As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Must Play Arcade Games - Memory Lane Is Expensive

kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
Back in my hometown, we had an awesome arcade called Dodge City - it was one of those flat-rate free-play arcades that only stocked older games. I didn't realize it at the time, but the owner of that place really knew his games and he had an amazing collection (including that Tron disc booth thing!).

That being said, I didn't spend much time in arcades growing up and Dodge City closed down around the time I was old enough to pay the daily rate myself. Help me live vicariously - what were your favorite arcade games?

In my limited experience:

-Marvel vs. Capcom 2
-Pac Man
-Frogger
-X-Men The Arcade Game (whatever that 4 player beat-em-up was called!)
-Street Fighter 2 CE
-Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (if only for the ending)
-Metal Slug Series
-KOF 98

I tried to search for a similar thread but couldn't find one - plus the search is currently borked. Please flame / lock if this is the millionth arcade thread.

kingmetal on

• SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SEGA%20-%20GALAXY%20FORCE%201988.jpg

Saddler on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Time Crisis 2 or Virtua Cop.

I really liked light gun games.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Area 51 was the shit

must have put about 200$ into that machine in my youth

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I vastly prefer Time Crisis 1 to 2. Better story, and the gameplay actually revolves around time.

Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara is good stuff, if you can find a cabinet. I also play lots of SF Alpha and such, if that counts.

Nowadays I mostly play rhythm games, because that's really all arcades have to offer that can't be recreated at home in some way. Sadly, arcades with those are dying real fast.

Oh, and Initial D/Maximum Tune here and there. Subaru Impreza SRX. <3

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My favorite arcade is probably Lucky & Wild. That game was easily the most fun I had at a cabinet.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Shibbi BibbiShibbi Bibbi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man, i grew up with arcades. I felt like a kid again when I found out that the mall next to the place I was recently hired at had one. It's filthy, though.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara is good stuff, if you can find a cabinet.

Yes. In fact, pretty much any Capcom beat-em-up is worth your time (Final Fight, Aliens VS. Predator, Battle Circuit).

Shibbi Bibbi on
    edited June 2009
    The arcade in my school's student union is small, but obviously created by someone who knows what they are doing. It's got about 15 or so games, most of them A++ fighters

Puzzle Fighter
    a couple of MvCs
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Tekken whatever is the latest one
    Virtua Fighter ditto
    I think there's an Area 51 or some such in there.

Saddler on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's ones I love to see:

-Any Street Fighter II action, CE especially
    -All the Alpha games and versus series affairs (Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter and Alpha 2 are two I really like)
    -Sunset Riders
    -Captain America and the Avengers
    -TMNT Turtles in Time
    -X-Men: Children of the Atom
    -Plain ol' X-Men
    -Donkey Kong/Mario Bros./Donkey Kong Jr. (there's a modern multi-cab from Namco that offers these games, lots of fun)
    -Running into a Neo Geo MVS is always a treat (especially if it has any King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown , Neo Turf Masters, Double Dragon, or King of the Monsters)
    -Warlords
    -Mega Man: The Power Battles (or Power Fighters)
    -Ghosts 'n Goblins
    -Sailor Moon (okay I honestly have never found this one but maybe some day)
    -Smash TV
    -NBA Jam
    -NFL Blitz
    -Qix
    -Popeye
    -Punch-Out!!
    -Saturday Night Slammasters
    -Tetris Grandmaster
    -Bubble Bobble

Good times for sure, there's only like a nickel arcade near me so I don't get to try too many of these any more.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your original list is sorely lacking in classic beat em ups but the inclusion of X-Men shows there is still hope let me guide you to the light my son with this pretty extensive list by publisher

Konami:

The aforementioned X-Men
    The Simpsons
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    TMNT Turtles In Time

Capcom:

Final Fight
    Alien Vs Predator
    Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
    The Punisher
    Warriors Of Fate

Sega:

Streets Of Rage
    Golden Axe
    Die Hard Arcade

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DoDonPachi is an excellent shooter from Cave.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man, Sunset Riders and Cadillacs & Dinosaurs were awesome, I completely forgot about them.

