Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Iran Election: The Fallout. Shit+Fan

1404143454662

Posts

  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User
    edited June 2009
    TahirDuckett @petehoekstra ran through the sprinklers this morning, claimed solidarity with victims of Hurricane Katrina

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Have they successfully overthrown the government of another country? I mean, this is the same organisation whose plans to defeat Fidel Castro involve powder that makes his beard fall out. I shit you not.
    Iran. It backfired quickly enough in a few decades.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    I really, really, REALLY hope the CIA is capable of this but not involved because the idea of them being rendered incapable, rancid, and atrophied husks of their formers selves after the Bush and Clinton administrations would make me sad in a, "OMG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! EVERYONE ABANDON PLANET! GIMME A KNIFE! I WANT OFF THIS STUPID RIDE!" sort of way.

    The CIA has never been competent.

    Seriously, the more you read about the CIA, the more hilarious they become as they seem to have fucked up SO many times.
    That's the thing about a spy agency. The missions that get written and read about the most are the ones they fuck up. Flawless mission... what mission? We don't know about a mission.

    I don't know. It seems like almost every time they've gone from "Intelligence Gathering" to "Let's do some shit", it has gone badly.

  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This was in the conspiracy theory thread and with all the CIA bashing seems relevent.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

    And still seems extremely silly. Not exactly words you want to use to describe your national foreign security branch of the gov't.

  • AthenorAthenor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man...

    I'm catching up because I can't really check during work. So... will this go all the way? Dan Rather's on MSNBC saying no, but.. I dunno.. that path of people today made my hair stand on end.

    fCew0YJ.jpg
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    This was in the conspiracy theory thread and with all the CIA bashing seems relevent.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

    And still seems extremely silly. Not exactly words you want to use to describe your national foreign security branch of the gov't.

    I cannot really begin to describe how awesome that is

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Have they successfully overthrown the government of another country? I mean, this is the same organisation whose plans to defeat Fidel Castro involve powder that makes his beard fall out. I shit you not.
    Iran. It backfired quickly enough in a few decades.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

    Have we (the US government) ever apologized for that? I would hope that we do soon enough, the timing would be pretty good

  • ronyaronya Arrrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, their job is to be paranoid. It'd be pretty embarrassing if bugging animals did work (and Socks was actually an ex Soviet superspy!!) but the CIA dismissed it out of hand because it was silly.

    Smashing atoms is silly on the face of it.

  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    This was in the conspiracy theory thread and with all the CIA bashing seems relevent.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

    And still seems extremely silly. Not exactly words you want to use to describe your national foreign security branch of the gov't.

    I cannot really begin to describe how awesome that is

    As soon as people started talking about the CIA in here, I was thinking of this operation. It kind of makes me sad for the cat. :(

  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The thing with the CIA is that they are generally competant at what their mission is - gathering information, intelligence, etc. They just tend towards taking on giant projects that are way beyond their capabilities or understanding occasionally, and when they fail it tends to be epic.

  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    This was in the conspiracy theory thread and with all the CIA bashing seems relevent.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

    And still seems extremely silly. Not exactly words you want to use to describe your national foreign security branch of the gov't.

    I cannot really begin to describe how awesome that is

    As soon as people started talking about the CIA in here, I was thinking of this operation. It kind of makes me sad for the cat. :(

    I've often wondered if that cat got its own star on the wall as an agent killed in the line of duty...

  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    This was in the conspiracy theory thread and with all the CIA bashing seems relevent.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

    And still seems extremely silly. Not exactly words you want to use to describe your national foreign security branch of the gov't.

    I cannot really begin to describe how awesome that is

    Whoever was fucking retarded enough to actually try to get cats to spy is hopefully no longer employed at the CIA.

    I mean fuck it's almost impossible to train them to not vomit on your carpet or shred your furniture. And they were trying to get them to spy? wtf... "We've got a good signal. Oh wait, no, fluffy saw a bird and is wandering off/decided it's nap time/saw something shiny/got hit by a car/etc"

    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And here I thought G-Force was a historical documentary

  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dmanaster: RT @MattOrtega RT @petehoekstra Walked out onto Constitution Ave in D.C. and was almost hit by a taxi. Reminded me of Tienanmen Square.
    This one gave me a tremendous guffaw.

    It's an easy game to hate
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."

    Goddamnit Israel.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."

    Goddamnit Israel.

    Fuck these guys, seriously. Pisses me off that our govt legitimizes these asshats.

    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes because nuclear power is only use to build nukes.

    Not to power a country. Nope.

    Narian.gif
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User
    edited June 2009
    God I hate Israel almost as much as I hate Saudi Arabia

  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."

    Goddamnit Israel.

    Fuck these guys, seriously. Pisses me off that our govt legitimizes these asshats.

    Recent poll conducted by an Israeli interest group showed that support for Israel has dropped below 50% in the US. They've been acting like asshats lately, and people are realizing it.

    camo_sig2.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    I really, really, REALLY hope the CIA is capable of this but not involved because the idea of them being rendered incapable, rancid, and atrophied husks of their formers selves after the Bush and Clinton administrations would make me sad in a, "OMG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! EVERYONE ABANDON PLANET! GIMME A KNIFE! I WANT OFF THIS STUPID RIDE!" sort of way.

    The CIA has never been competent.

    Seriously, the more you read about the CIA, the more hilarious they become as they seem to have fucked up SO many times.

    Hey, I'd like to see you successfully overthrow the government of another country.
    Spoiler:

    Have they successfully overthrown the government of another country? I mean, this is the same organisation whose plans to defeat Fidel Castro involve powder that makes his beard fall out. I shit you not.

    For everyone successful CIA-sponsored political overthrow, I think you get a bunch more that fail, including a few that fail spectacularly, over and over again. Because if there's one thing the CIA doesn't do, it's give up. Giving up is for pussies.

    So, for every Operation Ajax or Augusto Pinochet, you have a few failures like the Bay of Pigs. And you get at least one hilarious failure, like the repeated attempts to kill him with everything from poison lip balm to exploding cigars. Yes, the same kind you see you Bugs Bunny Cartoons.

    Fidel: *BOOM* ....of course you realize, this means war. *turns his beard around so it's back on the front of his face*

    So....they do occasionally not screw up. But they're not what the KGB was, or the Mossad is now. And they go very well with 'Yakkity Sax'. In all seriousness, overthrowing an established nation with a centralized government is difficult no matter who you are. I think the CIA may have gotten a little too big for its pants since its formation and numerous earlier successes, though.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."

    Goddamnit Israel.

    I don't like the way they've phrased it, but he's not lying about Mousavi's previous policies against Israel. I know he's now seen as a moderate, but he was pretty hard-line in the 80's about many, many things.

  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Tighter than R. Kelly in his teens. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone with an account tweet this to Hoekstra:

    "Woke up this morning and was out of cereal - felt like The Great Leap Forward."

    PSN/WiiU: TheMakersMark
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There they are right now, being suppressed by Hamas, etc.

    To me that is as if riot police from canada showed up in new york.

  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."
    Goddamnit Israel.
    "Wa-ah, if Mousavi wins, we'll have to work harder to try and justify our nonsense"

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."

    Goddamnit Israel.

    I don't like the way they've phrased it, but he's not lying about Mousavi's previous policies against Israel. I know he's now seen as a moderate, but he was pretty hard-line in the 80's about many, many things.

    Oh he's got a point. However, priorities should be at least considered somewhat. I mean, when there's a fucking revolution going on you really shouldn't be potentially inflaming the situation by saying stuff like the above as how one's government should still approach the country.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Someone with an account tweet this to Hoekstra:

    "Woke up this morning and was out of cereal - felt like The Great Leap Forward."
    "Bus was super crowded this morning and I didn't even get a seat - felt like I was stuffed in a cattle car . . ."

  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."

    Goddamnit Israel.

    I don't like the way they've phrased it, but he's not lying about Mousavi's previous policies against Israel. I know he's now seen as a moderate, but he was pretty hard-line in the 80's about many, many things.

    Oh he's got a point. However, priorities should be at least considered somewhat. I mean, when there's a fucking revolution going on you really shouldn't be potentially inflaming the situation by saying stuff like the above as how one's government should still approach the country.

    Israel is really only interested in how this would impact Iran's nuclear program, support for Hezbollah, Hamas, and other groups, and stability. Israel is right that Moussavi would not abandon Iran's quest for nuclear arms. I am more hopeful that he would scale back the support for Hezbollah, especially with Hezbollah's losses in the recent election in Lebanon.

