As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] ITT, we saw Thetheroo become a broken husk of a man. [via School Days]

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, clip show, then. No longer in my queue.

And I'm sure you're sick of the people who wander in here with random "what should I watch" requests, but I'm a bit picky in my anime tastes and gravitate to more mature/more interesting stuff like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, the Kon movies, Studio Gibli stuff, Death Note, etc.

What's come out in the past year or so that I should watch?

Have you seen/read Monster? Sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

Monster is completely awesome.

Monster is very good...but be ready. It's long for a reason: namely, it wanders like a hyperactive school child on a field trip at times.

It also drags a bit because some of the plot lines are less than fun to watch because you may loath the characters.

I liked the show, but that doesn't mean I didn't spend a few cumulative hours screaming 'get off the screen you gold-digging, money-grubbing...' inside my head.

This is in addition to generally being pretty long and slow paced. 'Completely' awesome is a bit of a stretch. It's got some flaws, and for a lot of people they are going to be too much to really enjoy the show.

Denno Coil? Baccano? Yeah, they probably have a few frames that aren't amazing.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peas wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »
    One Piece is out.
    Early spoilers were accurate.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;
    He's really going to die this time. Right? D:
    Wouldn't this be the first time a major side character died and it wasn't a flashback?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    anybody know when the new episode of k-on is gonna be out?

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What? It's been out. The last episode was out last week.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    One Piece is out.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;
    Wouldn't this be the first time a major side character died and it wasn't a flashback?
    Considering One Piece, I am pretty sure he's not going to die.

I mean we have even seen someone survive a bomb that would have taken out a city.

The ending to that chapter? Incredibly vague in comparison.

Slicer on
  • Options
    blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What? It's been out. The last episode was out last week.

They're doing the Clannad thing, where there's an extra episode after the "finale".

And this week's Haruhi:
    I suspect everyone who was dissatisfied with last week's will be much happier this week.

blkmage on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    One Piece is out.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;

I mean we have even seen someone survive a bomb that would have taken out a city.

My friend and I are taking bets on how much Luffy's bounty is going to go up after all this settles. I'm calling 800 million, my friend is saying 750.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One Piece is out.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;
    200px-250px-BBellamysscap000.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One Piece is out.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;

Normally I woudl agree, no one dies in One Piece, but I'm not so sure this time.

Magellan has shown that he is capable and very willing to kill, and there's no way for Mr. 2 to block the poison. Barring some crazy deus ex machina, he's a dead man.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One Piece is out.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;

Normally I woudl agree, no one dies in One Piece, but I'm not so sure this time.

Magellan has shown that he is capable and very willing to kill, and there's no way for Mr. 2 to block the poison. Barring some crazy deus ex machina, he's a dead man.
    I am pretty sure that if he were to die then it would be shown, instead of cutting away at the last moment.

Implying but not showing a death so the character can make a surprise appearance later is a fairly old trick of the genre!

Slicer on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BigBear wrote: »
    I wonder if "Yuki, Muon, Madobe Nite" is on this album.

Best song from the character albums. Cool Edition was surprisingly...appropriate as well.

"ja, shinde?"

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    SerpicoSerpico Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ryoko and Yuki were the only character albums I bothered listening to really. Fistbump to kyon/Itsukis albums though.

Serpico on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One Piece is out.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;

I am pretty sure that if he were to die then it would be shown, instead of cutting away at the last moment.

Implying but not showing a death so the character can make a surprise appearance later is a fairly old trick of the genre!
    Considering that Magellan melts faces with his poison does Oda really want to show that?

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    One Piece is out.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;

Considering that Magellan melts faces with his poison does Oda really want to show that?
    I seriously wanted Mr. 2 to join the Straw Hats.

In other news, this has probably been discussed a million times here but I'm quitting Tsubasa Reservoir. It seriously jumped the shark way too many times in the last chapters for me.
    This is beyond Fry being his own grandfather. Seriously WTH.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    BigBear wrote: »
    I wonder if "Yuki, Muon, Madobe Nite" is on this album.

Best song from the character albums. Cool Edition was surprisingly...appropriate as well.

"ja, shinde?"

I agree. I also liked SELECT. It's a beautiful song, but it's also really depressing if you read the lyrics

and if you know what Yuki does in the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, which we're probably gonna find out soon

BigBear on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CRAZY DEUS EX MACHINA IN ONE PIECE? NEVER.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno how old this is, but I totally didn't see this resemblance before,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9wyA6d5GU0&feature=response_watch

I for one would love to see TTGL with the cast replaced with Squirtles.

His water gun will be the one that will PIERCE THE HEAVENS

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »
    Jesuits wrote: »
    You know, it is amazing how closely the voice actors for DBZ Abridged resemble the original english cast, at least in my memory.

Do you mean the Ocean Group dub, or the later Funimation in-house dub?

The later one, going by Vegeta.

Man, I don't even know. Mix and match 'em.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    One Piece is out.

MR. TWOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;__;

He's shown melting prisoners before, I thought.

Also I haven't looked at the last chapter yet, but isn't Ivankov still inside Impel Down? Poisoned to hell but still inside. If Luffy can survive the treatment, Mister Two can.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    <snip>
    Ivankov and Inazuma both escaped with the rest of them.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Skeith wrote: »
    <snip>
    Dang. I should probably read this chapter, then.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you guys didn't label what that spoilers about. it's about the newest one piece manga btw

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well K-On's finished. Spoilered for Pika
    A fun little extra episode where everybody does their own thing for a portion of the episode. Yui flipping the awkward mood was pretty expected. Mugi at her part time job was cute. Ritsu with her bangs down is a good look though it was obvious that the 'letter' was from Mio. Really cute reactions though. Mio's beach wandering was nice. Azu-nyan taking care of a cat, how quaint.
    It's been a quick 13 episodes. I'd like to see more in the future in the form of OVA or even a dvd extra episode. I don't know if I'd like another series at this point though.

Joule on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In other news, this has probably been discussed a million times here but I'm quitting Tsubasa Reservoir. It seriously jumped the shark way too many times in the last chapters for me.

Only reason I wanna catch up is to find out stuff about Watanuki from xxxHOLIC
    WTF he's the same person as Shaoran? And he paid Yuko to erase all of his memories of his parents? wtf CLAMP get your asses in gear and give me more xxxHOLIC you whores

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mo' One Piece
    BON-CHAN

It's not looking good for Mr.2...

The only thing I can see saving him is if the Blackbeard Crew cause some chaos or take on Magellan.

Some part deep within me wants him to die. Don't get me wrong, Bon-Clay is a great character. There's so much epic in that last-stand shot against Magellan. "I have no regrets~!"

But if someone actually died in OP it would open a great deal of suspense in the series for me.

And it would be a good sign for what's coming up. The battles ahead are only going to be more brutal. No death is a staple of the show, will that endure into the new era?

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alright, suggestion time, I want the most hot-blooded anime you've seen! I don't care if it's shonen or giant robot shonen or sports shonen or what, I just want my blood to boil from sheer exposure. I've seen TTGL, I've seen Orange-kun, and it's not enough.

I'm asking you, anime thread, show me your hot-blooded section!

Greeper on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    Alright, suggestion time, I want the most hot-blooded anime you've seen! I don't care if it's shonen or giant robot shonen or sports shonen or what, I just want my blood to boil from sheer exposure. I've seen TTGL, I've seen Orange-kun, and it's not enough.

Well there's nothing else. Go home.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Nothing? At all?!

I'm not expecting anything MORE hot-blooded or anything, but just a LITTLE hot-blooded, maybe?!

Greeper on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Nothing? At all?!

I'm not expecting anything MORE hot-blooded or anything, but just a LITTLE hot-blooded, maybe?!

Watch TTGL again, but with 4 video screens opened up in sync?

Depending on how hot-blooded you want, there's always Eyeshield 21 for the football matches (I hate football in the States, but am strangely fascinated by this anime) or Yakitate Japan for hot bread-making action *shrug*

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Nothing? At all?!

Gai Gao Gar?

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »

Nothing? At all?!

Gai Gao Gar?

G Gundam?

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Nothing? At all?!

Diebuster was pretty awesome, and short.

Oh, and Spice and Wolf for hot blooded economic action.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Nothing? At all?!

Gai Gao Gar?

G Gundam?

G GUNDAM.

Optionally ScRYed or however the fuck they spelled it.

There's some warm blood in that. You could say hot even.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FMA:B 10, 11 and 12 are up on Funimation's site.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Nothing? At all?!

Gai Gao Gar?

G Gundam?
    <entirely serious>Nanoha? (later seasons)</entirely serious>

Well, it's got the GAR part.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Only reason I wanna catch up is to find out stuff about Watanuki from xxxHOLIC
    WTF he's the same person as Shaoran? And he paid Yuko to erase all of his memories of his parents? wtf CLAMP get your asses in gear and give me more xxxHOLIC you whores

... Damnit, I've got to stop reading these spoilers. Didn't think it was about the next volume yet. :?

I haven't heard the Gensou album before, pretty good.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

Nothing? At all?!

Gai Gao Gar?

G Gundam?
    <entirely serious>Nanoha? (later seasons)</entirely serious>

Well, it's got the GAR part.

Later seasons = A's? Because StrikerS was eh for a large portion.

For hotblooded shows, Hajime no Ippo fits the bit.

Joule on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joule wrote: »
    Well K-On's finished. Spoilered for Pika
    A fun little extra episode where everybody does their own thing for a portion of the episode. Yui flipping the awkward mood was pretty expected. Mugi at her part time job was cute. Ritsu with her bangs down is a good look though it was obvious that the 'letter' was from Mio. Really cute reactions though. Mio's beach wandering was nice. Azu-nyan taking care of a cat, how quaint.
    It's been a quick 13 episodes. I'd like to see more in the future in the form of OVA or even a dvd extra episode. I don't know if I'd like another series at this point though.
    I will miss my weekly Ritsu antics.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mo' One Piece
    BON-CHAN

It's not looking good for Mr.2...

The only thing I can see saving him is if the Blackbeard Crew cause some chaos or take on Magellan.

Some part deep within me wants him to die. Don't get me wrong, Bon-Clay is a great character. There's so much epic in that last-stand shot against Magellan. "I have no regrets~!"

But if someone actually died in OP it would open a great deal of suspense in the series for me.

And it would be a good sign for what's coming up. The battles ahead are only going to be more brutal. No death is a staple of the show, will that endure into the new era?

I pretty much agree entirely.
    I just wish it'd be shown if it happens.

Like...Blackbeard shows up and takes out Magellan somehow, and you see Mr 2's corpse with them commenting that he actually died. Cue subtle not-quite-fourth-wall breaking comment about there being more bodies in the future.

Jragghen on
This discussion has been closed.