As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Steel 2 - chopping and stabbing for real this time

carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50106.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50426.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50424.html

now i dont know about you guys, but everyone i know felt realyl cheated and disapointed about the first game. personally i really didnt hate the game so much, mostly, because aiming with the wiimote to shoot stuff(NOT being locked to a rail) is just so much fun. however, it seems like they are doing a lot of things right this time around. lots of actual swordfighting, much better graphics, im pretty sure ill pick this up when it gets bundled with wii motion plus.

PSN | Steam
___
NNID: carmofin
3DS: 2852 6971 9745
Throw me a PM if you add me
carmofin on

• Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just a rental initially for me out of curiosity. Red Steel was an awful game with laughably bad Japanese stereotypes and 1:1 would not have saved it. If they try too hard to be cool and ram it full of cliches again it will be going back in the rental envelope pretty quickly.

Moioink on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nintendo also announced that this will be packaged with motion+, which means it's a purchase for me.

That, and it's basically The Dark Tower + katanas.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Just a rental initially for me out of curiosity. Red Steel was an awful game with laughably bad Japanese stereotypes and 1:1 would not have saved it. If they try too hard to be cool and ram it full of cliches again it will be going back in the rental envelope pretty quickly.

i pretty much agree with this.

I tried really hard to like the first one. got it used. could not for the life of me get interested in it because the swordfighting was unbelievably terrible compared to how it was advertised.

i'm definitely going to adopt a wait and see attitude on this one.

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've only seen one hands-on write-up about this but to say that it wasn't kind towards it would be putting it lightly.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oh? the impressions i read were actually fairly positive...
    i really dont want to buy wii sport resort...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    carmofin wrote: »
    Why not? It looks fantastic.

And if you want MotionPlus packed in but don't want this or Resort, you should get Tiger Woods. That is a feature rich game that has been previewed very well.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    69Taicho6969Taicho69 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    This is one of the 3 games I'm totally psyched about this year, the other 2 being Prototype and Assassin's Creed 2.

At first I wasn't keen on the cell-shaded art style, but I've grown to love that style of artwork in games, especially because of Prince of Persia. And the gameplay looks really good, as the thing that annoyed me about the first one is that you couldn't use the sword freely, and even in the limited times you can use it it's only "hit in this certain way, then block in that certain way". Plus the aiming for the gun is awful, since you had to go right to the edge of the screen to turn. Retarded.

Also, the guy you play as look very cool, like a cross between Clint Eastwood, Bill from Kill Bill, and Vincent Valentine. How can that not be awesome?

69Taicho69 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

And if you want MotionPlus packed in but don't want this or Resort, you should get Tiger Woods. That is a feature rich game that has been previewed very well.

because ive had it with their minigames made for old peopel to play... got enough of those, its fun for about a week and then you never pick it up again, period.
    basically what happened was, i saw them using the bow mechanic at the sony conference shooting at armored ghouls and i knew sport resorts is not for me ;P

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I've only seen one hands-on write-up about this but to say that it wasn't kind towards it would be putting it lightly.

conversely, i've seen several that have been fairly positive. i guess i could post em (if i can find em again).

here we go:

cort from gonintendo
    So far, so good... Ubisoft still has plenty of time to build, refine, and polish all the aspects, but it already looks and plays pretty well. If I get a chance to revisit their demo and try other levels, I'll be sure to share!

nintendolife
    Developers and publishers often say that their sequels are "truly the game the first title should have been", but for once that is genuinely true about Red Steel 2. The guns are as accessible as ever, but the extra freedom afforded by MotionPlus has given the swordplay the accuracy, speed and physical feel its prequel lacked. The new Western setting, vastly improved graphics and more fluid gameplay left me thoroughly impressed and dying to play more.

wiids.co.uk
    Overall, Red Steel 2 looks like it’s shaping up to be a fantastic game. The gameplay with the Motion Plus add on really makes it feel like you are in total control of both sword and gun, and the graphic effects are impressive to say the least. The original Red Steel did a great job of launching the franchise, but Red Steel 2 looks like it fills all the gaps Red Steel left, and I cannot wait to get my hands on the finished game!

ign
    I think you're going to like what you see and let me just tell you, it's nothing compared to playing Steel 2 at 60 frames per second on a proper widescreen television.

4cr
    Overall, the whole demo seemed to contain a lot of generic aspects in its enemy design and attack strategies, but the excellent manner of control and overall enjoyability of doing badass things as this badass character pushed any potential annoyances into the back of my mind. I can’t say if I would get more bothered by what could easily become repetitive gameplay hours into the full game or not, but as it stands now my first impression of Red Steel 2 is that it’s the amazingly fun sword/gun game I had hoped the first one would be.

artgrafi.com
    We really enjoyed our time playing Red Steel 2, and even though we played it on the show floor, we didn’t have any problem getting into the new swinging mechanics of the swordplay.

yeah, most of these sites are just nintendo fan sites so you have to take them with a grain of salt. but I've yet to find one that was outright negative

Guek on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow that Developer Walkthrough is extremely convicing. The controls really remind me of the Metroid Prime 3 scheme and the switching between swordplay and gunplay looks damn smooth. I just hope they have a tighter aiming option, since it still looked kinda floaty.

I am quite excited.

EDIT: Heh, "Wii Motion Ploos"

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009

because ive had it with their minigames made for old peopel to play... got enough of those, its fun for about a week and then you never pick it up again, period.
    basically what happened was, i saw them using the bow mechanic at the sony conference shooting at armored ghouls and i knew sport resorts is not for me ;P
    ...Resort plays almost exactly the same way and is available immediately, rather than a two year wait for something that probably won't even end up in a game. And wasn't the demo Sony showed a minigame, quite literally? Ugh.

Anyway, Red Steel 2, Red Steel 2...

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Other than holding the sword out in front of you and rotating it seems like everything can be done with the regular wiimote. You don't need M+ to do that kind of slashing. I wonder why they went M+ exclusive.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Other than holding the sword out in front of you and rotating it seems like everything can be done with the regular wiimote. You don't need M+ to do that kind of slashing. I wonder why they went M+ exclusive.
    Yeah, to be honest it doesn't look like it takes much advantage of M+ at all. The sword movement is a far cry from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IxquJVGEZo

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That's the plan!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Marketing.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, to be honest it doesn't look like it takes much advantage of M+ at all. The sword movement is a far cry from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IxquJVGEZo

this subgame was cancelled right?

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Frankly, I don't understand the point of motion+ at all. Why can't the remote behave that way in the sword video without motion+?

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Frankly, I don't understand the point of motion+ at all. Why can't the remote behave that way in the sword video without motion+?

Because it was first generation tech and was not all that accurate.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's not the thread for it, but
    this subgame was cancelled right?
    No, not at all. It was demoed again in the trailer during Nintendo's conference. From the show floor people have talked about a mode where you chop your way through dozens of Miis, called the Gauntlet.

It has sword fighting, archery, skydiving, frisbee, table tennis, airplane flying, bowling, golf, wakeboarding, bicycling and jet skiing. And not just quick one-offs like in Wii Play, it sounds like many of them have multiple modes, courses, and challenges.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/990/990213p1.html

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

thats a bit complicated to explain, the sensors in the wiimote only allow to register certain kinds of movements. certain rotations and movements are omitted by the sensors and because of that it becomes impossible to accurately use the motion for precise control.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited June 2009

thats a bit complicated to explain, the sensors in the wiimote only allow to register certain kinds of movements. certain rotations and movements are omitted by the sensors and because of that it becomes impossible to accurately use the motion for precise control.

Ok, that makes more sense. Because at least from these videos, motion+ doesn't seem any more or less "accurate" than the standard remote. But I understand what you mean about certain movements not registering.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    just as example, if you hold your wiimote vertical and rotate it, theres no way for the sensors to see that.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    69Taicho69 wrote: »
    Also, the guy you play as look very cool, like a cross between Clint Eastwood, Bill from Kill Bill, and Vincent Valentine. How can that not be awesome?

Well put 69Taicho69, well put indeed.

I can only hope that one day we get a game with all three of those characters and determine who is supreme. Red Steel 3 perhaps?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The remote can now know it's position in 3d space relative to a calibrated center. In Red Steel 2 they are using it in part to smooth out the controls, including allowing rotation when the remote isn't pointed at the screen (and speeding up the rotation depending on how far out you move it). They also are picking up all of the sword movements basically as you are doing them, and can correct for things they couldn't in the original game. Sword fighting now doesn't require motions so much as... sword fighting.

You could assume a position before (as evidenced by Wii Boxing between rounds, for example) but you'll never be completely accurate without motion plus (as evidenced by Wii Boxing between rounds).

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited June 2009
    just as example, if you hold your wiimote vertical and rotate it, theres no way for the sensors to see that.
    That's exactly what MotionPlus is adding (if I remember right). And naturally, if there was no way to detect that previously, you could hold it vertically, rotate the remote 90 degrees and try to use it again and every motion would be skewed 90 degrees.

You are able to rotate it while pointing at the TV because the camera in the remote sees the lights on the sensor bar rotating.

MotionPlus adds the accelerometer it needs to approximate the remote's position even when not pointed at the screen.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You forgot Carmen Sandiego.

Also the aerial launch attack is totally bitching. I honestly can't see why folks aren't into this because I see nothing but wonderful things in the walkthrough narrated by that glorious frenchman.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zampano wrote: »
    You forgot Carmen Sandiego.

Also the aerial launch attack is totally bitching. I honestly can't see why folks aren't into this because I see nothing but wonderful things in the walkthrough narrated by that glorious frenchman.

Well let's be honest, it's no Splinter Cell Conviction. But I don't expect it to be. What I see looks pretty fun, I just hope the final game has more substance, more enemy types, more weapons, more varied landscape, vehicles, etc.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

It kind of sounds like he was out to hate the game... and it's also interesting that no one else had that problem with sword fighting.

At least, no one else that I've read anything from so far.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a bit complicated, but basically the wiimote just has an accelerometer in it. There is a limit to the motion it can track.

Look at this picture.
    BrunoPitchRollYaw.jpg

The yaw axis in the painful yellow is motion that the regular wiimote can't detect. M+ allows for the wiimote to track this motion. It may not seem like a big deal, but added to what the wiimote can already do, it adds a lot.

Also, I found out you can still turn your character in this game even when the cursor goes off the screen. I think that is pretty cool.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/56441.html
    heres a new vid from TGS, I know the whole world wants me to hate the game, but I still remain hopefull that this is going to turn out fun. With all those lame railshooters coming out the Wii really needs a game like this.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    why would they make a sequal to a game that was terrible, sold badly, and got terrible reviews across the board? This baffles me.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It pisses me off that Ubi Soft are making a sequel to this garbage instead of making a sequel to XIII especially after that cliffhanger ending.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    XIII was terrible.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    why would they make a sequal to a game that was terrible, sold badly, and got terrible reviews across the board? This baffles me.

Because it actually sold extremely well. And they want to make a sequel to a game that sold extremely well on the idea that the sequel will also sell extremely well. The people making money from all the selling-well-ness don't really give a shit if the game was "terrible" or got "bad reviews" since it made them so much money. See, Ubisoft, being a business, likes making money.

SyphonBlue wrote: »
    XIII was terrible.

it was okay-ish.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hope there are unlockable sword models. Katanas are alright, but I'm more of a broadsword man.

BlueDestiny on