As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lookouts - The RPG

13»

• AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Really interested in being involved in this. Lookouts is probably one of the coolest ideas that I've seen in a while.

An idea on Swordsmanship, perhaps make it so Acorn allows you to have the Lookout Sword? I doubt in a world covered in forest they have enough metal to go around making swords for kids who really don't know how to use them at all. As a matter of fact, they'd be more likely to outfit the kids with shortbows (as they are easy to use, inexpensive, and allow even the most green of soldiers to be useful in combat) and a long knife that would be useful for combat and also for simple survival tasks. Then, when they get their Archery Acorn badge, they're allowed to use longbows because they've proven that they are good enough to not waste the more expensive weapon.

Basically, the idea comes down to (from what I've gathered of the Lookout world) resources are limited, and men must know much to survive. And a man must know how to use both blade and bow to dispatch those that threaten him, and what men must know a boy must learn.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    Really interested in being involved in this. Lookouts is probably one of the coolest ideas that I've seen in a while.

An idea on Swordsmanship, perhaps make it so Acorn allows you to have the Lookout Sword? I doubt in a world covered in forest they have enough metal to go around making swords for kids who really don't know how to use them at all. As a matter of fact, they'd be more likely to outfit the kids with shortbows (as they are easy to use, inexpensive, and allow even the most green of soldiers to be useful in combat) and a long knife that would be useful for combat and also for simple survival tasks. Then, when they get their Archery Acorn badge, they're allowed to use longbows because they've proven that they are good enough to not waste the more expensive weapon.

Basically, the idea comes down to (from what I've gathered of the Lookout world) resources are limited, and men must know much to survive. And a man must know how to use both blade and bow to dispatch those that threaten him, and what men must know a boy must learn.

I like this.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I quite like that too.

But I kinda like the idea of them all having their little swords like in the strip, being part of their uniform and so on. Perhaps they get a wooden sword to keep in their sheath and train with until they get the swords badge? Alongside a utility knife, of course.

How does that sound?

SUPERSUGA on
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    good.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In the strip they get daggers. I can see having a wooden training sword, Link-style, until they earn their better badges.

zenpotato on
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    While the wooden sword thing works, who said in the strip they hadn't all gotten their Acorn Swordsmanship badges?

This feeds in to having requirements for certain trips, perhaps the Master in the strip only took those boys who had earned the right to wield the Lookout Sword.

Of course, the wooden sword thing works just as well.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    edited June 2009
    The master in the strip had two swords and was missing an eye, so let's assume he's a particularly badass master. He clearly insisted on getting his boys their sword badges before they went out to get their basilisk badge.

I take it tomorrow 7pm GMT is no good for everyone else. But being as I've got it on my mind I'll be on irc on irc.magicstar.net in the channel #Lookouts through most of the day if anyone wants to run through some ideas there and maybe get a mini-playtest organised.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited June 2009
    Okay, so my active times seem to clash with when people can actually attend. Weekend afternoons and (some) weeknight evenings GMT are the only real times I could sensibly run a game. I could possibly play at a later hour but I wouldn't want to commit to running when I might be half-asleep.

Does anyone else (called nefffff) feel like taking a shot at running this for the first time?

SUPERSUGA on
    edited July 2009
    I'll give this one last bump before I strike it off as abandoned.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have the ominous feeling G&T'll make a REAL Lookouts/Automata RPG.

Personally, I'm taking quite a shine to Aberrant and Adventure! for the Automata game I wanna run.

Edith Upwards on