As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anime Thread] ITT, we saw Thetheroo become a broken husk of a man. [via School Days]

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Two close sisters go to school in Tokyo, where an underclassman develops an obsessive crush on one of them.
    This last one is still unsolved. Edited to add a lot more flavor. =X

Let's restock!

A high school girl travels to a mysterious world where she is rescued by a young king with wings.

A homeless orphan is found to be the reincarnation of a 12,000 year old hero of an ancient, legendary war.

A girl struggles through to discover the truth after her brother betrayed their nation. Her only seeming comfort is a strange doll that almost seems empathic.

Escaflowne, Aquarion and Sokou no Strain, I believe.
    That was quick! Yep, correct, correct, and correct.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited June 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    I prefer Omni's blog for almost everything, except for those series which he doesn't blog and I have to indeed wander over to Aroduc and others for.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sadly, the only things that really interest me for the new season are, well, new seasons. Both Spice & Wolf and Zetsubou Sensei in particular.

I'm hoping for some good surprise hits though.

But even if there's not I suppose it's not like I have a shortage of things I still need to see.

Slicer on
    edited June 2009
    I prefer Omni's blog for almost everything, except for those series which he doesn't blog and I have to indeed wander over to Aroduc and others for.
    Jaalin can be dumb sometimes. Omni is alright.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited June 2009
    Jaalin can be dumb sometimes. Omni is alright.
    Jaalin being hilariously dumb and creepy is part of the charm.
    See: http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2007/06/25/freezeframe-im-looking-at-her-ankles/

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • AlanielAlaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So uh, Haruhi music is quite epic... in orchestra form.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrY3-s_eZkI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQEpn4sAQ44
    I think Aya Hirano might want to stick to Pop though.

Alaniel on
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Sadly, the only things that really interest me for the new season are, well, new seasons. Both Spice & Wolf and Zetsubou Sensei in particular.

But even if there's not I suppose it's not like I have a shortage of things I still need to see.

What about Tokyo Magnitude 8.0?

GA Fine Arts, slice of life about girls and their art club. Deja vu to the max but I'll be watching it for sure. Other titles that have my confirmed viewing are Cannan, Bakemonogatari, Aoi Hana, Spice and Wolf and Zetsubou. Everything else I'll give a fair chance.

Looks like a decent season for slice of life stuff.

Joule on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Though what wiki says disappoints me a little:
    Originally, this special was advertised as a retelling told from Ryuk's point of view, but it does not give a different point of view from what was originally told. However, it contains updated dialog, as well as a few new scenes, including an alternate ending.
    Oh man, an alternate ending would...
    Zandracon wrote: »

The upcoming Death Note special broadcast, which was announced during the last episode of the animated suspense television series, will be a three-hour Death Note Director's Cut: Compete Ending Edition special that airs at 8:03 p.m. on August 31 on Japan's NTV.
    And thus ends my dream. I loved DN (even the mehtastic second half), but the ending was such a disappointment. :(

Also, Akagi is pretty rockin' so far.

Glal on
    edited June 2009
    Aoi Hana looks to contain awesome slice of life considering Kasai is at the helm.

Princess Lover is going to be so bad it's awesome.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aoi Hana looks to contain awesome slice of life considering Kasai is at the helm.

JC Staff turns out some quality product. It's a big part of why I'm going to be investing some effort in watching it.

Kinda like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 being done by Bone. I didn't really need to read a whole lot more than that. Ok, it might suck, but it's almost certainly worth a look on no other real grounds.

I'll probably be watching GA because it will remind me of a few shows I like a bunch, and Kanamemo is in kinda the same boat given the format of it's original material(I'm oddly predisposed to anime adapted from 4 panel comics).

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited June 2009
    Joule wrote: »

What about Tokyo Magnitude 8.0?

GA Fine Arts, slice of life about girls and their art club. Deja vu to the max but I'll be watching it for sure. Other titles that have my confirmed viewing are Cannan, Bakemonogatari, Aoi Hana, Spice and Wolf and Zetsubou. Everything else I'll give a fair chance.

Looks like a decent season for slice of life stuff.

Oh, I forgot all about that! I'm a little bit skeptical but Bones usually puts out something worth watching more often than not so I'll definitely give it a shot.

Slicer on
    edited June 2009

Princess Lover is going to be so bad it's awesome.

I remember Bad Kitty saying Aoi Hana manga was pretty good stuff.

----

That orchestrated Mikurun-run really reminds me of the orchestrated Phoenix Wright album.

