As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New COMIC Thread 6-24-09

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Further proof that nobody's Asian in the movies Still I think it's acceptable that they cast Aang based on his martial arts badassery.

Re: the comic - lol Morgan Freeman.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goody, i did not know they're making an avatar movie.

Fuga on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    who was asian in avatar

I thought they were all generic almostanimes of varying colors

Raneados on
  • Options
    Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well you were wrong

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    no really

633702086996900000CableProgram3866Avatar.jpg

these people do not look asian at ALL

I guess Iroh kind of does

Raneados on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It was probably the faux-anime

And also how Asian the world was

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    Never having seen Avatar this comic loses all of its punch.
    I've never watched it either but was still able to appreciate the humor of this strip.
    I had to scroll down to the post that mentioned this was about the Avatar movie that was being made to even understand what was going on. That is rather disappointing. Why can't he talk about beholders from the Dungeons and Dragons movie? Or the beautiful masterpiece that was its sequel? That's something everyone has seen and can connect with Gabe on.

Also if it wasn't mentioned in the text of the comic, I would have no idea that colored gentleman was Morgan Freeman.

I've never seen either of the Dungeon and Dragons movies.

they were visual aids and cancer together

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DickerdoodleDickerdoodle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A lot of Asian anime characters look anglo/white to me. This could just be the reverse.

Dickerdoodle on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm pretty sure we've covered the whole "these anime dudes don't look asian at all" "nuh uh they are so asian" thing in a new comic thread already. I can't imagine why!

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    DasHanselHMDasHanselHM Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    M. Night Shyamalan's first screenplay that he wrote was Stuart Little, and I remember it being somewhere between average and good?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164912/

DasHanselHM on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stuart Little made me cry

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aang is pretty much a white kid and it's silly to complain about him being cast as one. Sokka and Katara are both pretty thoroughly brown though, I'm not picky about race but casting them as suburban white kids too is retarded.

Zek on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Look people, we are spending entirely too much time arguing about race, bad movies, etc. We need to figure out one thing.

What the fuck is gonna be the twist at the end of this movie?

Katara, Sokka, Toph, Zuko, none of them are real. Aang is the avatar, and while trying to master firebending he burned down his village. The trauma induced multiple personality disorder. "Katara" is actually the neighbor girl whom Aang had a crush on and could never talk to, "Sokka" was his best friend, "Toph" his little sister. Every "bending" Katara and Toph did was all Aang, the whole time, just he's crazy. And "Zuko" is really his older brother, scarred from the fire, always looking for Aang to save him, to bring him back. But every time Zuko gets near, the fire comes back and Aang runs.

The end of the movie, where Zuko finally catches him and makes him remember, it's really touching. A tearjerker. A tear...BENDER if you will.

Narbus on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Narbus wrote: »
    Look people, we are spending entirely too much time arguing about race, bad movies, etc. We need to figure out one thing.

Katara, Sokka, Toph, Zuko, none of them are real. Aang is the avatar, and while trying to master firebending he burned down his village. The trauma induced multiple personality disorder. "Katara" is actually the neighbor girl whom Aang had a crush on and could never talk to, "Sokka" was his best friend, "Toph" his little sister. Every "bending" Katara and Toph did was all Aang, the whole time, just he's crazy. And "Zuko" is really his older brother, scarred from the fire, always looking for Aang to save him, to bring him back. But every time Zuko gets near, the fire comes back and Aang runs.

The end of the movie, where Zuko finally catches him and makes him remember, it's really touching. A tearjerker. A tear...BENDER if you will.

That actually sounds like a film I would enjoy.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we've covered the whole "these anime dudes don't look asian at all" "nuh uh they are so asian" thing in a new comic thread already. I can't imagine why!

Well this is the new comic thread
    And were covering it right now

Ooooooweeeeeeooooooh

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    killer tofu

Raneados on
  • Options
    Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The first panel really should just stand on its own, independent of the rest of the comic.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Narbus wrote: »

this si that "pokemon was a coma dream" essay but not funny

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goddamn I love that essay.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Man I need to find that again

The computer where I had it bookmarked crashed

Me Too! on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pokemon is a coma dream essay

You should use FoxMarks Wiggin.

Or X-Marks as they are now called.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All I know about Avatar is its 360 game is an achievement vending machine.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wish I could use a program to capture and catalogue all the different creative adaptations of "shyamalan" this board has produced over the years.

My favorite is still "Shamalamadingdong."

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why?

None of them are funny.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Why?

None of them are funny.

Some of them have gotten pretty clever with that shit, and it would be hilarious to see a huge encyclopedia of it.

Also, go fuck yourself.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    L05ER wrote: »
    never saw avatar, never cared to...

still found the comic amusing.

i can identify on the wrong race thing... but that was just the tip, so to speak, of everything wrong with Catwoman....

There was precedence for Catwoman to be black since the 60's tv show. Just saying

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    Being pissed off at Catwoman being black is a sign of unresolved issues.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There are so many other things wrong with that film.

Shorty on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    The other two good ones are Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin and CJ in San Andreas for watching nerds splutter about trying not to sound racist when their view essentially boils down to "fuck black people!"

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I didn't have a problem with either of those things.

CJ was more interesting to me than both Nameless Italian(?) Guy and Huggybear Wannabe.

Shorty on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think my favorite was the casting of Michael Cera as Kaneda and Shia LaBeouf as Tetsuo in the live-action Akira movie

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can't be pissed off about that, I didn't even like the anime.

Except for that fucking motorcycle. Fuck, yes.

Shorty on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The other two good ones are Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin and CJ in San Andreas for watching nerds splutter about trying not to sound racist when their view essentially boils down to "fuck black people!"

Oh man I frequented a GTA forum when that got announced where the average age was probably 15 or lower, that was hilarious. It's interesting that people that racist have an objection to playing a black guy in a game where you run around stealing and murdering, you'd think it would affirm their viewpoints or something.

L|ama on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    So did they announce the results of the vote yet?

The second vote I mean.

They seemed to go quiet after it closed.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Its not a matter of disliking black people, its a matter of not wanting them where they're not supposed to be.

And yes, I am being sarcastic. You see, I tried to make this post three times, but all three times it came out gigantically racist.

Guess that says something about the subject matter!

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    Its not a matter of disliking black people, its a matter of not wanting them where they're not supposed to be.

And yes, I am being sarcastic. You see, I tried to make this post three times, but all three times it came out gigantically racist.

So you think it still didn't?

A duck! on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    A duck! wrote: »

So you think it still didn't?

Places where black people shouldn't be
    1. Bending air
    2. In a PVC catsuit
    3. Front of the Bus

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd actually watch Daredevil or Electra over the Fantastic Four movies.

I don't see how one is comparable to the other. CJ wasn't an established character of a popular intellectual property. The Kingpin was. Yeah, I hate it when they needlessly change the ethnicity for characters of established IPs. I don't see how it is any different from hating that they completely changed a character's costume or hairstyle.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If the actor is good for the part, why exactly does his ethnicity matter?

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you can't find the time to get an actor who is good for the part and actually looks like the character, it doesn't exactly bode well for the film.

Also it's because I'm a huge racist.

Burden of Proof on
This discussion has been closed.