As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dogs] The joy of picking up poop in small plastic bags

• jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's my badass's as described earlier on.

Little Homie our Miniature Fox terrier who needs to lose some freaking weight. He gained like 3 pounds since getting neutered. He's the alpha.

4869_97952941501_675636501_2504143_3914845_n.jpg

And here's Hemingway our "Jargle" as we call him. Half Jack Russel, half Beagle, all heart. Best dog I have ever owned, and my best pal in the world. Since Lil' Homie is the alpha, Hemingway is the beta.

n675636501_2504142_4884859.jpg

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NARV what kind of dog is the middle dog in your picture last page?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Yeah, I celebrate Gus' birthday...when i remember. Which I usually do.

can I post a picture of Gus that I saved? it's one of the ones near water. if you have it and want to, post it, but I like it and the people deserve to see.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I want to get a dog soon

I'm thinking whippet

Medopine on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I haven't lived at home for a few years now, and sometime, I think I miss the dogs more than the 'rents.

This is Doobie. She likes to lay outside in the sun with her black coat in 100 degree GA weather. She's kind of dumb.
    DSC_0031.jpg

A few holidays ago, my mom decided the dogs needed special collars. The little one here, Sweet Pea (mom named her) ate her collar. I had to check her poop for a week to make sure it was coming out ok.
    DSC_0012-1.jpg

EDIT: Woohoo, my dogs get top!

Mr Pink on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Doobie?

As in Roll up a Doobie?

Or is it pronounced Doughbe?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Doobie?

As in Roll up a Doobie?

Or is it pronounced Doughbe?

As in, Doberman/ Rottweiler. So the second one, mostly.

Mr Pink on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    guys, what sort of dog is this? Is it a basenji?

Looks more like a cattle dog to me. The head shape is wrong and the tail isn't curled enough..

And Mazzyx, I am in awe of your mother.

I am taking agility classes with my dog right now and starting to wonder if we will ever actually compete. It sounds like several of your dogs are ILP'd. Has your mother put a MACH on any of them? Did she experience any negative comments about an ILP'd dog doing well? I am trying to decide if I even want to bother with AKC since my dog isn't registered.

Sorry a bit late. I know Jazz is a MACH. I remember when she got it. I think Rose, the older of the two borders is pretty close and might get her MACH this year. In general other than a few nutty people she doesn't have any problems with her dogs. All of the dogs other than the Dachshund are from AKC registered breeders. The dachshund also has been registered but in a different way. I know she does AKC and another group for her Agility.

The big thing with agility, is just make sure you and the dog are having fun. If the dog doesn't like it or isn't have fun then it's never going to get any where. I know the schnauzer had a few years where it was more of a confrontation than a activity they worked together on. I usually just hear the stories though and was dragged to set up equipment and such more than actually running agility.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know I already posted my dogs...but yahoo news had an ugly dog contest slide show with this fella in it...

chinese-crested-dog-elwood.jpg

Can you imagine waking up every morning to this thing? I couldn't do it....

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    I want to get a dog soon

I'm thinking whippet
    Why not get a real dog?

One that won't prowl your nightmares, or break under the strain of a light breeze?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Speaking of dressing up dogs...
    He has a comb over!
    studious.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    NARV what kind of dog is the middle dog in your picture last page?

The middle dog is our mixed breed. He supposedly is a mix of elkhound and shepard, but we're not totally sure.

narv107 on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    I want to get a dog soon

I'm thinking whippet

so nervous looking!

Casual Eddy on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We got a Beagle puppy a few weeks ago and named her Ripley.

4805_513043381559_176800313_30600187_6817460_n.jpg

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PIC-0005.jpg

Midnite is a 10 year old rescue, supposedly a lab mix, but she doesn't exceed 35 lbs. She spent 8 years in Miami before my GF moved up to attend Penn. Midnite stays with me in Delaware.

She's quite a unique dog. We call her a cat dog because she doesn't like attention, pets, or cuddling. She typically wants to be left alone, in a peaceful setting.

Hard and smooth flooring is her enemy. She is like a deer on ice. Our condo has hardwood floors throughout, so we had to get large area rugs to accommodate her. We call them her islands. All in all, she is an ideal dog, as she doesn't require a lot of exercise, just regular 4-5 walks/day more than a couple blocks around, and the occasional trip to the dog parks for socializing, exercise and exploration.

We've tried to turn her on to swimming, but she doesn't want anything to do with it. Our last attempt was at the ocea last year where she wound up sitting under the umbrella like an old gradma while we had fun in the water.

Man, does she love sunbathing.

2583390604_bc36cb27f8.jpg

About 15 months ago, we lost Chelsea, a 13 year old Wire Fox Terrier. She was a true lab in a Fox Terrier's body. If she saw water, you'd have to restrain her or she would just jump right in. She was a very happy dog, high energy, and always followed you around to see what you were up to. She loved to snuggle and sleep in.

