As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

National Dick Winters is the Man Day

1235»

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wren, before we continue this conversation, consider for a moment the fact that you are Wren. Now that you've done that, are you still sure that you're right?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    no pretty sure I'm still correct

consider that you're penguin and you'll come to agree with me

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No Wren, he's right.

I was air assault. 101st. Participated in combat drills against battalions of the 82nd Airborne. With an air assault unit, the birds can close in on a tight LZ in a short formations, dispense troops in a fast and orderly manner, and be gone in under two minutes.

With an airborne drop, units land, with severe risk of injury due to the speeds at which they hit the ground (the chutes they use, they drop fast) and in a very wide dispersion. They spend a significant amount of time recovering the chutes, rescuing troopers who landed poorly or were injured on landing, securing gear, and reforming into proper units. This takes hours.

Weaver on
    edited June 2009
    Plus, in an air assault unit, your formation of blackhawks can fly very low to terrain, under radar, insert, deploy troops, spin around and return quickly to pick up more troops.

Can't do that with C-130's. Why do you think we haven't done airborne drops into warzones in decades except for very small special operations incursions?

Weaver on
    edited June 2009
    Not to mention you can't parachute in on insurgents.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited June 2009
    but people jumping out of planes is still used so saying theres no reason is rather moot

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Now you're arguing semantics in an attempt to technically not be wrong.

Shoo. Go away. Git.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited June 2009
    These are the guys that my unit worked with a lot during training at Ft. Campbell and flew us to the fight in Afghanistan. They were also the unit that inserted several SF teams into occupied Kuwait and Iraq back in Gulf War I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxeiG8IGN1c

Weaver on
    edited June 2009
    Night Stalkers are gangster as fuck.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited June 2009
    if people still jump out of planes how can there be no reason to use them.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Weaver, if you don't mind, I would like to bug you about your experience in the service one of these days.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited June 2009
    1/60th SOAR are the guys you go to when you want a helicopter to do things you never thought you'd want a chopper to do.

They don't operate Apaches or Cobras or anything that would normally be considered a combat helicopter but they will either fuck your shit up themselves or they will place some hard, stone-balled bastards at your back door to do the job themselves.

Weaver on
    edited June 2009
    Weaver, if you don't mind, I would like to bug you about your experience in the service one of these days.

PM me whatever chat client ID you want to use and I'll schedule something.

Weaver on
    edited June 2009
    I like blackhawks because you can have 4 engineers sitting in the passenger seats repairing the thing with their wrenches and you're basically invincible as you camp the enemies spawn point

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What about HALO jumpers?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited June 2009
    halo is pretty good

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    The game or the actual high altitude jumpers

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    edited June 2009
    It's a thing that can be done but is almost never used.

Weaver on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    haha

NotASenator on
    edited June 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    It's a thing that can be done but is almost never used.

almost never is pretty different from never

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Wren, you're not making me angry or distraught, just a bit disappointed.

Weaver on
    edited June 2009
    I'm arguing with penguin anyways. you're just an interactive wiki for the argument

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2009

PM me whatever chat client ID you want to use and I'll schedule something.
    Sure thing.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited June 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    I'm arguing with penguin anyways. you're just an interactive wiki for the argument

a huge reference engine

Weaver on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The United States and Russia maintain the largest airborne drop units don't they?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited June 2009

a huge reference engine

the hugest

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    see this is something normal wiki doesn't have; embedded youtube videos

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    I posting 'Nam videos, 'cause fuck it, these videos are amazing.

Intro to Rescue Dawn

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited June 2009
    I was actually assigned to the 2/187th INF, 101st before they received their first squadron of Apache attack birds. Watching them fly in formation over the unit fields was something I'll never forget.

Weaver on
    edited June 2009
    The 101st is no more right?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    edited June 2009
    You know what? Screw fighting in Khe Sanh.

I does not look pleasurable.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, some of the vietnam interviews are goddamned heartbreaking.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited June 2009
    So I was trying to watch Band of Brothers for the second time, and I got halfway through Carentan before I realized that I was cutting into my right palm with my fingernails. No more war films for me for a while. Should go finish cutting the grass.

Weaver on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Veretas wrote: »

Nno, the 101st is still around. My friend is in the 101st Airborne and just finished Ranger School. They're sending him and his squad to Afghanistan.

Weaver, when were you there? My buddy was 1/187 INF - I don't know if he's still with them now or how that goes, though, since my mailing address for him needs updating.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like blackhawks because you can have 4 engineers sitting in the passenger seats repairing the thing with their wrenches and you're basically invincible as you camp the enemies spawn point

Didn't they patch that out? Or was that just capping points with them that they really badly attempted to patch out?

L|ama on
    edited June 2009
    Veretas wrote: »

Nno, the 101st is still around. My friend is in the 101st Airborne and just finished Ranger School. They're sending him and his squad to Afghanistan.

Weaver, when were you there? My buddy was 1/187 INF - I don't know if he's still with them now or how that goes, though, since my mailing address for him needs updating.

Up until around May of 2002.

Weaver on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought Ospreys pretty much made parachutes obsolete?

Speed of a plane, versatility of a transport chopper.

I think I'm late to this discussion.

Burning Organ on
  • necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    1/60th SOAR are the guys you go to when you want a helicopter to do things you never thought you'd want a chopper to do.

Like actually transport people to the LZ

necroSYS on