As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[E3 2009 MEGATHREAD] E3 OVER - GO HOME

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Bring back Joel McHale for the next E3. I'm sure he still has a Ryan Seacrest joke or two left up his sleeve.

He actually spent most of his time on Conan last night making Seacrest jokes.

OT, but he genuinely hates Seacrest. My wife and I love watching The Soup and saw McHale live at an NYC comedy club, and he spent the entire set telling us how much he hated every single person on E! It was awesome. :lol:

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Damnit Nintendo, Link's left handed.

Suck it down, righties.

Only lefties have the stones.

yeah man you guys have really cornered the market on fictional elf videogame heroes

tofu on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tofu wrote: »

Suck it down, righties.

yeah man you guys have really cornered the market on fictional elf videogame heroes

ahahahahhahaha

Nuzak on
  • bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »

Suck it down, righties.

ahahahahhahaha

they did have the leftorium...which was a fictional left handed store in a cartoon. +2!

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm Left handed too which makes me sad that Nintendo stupidly mirrored the Link model in Twilight Princess's Wii port. I can understand mirroring the levels, but not the character!

Jasoco on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Link is right handed because most people are right handed so it doesn't feel awkward when you swing the wiimote and have Link swing the opposite hand.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jasoco wrote: »
    I'm Left handed too which makes me sad that Nintendo stupidly mirrored the Link model in Twilight Princess's Wii port. I can understand mirroring the levels, but not the character!
    I imagine they did it so a right handed person wouldn't feel awkward controlling a sword in the left hand...but that just succeeds in alienating the other 10% of us.

We should just be able to choose which hand to use, really.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I imagine they did it so a right handed person wouldn't feel awkward controlling a sword in the left hand...but that just succeeds in alienating the other 10% of us.

We should just be able to choose which hand to use in every game ever made fuck this inequality.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That Pokemon trailer reminded me of every MMORPG ever.

It could actually work. You pick a species and gain moves just like you do in an MMORPG. Chanseys will be highly sought after, but hey, someone's gotta do the dirty jobs.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Considering they had the left handed version of the game built for the GC it was sad to see it wasn't an option for our Southpaw friends.

Even if they should be used as kindling instead.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Before this goes into obscurity forever, I just want to say it was a pleasure insulting everyone at the E3 for their incompetence and lack of ingenuity with you all, even if we had differing views on the particulars. As horrible as the Ubisoft press conference was, kicking the shit out of it here with everyone was still pretty fun.

Thank you and good night. May we see each other next year.

BlackDove on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    three hundred and sixty plus pages

jesus when they put an anchor around this thread the whole forum will sink

Nuzak on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So about E3 as a tradeshow being dead...

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Has this been posted too many times? Seems unlikely.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOI4XJecOc0

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think that can be posted too many times. That really was funny.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I missed the whole ubisoft bit. Which page does it start on?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I missed the whole ubisoft bit. Which page does it start on?

Page 100 for fun times!

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fiziks wrote: »

It's not so much dead as it's a rotten, cigarette-butt-filled shell of its former self.

MKR on
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Fiziks wrote: »

It's not so much dead as it's a rotten, cigarette-butt-filled shell of its former self.

I've been to two of the "old school" E3s. Trust me, it needed to be a bit toned down. Last year was way too far, but seems like this year was juuuuuuust right.

That said, PAX is looking like it'll turn more and more into a true spectacle. At least we all can participate in that!

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I still say that they should do it like leipzig and TGS and make the first few days press only, then open it to the public for the last day or two

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PAX is definitely not the new E3. Its late in the year for new announcements (arguably the new E3 is too). With TGS and E3, PAX is not going to get a new demo build, so theres no purpose for media to be there.

PAX is great, but its a public shindig with a very different purpose than E3.

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited June 2009
    PAX is definitely not the new E3. Its late in the year for new announcements (arguably the new E3 is too). With TGS and E3, PAX is not going to get a new demo build, so theres no purpose for media to be there.

Oh, I completely agree. It's a different purpose. It's not for the media. It's for us, the gamers! To get us interested so that we can go back home and put that pre-order down because we played the demo, got some cool swag, and can't wait till the game comes out.

So there probably will be lots of spectacle, enticing gamers to come their booth. The last times I've been to PAX have reminded me very much of E3 and TGS, just on a smaller scale. But that may change, since PAX seems to be getting bigger and bigger each year.

JCRooks on

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JCRooks wrote: »

Oh, I completely agree. It's a different purpose. It's not for the media. It's for us, the gamers! To get us interested so that we can go back home and put that pre-order down because we played the demo, got some cool swag, and can't wait till the game comes out.

So there probably will be lots of spectacle, enticing gamers to come their booth. The last times I've been to PAX have reminded me very much of E3 and TGS, just on a smaller scale. But that may change, since PAX seems to be getting bigger and bigger each year.

I fear for the year after this one.. They have no more room to expand. It'll be just like before we left the Maydenbourer (Madienhouser? Whatever that place was.) with everyone packed shoulder to shoulder.

Undead Scottsman on
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Well, to be honest, I too hold the Wiimote in my right hand because I can't hold the stick part in my right hand after years of using my left hand for control sticking.

Still, I don't care what the on-screen character looks like. They should have given an option. LEFT HANDED LINK REPRESENT!

Also, it's 182 pages, people! Set your preferences to 50 posts like all other smart people do.

Jasoco on
    edited June 2009

I fear for the year after this one.. They have no more room to expand. It'll be just like before we left the Maydenbourer (Madienhouser? Whatever that place was.) with everyone packed shoulder to shoulder.

I never attended the ones at the Meydenbauer Center, I guess thankfully. I'm guessing at some point, they'll have to restrict attendance and/or booths.

Man, I'm pretty excited for PAX now. :)

JCRooks on

edited June 2009
    The problem is that in order to get right-handed link in there in the first place after having desgined the game with left-handy Link, they had to mirror the entire game. In order for them to switch back and forth, they would have to have the gameworld switch back in forth as well.

Next time they'll hopefully just make two different link models made from scratch instead of shoehorning things in at the last minute.

Undead Scottsman on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

I never attended the ones at the Meydenbauer Center, I guess thankfully. I'm guessing at some point, they'll have to restrict attendance and/or booths.

I missed the final year at hte Meydenbauer, and from what I've read I didn't miss much as it was supposedly too packed to do anything, but the first two years were excellent. Also went to the first year in Seattle and it was excellent, but sadly I missed last years, and likely this years. But at least in 2010 there will be 2 PAXes to choose from, so that should help some with cutting on the crowd, so they should still be fine in Seattle, and really, its not like they have anywhere else to go next.

Still, its amazing how far PAX has come in 5 years.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited June 2009

Year 2 of PAX was pretty good as we had the full center to play around with and not a zillion people. Year 1 we only had like 1/2 the center and it was cramped (I missed that year, but that's what I heard), and year 3 it was ubercramped that we pretty much removed the place as a possible venue.

Undead Scottsman on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    The problem is that in order to get right-handed link in there in the first place after having desgined the game with left-handy Link, they had to mirror the entire game. In order for them to switch back and forth, they would have to have the gameworld switch back in forth as well.

Next time they'll hopefully just make two different link models made from scratch instead of shoehorning things in at the last minute.

Technically you can do a trick and just flip the entire game. There was a cheat for one of the Jak and Daxters that mirrored the screen, and as a result the gameworld.

It's doable to have both the flipped and unflipped game on the same disc (you just change how the game draws and some other things), but Nintendo might not consider it important enough to do, unfortunately.

FyreWulff on
  • SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Technically you can do a trick and just flip the entire game. There was a cheat for one of the Jak and Daxters that mirrored the screen, and as a result the gameworld.

It's doable to have both the flipped and unflipped game on the same disc (you just change how the game draws and some other things), but Nintendo might not consider it important enough to do, unfortunately.

Uncharted has an unlockable mode where it flips the world every time you die to keep things interesting.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Why did the old E3 need to be toned down?

Fizban140 on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Because they let way too much of the general public in to be a real 'press and industry event', so it basically just turned into a big giant clusterfuck with way too many fucking people, with all the companies trying everything they could to get people to look at their booth for whatever reason, including unrelated celebrities, unrelated half naked women (yea yeah I know everyone says this is a good thing - it's not. it's not the adult entertainment expo), and unrelated shitty bands blaring. When I went, there were two booths not 40 feet apart, BOTH had live bands blaring at full volume. It was a shitty experience, it felt like a crappy carnival, and not professional at all. It was a waste of time and money for everyone involved.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »

It became a huge expensive spectacle that started to overshadow the originally intended purpose: to show the stuffy guys in suits why they should put Game X or Console Y on store shelves. It eventually morphed into a giant "Look at me!" spendfest, the most excessive of which would probably be the booth babes. Women in skippy clothing who's entire purpose is soley to get people to look in the direction of whatever game they're hocking.

Ultimately the biggest problem was that it just got so big and loud that it was nearly impossible to be heard over the noise (both literally and figuratively).

Undead Scottsman on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

The Meydenbauer wasn't too bad, except for the very last year there. I was so fucking miserable there that year, I was never going to attend again, until they announced the switch to a new venue.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited June 2009

The Meydenbauer wasn't too bad, except for the very last year there. I was so fucking miserable there that year, I was never going to attend again, until they announced the switch to a new venue.

To be fair, without that unseemly mass of people, All Hail Ball wouldn't have been nearly as cool. Best example of mob mentality I've ever seen that didn't end in tears. (A lot of Awww's when it got stuck near the roof, but no tears)

Undead Scottsman on
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sigh this is why I'm not into gaming anymore that much. Nintendo has finally lost me, I was waiting patiently through all of their (I admit sometimes enjoyable) kiddy stuff and party games hoping that they might in some way address other aspects of gaming... I've been waiting since the fucking gamecube.

At the same time no console seems to be willing to step up to the title of "hit console" correct me if I'm wrong but I feel that no console this gen really has a broad or deep range of interesting titles like the snes, then the ps1 and most recently the ps2 did. Some people might claim that it's to early in the cycle to expect this but I disagree.

Oh well I guess I'll just keep catching up on all the ps2 and psone games I missed...

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
    edited June 2009
    Okay, this is probably a bad idea, but I'm curious. What do you think the HD twins missing exactly?

Undead Scottsman on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Amigu wrote: »
    Sigh this is why I'm not into gaming anymore that much. Nintendo has finally lost me, I was waiting patiently through all of their (I admit sometimes enjoyable) kiddy stuff and party games hoping that they might in some way address other aspects of gaming... I've been waiting since the fucking gamecube.

At the same time no console seems to be willing to step up to the title of "hit console" correct me if I'm wrong but I feel that no console this gen really has a broad or deep range of interesting titles like the snes, then the ps1 and most recently the ps2 did. Some people might claim that it's to early in the cycle to expect this but I disagree.

Oh well I guess I'll just keep catching up on all the ps2 and psone games I missed...

If you can get Iwata to hear you atop his money pile, be sure to ask him to hook me up with a copy of LoZ:TP for the gamecube.

MKR on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The best thing you could get is a DS. Its bascially like some wierd hybrid of an SNES and a N64.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kor wrote: »

The best thing you could get is a DS. Its bascially like some wierd hybrid of an SNES and a N64.

Yeah the DS probably comes closest to having a killer line up. But it can never be a fully fledged console D:

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
This discussion has been closed.