As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nuking "My Documents"

firewaterwordfirewaterword SatchitanandaPais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Heya H/A - quick computer question. I use Acrobat to bulk convert PDFs into single page TIFs; I'll usually run about 1500 - 2000 PDFs a batch, generally ending up with about 30-40k TIFs. The output goes to a server, not the laptop I'm using to convert (at least it should have been).

Anyhow, I was just checking how much disk space I had left on the laptop I'm doing this on, and noticed 80% of the drive was full, which was odd as I don't really have any media and very few programs. Turns out that when Acrobat was running its batch process, it was outputting to the server as well as My Documents. So as a result, I have about 300k single page TIFs in "My Documents," taking up the majority of my disk space.

I can't even open the folder in Windows to delete them manually (it locks up explorer, due to the stupid-large amount of files I would imagine). Is there a way to nuke the folder entirely? I can't seem to get Windows to allow me to do it.

Thanks for any help you folks can give.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
firewaterword on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd try removing them from the command line.

Go to Start, Run, type cmd and hit enter. Should bring up a black terminal window for you to type in. You'll need to use the cd command to go to the directory you want to delete from ( like cd "C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\My Documents" in XP, not sure about Vista) and then use the del command to delete them (you could delete all the TIF files by doing del *.tif)

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The path in vista is C:\Users\myusername\Documents

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Picture1.png

Waaaatergaaaate

Delzhand on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Picture1.png

Waaaatergaaaate

Win

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Picture1.png

Waaaatergaaaate

That is the best thing.

Also, I was able to wreck the folder once I changed the location or whatever of where "my documents" went.

Thanks for the advice re: the command line - that's something I'd never would have thought of, and will no doubt be useful in the future.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Picture1.png

Waaaatergaaaate

well-played sir.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Picture1.png

Waaaatergaaaate

well-played sir.
    This is also the best thing.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    del "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\My Documents\*.tif"

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    nicely done, all involved.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    format c: ??????

rfalias on