As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Working from home

XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
soooooo

I know there are a hundred scams about making money at home (fill out this survey and get $100.00 and sell these awesome new multi-vitamins etc. etc.), but are there any legit ways?

It seems like there must be -some- way to make some money at home

anyone have any ideas or know of anything legit?

Xaquin on

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Medical transcriptionists can work from home and make decent money at it. You've just got to be okay with transcribing medical procedures that may not have gone well.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    apacke09apacke09 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It depends on your skillset and whether this is a short term or a long term goal.

I have a computer science degree and I currently work from home and I have a great job. However, they didn't let me work from home right away, I had to drive in and work in a cubicle for my first two years there.

So my advice is to figure out which jobs are most likely to allow for telecommuting and see what fits you and then go after obtaining the necessary skillset.

If you're talking about short term, you want to be working from home right f*in now, well I'm afraid I've never heard of anything legit. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I've just never heard of it.

apacke09 on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There are some jobs as such that are easy but they typically fall into three categories

1) Pay extremely poorly if not at all
    2) Are extremely hard to get (yeah, you aren't the only person who wants to work at home)
    3) Require a specific career and typically a lot of experience. Not a lot of entry level computer programmers get to work at home.

or. if you like kids, get a license and run a day care.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This isn't so much for me as for my wife.

WE're just kind of looking for ways to make money. My work hours have been scaled back and right now it's easier and cheaper for her to stay home with our son (daycare in MD is EXPENSIVE). I figured I'd see if anyone knows of a good way to make a buck from home. We'll definetly look into the transcription thing as she is pretty good at typing and is a CNA so she knows a good few medical terms.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Xaquin wrote: »
    This isn't so much for me as for my wife.

WE're just kind of looking for ways to make money. My work hours have been scaled back and right now it's easier and cheaper for her to stay home with our son (daycare in MD is EXPENSIVE). I figured I'd see if anyone knows of a good way to make a buck from home. We'll definetly look into the transcription thing as she is pretty good at typing and is a CNA so she knows a good few medical terms.
    If she's a CNA, she might be able to break into the medical transcription thing. It is otherwise very difficult.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Start your own business and run it from home...?

I mean, you could get into that Amazon Mechanical Turk thing or whatever but only if you don't value yourself, your wife or indeed time itself.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll second starting a small daycare like Jasconius said. Especially since your wife is already watching your kid and it a CNA.

I'm a bit confused that if she is a CNA surely she'd make more doing that then you save by her staying home with the kid. I know daycare is expensive by shouldn't be THAT expensive.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Depending upon local laws you may be able to take care of 3-4 children without having to do any kind of formal registration or licensing.

This of course varies by location, but in urban areas good daycare is balls out expensive and your kid has to be wait-listed for years. Like if you think you need to put the kid in at 18 months he/she better be on the list before delivery.

Edit: If you're cool with going to a big chain daycare service, you can probably approach $10-12/hr assuming the kid's there at least 20 hrs/week. Of course you need to vet your childcare provider, but we usually need to pay $20-25/hour to get someone we're comfortable with (usually not licensed/registered). Personally I'll take an unlicensed one-to-one or two-to-one over Kindercare. The smaller, more expensive, better ratio childcare places that have staffing I get a good feel for are booked and have deep waitlists.

Djeet on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Even if you can, don't start an unlicensed daycare unless you have friends that want you to watch their kids. Being licensed is a huge requirement for childcare - no matter how nice your place looks people aren't going to leave their kids at your house if you aren't running a licensed daycare.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    I'll second starting a small daycare like Jasconius said. Especially since your wife is already watching your kid and it a CNA.

I'm a bit confused that if she is a CNA surely she'd make more doing that then you save by her staying home with the kid. I know daycare is expensive by shouldn't be THAT expensive.

the hospitals/nursing homes/special needs centers all start at $8.00 hr. IF they're even hiring unfortunately.

Xaquin on