As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New hard drive without reinstalling windows?

fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
I've got a decent laptop with Vista Ultimate on it. I'm happy with it, but the harddrive is small (80gb) and I'd like to increase this.

What I would like to be able to do is buy an external 2.5" drive, copy my C partition to an equivalently sized partition on the new drive, and then swap the new drive from the enclosure to the laptop and swap the laptop drive into the enclosure.

Is this possible? I don't want to have to reinstall everything because I'm lazy.

fshavlak on

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's possible. But how well it goes can vary. That's all I'll say since I'm at the office; I'm sure someone else can elaborate on the whole procedure.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sounds like you want to ghost/clone the drive.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    clonezilla looks promising ...

fshavlak on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    fshavlak wrote: »
    clonezilla looks promising ...

Yeah, clone driving software is the best way to go. I myself use a bartpe boot cd with symantec ghost.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    updated:

Moved my windows installation over to the new drive without any real hitches. When I first tried to boot from the new drive I got a "no bootable media found" error, but using my Vista DVD's recovery/repair option it brought it up no problem.

Installed Fedora 11 (with some issues), now I can dual boot into Fedora and some Windows recovery console thing, but can't get into windows. I'm planning on just doing a windows DVD repair again, but I'm concerned that it'll nuke the bootloader and always boot straight into windows. I guess that wouldn't be that bad of a thing, as I'm not sold on Fedora 11 yet and I'd have the chance to go back to Ubuntu if it does replace the bootloader.

final update: the Vista recovery CD again fixed everything, and didn't even screw with Grub. I guess it wouldn't have mattered if it had, because I wound up installing Ubuntu over Fedora anyway.

fshavlak on