She was my closest friend for about 9 years and losing her was really tough. I've considered getting another dog, but I worry about how Midnite would take it. She grew up as the only dog in the house, and while she got accustomed to Chelsea, that was a long process for her, and came to an abrupt end 8 months after Midnite joined us.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited June 2009
    Pixel Blue wrote: »

Arghkajds beagle puppy. Look how insanely cute she is.

I tend to like bigger dogs (danes, any old lurcher [greyhound, deerhound, wolfhound, etc]), and biggish/medium dogs (labs in particular) but I'm living in a smallish place, so went looking for smaller rescue dogs.

He is a beagle in a labrador costume. A ninja beagle, if you will.

When I first saw him I was like 'holy shit, it's a miniature lab!' You can't really tell from the pic but he's only up to my knee, tops. Really small, full grown, he's 2 years old now. He came from holy-shit levels of neglect but you'd never know it, he's super sweet, sometimes a little timid around strangers. He's a major, major cuddlebug.

We think he's a beagle/lab but we don't know for sure. He doesn't bark, he howls -- his feet are webbed and his hair is super coarse and stiff. He is the stupidest dog I have ever seen, by far, I mean really amazingly stupid -- but this is my first really dumb dog, and I love it. He is too dumb to get into trouble! And he is hilarious. He has trouble chasing balls but that doesn't stop him from lurching off in pursuit, wrong direction every time ... he's my pal.

Huh he's probably a Lab mix but that doesn't explain the webbed toes. Does he like swimming ? My Beagle hates water in general and if it's higher than her ankle she will not go in without a fight.

Bath time is a chore let me tell you.

King Riptor on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My Pit acted like he hated baths, but I think he kind of secretly has enjoyed them. Now I don't even have to drag him into the bathroom anymore, he'll willingly go in there for a nice shampoo massage. But when you dry him off with a towel, he goes nuuuuutttts. Will run all around the house for a good 10 minutes, it's like he's a puppy again. It's hilarious.

Dark_Side on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    A few holidays ago, my mom decided the dogs needed special collars. The little one here, Sweet Pea (mom named her) ate her collar. I had to check her poop for a week to make sure it was coming out ok.
    DSC_0012-1.jpg

What breed(s) is Sweet Pea? She reminds me of my favorite of the dogs my family had when we were growing up. She was a rescue mutt, so we never had any idea what she was, though she seemed to be part lab and part beagle, with something else mixed in. I would love to have a similar dog again someday.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Man, Blade is a great looking Pit. I guess my bias is showing.

Thanks Dark_Side:mrgreen:. I really need to stud him he is starting to get up in age. Blade does the same thing when he get out of the bath. I kinda cute till you see a 70ihs pound pit try to do a 90 degree turn on title floors. I do feel sorry for Jinx after a bath. She really a fluffy rat with all that fur. I am going to miss them when I move out of my parents house. The new place I got is a fixer upper and I have school so no dogs till I finish both of those.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My Pit acted like he hated baths, but I think he kind of secretly has enjoyed them. Now I don't even have to drag him into the bathroom anymore, he'll willingly go in there for a nice shampoo massage. But when you dry him off with a towel, he goes nuuuuutttts. Will run all around the house for a good 10 minutes, it's like he's a puppy again. It's hilarious.

Like knowing how to swim, I swear its inherent in all dogs to do this after a bath.

Also, dogs laugh, but most of us here probably already knew that. :wink:
    Robert Provine, a neuroscientist at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County who studies laughter, notes that dogs pant in a certain way when they're playing, and rats are known to chirp.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited June 2009

Mine does that as well.

She's actually fine until I go to wash her face( she has allergies so there's always gunk build up by her eyes)
    once you go there she FLIPS.

I've decided I will record it one day and put it on you tube.

King Riptor on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jasper, our spaniel, flips out post-bath.

My wife opens the door to the bathroom and he bolts, does several laps around the room (on and off of furniture) and terrifies his sister.

Something about being wet. Brings out the crazy.

Edit: We call it the "puppy missile."

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Took photos of my babies before, during and after their baths (I had no idea you guys were talking about baths till just now, so this is the first time I'm on time with a topic!)

Harvey

woop083-1.jpg

Harvey: Why are you putting me in here?!

woop087-1.jpg

Harvey: You better not put this on the internet.

woop088-1.jpg
    Harvey: I'm serious.

Wiley

woop089-1.jpg
    Wiley: I need to escape.

woop092-1.jpg
    Wiley: waaaaarblggggggpffffttt

woop097-1.jpg
    Wiley: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful

Mim on
    edited June 2009
    Ha ha ha, that is one sad Harvey in that second pic.