Sunset took a ton of my money.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hydro Thunder is the shiznit. Love the speakers.

nlawalker on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    galagalogo.gif

;-)

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

How about Virtua Cop 2?

A 7-11 up the street from my work had one of those. For a buck I would take both pistols and be the Virtua savior of my Virtua city until I got Virtua killed, which happened virtually every time I played.

And although arcades might be dying, there are still those that are too strong to perish.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I played a lot of Pole Position as a kid. (Cue masturbation jokes...now.)

Pole0000.png

Hedgethorn on
  • SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    To me, Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom and it's sequel, Shadow over Msytara are two of the best beat-em-ups I've ever played. I remember spending hours on those games until I ran out of quarters and sometimes the other people I was playing with would let me borrow their's. Plus, branching paths, tons of different items and spells and overall being a solid beat-em-up made this game highly replayable. Ahh, the memories.

Another great beat-em-up game I spent a lot of time on was Captain America and the Avengers. I remember the feeling of my heart jumping every time you got a boss' health low enough that you heard Cap say "OK, GO!" and the boss music would change to the theme music. Really got me excited every time.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    whoa, no love for simpsons arcade game?

muninn on
    edited June 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I played a lot of Pole Position as a kid. (Cue masturbation jokes...now.)

Pole0000.png

In a similar vein, Roadblasters was pretty cool.

roadblasters_ttl_min.jpg

It was never the best game around, or even that impressive, but somehow it got a lot of my quarters. Roadblasters is reliable; not too amazing, but you know you won't die within the first 30 seconds. You know where you stand with Roadblasters.

Saddler on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The problem with arcade games is that they are designed so you die a lot and have to keep putting money in to them. With that in mind I have to say that Shadows Over Mystara is one of the best, probably the best, arcade game because you can actually do quite well on only a single credit. Same with DoDonPachi. It's my favourite shooter ever because it's not easy but it doesn't get bullshit until about the last level. Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the best SF, hands down but the CPU AI is a cheap little bitch. Adams Family is the best pinball machine ever. Honourable mention goes to Star Trek: TNG.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    25509-106778-gfs4963223jpg-468x.jpg

Bamelin on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thread needs more food badly!

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I adored the Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer arcade game where you actually controlled each pod with a throttle of its own. It was great having to steer with nothing but jet engines.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sollah wrote: »
    Another great beat-em-up game I spent a lot of time on was Captain America and the Avengers. I remember the feeling of my heart jumping every time you got a boss' health low enough that you heard Cap say "OK, GO!" and the boss music would change to the theme music. Really got me excited every time.
    Yes! That was the best part!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    personally I think pinball machines are the pinnacle of human technology. There's no cheaty AI to screw you out of more change, only gravity. Gravity is a harsh mistress.

edit: wearing my TOPhat.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love Turtles in Time as much as the next guy, but you know what I always ended up coming back to?
    galagalogo.gif

;-)

Monger on
    edited June 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    I love Turtles in Time as much as the next guy, but you know what I always ended up coming back to?
    galagalogo.gif

;-)

Galaga '88/90 in particular is quite good, being a remake of the original with better graphics. They have it at the arcade on the Redondo Beach boardwalk, and it's available on a variety of consoles. If I was going to buy an arcade machine, Galaga anything would be a strong contender. Much more so than any beat-em-up.

Saddler on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    At least a Galaga cabinet would be easy to transport.

I know people who own these:

pumpitup-nx-fx-42.gif

Transporting those is a nightmare. I helped upload a brand new cabinet for a national tournament once.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Willow

And someone already said the best which is Galaga.

Jubal77 on
  • infernoviainfernovia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The problem with arcade games is that they are designed so you die a lot and have to keep putting money in to them.
    Better than popping 50 bucks into a game with 20 min of actual fighting. At least a lot of these games were designed to be beaten in one credit.

Imo, arcades cut the fat.

Street fighter was my favorite.

infernovia on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQ_KUHiQGQ&fmt=18

Every time I'd run out of money, I'd just stand there and stare at the larger-than-life 8-screen demo for a few minutes without fail. It's kind of hard to explain how awesome it was to behold in '94.

I played my fair share of beat-em-ups and Pacman in my younger days, but by the time every game was $1 per credit, I'd only go for the dance games. There's just no sense in playing games that can be replicated perfectly on consoles anymore unless the arcade experience is dirt cheap.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited June 2009
    I used to love the American Laser Games shooters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dulYDwUwxko

They were silly, but fun.

And the Quick Draw one was intense.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • retinaganshiretinaganshi Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    There are some cool games on this site: http://www.bespoke-arcades.co.uk/bespoke-arcades-gameslist.html

My personal fave has got to be Asteriods!! Classic!!

retinaganshi on
  • EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I used to love the American Laser Games shooters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dulYDwUwxko

They were silly, but fun.

And the Quick Draw one was intense.

I've never seen this before, but it is fantastic.

Etch on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cj, you beat me to it. The American Laser Games light gun shooters were great. I loved the two Mad Dog McCree games and the Last Bounty Hunter in particular. I just ordered a copy of the Wii collection from Buy.com.

I also loved Dragon's Lair II, Gauntlet Legends, and Galaxy Force II. I spent an entire day playing Galaxy Force II once, that was epic. The Virtua Cops were also great. I'm hoping that Sega brings back Virtua Cop, like they've done with House of the Dead. Virtua Cop Overkill could be pretty awesome.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone remember a holographic arcade game where the protagonist was a time traveling cowboy? You looked down into a reflecting mirror-filled area and the characters/obstacles were holograms a few inches tall.
    The animation was all motion captured, and the game looked pretty realistic from what I remember. The gameplay itself kinda sucked, and consisted of a series of what are now known as quick-time events. But the fact that I was controlling a holographic cowboy and shooting little hologram bad guys blew my 8 year old mind.

EDIT: I found it! It was called Time Traveler, a 1991 game by Sega.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Traveler_(video_game)

Arcade_complete_view.jpg

Traveler_screenshot.jpg

This game was fucking rad. I'd love to play it again. Its too bad these holographic games never caught on. They were probably hella expensive.

bamjo on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bamjo wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a holographic arcade game where the protagonist was a time traveling cowboy? You looked down into a reflecting mirror-filled area and the characters/obstacles were holograms a few inches tall.
    The animation was all motion captured, and the game looked pretty realistic from what I remember. The gameplay itself kinda sucked, and consisted of a series of what are now known as quick-time events. But the fact that I was controlling a holographic cowboy and shooting little hologram bad guys blew my 8 year old mind.

It's called Hologram Time Traveler. Published by Sega, created by Rick Dyer, one of the makers of Dragon's Lair and Thayer's Quest. Digital Leisure has released it on DVD and CD, and it's pretty great. The home version comes with 3D glasses to simulate the arcade effect.

EDIT: Hehe yeah I see you beat me to it there. If you want to play it again, check out www.digitalleisure.com.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • fairweatherfairweather OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bamjo wrote: »

I believe this is the one you're talking about: Time Traveler

I remember getting to play this a few times and dying very quickly each time.

The Simpsons arcade game was great. I used to play that with my cousins all the time.

A local arcade I went to sometime a few years ago had an awesome shooter by Cave I believe. It was a side-scrolling schmup where you could choose one of 3 planes. It had a steampunk style to it. I can't remember the name off the top of my head though.

fairweather on
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glad X-Men Children of the Atom is on somebody's list because I just bought it. Well, technically I bought X-Men vs. Street Fighter and it happened to come with a Children of the Atom board. I am to drive 2 hours each way tomorrow in a 1980s conversion van with a broken tape player to pick it up.

Also, this thread is exactly what I wanted!

What was the game where one person drove and the other person shot? Reminded me of Chase HQ but, you know, with guns.

Unless Chase HQ had guns...

kingmetal on
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sladvan wrote: »
    My favorite arcade is probably Lucky & Wild. That game was easily the most fun I had at a cabinet.

This is what I was looking for. AWESOME.

kingmetal on