    Israel's priorities are the same as they've always been. Keep Israel safe. It's easier for us to be heartened by the situation in Iran when we have a lot of space between us and potential Iranian nukes. That said, I disagree with Israel's priorities in Iran, especially because many Iranians support normalizing relations with Israel. I also believe this kind of rhetoric stemming from the mindset that automatically assumes Iran is the eternal enemy of Israel is counterproductive and out of date. There are fundamental changes in Iranian culture that the Israeli establishment seems unable to comprehend.

    The headquarters for my writing:
    hummusandkimchi.blogspot.com

    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FriedRice-1814/hero/11834264
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This whole russia conspiracy issue is fascinating especially with the prez being in russia right now. I wonder how much of it has merit.

  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Someone with an account tweet this to Hoekstra:

    "Woke up this morning and was out of cereal - felt like The Great Leap Forward."
    "Bus was super crowded this morning and I didn't even get a seat - felt like I was stuffed in a cattle car . . ."

    Hey now, I was stuck in traffic this morning with my windows down and got stuck next to a truck blowing exhaust at me. Totally holocaust level suffering for that stoplight.

  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    This whole russia conspiracy issue is fascinating especially with the prez being in russia right now. I wonder how much of it has merit.

    Likely none of it. The country is so pissed about people meddling in their affairs, both sides are likely to have bogeyman rumors of foreign involvement.

  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."

    Goddamnit Israel.

    Fuck these guys, seriously. Pisses me off that our govt legitimizes these asshats.

    Recent poll conducted by an Israeli interest group showed that support for Israel has dropped below 50% in the US. They've been acting like asshats [strike]lately[/strike], and lately people are realizing it.

    11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    This whole russia conspiracy issue is fascinating especially with the prez being in russia right now. I wonder how much of it has merit.

    Probably not much.

    I'd wager the rumor started because he was in Russia and for no other reason.

  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    kildy wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    This whole russia conspiracy issue is fascinating especially with the prez being in russia right now. I wonder how much of it has merit.

    Likely none of it. The country is so pissed about people meddling in their affairs, both sides are likely to have bogeyman rumors of foreign involvement.

    Both sides are; The pro-Ahmeni side started saying the US was involved in the last day as well (as expected). His being in Russia just made perfect fuel for the "Russia helped!" rumor.

    camo_sig2.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    There they are right now, being suppressed by Hamas, etc.

    To me that is as if riot police from canada showed up in new york.

    Hezbollah, but same thing. It would be like the NYPD trained the canadians and then called them over, except instead of police, they were bloomberg's private militia.

  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yall wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    This whole russia conspiracy issue is fascinating especially with the prez being in russia right now. I wonder how much of it has merit.

    Probably not much.

    I'd wager the rumor started because he was in Russia and for no other reason.

    Well, Russia does supply Iran with arms so the connection between the two states is well-documented. If any state were to help Iran oppress its citizens, it would be Russia.

    The headquarters for my writing:
    hummusandkimchi.blogspot.com

    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FriedRice-1814/hero/11834264
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    There they are right now, being suppressed by Hamas, etc.

    To me that is as if riot police from canada showed up in new york.

    Hezbollah, but same thing. It would be like the NYPD trained the canadians and then called them over, except instead of police, they were bloomberg's private militia.

    It's ansar Hezbollah, Iran's version of Hezbollah.

    So it would be like the NYPD training a bunch of thugs from Brooklyn to be Bloomberg's private militia in Manhattan. An important distinction.

    The headquarters for my writing:
    hummusandkimchi.blogspot.com

    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FriedRice-1814/hero/11834264
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Russia (and previously, the USSR) has something of a history with Iran. The Russians were helping them with their reactors, for instance.

    Wikipedia, naturally, has a [URL="http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran-Russia_relations"]page dedicated to this subject[/URL].

    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    That's just insulting, I think DBZ is bad but I'm not going to insinuate that it only appeals to people who are equal parts retards and psychopaths.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    This whole russia conspiracy issue is fascinating especially with the prez being in russia right now. I wonder how much of it has merit.

    If things seem to be going the way you don't want, blame the Russians. Doesn't matter why, you just need someone to blame. They're our (Americans) Jews, basically. But I'm a cynic.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
This discussion has been closed.