As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iran Election: The Fallout. Shit+Fan

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    Basij now moving with motorcycles in streets trying to scare people to stop chanting. it is not working anymore
    Early on it did. It took Team Mousavi a few days to realize, 'hey, wait a minute, we can summon a million people on 24 hours notice and tens, possibly hundreds of thousands at the drop of a hat. Even when they're firing into the crowd, they can't much get more than 50 of us at a time out of that big a crowd, and that's if they get lucky.'

Team Mousavi basically crunched the numbers and realized they own this thing if they keep turning out.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    man this is such a good thread full of informative posts. I've been following this since the night of the election and it beats MSM any day of the week. I think for the most part, we all know what is going on there and while new things do come up from day to day basis, I think in certain areas, there may be somewhat of an overexposure to the point of human disrespect. I mean we all know of the atrocities that basij has been committing and documentation is an absolute must, however, I think the posting of what essentially amounts to snuff videos and pictures is pretty innappropriate for the cause. That is not to say that we should sanitize the news or anything but I think the documentation of acts and witnessing from the people who are there should be enough. We should not be demanding proof of these atrocities in that form.

I understand the squeamishness, I hate gore for the sake of gore myself. But these are the pictures that need to get out. It's too easy to dismiss this as "more of the same from the Middle East" without those pictures and the context.

Edit:

I think most posters have been very reasonable about using spoiler tags for discretion. I personally would spoiler anything with blood. Considering there have been multiple reports of violence in the protests, I can't imagine anyone going in unprepared to see that sort of thing.
    V V V V V

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We should probably set some OP ground rules as to how to deal with stuff like that.

For the graphic stuff, I'd say link it and mark it as such, but don't hotlink it. Just so nobody gets in trouble at work or something.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    man this is such a good thread full of informative posts. I've been following this since the night of the election and it beats MSM any day of the week. I think for the most part, we all know what is going on there and while new things do come up from day to day basis, I think in certain areas, there may be somewhat of an overexposure to the point of human disrespect. I mean we all know of the atrocities that basij has been committing and documentation is an absolute must, however, I think the posting of what essentially amounts to snuff videos and pictures is pretty innappropriate for the cause. That is not to say that we should sanitize the news or anything but I think the documentation of acts and witnessing from the people who are there should be enough. We should not be demanding proof of these atrocities in that form.

I understand the squeamishness, I hate gore for the sake of gore myself. But these are the pictures that need to get out. It's too easy to dismiss this as "more of the same from the Middle East" without those pictures and the context.

Edit:

I think most posters have been very reasonable about using spoiler tags for discretion. I personally would spoiler anything with blood. Considering there have been multiple reports of violence in the protests, I can't imagine anyone going in unprepared to see that sort of thing.
    V V V V V

Spoilering doesn't keep it from loading.

MKR on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well my point is thus:
    Basij shooting into crowd = important and needs to be shown
    Post mortem pictures of desceased = somewhat disrespectful and doesn't exactly add much to the discourse, the description and the story of how that happened adds more than a picture of an evicerated dead dude will ever

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited June 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Spoilering doesn't keep it from loading.

You are correct; this did not occur to me. Point taken.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't really see how it's inappropriate, unless stuff isn't being marked as nsfw/gore/etc.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Speaking of violent images, CNN has redeemed themselves. Or at least their website has. Front page article is about Iran and the internet. Front picture within the article is the guy being held up by the crowd with the completely bloodied face.

Qingu on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I don't really see how it's inappropriate, unless stuff isn't being marked as nsfw/gore/etc.

the point is to link to where you can see it instead of just putting spoilertags. if you spoil something it still loads on your page so people with anal admins at work can still nail them for shit even if it was 'spoilered'

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Early machine guns were water cooled and could be bypassed if you sent enough people at them. This reminds me of that and a zergling rush.

The problem for Khameni and Ahmadinejad is that there are a lot a people that are going after their throats when this is done, especially with the outrageous anonymous burials. The former could pass the buck onto the latter but the latter is going to be drawing a lot of hatred for his actions over the past few days instead of his policies.

RoyceSraphim on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What's with all this rumbling about Russia having a hand in helping Ahmandinnerjacket plan this coup, along with the suppression tactics used by the Basij?

Hrm.

Not that there's much evidence out there to lend that accusation any credence, but what if it were true?

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    Change_for_Iran posted an article in Farsi that apparently speculates Russian involvement in training the Basij.

It seems like the Mousavi campaign is blaming Russia for supporting or even having a hand in the rigging of the election.

Blaming foreign meddling must be a bipartisan strategy in Iran.

Lawndart on
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well my point is thus:
    Post mortem pictures of desceased = somewhat disrespectful and doesn't exactly add much to the discourse, the description and the story of how that happened adds more than a picture of an evicerated dead dude will ever

Showing the consequences of the former doesn't seem disrespectful to me at all. It's just unpleasant to look at.

Clevinger on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Basij are actively seen trying to suppress rioters.

No idea where Russia came into it.

Quid on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Imagine how convenient it would be for the US if Russia became Iran's scapegoat?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    The Basij are actively seen trying to suppress rioters.

No idea where Russia came into it.

Unfounded rumoring that Russia may have been involved in training them. Unlikely since Russia has it's own problems with radical Islam, and Iran has forces capable of training (and who are on record as doing so) already.

psychotix on
    edited June 2009
    The way things are going, I really don't expect either one to walk away from this. Though I do see Khameni throwing Ahmadinejad under the bus in an attempt to save himself as a plausible scenario.

Gosling on
    edited June 2009
    So Pete Hoekstra said something stupid on Twitter.
    Dumbass wrote:
    Iranian twitter activity similar to what we did in House last year when Republicans were shut down in the House.

Fallout? Hilarious.

matthewlrigdon: @petehoekstra Maybe you would like to compare Lakers parade to the Iranian rallies? We almost got shut down, too.

dmanaster: RT @MattOrtega RT @petehoekstra Walked out onto Constitution Ave in D.C. and was almost hit by a taxi. Reminded me of Tienanmen Square.

leo_watkins: RT @BrianYoung @petehoekstra: Missed lunch today cuz I was late and walking to a mting. Reminded me of the Bataan Death March.

paganmist: @petehoekstra Had to move all my stuff to a new office w/o a corner view. Now i know what the Trail of Tears was like. #GOPfail

gfinockio: @petehoekstra Does that mean the Dems should start beating you with batons, just to make the comparison truly valid? (Moron.)

rdutchofdukes: @petehoekstra you are officially a bigger embarrassment to the US than the octomom. Take a bow, Pete.

Armored Gorilla on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »
    well my point is thus:

Showing the consequences of the former doesn't seem disrespectful to me at all. It's just unpleasant to look at.

its not the unpleasantness for me, its a matter of consent
    I've worked as an EMT for about 2 years now and even the video of people loading injured into the back of that ambulance is makes me cringe because of all the people flocking to the back of the opened doors to stick their cameras into the back of the ambulance. Its just a simple matter of respect. I mean theres a reason why we don't allow these kinds of things here and while the situation over there is a bit of an extenuating circumstance where documentation is necessary, there is still a line that should be respected. Just because their nation is undergoing what it is doesn't mean the individual protestors should lose their rights to medical privacy.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    The more things change the more they stay the same, eh?

PeekingDuck on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dumbass wrote:
    Iranian twitter activity similar to what we did in House last year when Republicans were shut down in the House.

Fallout? Hilarious.

matthewlrigdon: @petehoekstra Maybe you would like to compare Lakers parade to the Iranian rallies? We almost got shut down, too.

dmanaster: RT @MattOrtega RT @petehoekstra Walked out onto Constitution Ave in D.C. and was almost hit by a taxi. Reminded me of Tienanmen Square.

leo_watkins: RT @BrianYoung @petehoekstra: Missed lunch today cuz I was late and walking to a mting. Reminded me of the Bataan Death March.

paganmist: @petehoekstra Had to move all my stuff to a new office w/o a corner view. Now i know what the Trail of Tears was like. #GOPfail

gfinockio: @petehoekstra Does that mean the Dems should start beating you with batons, just to make the comparison truly valid? (Moron.)

rdutchofdukes: @petehoekstra you are officially a bigger embarrassment to the US than the octomom. Take a bow, Pete.

These responses are brilliant. I love Twitter sometimes.

Silas Brown on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be just hilarious if it turned out the CIA was behind this, like they rigged Iran's election to cause civil unrest

No.

I would not find it hilarious if the CIA was to blame for destabilizing the country and the deaths and injuries of countless Iranian people.

