As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAA Episode 3

• The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought the first two were great. Funniest games I've played since The Bard's Tale.

I hope Episode 3 comes out soon... but I also don't want them to rush it. I'd rather the epic amazing continue for as long as possible... but then again, as long as it has Tycho and Gabe in it... I'll be buying it.

The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, I'd expect to hear about Episode 3 before the year's out. How long was it between 1 and 2?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Five months. Which, if they had kept to the 'schedule', we'd have seen Ep.3 released in March. And we still haven't seen a whiff of information about it.

However, Ep.1 released in May of last year. So...

On the other hand, it was also announced in August of 2007...

Whatever is going on, they're definitely not talking about it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • animeguruanimeguru Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    My wife and I are eagerly awaiting the next installment. PAA 1 & 2 were fantastic.

animeguru on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    animeguru wrote: »
    My wife and I are eagerly awaiting the next installment. PAA 1 & 2 were fantastic.

same here

my wife is better than I am =(

Xaquin on
  • SpiderMikeSpiderMike Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hoping for a 3rd Episode. Just finished 2 about 5 mins ago. Hilarious end boss battle, but found the game a lot easier than the last. No matter tho. Still a treat to play.

SpiderMike on
  • toriantorian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    well, on the HH forums a mod finally posted for the first time in three months. Basically he says that having a new CEO was distracting and that's why we haven't heard anything. He implies that work is going forward, but doesn't say anything outright and pretty much says he can't. So, what do you guys think, this guy full of shit?

torian on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ever been on the inside of a game company? Especially one this small?

It's a reasonable explanation. But it shouldn't be considered 'fact' until officially confirmed.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd like them to say something at least. "We have no idea when it will be ready." or "It's Duke Nukem ready." This just leaves me wondering if the whole game has been scraped.

Teburninator on
  • RavenidRavenid Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    May 6th 2009 05:42 am
    I'd like them to say something at least. "We have no idea when it will be ready." or "It's Duke Nukem ready." This just leaves me wondering if the whole game has been scraped.

May 6th 12:27pm - 3dRealms announce they are shuttting down due to lack of funding.o_O

Ravenid on
    banner_en.gif

Regardless of what site you're on, you're still on the internet. There will always be retards - ThisGuy
    edited May 2009
    Ravenid wrote: »
    May 6th 2009 05:42 am

May 6th 12:27pm - 3dRealms announce they are shuttting down due to lack of funding.o_O

So, what are you saying that HH now has eleven and a half more years of saying "we're working on it" and release a couple screenshots every five years or so and then they will shut down. 3D realms has nothing ot do with PAA 3.

torian on
    edited May 2009
    Yes that is what I'm saying. Hot Head has eleven and a half more years of saying "we're working on it".. etc. To paraphrase a quote from some movie "Torian, you truly are the king of kings!" Or by that statement I could have meant they were saying "it is not coming out anytime soon." Either one would suffice.

Teburninator on
    edited May 2009
    Teburninator, sorry if it looked like I was responding to you. I was actually responding to Ravenid. The whole being bummed out about 3D realms thing pisses me off.

torian on
    edited May 2009
    No worries. But you still are "the king of kings!" "Hail to the king, baby!" -Duke Nukem

Teburninator on
  • OridoodleOridoodle Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    Ok, judging from the amount of "returning characters" in the PA, and all of the great characters that died in the fruit fucker attack
    (Mime doctor, Urinologist, robot doctor, the original FF creator, and the gigantic FF itself) (Also, Charles, although I'm not entirely sure he's dead.)
    I think we can expect to see quite a few new environments and people in the third episode. I would guess that Dr. Blood will become the next Villain, and that he will somehow awaken a Deepcrow (the third God?) (since that was foreshadowed in the beginning of Episode 2, just as the crazy asylum was foreshadowed in the first)
    I was awfully sad to see the last of the fruitF***ers, so I hope they come back for an encore.
    This is a big guess, but judging from the text in the very first episode I think the narrator will be the fourth God.
    I am spoilering to be polite. I think this because on of the first things the Narrator says to you sounds like it comes straight from the Necrowombicon. "Bog Ramun"

Oridoodle on
  • IcedhopeIcedhope Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I must say this ep.3 will be out they will probably have some word of it at PAX09, and as for 3D realms, maybe someone else will pick up DNF(It's a highhope,that will probably crash and burn.) I mean, they're popular, so I don't see why they wouldn't make it and have it out, or maybe this whole economy thing is starting to affect the Gaming industry.

