As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

1565758596062»

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, it pretty much is those dirty console owners' faults :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glad to see Valve at least putting effort into the consoles. Will prove highly lucrative for them in the future I think.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think it already has. Left 4 Dead was in the US top ten sales chart for months.

EDIT: 360 NPDs from vgsales.wikia.com
    Nov. 08: 410k
    Dec. 08: 629K
    Jan. 09: 243k
    Feb. 09: Dunno, but still placed in the top twenty for the month.

Admittedly, vgsales gets stuff wrong. (They screwed up their May sales numbers by listing the Wii Fit number twice.) But I double checked on 1UP.

Valve did quality work on L4D 360. I played it at PAX, and it felt great. And I'm usually a mouse & keyboard snob. Moving $60 million of product in two months validated that effort, so I'm sure they'll keep it up. The main obstacles to Valve providing a better experience on the 360 are Microsoft (you will go through our certification and nothing can be free without a fight) and the 360 itself (units with no hard drive and other hardware limitations).

Blain on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blain wrote: »
    Admittedly, vgsales gets stuff wrong.

I wouldn't trust them to tell me whether it's cold in Alaska.
    Valve did quality work on L4D 360. I played it at PAX, and it felt great. And I'm usually a mouse & keyboard snob. Moving $60 million of product in two months validated that effort, so I'm sure they'll keep it up. The main obstacles to Valve providing a better experience on the 360 are Microsoft (you will go through our certification and nothing can be free without a fight) and the 360 itself (units with no hard drive and other hardware limitations).

They talked about this with TF2 recently. One of the main issues they're having is that on release they were already really pushing memory to the limit. It's quite a significant problem trying to get the extra stuff in.

Not that it excuses why they've taken so long even for major bug fixes though. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought the certification process explained that.

Blain on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    tejini wrote: »

That's fucking awesome.

EDIT Do you have a link to download the mp3 for that?

It sounds very RPG-soundtrack-remixed, so I dunno if it'd be fitting, but damn it's a fine tune if I do say so myself. Kudos to you, sir.

Also:
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Yeah, it pretty much is those dirty console owners' faults :P

:( Ow dude.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Blain wrote: »
    I thought the certification process explained that.

It explains a delay of about a month, which is usually what happens with L4D. With TF2 they were left waiting for much, much longer. I've heard complaints that some bugs still remain unpatched but I don't know how true those are.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Sorenson wrote: »
    What I will talk about L4D2, though, is why the press releases for L4D2 have all this info on the survivors: I thought that one of the things Valve did with 1 is to keep mum as much as possible about them so the launch day experience would be complete surprise, but already we've got Uncle Phil and Arrested Development jokes going around.

I think the approach is different this go, in so much as they have stressed a stronger narrative with the survivors, including characters arcs across the four campaigns. So my guess is that for as much as they've told us, it sounds like there's tons in store for them yet.

Besides which, how much do we really know about these guys apart from their backgrounds? I mean we knew that back before L4D1 as well, Zoey was a college student who watched zombie movies instead of studying, Louis worked at an Electronics store, Francis was a biker and Bill was a war veteran.

It's not like they've spoiled any running jokes they might have, like Bill's dislike of Francis, or Francis' hatred of everything.

Have you noticed that you're disturbing some shit that had pretty much settled down for no good reason whatsoever? I'm just curious.

EDIT the irony of me saying this is not lost on me

Missed this response, but what exactly was I disturbing? We were just discussing the characters of L4D2. o_O

subedii on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    EA's page for Left 4 Dead 2 says that it's coming for PS3. A bit weird considering what Valve have said about the PS3 in the past.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    EA's page for Left 4 Dead 2 says that it's coming for PS3. A bit weird considering what Valve have said about the PS3 in the past.
    I have a bit of a crappy computer and I hate paying for Live, so this might be right up my alley.

Darlan on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    m4v1s, bigWAH, Buster and I just had the best antistomp ever. All four of us parachuted down from the highest building at the start of NM2 and landed on the survivors as they left :lol:

Buster kept crouching 3 inches away from them and they didn't kill him.

We kept trying to lose to get them to stay but they were just so bad

They caught on to us by the fourth map.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

it seems like they caught their error, its not listed for PS3 anymore as far as I can see.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

it seems like they caught their error, its not listed for PS3 anymore as far as I can see.

If it were coming for the PS3 it would be another EA "Please let us do this, we promise we'll make it a good 'un" port. EA have already shown they're even less inclined to continue supporting the title after release than Valve (and even Valve have been keeping a pretty good track record with L4D on the 360 so far).

With Left 4 Dead, post release support is pretty crucial. At the moment Valve simply don't have the means to develop for the PS3 (The Orange Box was originally never going to be on the PS3 until EA insisted they could do a good job of it), and EA doing it would likely mean it becomes Left 2 Rot once the initial sales window is over.

subedii on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Took part in my first stomp turned anti-stomp turned stomp. Was an interesting experience. We pulled an apparently quite convincing loss on NM4 and some recent joiner on the other team thought he was winning for real and started gloating and getting really ugly (and racist). He's kind of getting on my nerves so we turn around and 4-cap them on the witch as infected on map 4 and then escape handily on 5. Then, of course, he ragequits.

Doing the stomp reversal really highlights how awful some people are. I guess their motto is to gloat and mock when you win, and quit when you think you might lose.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh hey

a new thread

MrDelish on