As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Awful smell coming from my AC starting today

UnknownSaintUnknownSaint KasynRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So this is new. This really sweet, heavy smell is coming out of the AC in my apartment starting about this morning. Smells like those old shitty Circus Peanut candy things, just much stronger and not nearly as pleasant.

Didn't rain anytime recently, never had any issues like this with the AC. Any thoughts?

UnknownSaint on

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its probably the coolant that you are smelling.

Is your AC on when it smells?

About how old is your AC?

Window mounted unit?

Does it still work?

Dunadan019 on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Since it all of a sudden came about so strong, I would say it is not mold.
    So say a lil prayer for that.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's the smell of death. Might be the smell of something that has crawled into your ducts and died. Probably a mouse or something like that. Call the maintenance people. Or wait for it to go away.

Kakodaimonos on
  • capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't vouch for what death smells like but my first instinct from the thread title was definitely something dead in the unit.

capnrico on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Its probably the coolant that you are smelling.

Is your AC on when it smells?

About how old is your AC?

Window mounted unit?

Does it still work?

Yeah only when it's on.

Not sure how old it is.

Not a window mounted unit.

Yes it still works great.

UnknownSaint on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Really sweet? I'd guess coolant leak.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited June 2009
    Guhhhh. Turned my AC off for a few hours now, opened windows, cranked up all the fans, shut the vents, and the smell is still just as strong. Can't get my complex to look into it until tomorrow, as the unit is on the roof.

UnknownSaint on
  • ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Had this happen in a car once. It was a dead bat in the ventilation system. They can squeeze into anything.

Reiten on
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do you have any friends prone to practical jokes?

TheRealBadger on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Definately small dead animal in the vent. Not to mention A/C vents/units can be wet places. It's going to grow mold and gods only know WHAT else- disease, mold spores, etc. that's getting pumped into your apartment from this. This is a potential health risk, and needs to be taken care of NOW.

If you want it fixed ASAP, don't say "there's a weird smell coming out of my A/C." That can be blamed on anything from the outside air to anything pungent in your apartment. Instead, say "It smells like there is a dead animal in the A/C vents."

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    edited June 2009
    I'm pretty certain it isn't a dead animal. The AC was on full blast for a while when I was sitting here and then out of nowhere the smell hit pretty strong. Like I said, it's a sweet sort of chemical smell, so I'm believing the people that said it was coolant.

Taped over all the vents, shut the AC off, aired out my apartment all day. It's nearly undetectable now, and I'll have maintenance take a look at it tomorrow morning. (The AC unit is on the roof, so I can't inspect anything myself.)

I'll update as things go along or if I need anything else.

UnknownSaint on