Huh forgot about Kanamemo, it looks kind of cute. That all girl baseball anime might be fun too.

Joule on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know which anime I've never seen recommended here?

Crest of the Stars. It has a bunch of sequels too, called Banner of the Stars I, II, and III. According to wikipedia, there are also OVAs and feature films that continue the story.
    Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars (series I and II) follow Ghintec Linn (aka Jinto Lynn), a young count whose world is taken over by the space-dwelling race of the Abh. When Ghintec was a young boy, his father, Rock Lynn, under threat of invasion, handed over their world, Martine, to the Abh in exchange for a position within Abh society. Young Ghintec is sent off to school to learn the ways of Abh nobility and the story of Crest of the Stars picks up as he meets the young Abh princess, Lamhirh (aka Lafiel) as they are about to travel to military school for Ghintec's further training.

However, in the midst of their travels, Lamhirh and Ghintec (along with the Abh ship Gothlauth, aka Gosroth) find themselves at the very beginnings of a war between the Abh Empire and the Four Nations Alliance of humankind - an anti-Abh alliance of the democratic nations of the United Mankind, the Federation of Hania, the Republic of Greater Alcont, and the People's Sovereign Union of Planets - a conflict with strong overtones of the Peloponnesian War between Sparta and Athens.

Basically, the show is Space Opera. Grand, amazing, detailed Space Opera with a huge scope. The author even made up his own language for the aliens. The two main protagonists are 3D, fully rounded, well characterized and it's a treat to watch their romance progress.

TeaSpoon on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, clip show, then. No longer in my queue.

And I'm sure you're sick of the people who wander in here with random "what should I watch" requests, but I'm a bit picky in my anime tastes and gravitate to more mature/more interesting stuff like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, the Kon movies, Studio Gibli stuff, Death Note, etc.

What's come out in the past year or so that I should watch?

Have you seen/read Monster? Sounds like it'd be right up your alley. Possibly Darker than Black as well.

Honey & Clover may scratch your Ghibli itch depending one which ones you like more. Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Tytania you may like as well.

I'm aware that all of those bar Tytania are older than a year but you may have missed them when they originally aired.

Kelor on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haha, that Haruhi orchestra thing is amazing. I like how, in the beginning, there were some vague orchestry sounding music until sudden, MI-MI-MIRAKURU MIKURUNRUN!!!

I totally didn't see it coming.

TeaSpoon on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Haha, that Haruhi orchestra thing is amazing. I like how, in the beginning, there were some vague orchestry sounding music until sudden, MI-MI-MIRAKURU MIKURUNRUN!!!

Yeah, that was trippy.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Two close sisters go to school in Tokyo, where an underclassman develops an obsessive crush on one of them.

Candy Boy.

I'm very much looking forward to Aoi Hana and it's probably going to be the only I'll be watching this summer. Even if you're not into yuri it's very charming and the characters are endearing.

Sasameki Koto, another recently serialized yuri manga turned anime, airs in the fall. I'm also looking forward to that one. This one is your more typical slapstick love comedy, though it does delve rather sharply into unrequited love and drama that is done quite well.

Bad Kitty on
    edited June 2009
    Bad Kitty wrote: »

Candy Boy.

I'm very much looking forward to Aoi Hana and it's probably going to be the only I'll be watching this summer. Even if you're not into yuri it's very charming and the characters are endearing.

Sasameki Koto, another recently serialized yuri manga turned anime, airs in the fall. I'm also looking forward to that one. This one is your more typical slapstick love comedy, though it does delve rather sharply into unrequited love and drama that is done quite well.
    Ding! I was beginning to wonder if anyone else had watched it around here. =( Such a charming series, even if it's oh-so-short.

The remaining list:
    Two girls swap bodies after an accident, then work together to defeat a coup.

A girl who was supposed to be killed was spared. Many years later, after she has almost grown up, forces the world over conspire to finish the job.

A boy tries to save his high-school swimming club by recruiting more members. A mysterious new student who only he can see, initially, agrees to join only if he pilots a mecha in an apparent game world. But why does everything seem so familiar?

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited June 2009
    A girl who was supposed to be killed was spared. Many years later, after she has almost grown up, forces the world over conspire to finish the job.
    Scrapped Princess?

Oh hey Bad Kitty it's been awhile. Did you check out Solanin since the last time?

Joule on
    edited June 2009
    Scrapped Princess?
    Ding!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited June 2009

Oh hey Bad Kitty it's been awhile. Did you check out Solanin since the last time?

I read the first few chapters and thought it was very cute and bohemian. A bit aimless, but then so is life. I'll need to properly sit down and enjoy it further, but I liked what I saw.

The most recent slice-of-life I've been enjoying is Manga no Tsukurikata. It's a fluffy, drama-free, and yuri-esque and starts when a neophyte manga artist starts "dating" a more established manga artist to gather research for a girl love manga. It sounds stupid but it's really quite cute and develops more or less into a celebration and sometimes explanation of manga.

Bad Kitty on
    edited June 2009

Murder Princess.

Bad Kitty on
    edited June 2009
    Finally got around to finish Eden of the East. I don't know what just happened, but I liked it!
    Doesn't spending all his money mean bad news though?
    Good show. Would watch again. I don't see why they couldn't have made it 24 episodes though. Waiting for the movies is going to be excruciating.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So is second season of Haruhi stand alone or do I need to rewatch first season?

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009

Murder Princess.
    Ding!

Also, on the manga front, I recently started Iono the Fanatics and Girl Friends. Only a couple chapters into the former (got distracted... >.>) and up to ch17 or so of the latter. Iono is immensely amusing and GF is light and fluffy.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited June 2009

I read the first few chapters and thought it was very cute and bohemian. A bit aimless, but then so is life. I'll need to properly sit down and enjoy it further, but I liked what I saw.

The most recent slice-of-life I've been enjoying is Manga no Tsukurikata. It's a fluffy, drama-free, and yuri-esque and starts when a neophyte manga artist starts "dating" a more established manga artist to gather research for a girl love manga. It sounds stupid but it's really quite cute and develops more or less into a celebration and sometimes explanation of manga.
    I'll look into that. I'm still very slowly working through YKK.

For maybe like two people other than me who's watching Asura Cryin' a second season has been green lit unsurprisingly for fall.

Joule on
  • BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Yeah, that was trippy.

I wonder if "Yuki, Muon, Madobe Nite" is on this album. That would be pretty epic.

BigBear on
    edited June 2009
    BigBear wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Yeah, that was trippy.

I wonder if "Yuki, Muon, Madobe Nite" is on this album. That would be pretty epic.

It is. Now somebody on Nico needs to put Snake in this.

Joule on
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    So is second season of Haruhi stand alone or do I need to rewatch first season?

The new episodes so far take place chronologically between episodes of the first season. They aren't related directly to old episodes. You probably don't need to rewatch anything.

The first episode of season two takes place after S1's episode 7, and the second and third new episodes take place after S1's episode 10. The order isn't really so important other than you see evidence of the S2 happenings in the later S1 episodes.

kaleedity on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Finished Eden of the East.

Damn.
    King? What the fuck is that supposed to mean? King of Japan how? I guess by bribing everyone...

Synthesis on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Finally getting around to finishing Black Lagoon, don't know why it took me this long, the Greenback Jane arc is awesome.

Thetheroo on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kelor wrote: »

And I'm sure you're sick of the people who wander in here with random "what should I watch" requests, but I'm a bit picky in my anime tastes and gravitate to more mature/more interesting stuff like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, the Kon movies, Studio Gibli stuff, Death Note, etc.

Have you seen/read Monster? Sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

Monster is completely awesome.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm about to watch episode 12 of Dragon Ball Kai. They're already at the point where Goku is about to arrive.

Also this thread title is 100% accurate, everyone here should read Scott Pilgrim. *points to avatar and sig*

Henroid on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Monster is very good...but be ready. It's long for a reason: namely, it wanders like a hyperactive school child on a field trip at times.

Synthesis on
    edited June 2009

I'll look into that. I'm still very slowly working through YKK.

For maybe like two people other than me who's watching Asura Cryin' a second season has been green lit unsurprisingly for fall.

I have been watching it off and on (Though more off than on lately, I'm quite behind), so this is some pretty good news to me!

Slicer on
  • Clayton BigsbyClayton Bigsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alaniel wrote: »
    So uh, Haruhi music is quite epic... in orchestra form.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrY3-s_eZkI

for some reason I thought this was In A Gadda Da Vida at first

Clayton Bigsby on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One Piece is out.
    Early spoilers were accurate.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Monster is very good...but be ready. It's long for a reason: namely, it wanders like a hyperactive school child on a field trip at times.

Monster is an exercise in mind fucks. The main villian is easily one of the top 5, imo.

tallgeeze on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    One Piece is out.
    Early spoilers were accurate.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;
    He's really going to die this time. Right? D:

Peas on
This discussion has been closed.