I was being facetious, because the modern CIA couldn't execute "Operation run to the store for a pack of smokes" without fucking it up

override367 on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dumbass wrote:

Fallout? Hilarious.

These responses are brilliant. I love Twitter sometimes.
    LOL wrote:
    @petehoekstra um, Uncle Pete...(Samantha Hoekstra here), please don't compare Iranian tweeters with House Republicans. Apples & oranges tio!

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be just hilarious if it turned out the CIA was behind this, like they rigged Iran's election to cause civil unrest

No.

I would not find it hilarious if the CIA was to blame for destabilizing the country and the deaths and injuries of countless Iranian people.

I was being facetious, because the modern CIA couldn't execute "Operation run to the store for a pack of smokes" without fucking it up

Yes, I know, it wasn't funny.

Anyway, from Change From Iran:
    and the rumor about Hezbolah & Hamas helping Basij, until today I never believed it but I saw them today with my own eyes

Sarksus on
    edited June 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    LOL wrote:
    @petehoekstra um, Uncle Pete...(Samantha Hoekstra here), please don't compare Iranian tweeters with House Republicans. Apples & oranges tio!

holy crap how did i miss this

BRAVO

Armored Gorilla on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't mean to imply that I would actually find humor in the CIA being behind this. I think my emotions would swing between impotent rage and sadness

override367 on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't mean to imply that I would actually find humor in the CIA being behind this. I think my emotions would swing between impotent rage and sadness

I think any reasonable reading of your post would conclude that you meant funny in the sense of absurd. Don't sweat it.

Hachface on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really, really, REALLY hope the CIA is capable of this but not involved because the idea of them being rendered incapable, rancid, and atrophied husks of their formers selves after the Bush and Clinton administrations would make me sad in a, "OMG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! EVERYONE ABANDON PLANET! GIMME A KNIFE! I WANT OFF THIS STUPID RIDE!" sort of way.

RoyceSraphim on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really, really, REALLY hope the CIA is capable of this but not involved because the idea of them being rendered incapable, rancid, and atrophied husks of their formers selves after the Bush and Clinton administrations would make me sad in a, "OMG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! EVERYONE ABANDON PLANET! GIMME A KNIFE! I WANT OFF THIS STUPID RIDE!" sort of way.

The CIA has never been competent.

Hachface on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

It WOULD explain how horribly done the rigging was.

kildy on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh god, I lol'd. Good show, Twitterers. :^:

Recoil42 on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Seriously, the more you read about the CIA, the more hilarious they become as they seem to have fucked up SO many times.

shryke on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I always figured maybe the reason the CIA seemed so incompetent was because you don't hear about the succesful missions.

Silas Brown on
    edited June 2009
    shryke wrote: »

Seriously, the more you read about the CIA, the more hilarious they become as they seem to have fucked up SO many times.
    That's the thing about a spy agency. The missions that get written and read about the most are the ones they fuck up. Flawless mission... what mission? We don't know about a mission.

Gosling on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Read it with the Benny Hill music playing, it's even better.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

This reminds me of a few years back when Ahmadinejad had some piece of legislation where the parliament would make a statement condemning the CIA as a terrorist organization in response to the senate declaring the IRG as such.

The first reaction is, of course, that he is a dick.

Then you think about it for more than a few seconds and you realize that its perfectly apt.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • AeneasAeneas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

What's with all the CIA bashing? Sure you've had those high-profile failures, but intelligence work is not exactly an easy or precise science. Keep in mind, hindsight is everything when we think, "How could they have missed that?"

Aeneas on
    Hear about the cow that tried to jump over a barbed-wire fence? It was udder disaster.
    edited June 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    That's the thing about a spy agency. The missions that get written and read about the most are the ones they fuck up. Flawless mission... what mission? We don't know about a mission.

Things do get declassified eventually.

Hachface on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Hey, I'd like to see you successfully overthrow the government of another country.
    Not really, please don't try.
    Do itttt....

jothki on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    jothki wrote: »

Hey, I'd like to see you successfully overthrow the government of another country.
    Not really, please don't try.
    Do itttt....

Have they successfully overthrown the government of another country? I mean, this is the same organisation whose plans to defeat Fidel Castro involve powder that makes his beard fall out. I shit you not.

Premier kakos on
This discussion has been closed.