As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Thread!

• werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ugh. Spoiler image from 63 next week.
    11980730.jpg
    I've got to be honest, I love the book but the gore is moving beyond gratuitous. I'm starting to feel that people might see me reading this and wonder what the hell is wrong with me.

werehippy on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know what you mean; it's sort of weird to look back at the first issues, e.g. Omni Man's slaughter of his team, and realize how understated they were by comparison.

mattharvest on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good thing he didn't get punched in his future-seeing eye.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I assume that Omni Man and Allen show up at the last minute, those two (especially Allen now) could probably deal with Conquest.

Venkman90 on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I doubt it. I think they've got a date with that Space Rider fella.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    I assume that Omni Man and Allen show up at the last minute, those two (especially Allen now) could probably deal with Conquest.

So, correct me if I'm wrong (and remember I'm trade-waiting), but couldn't they reach virtually unlimited power levels by just fighting constantly? Omni Man would get to push himself further and further, while Allen would keep getting stronger every time he regenerates, right?

mattharvest on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, correct me if I'm wrong (and remember I'm trade-waiting), but couldn't they reach virtually unlimited power levels by just fighting constantly? Omni Man would get to push himself further and further, while Allen would keep getting stronger every time he regenerates, right?

Isn't that how it worked for the saiyen's in DBZ? i always saw that as a lame excuse to keep on taking the musclebulging the rediculous levels.

think i'll be doing an invincible reread marathon after i finish my college work in a day or two.. I'll see if it gets mentioned...

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited June 2009

Isn't that how it worked for the saiyen's in DBZ? i always saw that as a lame excuse to keep on taking the musclebulging the rediculous levels.

think i'll be doing an invincible reread marathon after i finish my college work in a day or two.. I'll see if it gets mentioned...

Yeah, they're each half of a saiyan. In DBZ, Saiyans could just train, or they could get beaten within an inch of their life. In Invincible, I think the beating to near-death only helps Allen, right?

mattharvest on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah, he's like a human bone, when you break them, they grow back stronger. I think the viltrumites just stronger through training, not injury.

What's all this seeing the future Jazz? I've only read up to Ultimate Collection 4, but i'm too impatient to not read spoilers.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know what you mean; it's sort of weird to look back at the first issues, e.g. Omni Man's slaughter of his team, and realize how understated they were by comparison.

So a friend of mine had me read the first trade and it was alright. Does it get significantly better? Is there any difference besides the gore? I haven't decided if I really care about the characters. Same with Walking Dead. I didn't find anything necessarily bad about it, but I wasn't dying to get a hold of the next trade/hardcover.

I think Alan Moore has ruined my ability to enjoy most comics.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited June 2009

So a friend of mine had me read the first trade and it was alright. Does it get significantly better? Is there any difference besides the gore? I haven't decided if I really care about the characters. Same with Walking Dead. I didn't find anything necessarily bad about it, but I wasn't dying to get a hold of the next trade/hardcover.

I think Alan Moore has ruined my ability to enjoy most comics.

Oh it's a wonderful comic, and I highly recommend sticking it out. Part of its greatness is that, as it's wholly creator-owned, and there's one writer across the whole thing, storylines organically emerge and develop over a much more reasonable stretch of time.

For example, without spoiling anything, the current plotline regarding a major villain involves a character from the first trade, if I remember correctly.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2009
    Image's September 2009 Solicitations

invincible_ultcoll_v5_cov.jpg
    INVINCIBLE: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION, VOL. 5 HC
    story ROBERT KIRKMAN
    art & cover by RYAN OTTLEY & FCO PLASCENCIA
    SEPTEMBER 23
    336 PAGES / FC
    $34.99

Witness Invincible's transition from new hero just starting out to an established superhero! This volume collects Invincible's confrontation with Cecil Steadman, the return of the Reanimen and the beginning of a bold new era for Invincible!

Collects INVINCIBLE #49-60

invincible_cov66.jpg
    INVINCIBLE #66
    story ROBERT KIRKMAN
    art & cover by CORY WALKER & FCO PLASCENCIA
    SEPTEMBER 23
    32 PAGES / FC
    $2.99

"PREPARATIONS FOR WAR," Part One
    Artist CORY WALKER returns to the series he co-created! After escaping from a Viltrumite Prison, Nolan Grayson and Allen the Alien must use what they've learned to gather the powers of the universe and unite them against the Viltumites. It all starts here, folks: The Viltrumite War looms large on the horizon!

KyleWPeterson on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    About those hardcovers, I've heard some complaints about the paper quality. Too thin is what I always hear. And if I'm honest I think 35 bucks is a bit much since the trades are around 15 each, give or take a few dollars.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited June 2009
    The paper is a bit thin but Ottley's art looks great over-sized. Plus, since issues 50 and 60 had twice the page count, it's actually more like 35 bucks for fifteen comics instead of twelve. And there is usually a really good amount of fun, bonus content in the back.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    I was a bit torn about getting the trades over the hardcovers due to reading the first 5 volumes in Absolute format but I'm used to the size difference now. And thankfully all the awesome extra content is in the trades as well.

Oh yeah is there a street date for volume 11 yet?

wirehead26 on
    edited June 2009
    Well, also keep in mind that if you order it from Amazon you save over ten bucks on it.

As far as the volume 11 trade goes, Kirkmania says it's solicited for the month of July.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    Oh I know about all the good deals I can get on Amazon but my comic shop gives me a 20% discount on anything I buy so I usually remain loyal to them. I actually got into Invincible due to the very cool owner charging me only $90 for the Absolute edition.

wirehead26 on
    edited June 2009
    KyleWPeterson on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    shit, that stuff looks brutal.. Just compare it to the invincible in your sig :D
    but still, the preview looked descent enough, can't wait for the next issue to come out...

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited June 2009
    Image: Invincible #63 to be "Super Popular"

NEW ISSUE OF INVINCIBLE TO BE SUPER POPULAR AND BELOVED FOR VAGUE, CRYPTIC REASONS!
    Something might be happening in INVINCIBLE #63 and whatever it is will quite possibly be rather amazing!

16 June 2009 (Berkeley, CA) - In an unprecedented move, writer Robert Kirkman and illustrator Ryan Ottley have made a cryptic, semi-confident promise that INVINCIBLE #63 might be kind of a big deal for reasons they wouldn't say and plan to back it up with a special Wednesday shipment direct to comic shops!

"All I'm saying is INVINCIBLE #63 reorders should be double or triple over all retailer's orders combined plus fifty thousand," Kirkman stated. "I even heard President Barack Obama might call a press conference to discuss the contents of this very special issue, because there may be something of national interest in there. Also, every newspaper ever could possibly make it a front page story. Who knows?! All I can say for sure is every single human being on the planet, regardless of whether they read comics or even know what they are, will definitely be extremely interested in this issue, maybe even enough to buy a copy!"

INVINCIBLE #63 might even possibly be the biggest comic book event of all time, up there with The Death of Superman, The Death of Captain America, The Entirety of the Early Nineties and Action Comics #1! The only certainty is everyone must place a ridiculously massive order for a non-returnable product they may or may not make a profit on sometime in the near future. Or never. Don't ask - just buy it! You trust us, right?

Added Image Comics Publisher Eric Stephenson, "There's a chance this could very possibly an event of undetermined importance, both for comics fans and people of all walks of life, with only the most passing familiarity with comic books, or even books, period. We can't really say what happens in this issue, but trust, something does happen. And it might even be something interesting. Best not to jinx it, though, so let's just go with, 'Something happens.' It's somewhat likely a number of people we have yet to identify will want one. "

INVINCIBLE #63 (APR090384), a 32-page full color comic book easily worth around $500, but costing only $2.99, will be in stores June 17th, 2009.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh look a bloody cover of Invincible. What a shocking and completely surprising development.

Bloods End on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I like that Kirkman's not content with just burning bridges with Marvel. No, the dude tracks down the guy who built the bridge, kills him, and then burns his house down.

Munch on
  • ZybulZybul Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is it just me, or was anyone else sort of turned off by the way Cecil was acting in the last trade (he reminded me of Mack from Indy IV with the attitude/mood swings)? o_O I mean, I know Kirkman's shadowed things in the previous trades (Reanimen), but it just seeemed... off. I've got to admit, it took Kirkman 10 + trades to get me to that "Eh, maybe things have run their course" feeling with Invincible. I was once super enthusiastic about the series, and would/will still buy more trades, but the last one did leave me with a tad bit of trepidation of where the title is headed. The Invincible War certainly sounds interesting so I'll stick around for that.

Also, Tom Selleck totally should be Nolan if they ever make an Invincible movie.

Zybul on
    edited June 2009
    Problem with an Invincible movie is the universe it exists in, you couldn't "dark it up" ala X-men by losing the costumes, they are a big part of the story, there are far too many heroes for them all to be in black. It seem pretty campy at times and that works well in the context of a comic, an animated series ala JLU would be good though.

Venkman90 on
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Couldn't the funeral pictured in the solicit just be for
    Rex?

If he kills off
    Eve
    I'd be grossly disappointed.

Tylerbroor on
  • ZybulZybul Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Problem with an Invincible movie is the universe it exists in, you couldn't "dark it up" ala X-men by losing the costumes, they are a big part of the story, there are far too many heroes for them all to be in black. It seem pretty campy at times and that works well in the context of a comic, an animated series ala JLU would be good though.

I think if (if) they pulled the right threads together an Invincible movie could work, but you're right about an animated series being quite a bit easier to pull off.
    Tylerbroor wrote: »
    Couldn't the funeral pictured in the solicit just be for
    Rex?

That was one of my first thoughts, although I am curious about
    The Man in the back being Nolan
    as it makes me think
    it could be Debbie.
    and would explain
    Ollie's expression as being more genuine then forced.

Zybul on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think that an Invincible movie would work if you started with the light and campy stuff with Mark fighting crime with Eve and the gang and then making the world progressively darker, starting with the murder of the Guardians of the Globe and building up to Marks fight with his dad as the climax of the film.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Just picked up 63.

Big spoiler.
    Oliver got his face rearranged, and his arm utterly dislocated. Conquest killed the shit out of Eve, and Mark didn't kill him in the issue.

Kind of whack. Still good though, I guess.

I bet 5$ that next issue
    Omni-Man and Allen are going to come back and deal with Conquest, even though I wish Mark could do it.

Tylerbroor on
  • Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spoilers on #63
    Kirkman knows how to really kill a character. It broke my heart to see Eve so brutalized. And, really, I'm somewhat disappointed that he went the route of, once again, murdering the hero's girlfriend.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
    edited June 2009
    RE: #63
    I have a feeling that won't be the end for Eve.

KyleWPeterson on
  • thisonekidmongothisonekidmongo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    #63!
    Wow. I'm actually sort of depressed after this issue. I usually think the violence in this book is needlessly over the top way too often, but it was used effectively here. That really is how a fight would go down between Eve and someone like Conquest--pathetically quick and shockingly brutal. Someone who can dominate Mark like that would completely pulp Eve's face in one punch, and that's exactly what happened. There was none of the convenient durability that all superheroes, even non-invulnerable ones, always seem to manifest when hit by someone infinitely stronger than them. Two hits and just like that, one of my favorite characters is gone.

When someone dies in DC or Marvel, I'm at most mildly annoyed because I know it's just a matter of time till they're revived. But here, being a creator-owned property, the death seems much more likely to stick. And even if Eve is brought back, I'd be conflicted, because it was such an effective death, and I'd hate for that to be trivialized.

Ugh. A comic hasn't made me felt like this since the end of the prison storyline in Walking Dead. Goddamn Kirkman.

thisonekidmongo on
    edited June 2009
    #63!
    Wow. I'm actually sort of depressed after this issue. I usually think the violence in this book is needlessly over the top way too often, but it was used effectively here. That really is how a fight would go down between Eve and someone like Conquest--pathetically quick and shockingly brutal. Someone who can dominate Mark like that would completely pulp Eve's face in one punch, and that's exactly what happened. There was none of the convenient durability that all superheroes, even non-invulnerable ones, always seem to manifest when hit by someone infinitely stronger than them. Two hits and just like that, one of my favorite characters is gone.

When someone dies in DC or Marvel, I'm at most mildly annoyed because I know it's just a matter of time till they're revived. But here, being a creator-owned property, the death seems much more likely to stick. And even if Eve is brought back, I'd be conflicted, because it was such an effective death, and I'd hate for that to be trivialized.

Ugh. A comic hasn't made me felt like this since the end of the prison storyline in Walking Dead. Goddamn Kirkman.
    I have not seen it yet, but isn't the nature of Eve's powers so that she could turn him into a puppy if she wanted? she can make Africa green so she can manipulate organic matter...

EDIT:
    scratch that:

Powers and abilities

Atom Eve is able to manipulate matter at the sub-atomic level by sheer will power. Organic (not animal life, however) and inorganic matter can be changed into anything she desires.

Venkman90 on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Eve still has a limiter/lock on her abilities to stop her from becoming something of a god, I believe according to her mini.

She was able to unlock them in a fit of rage after seeing her real parents killed but she didn't seem certain she could do it again after musing about how she chose revenge instead of bringing them back.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited June 2009
    A poster on another board suggested that it might all be an elaborate trick by Eve and Cecil to get Mark angry enough to the point where he'd be able to potentially overpower/kill Conquest.

KyleWPeterson on
  • & the Knights& the Knights Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Shapesmith has an arc coming up when the Sequid invade the ruins of Earth. Shapesmith!

& the Knights on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got my girlfriend hooked on Invincible about a year ago. She started crying after finishing #63.

I felt so bad. :(

Green on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Green wrote: »
    I got my girlfriend hooked on Invincible about a year ago. She started crying after finishing #63.

I felt so bad. :(
    I know a gal that would probably actually laugh at that so your girl is pretty awesome, actually. :)

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited June 2009
    A poster on another board suggested that it might all be an elaborate trick by Eve and Cecil to get Mark angry enough to the point where he'd be able to potentially overpower/kill Conquest.

It does seem a bit strange that
    Cecil would support a plan as foolhardy as that especially after seeing Oliver get brutalized.

I just need to see Mark start kicking ass again.

Tylerbroor on
    edited June 2009
    I am still going with Allen / Nolan taking Conquest out

I am wondering though, with Allen being so OP now, what threat can there be for him?

Venkman90 on
  • SwansonSwanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can we get a scan of the page or is it too graphic?

Swanson on