As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DDO] D&D Online now free to play!

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
Sounds like we're playing on the Cannith server.
Current list of officers/leader:

Kanen
Morkath
Ilhidrin
Tajune
Kaylan
Kristopf
Reynna
Shale

Undead Scottsman on

• JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I played the DDO trial when it first came out and was impressed and discouraged at the same time. I wasn't big on all of the instanced areas. I'm looking forward to checking it out after 3 or so years of development.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    2623.jpg

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I played DDO during the beta and thought it was good, but not good enough to pay for.

Now that it'll be free: SOLD!

citizen059 on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Isn't neverwinter destroyed ?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I tried to like DDO, I really did, and it certainly has a lot going for it. But I just could NOT get past just how gay the whole Eberron setting is. Why? Why?! With Forgotten Realsm being so good, why would you create a massive fag-fest like Eberron?

Behumat on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The FR rights were probably too expensive and someone (coughbiowarecough) probably has an exclusive deal

Robman on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Behumat wrote: »
    I tried to like DDO, I really did, and it certainly has a lot going for it. But I just could NOT get past just how gay the whole Eberron setting is. Why? Why?! With Forgotten Realsm being so good, why would you create a massive fag-fest like Eberron?
    Because Forgotten Realms was a terrible setting?

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited June 2009

Turn around, walk away, never come back.

Robman on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

At least when compared to Eberron. It's also waaaaaay too inundated with canon characters and events to really let a story told their via MMO flow very well at all.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited June 2009
    Just saying.

I liked the level of detail on everything. But with the legions of horrible, insanely powerful mary sue characters that ended up being added to the setting over the years pretty much took away from anything done by PC's.

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

At least when compared to Eberron. It's also waaaaaay too inundated with canon characters and events to really let a story told their via MMO flow very well at all.

One could say that being inundated with canon characters is a good thing, provided the MMO people are given liberty to kill off major players as raid bosses and such.

Who wouldn't want to beat Elminister after he goes hurf hurf i've gone crazy and been corrupted please beat me for loot hurf hurf.

Robman on
    edited June 2009
    Come to think of it, FR would be the perfect setting for an MMO if all the major magic characters got together and got corrupted by some burst of evil taint, setting the scene for the players to go forth and conquer the lands and carve new legends etc etc.

But good luck getting WotC to allow major change to their flagship IP for DnD

Robman on
    edited June 2009
    They already killed most of them off, anyway.

Hmmm.....

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited June 2009
    Blizzard is working on a next gen MMO

Hmmm....

Robman on
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »

One could say that being inundated with canon characters is a good thing, provided the MMO people are given liberty to kill off major players as raid bosses and such.

Who wouldn't want to beat Elminister after he goes hurf hurf i've gone crazy and been corrupted please beat me for loot hurf hurf.
    Except that you WON'T kill Elminster, just like you won't kill Drizzt or any of the Chosen of Mystra or anyone else with a first or last name.

FR canon is too hardwired to allow those characters to be raid bosses that got beat down by every random, historyless PC that got to the appropriate level. If Elminster gets his ass kicked, it's in the history books. At best, they'd be questgivers, and then you get to ask why your 3rd level PC is better at collecting orc ears than Drizzt.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So did they ever revert the terrible rules changes in D&DO? Close to the end of the beta, they just jacked up everything's HP and made it so only fighters could land hits after 3-4 levels. Oh, and did they ever randomize trap placement? The game was terrible when one player in the group know where everything was. I'll always be disappointed that I was a founder for D&DO and not a good game. D:

At least locking Warforged to subscribers only will make the game more bearable. Ever had to deal with a Warforged Barbarian in the group, you're a Cleric, and there's no arcane classes on hand? For those that don't know, Warforged DR and Barbarian DR didn't stack, and your AC drops like a rock when you rage. And Warforged Barbarians love to rage when they see a giant pack of kobolds.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just saying.

I liked the level of detail on everything. But with the legions of horrible, insanely powerful mary sue characters that ended up being added to the setting over the years pretty much took away from anything done by PC's.

:^:

This is the reason why none of my friends who DM run FR campaigns.

Havelock on
    edited June 2009
    Havelock wrote: »
    Just saying.

:^:

This is the reason why none of my friends who DM run FR campaigns.

I'm running one now, but only because I inherited it. I may force convert it to Eberron in a month.

OptimusZed on

edited June 2009
    The other reason why we never run FR campaigns is that the PCs would spend too much time hunting down and trying to kill the mary sue characters, as opposed to, you know, actually playing the campaign.

Though, that would be a fun campaign. Hunt down and kill every notable character in FR...

Havelock on
    edited June 2009
    So, what was the point of DDO, other than an attempt to jump on the MMO cash cow?

Like, what could it offer that a regular PnP game of D&D could not offer?

Havelock on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i'd be down with this D&D online thing, might be fun for a change of pace.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited June 2009
    Havelock wrote: »
    So, what was the point of DDO, other than an attempt to jump on the MMO cash cow?

Like, what could it offer that a regular PnP game of D&D could not offer?

It was basically NWN with a shared city, mail, an AH and far more boring stories/dungeons

Robman on
    edited June 2009
    Good thing it's free now, eh?

Havelock on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »

Turn around, walk away, never come back.

No, I'm afraid he's right. When you strip away the nostalgia, Forgotten Realms isn't that great. I mean, I think Eberron's worse, personally, but that doesn't magically make Forgotten Realms better.

Undead Scottsman on
  • mrwakkamrwakka Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I played DDO for awhile years ago, it had 2 major high points for me.

First of all the big dungeons, such as shan-to-kor, waterworks and other relatively lowbie dungeons are quite good and frankly amazing when compared to most other mmo dungeons. I have played alot of MMO's and i was blown away the first time i ran STK.

In terms of story, well, its a mmo... based on eberron... so yeah, not its high point.

Secondly, it had this: Otto's Resistible Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wzZZW8jbLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xugPIQDWvo

Aside from that it had a lack of content early on and the forced grouping was a pain, i'll be giving it another try though, it was good enough for a second look once it is free.

mrwakka on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was in the DDO beta for the longest time. I wonder if my account can still be applied. Maybe I should give them a ring.

Lucky Cynic on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Going to try this out :)

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I have it on good authority from a Turbine person that the Eberron setting was a "take it or leave it" situation.

I stopped playing DDO when my friends did, but I have to admit I loved the way the dungeons worked. The first time I got blinded, I was stunned. My screen was actually blacked out, and my friends led me through the dungeon via TS. Traps are absolutely killers, you NEED a rogue or an overabundance of healing in order to make it through even the average level dungeons without taking a retarded amount of damage.

Flame Strike was everything I needed from life.

The downfall of DDO was that at the time it was strictly party based. Some solo stuff has been added from what I understand, but I don't know how accessible it is, and how reliable it is for someone to level solo.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heh, the level cap is STILL sub-20, though that's going to finally be addressed with the next patch apparently.

And then, on to EPIC LEVELS! (Or a dead MMO)

Undead Scottsman on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, totally giving this a shot. I played the beta way back when and really liked it, but as has been mentioned, it felt too highly instanced and not really MMO-like.

Echo on
    edited June 2009
    Heh, the level cap is STILL sub-20, though that's going to finally be addressed with the next patch apparently.

And then, on to EPIC LEVELS! (Or a dead MMO)

Probably a dead MMO unless they get enough $$$ from micro transactions.

How big or small is the current ddo community to make them go F2P?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vatoreusvatoreus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can someone please tell me how the Eberron setting is terrible? I mean, it's a High Fantasy, Steam/Magic-punk-esque setting w/ some pretty sweet things going on. I just never understood the hate. Is it just fervent, fanboisms that jerk off to Drizzt and the other "lol-i-never-die" power characters in the FR setting? FR was bland as shit once you stepped back from their power players.

vatoreus on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    FR always seemed so horribly designed to me. "Hey, we need a country of pseudo-samurais. Where's a blank spot on the map?"

Echo on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FR always seemed to me like really otherworldly. Like you'd be walking along and "Oh look, its raining angels today..." or go into a mysterious old cave and it's riddled with demons in place of gold ole lizardmen...

Lucky Cynic on
  • BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    FR always seemed so horribly designed to me. "Hey, we need a country of pseudo-samurais. Where's a blank spot on the map?"

Well of course, how else are you going to have a war with a nation of pseudo-ninjas?

Behumat on
    edited June 2009
    vatoreus wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me how the Eberron setting is terrible? I mean, it's a High Fantasy, Steam/Magic-punk-esque setting w/ some pretty sweet things going on. I just never understood the hate. Is it just fervent, fanboisms that jerk off to Drizzt and the other "lol-i-never-die" power characters in the FR setting? FR was bland as shit once you stepped back from their power players.

Well, lets just say that people don't like change.
    And yeah those Drizzt fanboys are another.

Eberron is underrated
    FR is overrated

Potential Wise, Ebr > FR

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One thing that would have gone a long way to making DDO more enjoyable is if the trap layout in dungeons was randomized, or at least had a number of "presets" so groups wouldn't know where every trap was after one run.

Also I would love to play a DnD MMO or hell even a single player game set during the Time of Troubles.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited June 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    vatoreus wrote: »

Well, lets just say that people don't like change.
    And yeah those Drizzt fanboys are another.

Eberron is underrated
    FR is overrated

Potential Wise, Ebr > FR

Who the fuck actually plays with those big name NPCs doing more then handing out quests

FR = massive, very detailed world with tons of globe-trotting adventuring fun
    Ebr = srs bsns

Robman on
  • widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

One word.

Waterdeep.

All you need to know. Massive city where most of the canon characters do not live where *everyone* from across the FR world comes to trade.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
    edited June 2009
    Why are they handing out quests to you when they could solve every single problem they're having with a literal wave of the hand?

Der Waffle Mous on
This discussion has been closed.