As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[E3 2009 MEGATHREAD] E3 OVER - GO HOME

• Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So was Ocarina of Time something you didn't want? Really? Arguably the best entry in the series?

Well, back in the day, when I was still young enough to care about that sort of thing (insert that C.S. Lewis quote here), I was pretty hyped about Ocarina. I always had this nagging feeling that something was missing though, and I couldn't put my finger on it, so I shrugged it off as a result of the move to 3D or something.
    Then came Spaceworld 2001, and what would later become Wind Waker, and I immediately knew what I missed and that I could never go back to the Ocarina style. They say you don't know what you've got until it's gone, but seeing that proved that sometimes, you also don't know what you've lost until you get it back.
    So yes, I wanted Ocarina a long time ago, but I've changed, and I don't any more.
    Anyway, it's a good thing you used the word 'arguably', since Ocarina actually ended up being one of my least favorite Zeldas (not that it wasn't good, it's just that I like so many other Zeldas so much better).
    Holy jumping to conclusions, Batman! Let's take a deep breath now. Like Jam Warrior said, let's wait for more information before concluding whether this game is good to buy or not.

Well, it's not like that Link in the picture is gonna magically get younger, is it? Or the art style more lighthearted and cartoony. Look, I know what I like and this isn't it. Still, it is only a first impression, and I should have made that clearer even though it should be obvious that it couldn't be anything other than a first impression.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have to say, as far as the debate on the age of Link, I have never once put any thought to it.

Cel-shaded Link, I see and think, Goddamn, I love me some Zelda.

Adult-teen Link, I see and think, Goddamn, I love me some Zelda. As long as Aonuma and/or Miyamoto sign off, and put the love and care and pure 171 proof turbo awesome that the Nintendo (EAD? Do they do Zelda?) developed games all tend to have, I'm alright.

To me a Zelda game is less about the trappings, graphical style, gimmick and storyline, granted these things are generally top-notch, but about the people who make and the obvious high-level of skill and devotion to the material. Zelda is a medium for pure enjoyment for me.

I never think about the things like "wonderment" or feeling "insignificant", if that is part of the story, or theme they want to convey, most times I will get that, but most of the time, I just think, damn I love me some Zelda. It's fun to quest as a young boy in the face of world far bigger than he, it's also fun to rock faces to pieces as basically Legolas' badass cousin from the hood.

That said, even given how I loved Twilight Princess, but I could tell however that from that point they had pushed the usual tropes of Zelda to their Zenith, and I hope that they shake things up much in the way Other M seems to be for Metroid, because though my affections for the Legend of Zelda are deep, by the end of TP, I could not say that the formula of OOT wasn't getting stale.

Hopefully this is the next LttP -> OoT sea change, wherein things change in a new way while retaining something of the character of the series at its core.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wasn't impressed at all by the SD streaming of GoW3 during the Sony Press Conference, but a look at this kind of stuff has me interested again. THAT's more like it.

Darlan on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    I wasn't impressed at all by the SD streaming of GoW3 during the Sony Press Conference, but a look at this kind of stuff has me interested again. THAT's more like it.
    Oh.
    My.
    God.

I've never played a God of War game, but I think I will now just so I can feel bitter, bitter sadness over not owning a PS3.

BITTER.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    In my own experience with the Zelda series I've come to feeling that the Zelda games are just a way to experience Hyrule, with Link both as hero, protagonist, avatar etc. and also a sort of cameraman. Better world with better immersion and more nice experiences and mysteries = better Zelda game. This is why - to me - WW turned out to be charming and atmospheric but lacked variety and longevity and why TP ended up not leaving much of an impression. OoT really fleshed out Hyrule and its mythos and is dearly beloved. MM managed to introduce an alter-Hyrule that had variety and groaned with atmosphere and consistency - again, lauded and rightly so. PH got movement down pat but the treatment of Hyrule was somewhat lacking - MM proved you can make the equivalent of FF X-2 and yet do something all new. So PH ended up being smooth and clever but divided the fanbase somewhat.

Some in the Zelda Wii: Important Entity of Placeholder team have apparently wanted more focus on story and RPG elements, with Miyamoto being a little skeptical - all well and good. I recall Miyamoto not being too pleased with Zelda II: AoL but its innovations and additions to Hyrule were well met by fans, so I hope they strike a balance. MM borrowed the entire framework from OoT and people still play it in order to cure ails and agues, so innovation in mechanics cannot be the only improvement on predecessors that should be considered in development.

I guess a Zelda that really could clean out and get almost all of the bell curve ejaculating spinal fluid out of sheer joy (and then dying, I guess) would be a game that makes the leap to smooth and hardware-centric controls we saw between WW and PH while presenting us with a world that manages to be to the other games what MM was to OoT. Then we would have to start using Deaths by Orgasms as an evaluation unit.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Regarding the PSP Go discussion earlier about getting copies of your games:
    Engadget wrote:
    "We just sat down for an interview with Sony's John Koller, who among many other interesting tidbits and factoids (more on those later) assuaged fears that our giant UMD library would be entirely forsaken. While light on details -- they're still figuring it out, he said -- there will be a "good will" program by which owners of current disc-based titles will be able to obtain digital copies for use on the PSP Go -- "a set number of titles for a set period of time," to be exact. He couldn't confirm all games, or at least all your personal collection, would be transferrable -- that might have to do with the number of digitized games they'll have at launch, which will be at least 300 but not the whole back catalog -- but despite calling it a short-term program he did say, should you receive a new UMD game later down the line, you should still be able to make the digital transfer. As for price, we're still looking to confirm something there, but they wouldn't be putting so much effort into the program if it wasn't at least for a discount, if not free.

