As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

XBox 360 - Games On Demand (More Expensive than Retail?!)

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
microsoftxbox360gameson.jpg

So, MS is finally offering digital distribution of full retail games. Good news for those of us with the 120GB drives. :)

Does anyone have a full list of the titles that will be available at launch?

Also just to get a proper discussion started, should MS also offer new games on the service, and if they did, how would retailers react?

Edit: Well the first few titles are now available for those using the new dashboard update, but sadly MS have pretty much shot themselves in the foot by pricing them higher than at retail. :?

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
Zilla360 on

• MgsleeMgslee United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Retailers probably wouldn't care as long as they also got to sell the code to the same effect.

Gamestop on the other hand see's digital distribution as evil for obvious reasons.

I'm glad to see we're starting to see a Steam like service on consoles.

The worry I have is when xbox 3 comes out, all the digital content I bought for the 360 better work on it.

Mgslee on
    Hit me up for SSF4 games! (Xbox Live mgslee)
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It won't work. Most of the people who would be interested in DD bought a 360 early enough to have a 20GB drive and know enough about hard drives to not buy the MS 120GB for $rape.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    It won't work. Most of the people who would be interested in DD bought a 360 early enough to have a 20GB drive and know enough about hard drives to not buy the MS 120GB for $rape.

Tons of people have paid for the 120gig or an Elite. It's almost a necessity nowadays with all the DLC.

I'm pretty sure your knee jerk judgment is very wrong. :winky:

Esh on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Esh wrote: »

Tons of people have paid for the 120gig or an Elite. It's almost a necessity nowadays with all the DLC.
    Not to mention grabbing the 120gb version is more or less the most future proofing you can grab on your 360 for, well, services like this. :P So, there would be more people who would have grabbed a 120gb drive just for people thinking like that.

Hell, I'm part of that boat. I'm just waiting 'til I got a bit of cash to spend on MS's ridiculously overpriced harddrive. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh boy I can't wait to play Sonic 2k6 with no disk!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So when can I buy a 1TB hard drive that works on my 360 so I can make full use of this feature?

And not at Microsoft prices. At the actual price of a 1TB drive.

xzzy on
    edited June 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »

Not to mention grabbing the 120gb version is more or less the most future proofing you can grab on your 360 for, well, services like this. :P So, there would be more people who would have grabbed a 120gb drive just for people thinking like that.

Hell, I'm part of that boat. I'm just waiting 'til I got a bit of cash to spend on MS's ridiculously overpriced harddrive. :P

I grabbed mine used from Gamestop for $100. Seems to be working just fine. Still a bit much for that size of HD, but hey, I don't have any other choice, so whatever.

Esh on
  • MgsleeMgslee United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't have any other choice, so whatever.

Thats pretty much it when it comes to bitching about the HDD.

There isn't any other alternative (that I'm aware of) that won't potentially get your xbox banned from live.

Mgslee on
    Hit me up for SSF4 games! (Xbox Live mgslee)
    edited June 2009
    Mgslee wrote: »
    I don't have any other choice, so whatever.

Thats pretty much it when it comes to bitching about the HDD.

There isn't any other alternative (that I'm aware of) that won't potentially get your xbox banned from live.

And I could be like "Well, I'm going to make a stand and not buy it!", but I have a good job where I make decent money and I really like playing games on my 360. So I don't really bat an eyelash at it.

Although, I won't be buying things D2D unless the price difference is HUGE. I really like owning the physical game. That and I can trade it back in if I feel like it. It's the same reason I don't download music.

Esh on
  • darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would love DD for my 360 games if Microsoft would of gotten the HDDs right from the start, or at all.
    I wont pay $Texas for a 120GB harddrive when a normal 120GB HDD costs like $20.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This has huge potential. It's a shame that the HDD limitations/pricing/banhammering will hold it back.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would love DD for my 360 games if Microsoft would of gotten the HDDs right from the start, or at all.

They cost $50ish new, however a 500GB can be had for $90 new. That's the problem.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited June 2009
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    This has huge potential. It's a shame that the HDD limitations/pricing/banhammering will hold it back.

I honestly think it might increase the sales of the 120gig HDs.

Esh on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    People who pay the ridiculous prices for 360 HDDs and Wifi adaptors genuinely frustrate me. Well done on supporting anti-consumer bs, if this gouging continues I know who to blame. If gamers weren't such pushovers maybe MS would get the message that this pricing is unacceptable.

