As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    I noticed there is a lot fewer online games being hosted on the PC version of this game these days.

Not surpising really, but it was kind of nice because everyone in the games I joined was actually doing the freeburn challenges instead of just driving around aimlessly off by themselves. Maybe I'll get two sets of them done eventually and get the car.

If you can play right now, we could do some two player challenges.

Peewi on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm at work. Friggin time zones are going to make it hard to get a game going. Maybe this weekend.

Drool on
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pook, I don't really have any idea what is going on in the game... but I like it! Now I just need some cars so people don't destroy me in the online racing.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pook, I don't really have any idea what is going on in the game... but I like it! Now I just need some cars so people don't destroy me in the online racing.

You'll see the PCPD Special get used most of the time in races, with the occasional Uberschall 8, and since the DLC came out, GT Nighthawks aplenty. If you see anything else, then they either haven't got them, or it's set to a limited Boost rating/one car only. You won't get the first two until you're well into working towards your Elite License. Good substitutes are the Carbon X12, Carbon GT Concept, and Carbon Hawker (gained from all the original Jumps, Smashes, and Billboards).

Other cars that see a lot of use are the P12, GT Concept, and Hawker, mainly for Stunt Runs and Freeburn Challenges. Sometimes you might see a Rai-jin (online only car) being used in a low Boost race, since it's the fastest car in the game without boost; however, it doesn't drift too well.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited June 2009
    If anyone wants to crash some cars on the pc this afternoon I'm on.

name = meanredworms

Drool on
    edited June 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    If anyone wants to crash some cars on the pc this afternoon I'm on.

name = meanredworms

I'm up for that. I've sent you an invite to the game I'm hosting.

Peewi on
    edited June 2009
    I crashed dude sorry about that. We'll have to do some more freeburn challenges later, that was fun stuff.

Drool on
    edited June 2009
    That was a fun game of Burnout.

I've done all of the 2 player challenges, so maybe I should see if I can get another set and get that 101% completion.

Peewi on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah we'll get a third person in the game and it if they don't suck it won't be hard to do them.

Drool on
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, but I'm not going to keep playing right now. It's kinda late here and I need to get up early.

Peewi on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, not today, some other time. I wish we has another PA person to get in there.

Drool on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you're playing again sometime I'd be up for it. I'm working most nights, but Wednesday or Thursday would be good.

freakish light on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i just got my elite license for the second time, yay. just gotta do road rules and motorcycle stuff and freeburn challenges now to get back to where i was before i lost my first save game.

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2009
    The craziest shit happend to me last night while playing this game. I was hosting and just doing freeburn challenges, there were about six of us and we eventually get to the challenge where you have to drive around the stock car track and get 10 near misses each.

Some redneck dude is all, "Are we gonna do this the smart way and everyone line up and get this done quick or drive around likeabuncha idiots?" I told him to just drive because it won't take long. Instead he sat there and tried to get everyone to line up next to him and bitched about us being stupid and wasting time if we crashed into him.

Eventually everone is dones so I tell him that to drive around a few times to finish, but his response is, "Oh I'll be done right now," and he just leaves. I was sort of stunned because you have to work really hard to take the fun out of Burnout, but that dude found a way.

Freeburn Challenges = surious business.

Drool on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got this last week for PS3, been playing it off n' on. Definitely different with the open roads/races. Like how you can just tool up to an event and go, but not having a RETRY option kinda sucks.

If anyone wants to score some easy wins, I'd be up for some multi next week (after UVerse install).
    PSN: MichaelLC

MichaelLC on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You can retry. Hit right on the D-Pad and select Restart Event.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have yet to have ANY fun playing this game online. Whenever I try I wind up with a bunch of dipshits just driving around aimlessly doing their own thing.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I need to play some more of this, but I should get Big Surf Island...

Hawk on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

Well damn.

Maybe I'll open that manual today. Might learn something else. :lol:

MichaelLC on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »

Well damn.

Maybe I'll open that manual today. Might learn something else. :lol:

It was added in a patch, so don't look for it there :)

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So.... I got my Burnout License today. I don't really have any motivation to go for that Elite License, just seems like a huge chore. Especially doing all those stunt runs, I'm terrible at them, a lot of them seem to take place in areas devoid of ramps/etc, and it's just no fun.

So um... what's my motivation to keep playing, here? I guess I could go after those last few super jumps / billboards / gates. I actually only have 5 super jumps left... is there any way to see which super jumps you've already found? Because as I come across them now in the game world I honestly don't know if I've jumped them yet or not, most the time I already have.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So.... I got my Burnout License today. I don't really have any motivation to go for that Elite License, just seems like a huge chore. Especially doing all those stunt runs, I'm terrible at them, a lot of them seem to take place in areas devoid of ramps/etc, and it's just no fun.

So um... what's my motivation to keep playing, here? I guess I could go after those last few super jumps / billboards / gates. I actually only have 5 super jumps left... is there any way to see which super jumps you've already found? Because as I come across them now in the game world I honestly don't know if I've jumped them yet or not, most the time I already have.

Which version do you have? The PS3 version lets you copy your save to a memory stick and upload it to this website, which will show everything you haven't done yet. I don't think there's any way to find out with the other two versions though.

As for other stuff to do, I don't know. You've got all the achievements/trophies, I assume? You could buy some of the DLC. I love Big Surf Island, though I wouldn't really recommend any of the other stuff (unless they had price drops anyway).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Which version do you have? The PS3 version lets you copy your save to a memory stick and upload it to this website, which will show everything you haven't done yet. I don't think there's any way to find out with the other two versions though.

As for other stuff to do, I don't know. You've got all the achievements/trophies, I assume? You could buy some of the DLC. I love Big Surf Island, though I wouldn't really recommend any of the other stuff (unless they had price drops anyway).

Well, he's pretty much already done everything. Burnout Elite means doing every event one last time in addition to the Jumps/Gates/Billboards and time/money trials for every street.

I'd say go for the jumps and such (you get some decent cars if you complete all of them) at least. Then do some bike stuff and play a little online.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Immortal thread is immortal.
    I finally have this and am stuck at work wishing I were playing it right now. I also wish I had a bigger hard drive so I could start buying some of the funky-looking extra content that's up, because that DeLorean looks nice.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    I finally have this and am stuck at work wishing I were playing it right now. I also wish I had a bigger hard drive so I could start buying some of the funky-looking extra content that's up, because that DeLorean looks nice.

I think any download for buying it would be very small. The model would already be there so that you can see when other people use it online.

Peewi on
    edited July 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

I think any download for buying it would be very small. The model would already be there so that you can see when other people use it online.

Yeah, if memory serves correct, the download to unlock them is only 100kb; the cars are already included in the patch, so you need only unlock it. Even then, the 100kb probably is a case of overwriting another 100kb segment that says you don't have it.

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited July 2009

Thank god for that website because I don't think I'd have a snowballs chance in hell finding everything otherwise!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

Yeah, if memory serves correct, the download to unlock them is only 100kb; the cars are already included in the patch, so you need only unlock it. Even then, the 100kb probably is a case of overwriting another 100kb segment that says you don't have it.

Damnit, there goes one excuse.. :( I might hold off on the island until I've gone as far as I can with the main game, but some of the cars are tempting.. and I have points I wanted to save for Red Faction and some Arcade games.
    Arse.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2009
    So whats the best car for doin the billboards?

Seems to be you need a car that can get a lot of hangtime without driving a long distance to build up speed.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited July 2009
    i recommend the carbon x12. you get it for hitting all the super jumps, if memory serves. its my personal favorite car in the game.

Ah_Pook on
    edited July 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i recommend the carbon x12. you get it for hitting all the super jumps, if memory serves. its my personal favorite car in the game.

Yeah I have been trying to use that exact car to hit a certain billboard downtown and I absolutely can not get enough air to make the jump. The car just doesn't get up to speed in the space available, and the damn thing slips around so much that I'm lucky to hit the ramp at all.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got this a little over a week or so for PS3 and have been playing nonstop. Working on my Burnout License at the moment. I've done one online game, but it was with immense asshats.

I've love to play online with some PA people though, my PSN is DHSOdium.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    edited July 2009
    I'm told you can unlock toy versions of the legendary cars in big surf island... is this true? If so, value of big surf island pack just went up for me.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm told you can unlock toy versions of the legendary cars in big surf island... is this true? If so, value of big surf island pack just went up for me.

Yup. You can get toy versions of the legendary cars they released a few months back. You can even use them to get most of the Toy Car trophies (except for the bike one) but you can't use them to get the legendary car trophies.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited July 2009

this is true, and you get the awesome dune buggy too. thing is really fun to drive.

Ah_Pook on
    edited August 2009
    I've found the best vehicle for getting big air is...strangely...the very first vehicle you start out with. Wtf is with that? It flies very high and very far and performs miracles when you've got a short "runway" to the ramp. I nailed that goddamn billboard that was giving me hell on my second try with it, after trying probably a zillion times with the Carbon X12 and the GT Concept. Also nailed the barrel roll through the ring at the airport on my first try with it.

Me thinks those crazy guys at Criterion pulled a fast one on us. That Cavalry is quite useful even at the ass end of the game.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited August 2009
    weird, that definitely didnt use to be the case. i seem to recall them saying something about rebalancing some of the early vehicles as part of some patch though, now that im thinking about it.

Ah_Pook on
    edited August 2009
    To be completely honest, I think I did the vast majority of the stunt runs leading to my Elite Licence with the Cavalry, long before the rebalancing was done. It's always been easy to use; the rebalancing just made it even easier.

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited August 2009
    jesus, patching this game up from scratch is ridiculous

Ah_Pook on
  • Max22Max22 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    jesus, patching this game up from scratch is ridiculous
    On 360 you just need to download the most recent patch, it "includes" all the old ones :?

Max22 on
    Xbox Live: jackspades22