As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

7-11 Games now 10.00 $ Appears to be Austin, TX only,

28682868 Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
I don't know if it is company wide. But I was just in 7-11 buying a Dr. Pepper and a cop was taking a break from the heat by hanging out talking to the cashiers. He was talking about how the last time he was in there he bought a game for 30 bucks.

The manager said, oh, they are all 10 bucks. The cop said I'll take Fallout 3 then.

This was in Austin TX, at the 7-11 on S. Lamar Blvd and Barton Skwy.

They had some Wrath of the Lich King, a Wrestling game for 360, and Quantum of Solace for PS3.

I am really poor, I only had 6.00, or I would have bought a game and photo'd the receipt for proof.

Anyway, worth looking into.

Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
2868 on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't even know 7-11 sold games. Someone else needs to confirm. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Hah, really? It was all the rage on the main page for a while, because they scoffed at release dates.

Anyway, yeah, confirm. They games weren't labeled 9.99, but when he scanned it that's what it read. No override adjustments made in the system or anything.

So just ask them to scan the game and see what the price says if you do confirm.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Only some locations sell games, like this 7-11 across the street from one of the biggest universities in the US (the 7-11 referred to by the OP).

I think they started back when Halo 2 came out. Or halo3. It was one of the halos, anyway.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halo 3 was their test case.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If it's $10, it sounds like they're getting out of the biz.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    If it's $10, it sounds like they're getting out of the biz.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I doubt they could afford to do this consistently....

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

20080908.jpg

I have just about every gas station other than 7-11 around here, so oh well.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hmmm, a quick scan of cheapassgamer.com didn't pull up anything on this, and they're pretty good about finding out about deals quickly. Maybe it's just that store?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks like I'm swinging by on my way home!

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They are getting out of the business. That's what the feller said behind the register. He said, selling games were a "test case." I guess the tests didn't work out.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    2868 wrote: »
    They are getting out of the business. That's what the feller said behind the register. He said, selling games were a "test case." I guess the tests didn't work out.

I don't think they advertised games very well there honestly. It seems like its not a big impulse item either which is what 7-11 is comprised of.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

20080908.jpg

I have just about every gas station other than 7-11 around here, so oh well.
    Same here. I don't even know where one is.

I still have an expired coupon for a slurpee in my Halo 2 limited edition case.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think they advertised games very well there honestly. It seems like its not a big impulse item either which is what 7-11 is comprised of.
    Exactly.

"Yeah, I'll take this Slurpee, the Slim Jims, a Lotto Scratcher aaaaaaand that sixty dollar video game".

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Curse my lack of proximity to a 7-11! Ah well, I'll be happy to reimburse anyone kind enough to get Fallout 3 for the 360 for me. (Got it on Gamefly at the moment.)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Exactly.

"Yeah, I'll take this Slurpee, the Slim Jims, a Lotto Scratcher aaaaaaand that sixty dollar video game".

It would make sense if they sold those shitty budget games or games that have been discounted down extremely quickly kind of like what they do with DVD movies.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man I'm 30 min from the nearest 7 11

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think there are any 360 games retailing for under $20 at the moment though, are there? At least I've never seen any in any Target or other store I've been to.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't think there are any 360 games retailing for under $20 at the moment though, are there? At least I've never seen any in any Target or other store I've been to.

Nope. Which is why this is awesome if true.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The one week I'm visiting my parents and not roughly three minutes from a 7-11.
    Taranis wrote: »

I thought all of Kennesaw was covered in those things. Seems like I see twelve just driving through.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The sev I stop by almost every morning still has little pre-order cards for RE5, Halo Wars and SF4. I'll have to see if they actually have any copies, I'd pick up RE5 for $10 in a heartbeat.

Thrack on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think some of the platinum games are about that cheap. Amazon has PGR3 and Kameo for 20 bucks each. There has to be a decent amount of games that have sold poorly and need to get rid of extra inventory at really low prices. A local Dollar Store has some Brute Force copies for example.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They also had PS3 games, WotLK.

Dang it, I am gonna go buy one then I'll sell it to someone in the thread. Fallout 3 if they have one. The 7-11 on the corner sold the last one to a cop.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We had a lot of them where I grew up, but there isn't one anywhere near here. Pretty sure the ones in northern virginia have them, at least last time I visited.

freakish light on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ...away I go!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    The one week I'm visiting my parents and not roughly three minutes from a 7-11.

I thought all of Kennesaw was covered in those things. Seems like I see twelve just driving through.

Which road did you see one on? Google maps says the nearest one is in either Rome or Atlanta. I can't think of one that's close.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Eh, checked out my nearby 7-11 and it didnt look like they ever stocked games. :?

muninn on
  • Options
    Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any confirmation on this? I've got about three 7-11s within fifteen minutes of my house.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can confirm this for the at the 26th and Guadalupe location as well. Next to the jack-in-the-box, across from campus.

I just posted this on an extremely popular Longhorns message board. Expect all 7-11's in austin to be picked clean within the hour.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Google mapped it, and there isn't a 7-11 within an hour of driving distance from me! :x
    EDIT: I have to go out of state to find one!

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn, I can't get away from work to the 7-11 for another four hours. :?

Hopefully it's not picked clean. Even if I can only find 360 games, that's still good for GameStop credit or something.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's like 14 within 10 miles of me. I will swing by one of the larger ones since half of them are gas station amalgamations.

I might find something neat for cheap.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can confirm this for the at the 26th and Guadalupe location as well. Next to the jack-in-the-box, across from campus.

I just posted this on an extremely popular Longhorns message board. Expect all 7-11's in austin to be picked clean within the hour.

What'd they have? I'm down in that area a lot.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, I was able to sneak away for a few, and while mine has games, they are all still full-priced. I ask the clerks about it and they knew nothing. [tiny]Of course.[/tiny]

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Maybe the clerk in the OP was bribing the cop?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It looks confirmed for austin area 7-11s. I went to the one on Manchaca and ben-white. They only had 007 and WotLK. I didn't buy one even though I said I would.

You have to ask the clerks to scan the games. They are all marked at full price.

Sonic Retard is also in Austin.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Maybe the clerk in the OP was bribing the cop?

Hah, I thought of that. Except the clerk offered me games too. I was only interested in Fallout 3 cause I knew some folks who would want it. The cop had already called dibs.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh jeez... and I thought this was some game about working in a convenience store in a seedy part of town.

They could call it "Graveyard Shift."

I'd pay 10 bucks for that sorta experience.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll swing by my nearby 7-11. I don't remember if they sold games there.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Con-fangle it, my local 7-Eleven isn't picking up the phone. I mean, I could just walk, but these places are all about convenience amirite.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bleh. Apparently the 7-11s near me haven't even heard of this. I went to ring up Halo Wars (not my first [or second or fourth] choice) and it came up as 60 bucks. Boo. :(

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif