As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 2009 MEGATHREAD] E3 OVER - GO HOME

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck, how tiny is that PSP Go? Is it smaller than a regular PSP?

Cut the buttons off, and then continue to slice off a little of the screen, and you have a PSP go

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think the scale on these is right, from Kotaku:

psp_go_vs_dsi.jpg

psp_go_vs_psp_iphone.jpg

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    corin7 wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »
    "How am I supposed to hold this thing?"

"Dunno about that price. I have to ask the wife."

"Where does the money come out?"

Klyka wins E3.

Someone needs to photoshop that stat. We can beat gaf at it's own game.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

I think the scale on these is right, from Kotaku:

im]ig]

Thats really tiny then, I mean it doesnt look comfortable to use at all.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GT on PSP looks fuckwin though.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    'cause I'm an MSPaint Hero.

[img]bandwidth'd on geocities :P[/ig][/img]

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I did it quickly in Paint. I'm sure it would look better with a black outline on the text and maybe a different font.
    sln2q8.jpg

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like how that guy next to Miyamoto is pointing at the dongle part

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    seriouslunch_conan.jpg

:o

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not to go off-topic, but is anyone going to update the OP, or are we going to be stuck with Microsolf knob-slobbering and little else useful in the OP forever.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    miyamoto_psp_go.jpg

Best E3 pic.

That's Shiggy Miyamoto of Nintendo checking out the PSP Go

That's too cool

This doesn't surprise me, as he has never said anything bad about his competition and is usually seen checking out the other companies booths or products.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That Conan O'Brien shop is fantastic.

As for Miyamoto checking out the Go! I'm not surprised in the least. Any businessman worth his salt would examine his competitor's products very carefully.

Still, $250? It's going to be a catastrophic failure.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would have bought the new PSP if it was much cheaper. Once again, price is the only thing stopping me buying a Sony product. A product I really want. But not that badly.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Now that the Go is coming out, the price on the other PSP should drop some more and I'll be picking one up. I have been wanting their remake of Mega Man for so long now.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Now that the Go is coming out, the price on the other PSP should drop some more and I'll be picking one up. I have been wanting their remake of Mega Man for so long now.

Sadly, the price won't drop at all; the Go is already $80 more expensive than the 3000.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Sadly, the price won't drop at all; the Go is already $80 more expensive than the 3000.

And has a smaller screen and no UMD drive.

I mean...how?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That Conan O'Brien shop is fantastic.

As for Miyamoto checking out the Go! I'm not surprised in the least. Any businessman worth his salt would examine his competitor's products very carefully.

Still, $250? It's going to be a catastrophic failure.

Even at $250 I'd be tempted to buy it for the simple fact that it's smaller and now maybe fits the "Portable" name nicely.

But fuck that because I can't play any of my PSP games on this PSP.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I mean...how?

To me the biggest "Wha!?!" moment was when he admitted development costs were 80% cheaper now, just to whip out the 250 pricetag.

I mean what are they thinking?

I guess we're paying for potential again huh? o_O

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I mean...how?

The slightly smaller screen and lack of UMD I'm fine with, actually; it's the prestige, trying-to-compete-with-iPhone pricing that's the real killer. Though if the MP3 playback is drastically improved from the original PSP and the current PSP library is made downloadable and priced reasonably, I might be tempted to sell off all the PSP stuff I have and pick one up. That's a massive conditional statement, though.

Lunker on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I mean...how?

it's the prestige, trying-to-compete-with-iPhone pricing that's the real killer.

How is it supposed to compete with the iPhone price-wise when the iPhone is $199?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I mean...how?

it's the prestige, trying-to-compete-with-iPhone pricing that's the real killer.

How is it supposed to compete with the iPhone price-wise when the iPhone is $199?

The iPhone is $199 with a data-included service plan that's, what, $60 a month now? I guess the more appropriate comparison is the $229/$299 iPod Touch. I still think it's ludicrous but from a business standpoint I guess Sony reasons that a $250 PSP Go is comparable to a $299 16GB iPod Touch.

Either that or Sony's attempting the whole Game Boy Micro thing: a boutique handheld that's small, sleek and more expensive than the big-boy regular handheld. Though I guess Sony didn't skip to the end of the Behind the Music segment, where the Micro tanked at retail and was clearanced out a year or so after launch.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This is what I have:
    miyamoto_psp_go-shot.jpg

I suck a the gimp but maybe I'll try to clean up the speech bubble.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I mean...how?

The iPhone is $199 with a data-included service plan that's, what, $60 a month now? I guess the more appropriate comparison is the $229/$299 iPod Touch. I still think it's ludicrous but from a business standpoint I guess Sony reasons that a $250 PSP Go is comparable to a $299 16GB iPod Touch.

Either that or Sony's attempting the whole Game Boy Micro thing: a boutique handheld that's small, sleek and more expensive than the big-boy regular handheld. Though I guess Sony didn't skip to the end of the Behind the Music segment, where the Micro tanked at retail and was clearanced out a year or so after launch.

Hey, if this thing tanks and clearances out in a year, it'll be when I buy it

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not to go off-topic, but is anyone going to update the OP, or are we going to be stuck with Microsolf knob-slobbering and little else useful in the OP forever.

I'm pretty sure the OP would update it if someone wrote better synopses for the other conferences, as if I recall correctly the OP didn't get a chance to watch them.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PSPGo is far more impressive when you actually see it in on someone's hands. So tiny and light.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    PSPGo is far more impressive when you actually see it in on someone's hands. So tiny and light.

That's the confliction I have: The gamer in me thinks it's useless when I have a PSP-2000 that works fine and can actually play the UMDs I have. But the tech nerd lusting whore in me thinks it looks sexy as hell, and my iPod just crapped out on me last week so I'm in the market for another MP3 player.

Lunker on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I mean...how?

Either that or Sony's just being Sony.

Honestly, I do think the small size is a plus, but it's outweighed by the lack of a disk drive and the price. $250 lol is the new $600 lol.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If it transferred exactly, its actually an awesome price, actually less than a current PSP3000 or a DSI in the UK.

But of course, it wont.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The thing about the system tanking sales wise is that Nintendo has always cut their losses and dropped production that ends up just being a money hole (ala Virtual Boy and GB Micro), but Sony has yet to show they do that. If sales are horrible they try to fix it by doing whatever.

Also called the PS3 method.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Price means fail. Dammit I was hoping it'd be cheaper. I kinda want one.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited June 2009
    The thing about the system tanking sales wise is that Nintendo has always cut their losses and dropped production that ends up just being a money hole (ala Virtual Boy and GB Micro), but Sony has yet to show they do that. If sales are horrible they try to fix it by doing whatever.

So you consider the PS3 sucha failure that they should just drop the line entirely?

Thank god you don't get to make any kind of important decisions.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

I mean...how?

It's got 16 gigs of internal memory man! Do you have any idea how expensive that is?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

So you consider the PS3 sucha failure that they should just drop the line entirely?

No, that's not what I was saying. Although looking at my post, it looks like it.

What I'm saying is that Sony tends to find ways to fix the situation such as new bundles, slight price drops, etc etc. I was just saying if the PSP Go did tank pretty badly, I don't see them just dropping it.

I guess more simply I don't see this being a GB Micro situation. And while not selling as well as the competition, no it isn't a failure.

Oh well, I'll just hush, my point is muddled appearantly and I can't speak english well today either. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    miyamoto_psp_go-shop.jpg

better?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Use better font, then it become awesome

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fonts. meh. Ok.

1 min.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    still terrible

Nuzak on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

No, that's not what I was saying. Although looking at my post, it looks like it.

What I'm saying is that Sony tends to find ways to fix the situation such as new bundles, slight price drops, etc etc. I was just saying if the PSP Go did tank pretty badly, I don't see them just dropping it.

I guess more simply I don't see this being a GB Micro situation. And while not selling as well as the competition, no it isn't a failure.

Oh well, I'll just hush, my point is muddled appearantly and I can't speak english well today either. :(

To be fair, given that the price of components has dropped a LOT slower than they anticipated and that Sony's STILL losing money on each PS3 sold, there's not a whole hell of a lot they can do short of either soldiering on with that albatross of a price or dropping the system entirely.

Then again they were silly for shoehorning in an expensive new format onto a mass-market game system before the market was ready for it (the format). I've long said the PS3 wouldn't have had all these problems and would be doing better than the 360 if it weren't for Blu-ray.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DeathofaLionDeathofaLion __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    How does Sony lose money on each ps3 sold? More like, they lose money on each PS3 MADE.

I had no idea that Sony had to pay you to take a ps3 home.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    People can find a PSP Stay Put for about 150 Euros/Americans right now, so that extra hundo might be a real dealbreaker for many, lack of fiddly UMDs or not.

Also, I remain adamant on its ugliness compared to the original.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.