As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Iran Election: The Fallout. Shit+Fan

• Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TahirDuckett @petehoekstra ran through the sprinklers this morning, claimed solidarity with victims of Hurricane Katrina

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Have they successfully overthrown the government of another country? I mean, this is the same organisation whose plans to defeat Fidel Castro involve powder that makes his beard fall out. I shit you not.
    Iran. It backfired quickly enough in a few decades.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

Couscous on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    I really, really, REALLY hope the CIA is capable of this but not involved because the idea of them being rendered incapable, rancid, and atrophied husks of their formers selves after the Bush and Clinton administrations would make me sad in a, "OMG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! EVERYONE ABANDON PLANET! GIMME A KNIFE! I WANT OFF THIS STUPID RIDE!" sort of way.

The CIA has never been competent.

Seriously, the more you read about the CIA, the more hilarious they become as they seem to have fucked up SO many times.
    That's the thing about a spy agency. The missions that get written and read about the most are the ones they fuck up. Flawless mission... what mission? We don't know about a mission.

I don't know. It seems like almost every time they've gone from "Intelligence Gathering" to "Let's do some shit", it has gone badly.

shryke on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This was in the conspiracy theory thread and with all the CIA bashing seems relevent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

And still seems extremely silly. Not exactly words you want to use to describe your national foreign security branch of the gov't.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man...

I'm catching up because I can't really check during work. So... will this go all the way? Dan Rather's on MSNBC saying no, but.. I dunno.. that path of people today made my hair stand on end.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    This was in the conspiracy theory thread and with all the CIA bashing seems relevent.

And still seems extremely silly. Not exactly words you want to use to describe your national foreign security branch of the gov't.

I cannot really begin to describe how awesome that is

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Have they successfully overthrown the government of another country? I mean, this is the same organisation whose plans to defeat Fidel Castro involve powder that makes his beard fall out. I shit you not.
    Iran. It backfired quickly enough in a few decades.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

Have we (the US government) ever apologized for that? I would hope that we do soon enough, the timing would be pretty good

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, their job is to be paranoid. It'd be pretty embarrassing if bugging animals did work (and Socks was actually an ex Soviet superspy!!) but the CIA dismissed it out of hand because it was silly.

Smashing atoms is silly on the face of it.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »

As soon as people started talking about the CIA in here, I was thinking of this operation. It kind of makes me sad for the cat. :(

SteevL on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The thing with the CIA is that they are generally competant at what their mission is - gathering information, intelligence, etc. They just tend towards taking on giant projects that are way beyond their capabilities or understanding occasionally, and when they fail it tends to be epic.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

As soon as people started talking about the CIA in here, I was thinking of this operation. It kind of makes me sad for the cat. :(

I've often wondered if that cat got its own star on the wall as an agent killed in the line of duty...

Drake on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Whoever was fucking retarded enough to actually try to get cats to spy is hopefully no longer employed at the CIA.

I mean fuck it's almost impossible to train them to not vomit on your carpet or shred your furniture. And they were trying to get them to spy? wtf... "We've got a good signal. Oh wait, no, fluffy saw a bird and is wandering off/decided it's nap time/saw something shiny/got hit by a car/etc"

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And here I thought G-Force was a historical documentary

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dmanaster: RT @MattOrtega RT @petehoekstra Walked out onto Constitution Ave in D.C. and was almost hit by a taxi. Reminded me of Tienanmen Square.
    This one gave me a tremendous guffaw.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."

Goddamnit Israel.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."

Goddamnit Israel.

Fuck these guys, seriously. Pisses me off that our govt legitimizes these asshats.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes because nuclear power is only use to build nukes.

Not to power a country. Nope.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BobCesca on
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    God I hate Israel almost as much as I hate Saudi Arabia

Dsmart on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Goddamnit Israel.

Fuck these guys, seriously. Pisses me off that our govt legitimizes these asshats.

Recent poll conducted by an Israeli interest group showed that support for Israel has dropped below 50% in the US. They've been acting like asshats lately, and people are realizing it.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    I really, really, REALLY hope the CIA is capable of this but not involved because the idea of them being rendered incapable, rancid, and atrophied husks of their formers selves after the Bush and Clinton administrations would make me sad in a, "OMG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! EVERYONE ABANDON PLANET! GIMME A KNIFE! I WANT OFF THIS STUPID RIDE!" sort of way.

The CIA has never been competent.

Seriously, the more you read about the CIA, the more hilarious they become as they seem to have fucked up SO many times.

Hey, I'd like to see you successfully overthrow the government of another country.
    Not really, please don't try.
    Do itttt....

For everyone successful CIA-sponsored political overthrow, I think you get a bunch more that fail, including a few that fail spectacularly, over and over again. Because if there's one thing the CIA doesn't do, it's give up. Giving up is for pussies.

So, for every Operation Ajax or Augusto Pinochet, you have a few failures like the Bay of Pigs. And you get at least one hilarious failure, like the repeated attempts to kill him with everything from poison lip balm to exploding cigars. Yes, the same kind you see you Bugs Bunny Cartoons.

Fidel: *BOOM* ....of course you realize, this means war. *turns his beard around so it's back on the front of his face*

So....they do occasionally not screw up. But they're not what the KGB was, or the Mossad is now. And they go very well with 'Yakkity Sax'. In all seriousness, overthrowing an established nation with a centralized government is difficult no matter who you are. I think the CIA may have gotten a little too big for its pants since its formation and numerous earlier successes, though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Goddamnit Israel.

I don't like the way they've phrased it, but he's not lying about Mousavi's previous policies against Israel. I know he's now seen as a moderate, but he was pretty hard-line in the 80's about many, many things.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone with an account tweet this to Hoekstra:

"Woke up this morning and was out of cereal - felt like The Great Leap Forward."

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There they are right now, being suppressed by Hamas, etc.

To me that is as if riot police from canada showed up in new york.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goddamnit Israel.
    "Wa-ah, if Mousavi wins, we'll have to work harder to try and justify our nonsense"

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »

Goddamnit Israel.

I don't like the way they've phrased it, but he's not lying about Mousavi's previous policies against Israel. I know he's now seen as a moderate, but he was pretty hard-line in the 80's about many, many things.

Oh he's got a point. However, priorities should be at least considered somewhat. I mean, when there's a fucking revolution going on you really shouldn't be potentially inflaming the situation by saying stuff like the above as how one's government should still approach the country.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

"Woke up this morning and was out of cereal - felt like The Great Leap Forward."
    "Bus was super crowded this morning and I didn't even get a seat - felt like I was stuffed in a cattle car . . ."

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »

Goddamnit Israel.

Oh he's got a point. However, priorities should be at least considered somewhat. I mean, when there's a fucking revolution going on you really shouldn't be potentially inflaming the situation by saying stuff like the above as how one's government should still approach the country.

Israel is really only interested in how this would impact Iran's nuclear program, support for Hezbollah, Hamas, and other groups, and stability. Israel is right that Moussavi would not abandon Iran's quest for nuclear arms. I am more hopeful that he would scale back the support for Hezbollah, especially with Hezbollah's losses in the recent election in Lebanon.

Israel's priorities are the same as they've always been. Keep Israel safe. It's easier for us to be heartened by the situation in Iran when we have a lot of space between us and potential Iranian nukes. That said, I disagree with Israel's priorities in Iran, especially because many Iranians support normalizing relations with Israel. I also believe this kind of rhetoric stemming from the mindset that automatically assumes Iran is the eternal enemy of Israel is counterproductive and out of date. There are fundamental changes in Iranian culture that the Israeli establishment seems unable to comprehend.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This whole russia conspiracy issue is fascinating especially with the prez being in russia right now. I wonder how much of it has merit.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

"Bus was super crowded this morning and I didn't even get a seat - felt like I was stuffed in a cattle car . . ."

Hey now, I was stuck in traffic this morning with my windows down and got stuck next to a truck blowing exhaust at me. Totally holocaust level suffering for that stoplight.

kildy on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    This whole russia conspiracy issue is fascinating especially with the prez being in russia right now. I wonder how much of it has merit.

Likely none of it. The country is so pissed about people meddling in their affairs, both sides are likely to have bogeyman rumors of foreign involvement.

kildy on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

Goddamnit Israel.

Recent poll conducted by an Israeli interest group showed that support for Israel has dropped below 50% in the US. They've been acting like asshats [strike]lately[/strike], and lately people are realizing it.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Probably not much.

I'd wager the rumor started because he was in Russia and for no other reason.

Yall on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    kildy wrote: »

Likely none of it. The country is so pissed about people meddling in their affairs, both sides are likely to have bogeyman rumors of foreign involvement.

Both sides are; The pro-Ahmeni side started saying the US was involved in the last day as well (as expected). His being in Russia just made perfect fuel for the "Russia helped!" rumor.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Hezbollah, but same thing. It would be like the NYPD trained the canadians and then called them over, except instead of police, they were bloomberg's private militia.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yall wrote: »

Probably not much.

I'd wager the rumor started because he was in Russia and for no other reason.

Well, Russia does supply Iran with arms so the connection between the two states is well-documented. If any state were to help Iran oppress its citizens, it would be Russia.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Hezbollah, but same thing. It would be like the NYPD trained the canadians and then called them over, except instead of police, they were bloomberg's private militia.

It's ansar Hezbollah, Iran's version of Hezbollah.

So it would be like the NYPD training a bunch of thugs from Brooklyn to be Bloomberg's private militia in Manhattan. An important distinction.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Russia (and previously, the USSR) has something of a history with Iran. The Russians were helping them with their reactors, for instance.

Wikipedia, naturally, has a page dedicated to this subject.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

If things seem to be going the way you don't want, blame the Russians. Doesn't matter why, you just need someone to blame. They're our (Americans) Jews, basically. But I'm a cynic.

Synthesis on
This discussion has been closed.