Moioink on
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    People who pay the ridiculous prices for 360 HDDs and Wifi adaptors genuinely frustrate me. Well done on supporting anti-consumer bs, if this gouging continues I know who to blame. If gamers weren't such pushovers maybe MS would get the message that this pricing is unacceptable.

I don't have any other choice and there is a ton of content on the 360 I want to play. Sorry, but if you really think some grass roots movement protesting against the cost of their components is going to do anything, you're sadly mistaken. I'm not a pushover, I just have a good job and I don't mind paying more to enjoy myself. If I had another option, I'd take it. At the least I bought my HD used. Hopefully that eases your troubled mind.

Esh on
    edited June 2009
    I would really love to see MS adopt an attitude more like Sony's. Implement the standard and let me use whatever HDD/headset/whatever I want.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009

I don't have any other choice and there is a ton of content on the 360 I want to play. Sorry, but if you really think some grass roots movement protesting against the cost of their components is going to do anything, you're sadly mistaken. I'm not a pushover, I just have a good job and I don't mind paying more to enjoy myself. If I had another option, I'd take it. At the least I bought my HD used. Hopefully that eases your troubled mind.
    So aside from laziness what keeps you from deleting DLC you are not using to make room for content that you will actually use?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009

I don't have any other choice and there is a ton of content on the 360 I want to play. Sorry, but if you really think some grass roots movement protesting against the cost of their components is going to do anything, you're sadly mistaken. I'm not a pushover, I just jave a good job and I don't mind paying more to enjoy myself. If I had another option, I'd take it. At the least I bought my HD used. Hopefully that eases your troubled mind.
    So aside from laziness what keeps you from deleting DLC you are not using to make room for content that you will actually use?

Installing full games to the HD, Live Games, and Rock Band songs takes up quite a bit of space. 20, even 60 gigs doesn't cut it. No laziness there.

Esh on
    edited June 2009
    Take up space =/= needs to have in on the HDD right now.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009

I am not mistaken at all. If nobody buys the damn things they will have to stop with the gouging. If people want to legitimise it that's their choice, I'll have no part in it though.
    I would really love to see MS adopt an attitude more like Sony's. Implement the standard and let me use whatever HDD/headset/whatever I want.

For all Sony's 2005-6 arrogance it sure doesn't show with the PS3 design. I love how open that system is.

Moioink on
    edited June 2009

I am not mistaken at all. If nobody buys the damn things they will have to stop with the gouging. If people want to legitimise it that's their choice, I'll have no part in it though.

For all Sony's 2005-6 arrogance it sure doesn't show with the PS3 design. I love how open that system is.

You're right. Take the fight to the streets. Start a campaign. Show them who's the boss.

But if all you're going to do is bitch about it on some forums, then just knock it off. You're not getting anything done.

Esh on
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am with Esh, I bought the 120 gb hard drive despite how terrible the price was. I have so much DLC and I love being able to install games. I think the purchase was worth it and I don't regret it.

Ziac45 on
    edited June 2009
    Take up space =/= needs to have in on the HDD right now.

I'll pay for the convenience to have the games I play on a semi-regular basis installed and ready to go. When I'm done with the things, they do go off. But there's plenty on there right now that I play quite regularly. I also like having extra room should something come along. I have no idea why you're so against this. If you don't like it, play with the tiny HD and stop bitching about the fact that I was willing to pay more.

Esh on
    edited June 2009
    Talking about it here does accomplish something. If I do not buy it I am just one guy with a 20GB. If I help to persuade other folks not to overpay for a HDD then I _am_ accomplishing more than simply abstaining myself.

In conclusion: don't tell me what to do just because you overpaid for a hard drive.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009
    Talking about it here does accomplish something. If I do not buy it I am just one guy with a 20GB. If I help to persuade other folks not to overpay for a HDD then I _am_ accomplishing more than simply abstaining myself.

In conclusion: don't tell me what to do just because you overpaid for a hard drive.

I didn't overpay. Overpaying implies that I had another option. Which I didn't. So, by that standard the price I paid was just fine. It didn't trouble my pocketbook, so I'm not losing any sleep.

And you haven't provided a valid argument against getting it other than "ZOMGZ! I'M CHEAP!". It's a great investment for extending the enjoyment of the 360. It's 2009. $100 is not a lot of money.

Esh on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can afford the 120GB drive, but every time I go to buy it I cringe at my own laziness and put it back on the shelf. A reasonable price would surely see me overcome that.

Although, in Australia, where bandwidth = $rape, this service will probably be more costly than it's worth.

desperaterobots on
    edited June 2009
    Just because $100 is not a lot of money does not mean that $100 is not a lot of money for a 120GB hard drive. By your logic I should pay $5 for a can of soda and $20 for a sub sandwich because in the grand scheme neither $5 nor $20 is a lot of money. Never mind that the individual product is lower than the asking price.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009

You're right. Take the fight to the streets. Start a campaign. Show them who's the boss.

But if all you're going to do is bitch about it on some forums, then just knock it off. You're not getting anything done.

Wow what a stupid reply. :...:

Simply not paying the MS tax on accessories is enough. It's called voting with your wallet. The shenanigans with HDDs was one of the reasons I gave up on the 360 (I had a 20GB which translated to 11GB usable so only enough space for 1 full game install). It's insulting that a 360 60GB HDD costs about as much as a 500GB HDD that is compatible with PS3.

Moioink on
    edited June 2009
    Esh doesn't mind paying a premium for a product.
    jclast thinks no one should pay the premium in order to affect demand and therefore pricing.

One of these people has a realistic view of the Microsoft Corporation.

desperaterobots on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rakai wrote: »

They cost $50ish new, however a 1TB can be had for $90 new. That's the problem.

Fixed that for you because that price is easy enough to get if you watch for it. This is the only reason I'm still using my 20GB drive. I'd LOVE to be able to just download the games onto my drive, but I'll be damned if I'm going to get robbed for a bigger drive. It's not THAT inconvenient to move 10 feet to put a different disc in.
    And you haven't provided a valid argument against getting it other than "ZOMGZ! I'M CHEAP!". It's a great investment for extending the enjoyment of the 360. It's 2009. $100 is not a lot of money.

It may not be to you, but it's significant enough to some of us.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
    edited June 2009

Wow what a stupid reply. :...:

Simply not paying the MS tax on accessories is enough. It's called voting with your wallet. The shenanigans with HDDs was one of the reasons I gave up on the 360 (I had a 20GB which translated to 11GB usable so only enough space for 1 full game install). It's insulting that a 360 60GB HDD costs about as much as a 500GB HDD that is compatible with PS3.

How is it a stupid reply? If you don't like it, do something about it. Otherwise, just be quiet. What's the point?

Esh on
    edited June 2009
    Crashtard wrote: »

Fixed that for you because that price is easy enough to get if you watch for it. This is the only reason I'm still using my 20GB drive. I'd LOVE to be able to just download the games onto my drive, but I'll be damned if I'm going to get robbed for a bigger drive. It's not THAT inconvenient to move 10 feet to put a different disc in.

The 360 is so loud that it's distracting for me to play off the discs. Thus, I always install. Thus, I need the bigger hard drive.

Esh on
    edited June 2009
    He did do something about it. He bought a 500GB HDD for his PS3 to fill it with EXCITING CONTENT*!

*Coming 2012

desperaterobots on
    edited June 2009

The 360 is so loud that it's distracting for me to play off the discs. Thus, I always install. Thus, I need the bigger hard drive.

Really? I don't even notice mine, and I sit barely 10 feet from it.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

$90 will get you 1TB 3.5" drives. 2.5" 1TB drives aren't on the market that I can find.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited June 2009

Really? I don't even notice mine, and I sit barely 10 feet from it.

I like quiet, clean sound and environments.

Esh on
    edited June 2009
    Esh thinks something is loud.
    Crashtard thinks another thing is quiet.

Clearly only one of these subjective experiences holds true for 100% of all humans.

desperaterobots on
    edited June 2009

You have confused need with want. Hell, I have a 20 and managed to find enough room to install a game to it (Civ: Rev got installed for a while because of how often it seems to spin the disc drive up and down).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009
    Do I have to narrate the whole thread, jclast? Why are you telling Esh that his preferences are somehow incorrect?

desperaterobots on
    edited June 2009

$90 will get you 1TB 3.5" drives. 2.5" 1TB drives aren't on the market that I can find.

I've never checked to see what size drive it took. Guess I'm wrong on that one. Seems like there's a saying about assuming something..

Anywho, seems like someone said something about swapping the 20GB HD for a bigger one could get you banned off of live. What difference does it make?

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg