The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DDO] D&D Online now free to play!

1235726

Posts

  • HavelockHavelock Registered User
    edited June 2009
    So I guess if Bluff is an aggro dump, then mobs getting to make an Int check is right out the window, eh?

  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I don't understand the whole idea of bringing the "trinity" of tank/heal/dps into D+D. All the classes were supposed to be able to take a real beating, clerics just happened to have a few heal spells.

  • RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Yeah I don't understand the whole idea of bringing the "trinity" of tank/heal/dps into D+D. All the classes were supposed to be able to take a real beating, clerics just happened to have a few heal spells.

    This would depend entirely on which edition you're talking about. (Oh hai, d4 hp pool wizards with no defensive tools.)

  • HavelockHavelock Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    Yeah I don't understand the whole idea of bringing the "trinity" of tank/heal/dps into D+D. All the classes were supposed to be able to take a real beating, clerics just happened to have a few heal spells.

    This would depend entirely on which edition you're talking about. (Oh hai, d4 hp pool wizards with no defensive tools.)

    I'm only familiar with 2nd through 3.5 ed. I have no idea what 4th did to wizards and their d4 hit dice.

  • dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    oops

    dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My wife just got in invite to the beta, but won't be able to play. So it seems I have an extra beta key. First come first served.

    [EDIT] GONE

    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    Yeah I don't understand the whole idea of bringing the "trinity" of tank/heal/dps into D+D. All the classes were supposed to be able to take a real beating, clerics just happened to have a few heal spells.

    This would depend entirely on which edition you're talking about. (Oh hai, d4 hp pool wizards with no defensive tools.)

    2nd ed mages were gods and kings after level 5.

  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game is based on 3.5 or something right? Just registered for beta.

    U7CHA.jpg
  • dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're my hero, Dr Face!

    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    what "beta" are you people even talking about? DDO has been out for years

    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    Yeah I don't understand the whole idea of bringing the "trinity" of tank/heal/dps into D+D. All the classes were supposed to be able to take a real beating, clerics just happened to have a few heal spells.

    This would depend entirely on which edition you're talking about. (Oh hai, d4 hp pool wizards with no defensive tools.)

    2nd ed mages were gods and kings after level 5.

    Uh yeah. If your opponent didn't have his own mages, mages were the ultimate tank. Since you couldn't, you know, hurt them.

    1208768734831.jpg
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    but so many of their defensive spells can be cast on actual tanks. though a lot of the bonuses from the spells completely override any armor/shield bonuses.

    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man the rest system is so aggravating.

    I understand they're trying to keep it D&D like(pre-4th) with "Per Day" being the one true system, but fucking really? If I'm not in an encounter I still have to head back to the rest shrine to recharge my spell points? And I'm a goddamn sorcerer with 20 Charisma, what is life like as a Mage?

    Also the whole no self-healing outside of potions and somewhat at the shrines.

    Parts of this game feel like they're just intentionally obtuse and aggravating so that it's close to D&D proper or whatever. Like it's ok to change things to make them not suck in a game world.

  • omega71omega71 Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have an extra beta key as well.

    PM me and I will send it your way.

    edit- gone.

    24.24.2.2148
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wren they are making DDO free to play with optional pay content / chr classes and races, and some of the content. So they have had to redo some of the way you interact with the game, so need to do a beta for it.

    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so its a test server? oh ok. mmos have those but they arent called betas

    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    so its a test server? oh ok. mmos have those but they arent called betas

    It's a beta of the new free to play and buyable micropayment stuff mode.

  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sounds like a different billing plan, so besides the instances being seperated now (or something, whatever it means by stuff thats not in stormreach) , whats so beta? is stormreach open now and not instanced perhaps so some stuff actually feels like its outside the city?

    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Man the rest system is so aggravating.

    I understand they're trying to keep it D&D like(pre-4th) with "Per Day" being the one true system, but fucking really? If I'm not in an encounter I still have to head back to the rest shrine to recharge my spell points? And I'm a goddamn sorcerer with 20 Charisma, what is life like as a Mage?