If you happen to like your discs, Koller said UMDs aren't going by the wayside so long as the PSP is still around, but he expects digital to start taking an increasing share. Looking to the future, he confirmed all first-party titles and most third-party titles (by the developers' own volition, not a mandate) will be available as digital downloads day and date with the UMD hard copies, and yeah, despite the reduced shipping and manufacturing costs, it'll be for the same price, too."

It's more of a good will program. Not like people can't already make ISO's out of their UMDs... but that's neither here nor there.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/04/sony-working-on-good-will-program-to-give-digital-copies-of-yo/

GPIA7R on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    Oh.
    My.
    God.

I've never played a God of War game, but I think I will now just so I can feel bitter, bitter sadness over not owning a PS3.

BITTER.

Godamn. Nobody does epic scope better than God of War.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    did you see the tiny rats in the cave

that was a nice touch

Nuzak on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, I was all "This really doesn't look much better than the PS2 versions in progressive scan" until I saw that video. Yeah, I'm a bit more impressed now for GOW3.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    why is he stabbing titans? Is he really that angry?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

In case you forgot, his wife and child were murdered. They were murdered. His wife and child were murdered. Murdered. Someone murdered his wife and child. His wife and child. They were murdered. Murdered were his wife and child.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Kratos would punch a box of kittens if sufficiently motivated. Or if he thought they were hiding a stash of red orbs.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If this has been repeated over and over I'm sorry, but I'm too lazy to look back. Is anyone getting a bit of an Ico vibe from that painting. I sorta hate the "team up" sections in Zelda games, but I really loved Ico. More so that Shadow of the Colossus. I'd fully support a Zelda game giving me something similar there.

DigDug2000 on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    thread over 9000, etc

Delzhand on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    If this has been repeated over and over I'm sorry, but I'm too lazy to look back. Is anyone getting a bit of an Ico vibe from that painting. I sorta hate the "team up" sections in Zelda games, but I really loved Ico. More so that Shadow of the Colossus. I'd fully support a Zelda game giving me something similar there.

You mean showing link posing with a mysterious girl dressed in white?

Eh, not really.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gyral wrote: »

Kratos would punch a box of kittens if sufficiently motivated. Or if he thought they were hiding a stash of red orbs.

all red orb crates replaced with boxes of kittens. orphan kittens. Mash x to snap necks!

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

In case you forgot, his wife and child were murdered. They were murdered. His wife and child were murdered. Murdered. Someone murdered his wife and child. His wife and child. They were murdered. Murdered were his wife and child.

One of the best GoW moments is in the PSP game:
    where you find your daughter in the fields of Elysium, and she's trying to hug you, but you have to shove her off and be a dick to make her run away before you slaughter the innocents to get back all your powers to fuck some bitches up.

It was the only GoW game I've played, and man, while I couldn't take it too seriously, it was still hella entertaining.

Houn on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

One of the best GoW moments is in the PSP game:
    where you find your daughter in the fields of Elysium, and she's trying to hug you, but you have to shove her off and be a dick to make her run away before you slaughter the innocents to get back all your powers to fuck some bitches up.

It was the only GoW game I've played, and man, while I couldn't take it too seriously, it was still hella entertaining.

Man, I forgot that was in the PSP one. That was awesome.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    His wife and child weren't just murdered.
    They were murdered by HIM, because Ares made him go Berserk and see them as enemies.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »
    In my own experience with the Zelda series I've come to feeling that the Zelda games are just a way to experience Hyrule, with Link both as hero, protagonist, avatar etc. and also a sort of cameraman. Better world with better immersion and more nice experiences and mysteries = better Zelda game.

I would have never been able to pin point this in my brain, but you just hit the nail on the head. This. someone get this to Miyamoto now.

brokecracker on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    His wife and child weren't just murdered.
    They were murdered by HIM, because Ares made him go Berserk and see them as enemies.

the psp game was heartbreaking
    he wanted to be a father again so bad

but he wasn't allowed

Nuzak on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just saw a 4 player co-op trailer of Lost Planet 2. 4 guys fighting a HUGE monster.

And I thought to myself: Why is Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii?

Because seriously, that LP2 footage was basically Monster Hunter IN SPACE. They should do that.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the style they're going for here shows that this new game will likely have nothing of what made me a fan of (some) Zeldas. In more simple terms, "Do not want!"

I'm disappointed to say the least that they decided to take Zelda in this direction again, but hey, if they want to alienate me, that's their loss. Besides, Spirit Tracks is still out there and I get to save a little money, I suppose.

You like Zelda based on art style?

I thought you may have liked it based on the game.

Sheep on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know if this was posted yet, but I laughed hard.

http://kotaku.com/5279465/bam-there-it-is-kotaku-remix

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the style they're going for here shows that this new game will likely have nothing of what made me a fan of (some) Zeldas. In more simple terms, "Do not want!"

I'm disappointed to say the least that they decided to take Zelda in this direction again, but hey, if they want to alienate me, that's their loss. Besides, Spirit Tracks is still out there and I get to save a little money, I suppose.

You like Zelda based on art style?

I thought you may have liked it based on the game.

And thinking you know what the game will look like based on a painting is ridiculous.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

Sonofa....! I was gonna post that! That beats 'massive damage' meme..... though that ain't saying much.

Big Classy on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pokemon meets Smash TV in the upcoming four-player action-RPG.

The Japanese Pokemon site was updated today with the announcement of a new Pokemon game called Melee! Pokemon Scramble, available exclusively for the WiiWare downloadable service.

Developed by Ambrella (My Pokemon Ranch) and set for release on June 16th in Japan for 1500 Nintendo Points, Melee! Pokemon Scramble is a real-time action-RPG in which players control, collect and battle clockwork Pokemon toys in an epic quest to - you guessed it - become the ultimate Pokemon master.

The player directly controls their chosen Pokemon using the Wiimote held sideways, battling dozens of Pokemon simultaneously in real time. The single-player component starts the player off with a lowly Pokemon which must venture forth into the wild in order to train against wild Pokemon (including some menacing boss fights), capture new Pokemon and earn currency which can be used to upgrade your roster.

Once your Pokemon are strong enough they can be entered in the Battle Royal which pits twelve trainers against each other in a frantic last-man-standing bout. The fun doesn't stop there, either - up to four players can take on the Battle Royal together via local multiplayer in both competitive and co-operative modes. Sheesh!

View the official trailer below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQWdLGvYLW0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwiiware.nintendolife.com%2Fnews%2F2009%2F06%2Fmelee_pokemon_scramble_announced_for_wiiware&feature=player_embedded

http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/news/2009/06/melee_pokemon_scramble_announced_for_wiiware

Zerokku on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So wait that's like Diablo: Pokemon version?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So wait that's like Diablo: Pokemon version?

More like smash bros: pokemon version from my understanding.

Zerokku on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Pokemon meets Smash TV in the upcoming four-player action-RPG.

The Japanese Pokemon site was updated today with the announcement of a new Pokemon game called Melee! Pokemon Scramble, available exclusively for the WiiWare downloadable service.

Developed by Ambrella (My Pokemon Ranch) and set for release on June 16th in Japan for 1500 Nintendo Points, Melee! Pokemon Scramble is a real-time action-RPG in which players control, collect and battle clockwork Pokemon toys in an epic quest to - you guessed it - become the ultimate Pokemon master.

The player directly controls their chosen Pokemon using the Wiimote held sideways, battling dozens of Pokemon simultaneously in real time. The single-player component starts the player off with a lowly Pokemon which must venture forth into the wild in order to train against wild Pokemon (including some menacing boss fights), capture new Pokemon and earn currency which can be used to upgrade your roster.

Once your Pokemon are strong enough they can be entered in the Battle Royal which pits twelve trainers against each other in a frantic last-man-standing bout. The fun doesn't stop there, either - up to four players can take on the Battle Royal together via local multiplayer in both competitive and co-operative modes. Sheesh!

View the official trailer below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQWdLGvYLW0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwiiware.nintendolife.com%2Fnews%2F2009%2F06%2Fmelee_pokemon_scramble_announced_for_wiiware&feature=player_embedded

http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/news/2009/06/melee_pokemon_scramble_announced_for_wiiware

This looks fairly awesome!

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bring back Joel McHale for the next E3. I'm sure he still has a Ryan Seacrest joke or two left up his sleeve.

emnmnme on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It is not. Massive resolution version on Nintendo's E3 PR site.

So you DO like high definition ;)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow! That looks really quite good.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn, that Pokemon Scramble looks like it could be awesome. Just depends on the depth of the combat, and how big the roster is that you can use.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Threepio wrote: »

My iMac has a 24" screen. Of course I do, who wouldn't?

More importantly who said I didn't?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Damnit Nintendo, Link's left handed.

Suck it down, righties.

Only lefties have the stones.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd cut you right now, but my right hand is a bit hurt.

You just wait.

GPIA7R on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Threepio wrote: »

My iMac has a 24" screen. Of course I do, who wouldn't?

More importantly who said I didn't?

It was a joke.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

Well, no. I never did wonder that, but thanks for telling me, Mr. E3 presenter.

Also, Kid Link >>>>>>>>>>>> Adult Link.

I created a My Poll on FaceBook but the My Poll application is so shitty I don't even know if it showed up, and it won't let me even vote on my own poll. But I put up with its shittiness just to get my point out there. That's how strongly I feel. :P

Jasoco on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Bring back Joel McHale for the next E3. I'm sure he still has a Ryan Seacrest joke or two left up his sleeve.

He actually spent most of his time on Conan last night making Seacrest jokes.

Nimble Cat on
This discussion has been closed.