Dark_Side on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Jasper, our spaniel, flips out post-bath.

My wife opens the door to the bathroom and he bolts, does several laps around the room (on and off of furniture) and terrifies his sister.

Something about being wet. Brings out the crazy.

Edit: We call it the "puppy missile."

Our dachshund does that too. Runs as fast as she can from room to room and jumps on everything for like 5 minutes straight. But the thing is, because she's so light she's like stealth-doggy on the carpet and loud on hardwood floor. So you'll hear nothing, then... *buda buda BUDA TAKTAKTAKTAKTAK BUDA buda buda*

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just found a border collie, near a bunch of hotels/restaurants, etc, well-groomed, no tags, nobody reported her missing yet and I suspect that she's owned by some guy passing through, is there anything I can do that we haven't thought of to speed her reuniting with her owner?

Edith Upwards on
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Hahaha, he doesn't like baths. He used to though when he was baby because we didn't have a bathtub just a shower stall, so when I took a shower he joined me. I froze a lot showering with him because I didn't want to burn him so I kept the temperature down from what I was used to.

Mim on
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I just found a border collie, near a bunch of hotels/restaurants, etc, well-groomed, no tags, nobody reported her missing yet and I suspect that she's owned by some guy passing through, is there anything I can do that we haven't thought of to speed her reuniting with her owner?

Probably call your local dog pound/spca and let them know you came across this dog and give them some information to get into contact with you. Other than that, craiglist...maybe, post up sign or two in the area, and lastly take the dog to a vet and get them to scan for a microchip.

Dark_Side on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

Probably call your local dog pound/spca and let them know you came across this dog and give them some information to get into contact with you. Other than that, craiglist...maybe, post up sign or two in the area, and lastly take the dog to a vet and get them to scan for a microchip.

If one is closer a shelter should also scan the dog for you.

You can also call local vets and pet stores and leave your name and phone number, they are the type of places people put up posters for lost dogs. You can also call more than the local shelter, the dog may have wandered quite a ways.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2009
    Mim wrote: »

Hahaha, he doesn't like baths. He used to though when he was baby because we didn't have a bathtub just a shower stall, so when I took a shower he joined me. I froze a lot showering with him because I didn't want to burn him so I kept the temperature down from what I was used to.

Wet shelties are the saddest looking things ever.

They go from this

6a00d8341c859453ef00e54.jpg

to this.
    6a00d8341c859453ef00e54.jpg

Such little dogs... but so much hair.

Aroduc on
  • Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    google wendy the whippet

Medopine on
    edited June 2009
    Those ears are definitely beagle. That snout too.

Rottweiler and Pom still don't explain the webbed feet. That's primarily a bird dog trait.

I think you got scammed.

I mean in the grand scheme of things it's unimportant. Still the mechanics of what that test suggests are staggering. If it's true bravo to the dad. He had some climbing to do.

King Riptor on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dontarguewithscience.jpg

This is Hana.

She is the best dog ever.

I have proven this with science.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited June 2009
    Beagles are by law the best dogs ever.
    Does she do the head tilt? Mine seems to have given up curiosity for cynicism.

As exhibited here
    jewel.jpg

Also I've uploaded a few more to a folder I'll link to that. I also may have a video I'll see if i can dig it up.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd230/KingRiptor/Jewel/

King Riptor on
  • Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    dontarguewithscience.jpg

This is Hana.

She is the best dog ever.

I have proven this with science.

I find this intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter:mrgreen:

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does she do the head tilt?

Of course she does the head tilt!

Also she's incredibly smart. She'll use her paws as little manipulators to help her get a grip on things, also she knows how to open doors but is too small and lacks hands so she can't actually do it. I know she knows because when she wants to come inside she'll jump up at an angle, reaching for the handle.

She'll often "debate" with us when we want her to do something. She'll bark at us as we tell her to do something. She never really barks any other times.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited June 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Does she do the head tilt?

Of course she does the head tilt!

Also she's incredibly smart. She'll use her paws as little manipulators to help her get a grip on things, also she knows how to open doors but is too small and lacks hands so she can't actually do it. I know she knows because when she wants to come inside she'll jump up at an angle, reaching for the handle.

Jewel( my dog) used to do that. I think she gave up and decided to figure out the refrigerator. She constantly tries to wedge it open with her feet and nose. Locked doors are rare at my house so she has free reign.

A fun game for beagles( provided you've clipped their nails) is to scratch a textured surface like an old couch cushion . Do it really slow. 90% of the time the puppy will wig out and start clawing at it attempting to unearth something.

King Riptor on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh god damnit i love it when jack russels do the 'what was that' head tilt

I would try and think up strange noises to get them to do that.

Casual Eddy on