    Also the whole no self-healing outside of potions and somewhat at the shrines.

    Parts of this game feel like they're just intentionally obtuse and aggravating so that it's close to D&D proper or whatever. Like it's ok to change things to make them not suck in a game world.

    I've never played DDO, but when 4th edition came out, I sorta thought it was to address problems like this... as if WotC was finally conceding that their rules system is going to be used every bit as much (if not more) in video games as tabletop. So they made rules that really came off as 'tabletop WoW' to me when I first heard about them.

    This is not to say the rules are bad... I've listened to several of the podcasts that Tycho and Gabe did and it sounds pretty fantastic actually, but yeah an MMO made with 4th ed. rules probably wouldn't have to change much if anything to work really well. I hope someone actually does it.

  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love 4th ed. I think it fixes about 99% of the stupid involved in D&D.

    But yeah, it's like they're distinctly ignoring 4th ed for the MMO to make it more D&D like. They changed a few things(No shit like 1 spell per day for 1st level wizards, for instance), but instead of actually changing them to mechanics that made sense, they changed them to mechanics that evoke the stupid of 3rd edition.

  • ReitenReiten Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    What are the tank classes? Paladin makes sense, but does fighter work too?

    The top end tanks in the MMO sense are mostly fighter since Intimidate is a class skill for them. Build for AC. Several other classes can also achieve very high AC (monks and rangers usually and in the beta, paladin should also work with the new prestige calsses), but without intimidate as a class skill, they can't always control an encounter. This is especially true on high end raid bosses.

    Bluff helps you get sneak and flanking attacks. Diplomacy is the deaggro skill.

    Spot also helps you see mobs that are hidden, which is useful for scouting types.

    Check out the class/build subforums on the DDO forums. There are a lot of good and interesting builds there. For tanks, look for intimitank builds. With the new prestige classes being added, top intimitanks will probably be at least Fighter 18.

    Someone was asking about ruleset. The game was designed long before 4.0 came out, so it mostly follows 3.5.

  • EchoEcho staring is caring Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    What respec options are there in DDO? I don't really want to utterly shaft myself if I can avoid it.

  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Basically, only enhancements are respeccable easily. Costs money and you can only do it every three days or something like that. You can't redo skills and feats are a real pain in the ass to redo because they require dragonshards.

    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • ReitenReiten Registered User
    edited June 2009
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Basically, only enhancements are respeccable easily. Costs money and you can only do it every three days or something like that. You can't redo skills and feats are a real pain in the ass to redo because they require dragonshards.

    Feats aren't that bad to respec. You can easily buy the shards on the auction house, you'll find them in chests or just ask anyone that has been playing the game for a while. They'll have extras. Just ask in general chat and I'm sure you'll get some help. I believe they're increasing the drop rate of shard fragments in the new update, so they should be there in the beta. Siberys (sp?) shards are the ones you need for feats.

    They've talked about allowing skill point respec, but it isn't there yet and won't be in the near future.

  • DisDis Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Reiten wrote: »
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Basically, only enhancements are respeccable easily. Costs money and you can only do it every three days or something like that. You can't redo skills and feats are a real pain in the ass to redo because they require dragonshards.

    Feats aren't that bad to respec. You can easily buy the shards on the auction house, you'll find them in chests or just ask anyone that has been playing the game for a while. They'll have extras. Just ask in general chat and I'm sure you'll get some help. I believe they're increasing the drop rate of shard fragments in the new update, so they should be there in the beta. Siberys (sp?) shards are the ones you need for feats.

    They've talked about allowing skill point respec, but it isn't there yet and won't be in the near future.

    It will probably be there one day as a MICRO TRANSACTION feature.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    See thats not so bad - say $3 to respec, Id pay that.

  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    See thats not so bad - say $3 to respec, Id pay that.

    I would probably be willing to pay $3-5 for a respec if I really cared to keep the character that badly, say if I went the completely wrong direction with stats and knew I would benefit greatly from redistributing stats... as I think anyone would in the long run.

    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

    Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • DisDis Registered User
    edited June 2009
    JamesDM wrote: »
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    See thats not so bad - say $3 to respec, Id pay that.

    I would probably be willing to pay $3-5 for a respec if I really cared to keep the character that badly, say if I went the completely wrong direction with stats and knew I would benefit greatly from redistributing stats... as I think anyone would in the long run.

    I doubt it be so cheap.
    Since "NAME CHANGES" for most MMOs cost more than that.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    JamesDM wrote: »
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    See thats not so bad - say $3 to respec, Id pay that.

    I would probably be willing to pay $3-5 for a respec if I really cared to keep the character that badly, say if I went the completely wrong direction with stats and knew I would benefit greatly from redistributing stats... as I think anyone would in the long run.

    I doubt it be so cheap.
    Since "NAME CHANGES" for most MMOs cost more than that.

    Name changes probably take more work server side I would imagine, plus that doesn't really affect the overall gameplay experience. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see $5, $3 is wishful thinking. I guess I could see it as high as $10 but it would probably be too much for more players. Most microtransaction systems run prices similar to this.

    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

    Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Name changes often cost more than they should, because some companies feel player reputation is important and that you shouldn't be able to change names to avoid a bad rep.

    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • CaligoCaligo Registered User
    edited June 2009
    I'm having a riot so far. Level 3.5 elf Wizard!

    I've definately made some mistakes, like chosing Elemental path from character creation which spent points in Repair (wtf?). I also chose the fire rapier from the first big quest path instead of the wands that regenerate (who knew wands could regen?).

    Any other tips? I'm starting to get to the point where I need a melee minion just to do quests my level. I'm on Part 2 of the waterworks quest, where you have to go in the worm clan tunnel to rescue some guy.

    As a wizard I might have enough spell points to annihilate 20 kobolds, but there are 50+ between me and the nearest rest stone. What gives? I tried a +1 crossbow, but I don't hit very much.

  • ReitenReiten Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Since you can't twink, join a group for Waterworks or make your own. If you put in that you're new to the game, people will slow down and help you.

    Try a returning dagger. That should work better than a crossbow for you.

    Wizards have tons of skill points, so don't worry too much about that. They included Repair because arcane casters are the healers for warforged. It's not necessary, but it is logical for a cookie cutter autobuild.

  • citizen059citizen059 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a L2 Paladin but I can't advance him because I have alt-itis and keep creating new characters to tinker with.

  • DisDis Registered User
    edited June 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I have a L2 Paladin but I can't advance him because I have alt-itis and keep creating new characters to tinker with.

    And u have only 2 character slot.
    Just make a Warforge barb and go berserk.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really love disarming traps.

    I dunno why.

    Rogues in this game are fun.

    My damage sucks

    steam_sig.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Name changes often cost more than they should, because some companies feel player reputation is important and that you shouldn't be able to change names to avoid a bad rep.

    I think it is far more likely the motivation is simply market forces. The companies will charge what the market will bear.

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • citizen059citizen059 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I have a L2 Paladin but I can't advance him because I have alt-itis and keep creating new characters to tinker with.

    And u have only 2 character slot.
    Just make a Warforge barb and go berserk.

    Actually I have three. I got some points I wasn't expecting so I spent them on an extra slot, a class, and a race. :winky:

  • ReitenReiten Registered User
    edited June 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Rogues in this game are fun.

    My damage sucks

    Rogue damage comes from backstabbing. Without some special effects (deception and some other things), you'll do the most damage when you cooperate with someone else keeping the aggro so you can get your backstabbing damage. But rogues have trouble vs undead and elementals since you can't backstab them.

  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reiten wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Rogues in this game are fun.

    My damage sucks

    Rogue damage comes from backstabbing. Without some special effects (deception and some other things), you'll do the most damage when you cooperate with someone else keeping the aggro so you can get your backstabbing damage. But rogues have trouble vs undead and elementals since you can't backstab them.

    So instead you get an undead bane weapon.

  • ReitenReiten Registered User
    edited June 2009
    So instead you get an undead bane weapon.

    That will help, but rogue damage will still generally be less against undead.

This discussion has been closed.