As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Apple 2009 WWDC Keynote

1101112131416»

• HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is probably just in the manual, but can you confirm that both the memory and HDD are user-upgradeable?

Yep. The manual gives specific instructions on upgrading both with no mention of voiding the warranty. Also, there's no warning sticker on the RAM or HDD saying not to or to have a an authorized repair technician do it. There's no mention of replacing the battery in the manual, but the sticker/label on the battery explicitly mentions not to remove it.

wunderbar: I'll give it a proper power-cycle or two and then a week to condition it a bit and get back to you.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so I just found out that if you authorize iTunes to your account, you can update your iPhone/iPod from any computer, without losing data, so I'm doing that now from work.

should be exciting.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Noooo....thwarted! The iphone activation servers must be swamped or something, cause im getting a "could not reach iphone activation server" error message during the update. Why me?!

joshua1 on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You and thousands of others. AT&T's shit can't handle it.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited June 2009
    For Australians too?

joshua1 on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    iPod touch, first Gen, at 3.0

no wifi where I am, and since I sync my contacts/calenadar with google sync OTA, I've lost them till I get home tonight. Spotlight search is awesome, there's some nice podcast enhancements, and copy paste works. There's search in the iPod app, and if feels a little snappier. Other than that I can't test too much out till I get home and have wifi.

Edit: Also, if you unplug your headphones, at least on the 1G touch with no external speaker, the volume slider disappears completely. a little disconcerting when I first loaded up 3.0 with no headphones in and started playing a song. took me a few min of panic to figure out.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    edit: found it

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited June 2009
    Eugh, now I can't get the update server at all on my other machine that I was trying. HURGH. I want to be able to send pictures of my wang via my phone! Damn you apple!
    I don't actually want to send pictures of my wang

joshua1 on
    edited June 2009
    [strike]Hmm. I did my patented Black Background Screen Test™ and the display seems better than my friend's MacBook, but it still suffers from poor vertical viewing angles. I did a side-by-side with a 15" and the 15" is still superior.

I had a feeling this would happen. I think Apple is probably still shipping the new MacBook "Pro" models with old MB displays until they run out of them. Part of my reasoning behind this is the fact that every site I've read so far has mentioned it having a Hitachi HDD, and a SATA l interface, whereas the MacBook typically had Fujitsu drives and only ever had SATA ll as far as I'm aware.
    My 13" MBP has both a Fujitsu(with the annoying head-parking click every minute or so), and SATA ll. I wanted to wait longer before getting one in the hopes that the remaining MB parts would get used up, but I needed a computer asap. Damn you Apple, pawning off old parts on me. Though I'm glad to have SATA ll, I doubt I'll ever use it, and I'd much rather have a nicer display.

Here's hoping the display dies and I get a new one through AppleCare.

=\[/strike]

I'm a big fat moron. See below.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    what..... they sold you a machine that they claimed was a new model, but wasn't? I don't know about you, but that seems grounds to get a machine with the parts you actually agreed to buy.

joshua1 on
    edited June 2009
    [strike]Legally I have no ground to stand on. Unless the display is incapable of the declared capabilities(such as the colour-gamut specs), it's not technically false advertising or a defect. I'll test the colour gamut and see what the results are. I can always go to the Apple store and return/exchange it, but I bet they'd charge a restocking fee and the units they have will also probably have the same display right now. In fact, they don't have any at the store near me yet.[/strike](I'm a big fat moron. See below.)

Edit: On another note, it seems to be running substantially cooler. I'll grab some temp readings performing the same tasks on the MBP and the MB.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    but don't the specs state what HDD you should have? isn't that enough of a difference? Or will they say that all you need to know is the HDD size and rpm?

joshua1 on
    edited June 2009
    As far as I know Apple has never stated/advertised the brand of HDD. Personally, I could care less what brand of HDD is in it, as I'm replacing it with a SSD(which is the nice thing about having SATA ll).

If Apple did that, I can guarantee they'd have some fine-print stating the brand of HDD may not be exactly as advertised and that Apple reserves the right to provide an equivalent HDD of another brand.

[strike]Edit: Here's Apple's spec sheet on my model's display:

Display

* 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
    * Supported resolutions: 1280 by 800 (native), 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio stretched; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio stretched

Here's the 13" MacBook:

Display

* 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
    * Supported resolutions: 1280 by 800 (native), 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio

Virtually identical aside from some extra aspect ratio information. So I can't claim false advertising. The only claim I know of that Apple made was that the gamut was improved, which is vague, and I only heard it said at the WWDC. It's not written anywhere. So if I can prove the gamut is no better, and quote Schiller's keynote, then I might have a case.[/strike]

Edit2: On another side-note, I'm not sure if it's due to the cramped/thin design, but the USB ports are considerably harder to insert and remove devices/cables from than my old powerbook and Mac Pro at work. I noticed this with my friend's macbook, but my MBP seems to be even worse. I hope it doesn't wear out my USB key, I use that thing constantly.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Edit3: I'm a big fat moron. I calibrated my display, and maybe it was the lighting in the room or something(as calibration doesn't fix viewing angle issues), because the viewing angle seems great now. Little-to-no desaturation/gradation when I view solid black(unless looking from way below), only slight variation on solid white. So if anyone was waylaid by my impressions of the display, ignore my previous complaining.

However, I still hate that anything wider than Apple's keyboard or iPod USB cable won't fit when the other port is in use. I have to constantly unplug my keyboard & mouse in order to use my USB key. It feels incredibly stupid having 2 ports and only being able to use one at a time.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Apparently the 2G iPhones aren't getting MMS messaging with the 3.0 update. What the fuck, Apple? Seriously? Someone explain the logic behind this to me.

Esh on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Then again, neither does no video capture for 3G / 2G phones.

Ego on
    Erik
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually because of AT&T. They want to get people on 2G iPhones to trade up to a 3G or 3G S phone and stay for another 2 years.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually because of AT&T. They want to get people on 2G iPhones to trade up to a 3G or 3G S phone and stay for another 2 years.

I'd trade up if they weren't trying to charge me $499 for a 3Gs even though I already have service with them.

Esh on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I genuinely would like the video camera abilities of the 3G S, but I'm not going to upgrade to get a feature that I know the hardware of the 3G is capable of providing.

Ego on
    Erik
  • KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How long do you guys suppose it'll be before the iPod Touches offered for free to college students come with 3.0 installed?

the deal goes until early September, so it's not like there's a huge rush.

Kriz on
    edited June 2009
    Kriz wrote: »
    How long do you guys suppose it'll be before the iPod Touches offered for free to college students come with 3.0 installed?

the deal goes until early September, so it's not like there's a huge rush.

My guess would be not until the iPod refresh in September, actually. Have not heard any plans to preload iPod touch with 3.0. Will just have to wait and see.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited June 2009
    What Talley said. I can guarantee that whether or not they release a 3rd gen Touch in sept, you'll be waiting at least until then for the 2nd gen to have 3.0 pre-installed(if at all).

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    People still use firewire?

I mean, I still use firewire, but that's just because I have no motivation to upgrade a ten year old scanner and I only 'use' it in the sense that the scanner is plugged in. I haven't actually scanned anything in at least five years.

Ok, and my first gen iPod is firewire too. Carry on Apple, Firewire appears to be a grave of your own making.

Actually, lots of people still use firewire. More in the professional space, but it's still used a lot. it's still the preferred interface for the pro Video Cameras, and high end external drives use Firewire.
    I find it hard to believe that either of those applications actually accounts for "lots" of people. It'd be interesting to see stats on how many Mac users do. Its gotta be lower than the number of people who have monitors with vga adaptors or express cards for their laptops. IMO, Apple's just weird about this shit. They put out a big push for Firewire years ago, and they're a bit scared to go back on it now. They didn't put out a big push for any of those other things so they don't feel any impetus to stick with them.

Isn't USB3 due out next year? I expect to see Firewire finally die then.

Even though USB is more popular by leaps and bounds, to keep upgrading it is basically one gigantic hack on top of itself. USB is also still cpu bound meaning for USB to go faster it needs faster computers. You're probably not going to see embedded devices use USB3 anytime soon. Hell, a lot of them still use USB1.

Firewire does not have this problem, and is currently still cheaper (from what I remember) to implement since Apple does not charge a royalty. They also have an extremely large firewire-based market.

The SD slot kind of gets around both, though. It's much faster to take the SD card out of my camera and put it into a SD slot on a computer to pull the files off rather than the 'easier' method of hooking up the USB cable.

FyreWulff on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Upgraded my touch yesterday to 3.0 :) Awesome, worth the entry price for Spotlight alone, finally I can search my music collection properly!

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Next month I'm going to get one of the new iPhones, and upgrade my 1st gen 2006 MBP to a new model.

I'll be in a mac induced coma I think.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Apple's "strict accounting rules" is bullshit. I'm not paying to upgrade my touch to 3.0 especially considering how little difference it makes on the Touch.

Zoolander on
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    fantastic

Baron Dirigible on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you could always use one of the 3.0 upgrade floating around the web we already talked about earlier in the thread....

ronzo on
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, after doing some research I'm going to wait till 3.0's jailbroken and switch to that. One of my co-workers has a jailbroken 2.0, he showed me the awesome stuff you can do.

Zoolander on
    edited June 2009
    This Macrumors thread on 3.0 secrets may be relevant to your interests (Some of you, anyway):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=715629

Cameron_Talley on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    Oh hey, this is over, and alluding to illegal conduct, yeah, not allowed so don't do it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.