As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    I'm jumping into LFD here soon, if anyone wants to shoot some dead meats with me.:^:

Steam ID - SculptorScotty

Multiple people can have the same Steam name so I can't just search for Scotty, and Steam's not finding "SculptorScotty".

If you post the link to your Steam page then we can invite you to the Armadeadon group, which is what we all use to organise games.

subedii on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think they should totally have the director be a playable class, or feature.

Once that's implemented, let's get deceased teammates to be the "director" against your still alive teammates :mrgreen:

Ooohhh this sounds like a lot of fun.

I don't think a human director mode is the best thing. The only way I really see it being fun would be in a five person game where everyone can talk to eachother and it's just a big laugh. A kinda 'kick back and see how badly Rakuen wants to bugger us tonight'.

If you wanted to win [in campaign] the dead player would go as easy as possible on his team mates to try and help them out. If he was pissed off he'd make sure they'd die (griefing, essentially) plus I'd imagine dickheads would simply kill themself just so they could play director.

In a nine person versus with one person being the director the director wouldn't have much to do except clomping however many infected they're allowed around the map as they try and figure out where they'll put the pipes, molotovs, pills and such like as quickly as possible. Plus they'd have to try and be fair for both teams or else one is gonna get bitchy at you. Its a good thing that everyone can just get annoyed at the AID. Plus since there's only three infected (tanks are special, witches are unplayable) the director can't even choose what kind of infected they're gonan throw at the survivors. Could work better in L4D2 where you'll have more typed of infected to make the other players spawn as.

If my words make no sense I'm blaming my hangover.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A human director would be terrible because humans are stupid and would be far less effective at creating an interesting gaming experience than a computer.

The_Scarab on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    A human director would be terrible because humans are stupid and would be far less effective at creating an interesting gaming experience than a computer.

Yeah, but the AI won't be mean and spawn a tank on the elevator ride up on NM4.

SkutSkut on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know, the tank in the big tunnel of Death Toll is pretty goddamn mean

Robman on
  • thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So can we get a collective list of XBL names for people who still play left 4 dead on 360? Since A PA L4D Group is pretty useless now. I'm in need of playing with some competent players.

Here, I'll start:

-Abominable Burt

feel free to add me if you feel like playing.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I have been saying this about DnD for years.

chasehatesbears on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    should I finish my soundpack?

it works fine in singleplayer, but I guess multiplayer doesn't let you use custom scripts from the scripts folder so I have to manually replace every soundfile instead of just editting the script like I did for SP to get it to work in MP

(that was a big, bad sentence)

it is dogs barking for zombies and bubbles popping for guns

e: I've been playing with bubble guns for like a month now and I think normal gunshot sounds would throw me off so much

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SoaL wrote: »

it works fine in singleplayer, but I guess multiplayer doesn't let you use custom scripts from the scripts folder so I have to manually replace every soundfile instead of just editting the script like I did for SP to get it to work in MP

e: I've been playing with bubble guns for like a month now and I think normal gunshot sounds would throw me off so much

Yea hearing regular zombies throws me off after playing with the Macho Man sound pack since forever.

Brian on
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So can we get a collective list of XBL names for people who still play left 4 dead on 360? Since A PA L4D Group is pretty useless now. I'm in need of playing with some competent players.

Here, I'll start:

-Abominable Burt

feel free to add me if you feel like playing.

Who controls the PA L4D metatag? Maybe we could get them to transfer ownership/do a pruning. I only got the game a week ago, and I'd love to play around with some PA people. Gamertag is PompousPorpoise.

I got All 4 Dead the other day on NM4. Normally I do terribly as the tank, but the survivors were all crouching in the vent entrances behind the elevator, so none of them saw me coming. I incaped Francis right as I entered the vent, Zoey as I rounded the corner, Louis as they scrambled to escape out the other vent, and finally Bill as he tried to run down the hallway. I was pretty much useless up until this point, and my team was astonished. L4D definitely has some of the best achievement design in any game. There are a couple of easy achievements, a couple progress achievements, a couple "do X ten times" achievements, and some really hard, situational achievements.

SilentCoconut on
  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I accidentally unsubscribed from this thread like a week ago. I haven't missed too much hurf-durfing have I?

Probad on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    SoaL wrote: »

Yea hearing regular zombies throws me off after playing with the Macho Man sound pack since forever.

I've been using Johnny Bravo as the tank for forever. Just something about hearing Elvis come on, and then tank saying "Where's my weiner roll?" as he comes bounding around a corner. It's hard to get scared really, but I just love how Johnny fits that big lug so easily.

It's hard finding good sound packs for the other infected though. :(

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The scout soundpack seemed to fit the commons well :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want the new 4 on 4 matchmaking to be RANKED -- in such a way that makes you lose a million points if you quit before the end.

Hockey Johnston on
    edited June 2009
    So we were losing pretty badly as infected and Trey (who had a legit reason to leave i believe) Illuminatus and Geomitch all left before the round was over. Their louis had about 5 or so hp left and they were almost home free when louis, deciding to clear the area out, threw his pipe.

At the safe room door.

And continued walking towards it incapping himself in the explosion. That made the game feel so much better.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Yeah, but the AI won't be mean and spawn a hundred miniguns on the elevator ride up on NM4.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Soal, what happened to the snares!?

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • ReaganReagan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reagan wrote: »
    word is there is a patch tonight, stay tuned

Reagan on
    edited June 2009
    well, it wouldn't be valve if they didn't have valve time.

Nappuccino on

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Me and Soulgate tried a couple of the custom campaign maps, suprised as they were pretty fun.

The first was Dam It! A single map but its quite big, you work your way from a small forest to a huge water dam, then make your way through the dam to the highest level for the final panic event.

It could do with being split up into two maps really as it is pretty big and theres a lot going on, as well as lots of rooms to explore inside, but its pretty high quality and good if you dont want a full length campaign.

Second was Silent Hill. Pretty self explanatory, its a translation of the first game into L4D. This includes the puzzles, which mostly consist if looking for keys/items to use. Creator intends it to be 10 maps but so far there are 4, lasting around 1.5-2 hours.

The puzzles are simple but its really atmospheric and the banging on doors and witch cries that you are used to become a lot more scary on the 2nd and 3rd levels especially. Could imagine it would lose some of its value on a 2nd runthrough but its pretty fun to explore and play through first time.

Some Silent Hill screens:
    l4dsh01town0018.jpg
    l4dsh01town0017.jpg
    l4dsh04church0005.jpg
    l4dsh02school0020.jpg
    l4dsh03schoolalt0000.jpg
    l4dsh03schoolalt0004.jpg

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited June 2009
    And those screens really don't do it much justice. It's just crazy how dark those night maps are. Also, You haven't seen much till you get to hear a horde, and don't see it till it's IN YOUR FACE CHEWING YOUR NOSE AND YOU ONLY HAVE A PISTOL OH MY GOD WHERE DID EVERYONE GO NOOOOOOOOOOO HUNTER FROM THE NIGHT I'M DYING.

It's enjoyable.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SoulGate wrote: »
    And those screens really don't do it much justice. It's just crazy how dark those night maps are. Also, You haven't seen much till you get to hear a horde, and don't see it till it's IN YOUR FACE CHEWING YOUR NOSE AND YOU ONLY HAVE A PISTOL OH MY GOD WHERE DID EVERYONE GO NOOOOOOOOOOO HUNTER FROM THE NIGHT I'M DYING.

It's enjoyable.

The funniest pat of the hell level was when you wandered into a room and all I heard was "ARGGHHGGRRHG WHAT I-oh wait that was just a shelf, it scared me."

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    To everyone I was playing with last night - Jobastion, Zombie Shakespeare, Bex, and the dudes on the other team (Soulgate I think you were there) I apologize for my shitty play, I had a bad toothache and wasn't really able to concentrate. I'm not always that bad!

elevature on
    edited June 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    To everyone I was playing with last night - Jobastion, Zombie Shakespeare, Bex, and the dudes on the other team (Soulgate I think you were there) I apologize for my shitty play, I had a bad toothache and wasn't really able to concentrate. I'm not always that bad!

I couldn't concentrate either :evil:

Reagan on
    edited June 2009

Yeah, hard to concentrate when you're drunk, right? I had fun that game though, lots of fun.

And the pubstomp with Reagan afterwards where he's talking about the latest presidential term and the outcomes of it, were kinda funny, considering the circumstances.

In other words, Drunk Reagan is a good teammate, even when losing.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    SoulGate wrote: »

Yeah, hard to concentrate when you're drunk, right? I had fun that game though, lots of fun.

And the pubstomp with Reagan afterwards where he's talking about the latest presidential term and the outcomes of it, were kinda funny, considering the circumstances.

In other words, Drunk Reagan is a good teammate, even when losing.

We lost?

Reagan on
    edited June 2009

We lost?

:lol:

Nappuccino on

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys, I've missed about a week and a half of news, what's happened? Anything new on L4D since E3?

Icemopper on
    edited June 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've missed about a week and a half of news, what's happened? Anything new on L4D since E3?

Nope, the only thing that happend this week is that we learned Valve time is still confirmed :lol:

Also, has anyone else noticed an increased number of unwanted teamswaps lately?

Last match we had the teams completely shuffled (two of ours and two of theirs, no one new joined)

Nappuccino on

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Nope, the only thing that happend this week is that we learned Valve time is still confirmed :lol:

Last match we had the teams completely shuffled (two of ours and two of theirs, no one new joined)

The recent patch apparently reintroduced the teamswitch bug.

Professor Phobos on
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

The recent patch apparently reintroduced the teamswitch bug.

It seems that way, but I want to see if its a widespread thing or relatively rare- It's happened to me in just about ever game this week yet only just recently started happening (i don't think we've had a patch that recently)

Nappuccino on

• elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Backing out the window was pretty great.

elevature on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want the new 4 on 4 matchmaking to be RANKED -- in such a way that makes you lose a million points if you quit before the end.

Yes it would be awesome. Then all the awful "leave if we are losing by the slightest amount" teams get to play each other rather than people who actually enjoy playing through all the maps.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know if I'd like that. Sometimes things come up, you should be able to leave without fucking up your rank as long as it ain't a ragequit.

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009

Backing out the window was pretty great.

Hey! I was smoked out that window... :twisted:

Reagan on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok those screens for the Silent Hill map were fucking badass. That is amazing.

Also.

http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.Content&contentid=1739

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There was a post here.
    It's gone now.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd like that. Sometimes things come up, you should be able to leave without fucking up your rank as long as it ain't a ragequit.

I would imagine it would(should) take quite a few early quits to truly harm your record. However, if things are constantly coming up, then the reasons for why you are quitting are immaterial. If you can't consistently get through a game (either because of rage or scheduling or whatever), then your record should reflect that. Because that's really the point of said record: to determine the likelihood that you will get through an entire game.

How people will interpret that record is somewhat out of your control. What's not out of your control is making sure you actually have time to play before jumping in (most of the time).

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »

Perhaps you'd have to do it multiple times in a day for the penalty to kick in, giving each player a 'free' "omg I MUST go right NOW" quit, as emergencies do come up. But if you're doing it particularly often, ragequit or not, perhaps that person needs to schedule their time or shift their priorities a bit better, which is to say that trying to participate in a co-op/vs game when you have one or more vastly more important things going on might not be for the best. (here is where all the parents in the audience tear me to shreds)

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!