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I'd say if there isn't some word of it by PAX, then there's a problem.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say if there isn't some word of it by PAX, then there's a problem.

I agree they will probably announce something by PAX however that still leaves me a tad peeved. Other game companies will announce that their game has been postponed or will be coming out early and their fans will react with praise or boos. This company, it seems, wants to leave us in the dark so that they don't have to hear us complain about a later release date. Its like they rather just keep us wondering. Or maybe they don't like to face the truth about where they stand with the project.

Heh /end rant

Cheers to the eventual release of this awesome game!:lol:

Teburninator on
  • GillesGilles Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hothead did comment on it on their own forums:
    http://www.hotheadgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=182

Gilles on
    edited May 2009
    That's a non-comment comment.

'We're doing stuff.'
    'What stuff?'
    'Stuff.'

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • HH JoelHH Joel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    torian wrote: »
    well, on the HH forums a mod finally posted for the first time in three months. Basically he says that having a new CEO was distracting and that's why we haven't heard anything. He implies that work is going forward, but doesn't say anything outright and pretty much says he can't. So, what do you guys think, this guy full of shit?

Well that guy was me, and I make every effort not to be full of shit. :)

I will say sorry for the radio silence lately though. There's not really anything nefarious behind it. Basically with the gazillion hats many of us end up wearing in a small studio, keeping up-to-date with all the goings on on the various forums has slipped lately. We still read all the comments and feedback and love hearing it. And we're glad you're looking forward to the next episode.

Last year we were pretty singularly focused on getting Episode One and Two out. This year sees a whole bunch more on our plate: we're in full swing on DeathSpank and are working on getting Swarm off the ground as well. And we spent a bunch of time hiring a new boss! (http://www.hotheadgames.com/blog/?p=105).

We don't have anything new to say on Episode Three right now, but I wanted to at least poke my head up and make sure you knew Hothead hadn't fallen into the sea.

Cheers,
    Joel

HH Joel on
    edited May 2009
    Well, that's a relief. But you guys ARE going to get Ep. 3 out eventually, right?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChokeholdChokehold Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Well, that's a relief. But you guys ARE going to get Ep. 3 out eventually, right?

For all it's worth, I second this question.

Chokehold on
  • UlquioraUlquiora Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    well, whenever it comes out, I hope it comes out soon. I beat all of ep 2 a few weeks ago, and I really wanna see what was up with that ending!!!! Will Dr. Darktalon Blood come into the mainframe? Who will be the next dark god that needs defeating? And how will we upgrade our weapons with no more fruit fuckers to destroy?!?!?!?

The world may never know, but i really hope this game comes out soon.:lol:

Ulquiora on
  • darthwigglesdarthwiggles Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    I have registered to pose one question, and one question alone:

When will we see Jim Darkmagic in PAA? My preference lies somewhere between "soon" and "immediately".

darthwiggles on
    edited May 2009
    I hope it's soon, and I am awating the arivial of the deepcrow.

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
    edited May 2009
    I have registered to pose one question, and one question alone:

When will we see Jim Darkmagic in PAA? My preference lies somewhere between "soon" and "immediately".

Man it'd be weird seeing Jim Darkmagic in PAA. Its like Gabe who is Mike, who also plays Jim, they're interacting...and Tycho is there and is like sup. It is breaking the 4th wall...of something I tells ya!

Teburninator on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jim Darkmagic wouldn't fit in that world. Besides, aren't the DnD characters owned by Wizards anyway?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PAA Ep 3 and HL2 Ep 3 = the same game?

Both are highly anticipated by their fanbase
    Both are the 3rd episode
    Both have melee weapons
    Both have guns
    Both have swarms of mindless enemies (zombies/hobos)
    Both have support charecters
    Both have a main character with a name starting with the letter "G"
    Both are in almost total media blackouts

The similarities are astounding!!!

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    akeso wrote: »
    PAA Ep 3 and HL2 Ep 3 = the same game?

Both are highly anticipated by their fanbase
    Both are the 3rd episode
    Both have melee weapons
    Both have guns
    Both have swarms of mindless enemies (zombies/hobos)
    Both have support charecters
    Both have a main character with a name starting with the letter "G"
    Both are in almost total media blackouts

The similarities are astounding!!!

You know, I also noticed a problem with three's Sam and Max season 3 is also in a blackout.

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
  • xbskidxbskid Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    You know, I also noticed a problem with three's Sam and Max season 3 is also in a blackout.

I didn't think Sam & Max Season 3 had even been announced.

xbskid on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, the guys directly responsible on the team for Sam and Max are working on the new Monkey's Island if I am not mistaken.

Shens on
  • SpEnTBoYSpEnTBoY Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm beginning to wonder at what point people will completely lose interest :( ... even SOME info would be better than "we're still here" ... like ... are you working on the game episodes or focusing on other projects only? I used to watch and keep an eye on this almost daily, now I just poke in once a month or so to see if anything has changed. My son was the one who actually started asking questions again so I thought I'd come look again. I hope this doesn't get stale to the point that any activity on new ep's for PAA stops and the story goes left untold :(

SpEnTBoY on
  • ChokeholdChokehold Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SpEnTBoY wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder at what point people will completely lose interest :( ... even SOME info would be better than "we're still here" ... like ... are you working on the game episodes or focusing on other projects only? I used to watch and keep an eye on this almost daily, now I just poke in once a month or so to see if anything has changed. My son was the one who actually started asking questions again so I thought I'd come look again. I hope this doesn't get stale to the point that any activity on new ep's for PAA stops and the story goes left untold :(

Same goes for me. I used to go here at least a few times a week, pretty much any morning when I got to work, and so forth. Now, it's more like once every two weeks, in hope of more news.
    Either way, a "we're still here" every now and then is good enough, but to an extent.
    How far along is the episode? Anyone can understand if there are other projects with higher priority and whatever other reason, all we (I) ask (humbly) is that HH log on here every once in a while and update us that hunger for this story to unfold.

Chokehold on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would like to see something at PAX. If it's not there I guarantee it'll be one of the first questions asked at the panel.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ya hopefully we get some clue on this soon.

Artoria on
  • Archer006Archer006 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I tried to get my good Arcade game fix with Wallace and Gromit...beat it in about an hour and a half. IT was nothing like the Penny Arcade Adventures. I hope we get an announcement or demo at PAX. I am going and that would be the icing on the cake

Archer006 on
    Who Dares, Wins"

52222_5.png
  • Owen EdwardsOwen Edwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joel, whilst I can commend your post for not being full of shit in one sense - I assume you weren't lying on any particular - I'm afraid, no offence intended, I fear it's full of shit on another basis. You intentionally avoided saying anything about PAA3, including whether or not ANYONE was working on it, or if you had ANY idea as to when it MIGHT be released. You literally said HH still existed, and nothing more.

Not really good enough. I know it's not your personal fault, but please, there's no point in posting empty guff and pretending like it's an answer to our concerns.

Owen Edwards on
  • FoxeyFoxey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The disappointing thing is that PAX is till over 2 months away, which makes it almost, if not over, a year.

I cry because the first were so much fun and the waiting and not knowing is the hardest to bear. I'd play through the first two again, but they would just end up making me sad because then I'd have no three to play afterwards.

Foxey on
    edited June 2009
    The problem is probably in no small part, the number of sales the first two generated. I can't say on other platforms, but on the 360, the number of people who played enough to get achievements tracked by the XBL service was half as many on Ep.2 as the first one.

There might have been new concerns that releasing Ep. 2 so close to the first one hurt its sales because some people might have been (and continue to be) confused that it is, in fact, a separate title. Price may also still be a significant barrier of entry, and a potential miscalculation on the size of the buying audience as well.

I expect they're still committed to the project. But Hot Head may have taken the opportunities PAA provided and began to focus a little more on other, more potentially rewarding titles financially speaking, and slow down the development of PAA altogether.

Santa Claustrophobia on