As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for more bands like Rush.

Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so I'm on a major Rush kick right now, I'm listening to Exit Stage Left at least twice a day. Can anyone recommend a band with a similar style of music? It doesn't have to be exactly the same kind of prog-rock, the thing that I like best about Rush is the way they seem to tell stories and paint landscapes/moods with their music, the closest band to doing that I've found is Jethro Tull. I want bands that do that like Rush does in these three songs in particular:

I'll check out any suggestions anyone has. Thanks.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
Raiden333 on

• Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm on a major Rush kick right now, I'm listening to Exit Stage Left at least twice a day. Can anyone recommend a band with a similar style of music? It doesn't have to be exactly the same kind of prog-rock, the thing that I like best about Rush is the way they seem to tell stories and paint landscapes/moods with their music, the closest band to doing that I've found is Jethro Tull. I want bands that do that like Rush does in these three songs in particular:

Iron Maiden.

Look into Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Number of the Beast, and Alexander the Great for starters.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It would help if you had a little more to go on, since "bands like Rush" encompasses a whole bunch of different things. Dream Theater maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7vv5zVH54w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apPdZXNELc

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I checked out the Iron Maiden songs. While I feel it's awesome music (especially Rime), and will definitely listen to it occasionally, it's a bit too heavy for my regular tastes.

I really like that Metropolis song by DT. Especially the changes in rhythm at about 4:20 and 5:50. I like songs that have smooth changes in rhythm like that.

Learning to Live is REALLY good. I like the 0:40-1:10 or so part and the 5:30-7:00 part. I like it when certain parts of a song stand out from the rest.

Thanks, I think Dream Theater could be a new favorite band.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Steven Wilson - "Harmony Korine"

This might work for you. Maybe. Maybe not...

Esh on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Pretty much the first two coheed albums sounds like exactly what you want...
    /thread

Not only are they very Rush-esque in there sound, they are very big into telling a story. All of there albums thus far tell a story about an inter-galactic civil war called the armory war. The way they paint a scene is pretty epic.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    AthlantarAthlantar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dream Theater could be a new favorite band.

Listen to the album Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory. That album made me fall in love with Prog Rock. Systematic Chaos is an entire album of awesome tracks aswell. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is cool too. Their older stuff is also great, but those albums tend to have more weaker songs (IMO). Pull Me Under, As I Am, A Change of Seasons, Octavarium (song and album is great) are all wonderful. I could keep going :P

Spocks Beard has some good songs on Day for Night, they've got that oldish proggy sound alot of the time.
    Close to the Edge by Yes is also one of my all time favourite albums.

I could keep going, let me know if you like any of that. I'll try to find some youtube vids of the Spock's Beard and Yes stuff when I have more time.

In Prog We Trust!

ASIDE:
    This couple from someplace in Europe does acoustic covers of DT songs. All available free on their site, http://pipoelo.free.fr/music.html Its very cool.

Athlantar on
    10088847214381951643320470475858305731166183151407164751271470824235003318621252307969752086088076499395823874814123350292603347408732347765156628342107995
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Both of the songs I linked are on Images & Words, which I still think is the best album Dream Theater ever made. I would get that for sure, and Scenes from a Memory as well.

As DT went along they got farther away from that sound; I really like where they've come to on their recent 2-3 releases, but the later stuff is pretty different from their early-mid 90's albums.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    www.pandora.com

Streaming radio based on a original suggestion. Type in Rush, it will stream you songs from Rush and other similar artists.

LiveWire on
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Triumph is (was) another Canadian band that sounds almost identical to Rush. They're not quite as progish, but still really good.
    Muse has a bit of a Rush vibe to their stuff, but it might not be what you're looking for.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know you mentioned Iron Maiden being maybe a bit too heavy, so I am reluctant to recommend Tool, but they are one of the better (although apparently very polarized) modern prog rock bands. Their newer albums Lateralus and 10,000 Days are a lot more mellow than their 90s work, and they aren't fast-paced like Maiden.
    Giant Squid is pretty great, but definitely an acquired taste. Some great prog to be found there.
    Kyuss (which is Josh Homme's old band, before it disbanded and he formed Queens of the Stone Age) is some amazing and overlooked prog rock.
    These are obviously a bit heavier than Rush, but definitely don't venture into the death/metal prog scene.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I, too, am a huge Rush fan. I was going to say, as someone else did, Dream Theatre and Triumph. If you want to go a little further with the Genre, be sure to enjoy some early Styx, REO, Foreigner, and some Yes

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LiveWire wrote: »
    www.pandora.com

Streaming radio based on a original suggestion. Type in Rush, it will stream you songs from Rush and other similar artists.

When I made a Rush station on Pandora all I got was a lot of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, neither of which I would associate with Rush's musical style (Floyd better than Zep, though).

Normally I'd agree with the suggestion, but I don't think it will work in this instance :).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    Steven Wilson - "Harmony Korine"

This might work for you. Maybe. Maybe not...

why oh why can't I lime a video clip

Looking at the Similar Artists list on last.fm, I can recommend the following personally:

Yes (albums I like: Close to the Edge, Fragile, Drama)
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer (albums I like: Works, Brain Salad Surgery, Tarkus)
    Marillion (albums I like: Seasons End, Misplaced Childhood, This Strange Engine)
    King Crimson (albums I like: In the Court of the Crimson King, Discipline, Three of a Perfect Pair)

edit: also, seconding the recommendation for Spock's Beard

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg