forcing it by dying a lot. Some of those big coins were extremely well hidden, or you could see them in plain sight but had no idea how to reach them. And it did have its share of tough challenges.

Ooh, I just thought of something: revamp the save system. We can't just put the Wii to sleep for later as conveniently as the DS. Please let us save anywhere.

UncleSporky on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NSMB was ridiculously easy. I beat the game with 99 lives.

Hexmage-PA on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Power Ups were everywhere in that game. If I died it was because of platforming aspect of it and the monsters.

Algertman on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

As did I.
    Including extra bonus replays and shit.

And I kind of suck a platformers.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited June 2009

Lives are no longer a standard of the game's difficulty, and they especially aren't an indicator of fun. I assume you found every big coin on every level on the first run through, too?

UncleSporky on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why even have extra lives if the game is just going to throw them at me like I'm a trick-or-treater on Halloween night?

Hexmage-PA on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Lives are no longer a standard of the game's difficulty, and they especially aren't an indicator of fun. I assume you found every big coin on every level on the first run through, too?

NSMB wasn't a good enough game for me to want to do that. It must be my least played "main" Mario game.

Moioink on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NSMB wasn't super hard, but I felt challenged at parts. I don't play a whole lot of platformers though.

I'm looking forward to this. It'll be great for playing with my friends that don't play a whole lot of games.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm surprised to hear people didn't like New Super Mario Bros. I thought that'd be lynchin' talk.
    I actually didn't like it too much either. I didn't hate it, there was just something off about it. Whoever said it was trying a bit too hard to be old school may have been on to something. Maybe that was it.
    Edit: Oh, yeah, and the music wasn't very good.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif