As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rorschach in extended 300 trailer

BoboBobo Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2007 in Graphic Violence
9754eed0f32171befa5d8edht6.jpg
Saw this over at SA. I think I just nerdgasmed in my pantaloons :(

Background: Zach Snyder slipped a Rorschach frame into the extended 300 trailer. Also reported on at: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31814

Edit: high res here: http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1253/rorshachbadgepk8.jpg

Bobo on

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    That looks awful

Garlic Bread on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How else can you do a Full White Mask. It's not exactly going to be skin tight.

It looks fine, it looks real. Watchmen is supposed to feel real.

Sharp101 on
  • BoboBobo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Ah, I guess it's a test shot ... interesting nonetheless.

Bobo on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    How else can you do a Full White Mask. It's not exactly going to be skin tight.

It looks fine, it looks real. Watchmen is supposed to feel real.

It needs to be less skintight. It makes whoever that is look like they have an alien head

Garlic Bread on
  • LejinLejin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Looks pretty spiffy to me, esp the high res image(which doesn't have as much lighting)

Lejin on
    edited March 2007
    And the pattern kind of resembles a face so he looks goofy

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2007
    Keith, then it would be baggy.

Sharp101 on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And you made a whole thread about it. I'm amused.

Accualt on
    edited March 2007
    It's probably that the mask just won't ever look as good as the comic

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2007
    You cant have real masks like in the comics, Read people have big ears.

Sharp101 on
  • natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They're not really making a film out of Watchmen, are they?

natxcross on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    natxcross wrote: »
    They're not really making a film out of Watchmen, are they?

They've only been trying since the early 90's

seems the guy that's doing 300 has the green light to go with it

Algertman on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've seen that Rorschach before. He got it from 'Watchmen-page 5'

Seach it on youtube. I'll wait.

edit-or not.

Ethan Smith on
  • GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »

The mask resembles a face quite commonly (at least 3 times if I remember) It resembles clown make up every time he's forced to embrace his ideals by a situation.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
    edited March 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote: »

The mask resembles a face quite commonly (at least 3 times if I remember) It resembles clown make up every time he's forced to embrace his ideals by a situation.

Yes, I know

but the one in that frame just looks goofy

unless they're actually going to do the "change the design every time" thing

Garlic Bread on
  • LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    what
    the
    fuck
    i
    dont
    understand
    its
    actually
    happening
    i
    dont
    know
    what
    to
    think

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God. This is about as good an idea as making an anime based on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    He's holding a :) I didn't notice.

It has the blood.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
    edited March 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote: »

Yes, I know

but the one in that frame just looks goofy

unless they're actually going to do the "change the design every time" thing

I would hope to god they do. Or else it's not really rorschach. I mean, that's what CG is for right? And 300 is pretty much pure CG.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The thing I like about that picture is the fact that Rorshach made the mask himself, so of course it's not going to be that great.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I don't mind if Rorschach's mask looks kinda chintzy. All the costumes and devices in Watchmen were campy, and it was part of the point. The "costumed adventurers" were kind of a sad joke.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I hope they make the Watchmen movie in the same way they did Sin City, and not the same way the Wachowzki brothers did V for Vendetta. Ie, an accurate representation of the comic, and not some watered down, 'lawl batman wif knives' crap.

Infact, yeah, if the Wachowski brothers did Watchmen, I'm sure they
    Would pull some crap like, having Ozymandias actually save the world from a real alien attack. Oh, and Rorschach wouldn't be insane at all, he'd be essentially the 1960's Adam West Batman. Man I hope noone screws up this movie

CangoFett on
    edited March 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Man, I hope they make the Watchmen movie in the same way they did Sin City, and not the same way the Wachowzki brothers did V for Vendetta. Ie, an accurate representation of the comic, and not some watered down, 'lawl batman wif knives' crap.

Except Sin City was crap

It was too accurate. Nobody thinks in Miller's little inner-monologues. It works in a comic, but when you actually hear it it's ridiculous

Garlic Bread on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    More importantly. Good eye to the first person who caught that.
    Nobody thinks in Miller's little inner-monologues.
    And I can think however I would like, sir.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That test shot is about as great as the Invisible Man in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I weep inside.

Fellhand on
    edited March 2007

Except Sin City was crap

It was too accurate. Nobody thinks in Miller's little inner-monologues. It works in a comic, but when you actually hear it it's ridiculous

Don't you mean ridiculously awesome?

Fellhand on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »

Except Sin City was crap

Don't you mean ridiculously awesome?

The man doesn't understand the concept of 'suspension of disbelief'

Ethan Smith on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A Film version of Rorschach won't look right in just a single frame though. You'd need to see the blobs moving.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited March 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    A Film version of Rorschach won't look right in just a single frame though. You'd need to see the blobs moving.

Yeah.

And the mask was supposed to be a material that separated two viscous fluids or something. He talks in the comic about needing to use heating tools to cut it just right.

You don't cut cloth with heat so I've always thought of the fabric of his mask being plastic like.

Fellhand on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    *looks at thread title* What? No, no way.

*looks at the image* Th- they can't- I...is it gonna be good? What? How? *blood shoots from ears*

Whether or not it's good, I gotta give Snyder/the producers kudos for this. It constitutes one hell of a nerdgasm from me.

All I really care about are The Comedian and Rorschach. Even if they completely fuck the plot, I'll be happy if they do those two characters right. I'll be happy if they don't completely fuck it over as well, but hey, I'm not setting my hopes too high.

Torso Boy on
    edited March 2007
    It's a test image people. That's not the final costume. They just threw it together to see how it look. Of course it looks like crap. Most likely the real costume will be a green mask the dude wears and they animate over it.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also, everyone go look at the Ain'titcool image, it's much darker, I think the one at the beginning of the thread has been lightened in photoshop.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want to see the out of shape Nite Owl, gut splling out of the costume, wings all sagging and sad.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My God the movie hasn't even started yet and the incessent bitching is about to drive me absolutely fucking insane.

Furu on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    My God the movie hasn't even started yet and the incessent bitching is about to drive me absolutely fucking insane.

Yep, just witnessing the amount of whining in this thread, I've decided that I won't read another thing about Watchmen until the reviews come out.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LejinLejin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gerard Butler as The Comedian?

It was stated at Wonder-con he will be in it.

Source

Lejin on
    edited March 2007
    Briareos wrote: »

Yep, just witnessing the amount of whining in this thread, I've decided that I won't read another thing about Watchmen until the reviews come out.

Welcome to the internets?

Fellhand on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    After seeing what he has done with 300, I can't think of a better person to do the Watchmen movie.

There is still way too much plot in Watchmen to fit into one movie though, if anything it should be an HBO miniseries or somthing.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Briareos wrote: »

Welcome to the internets?

'That's just how the internet is' is a pretty shitty excuse.

Furu on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Yeah.

And the mask was supposed to be a material that separated two viscous fluids or something. He talks in the comic about needing to use heating tools to cut it just right.

You don't cut cloth with heat so I've always thought of the fabric of his mask being plastic like.

It's two layers of latex.

All he did, according to the panel is heat up some scissors to keep the seal.

I figure, in the movie, it could just be a fabric for a dress, and not some fancy new material.

Plus, I really like the idea of him just cutting up a dress with ink blobs and putting it on his face.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg